ticktock

XII

 

 

XV

 

 

 

“What is this?” He asked as Xiao Gui corrected him. “Where do we even begin?”

A moment ago, when they were done skipping stones, Aaron and Xiao Gui came up with a small activity for the group. Apple went home for lunch so Aaron decided that now was the time to bring out their treasure maps they designed last night. Aaron wanted to give Gui a small tour so he asked Xiao Gui and Show Luo to design their own maps and bring it with them for today.

“How can he give us something so un-readable?!” Xiao Gui asked as he turns his head to see Aaron and his partner following the map while Show Luo and him are trying to decipher Aaron’s map. They have designed maps with each other since they were interested in treasure hunting so this shouldn’t be such a difficult task. Somehow.... it turns out their skill in this department might be hitting rock bottom… they pray that it wasn’t the case.

“I’m so excited!” Gui cried out as she looks at the map that Show Luo and Xiao Gui came up with. “You guys created this in one night?! That’s amazing!” Aaron smiles as he looks over to Gui, she was trying her best to aid him in any way possible and he appreciated it. “LET’S GO!”

Aaron and Gui followed the map closely, that lead them over a hill, cross a bridge and through trees. “Be careful, it’s a little steep here.” He held out his hand and she looks up at him. Badump, Badump. She reached out and took his hand as they make it over safely. “Let’s get going, we should be close.” He said as he continues to lead the way with the treasure map in his hands. Gui looks over to Aaron and smiles, he really does loves treasure hunting. He says that he wasn’t interested in finding the treasure, it’s the path and the ‘x’ that made him excited for these things.

“We must be getting close!”

Aaron drops his bag on the floor and smiles, pointing at the place that corresponds with the map. “This is it!” Aaron drops to the ground with Gui and began digging up the treasure left behind by his two friends. “This must be it!” She shouted out happily as she held up a bag of goodies. She opened the bag and emptied it to see herself looking at fireworks and a compass. Gui held it up for Aaron and he laughs. He knew they wanted to have fun but couldn’t they be a bit environmental friendly?

“Shall we head back now?”

“Don’t you want to light the fireworks?”

“I want to light it up with everyone.”

“Okay.”

 

.

.

 

The sun was about to set. Gui turns to her side and gazes at the beauty of the sky. The sun was out shining so brightly just a moment ago and now, the sun is saying goodbye to another day as the sky begins to show its warm colours up in the sky. They make their way to their meeting spot but when the two boys were nowhere to be seen, Aaron relaxed himself and told Gui that they might be heading back now. He sat down on the porch and leaned back, relaxed.

“WHOA!”

Aaron slowly opens his eyes to see a shower of pink petals coming down. Gui face brightens up as she held out her hand to see some flower petals landing on her palm.

“This is so beautiful.”

She whispers as her eyes continue to gaze at the scene. Aaron looks at the petals and he suddenly remembered his conversation with Show Luo last night after the party. He got up and walked around the place. When he walked to the back of the house, there was no sign of them but he could hear giggling. He picks up a rock from the ground and threw it at the two ominous figures trying to hide themselves on the rooftop. Nonetheless, Aaron was quick to discover that I fact, it was his two friends disgusting themselves as cupids.

“What are you doing up there?” He hissed at his two friends. They turn around and their eyes widen, surely they knew they weren’t sneaky enough to pull this through…

Aaron, this is your chance!” Show Luo whispers quietly as he points at the shower of petals. “This is it Aaron!” Xiao Gui added as he pointed to his basket, indicating that there isn’t much petals left. So this Cinderella fairy-tale his two buddies has planned all along was what Show Luo was hinting him about. Seeing his two friends go through such methods to bring them together, he wanted to climb up and drag them down but when he heard her voice call out for him, he froze.

“What are you doing back here Aaron?”

“N-Nothing. I saw some cats and I followed them here.”

“I didn’t hear any cats though...” She begins to look around. “That’s because you were too busy looking at the petals.”

Gui smiles as she went to look up but Aaron was quick to stop her. He cleared his throat and walked back to the front to see the petals falling down once again. He had to admit, his friends have outdone themselves, the idea of it is romantic (for the better lack of terminology) but there was just one problem. Between him and Gui; with all these petals in the air, it’s not who they are. Although the idea wasn’t his, he had to admit, Show Luo and Xiao Gui might not be bad as cupids.

“Aaron, I want to tell you something.” She smiles, kicking her feet back and forth. “Thank you for bringing me here.”

“You should thank yourself for that. After all, you did go on the bus.”

“Who knew that it was going to be going out of town?”

He laughs; remembering her expression when she found out that the bus had a one-way route.

“WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING? YOU SHOULDN’T BE LAUGHING!”

“It’s funny; I can’t help but laugh.”

“Oh yeah?” She stood up and pouted. “I’m going to ask your mom about all your secrets!”

“I will like to see you try. She is a pretty hard woman to break, so it’s not going to be easy.”

“I can try!”

“Go ahead; I have nothing to hide.”

Gui laughs. “You're suspicious.” He shrugs, taking in that compliment. Soon, the two noticed that the petals had stopped. He smirked as he looked up and imagined what his two friends up on the roof must be plotting.

“Gui Jie Jie, Aaron Ge Ge, auntie is asking you guys if you guys will like to eat.”

“Of course, I’m hungry!”                                                                                                                               

“Apple, why don’t you girls take a head start, I’m going to wait for Show and Xiao Gui to get here.”

“Are you sure? I can wait with you.” Gui insisted but Aaron shook his head. “Nah, I got a funny feeling that they are just around the corner. I’ll head over soon.”

With that, Apple held onto Gui’s hand and smiles as they make their way back home.

 

When the girls were gone, Aaron looks over to the roof to see the two friends waving at him. “It’s clear, you can come down now.” Aaron shouted out as they glance at each other before climbing down.

“All you had to do was tell her how you felt, why must you complicate it?”

“Yeah Aaron, we gave you the perfect timing but you just talked about god knows what.”

“You two must have a lot of free time huh? Did you guys even solved the map I gave you guys?”

“It was solved, it was easier than we imagined so we finished it.”

Aaron crossed his arms, skeptical that his two friends found his treasure. “Really? That quick?”

“Of course! Don’t you know who we are? We are adventurers!” Show Luo laughs while Xiao Gui nods.

“Anyways… why did you make the map you gave me so difficult?”

“We realllly wanted you guys to take long… since we needed time to set up.” Show Luo and Xiao Gui grinned widely. “If only you confessed, everything would have naturally fallen into place. Why didn’t you do it man? It was all a good-set up!”

Aaron sighs, ignoring the last part.

“Even though we are not together, we are still friends and I like that.”

“Anyway, I’m sure you’ll have tons of chances to get your feelings out there. Let’s go and eat, I’m starving.”

Aaron smiles as he walks with his friends along the street, content with his one-sided feelings.

 

.

.

 

“Do you like Aaron Ge Ge?” Gui froze at Apple’s question. “Gui Jie Jie… do you like Aaron Ge Ge?”

“Why do you ask?”

“Because I think he likes you.”

“What?!”

“Gui Jie Jie, I think Aaron Ge Ge likes you.”

Surprised, Gui looks over at Apple and wonders if she is still in elementary school. She sounds like she is telling her that Aaron really likes her… even though it’s pretty clear that Aaron doesn’t seem like the type to fall for her. They were friends, who she just stumbled upon. He is a friend whom she can depend on, from now on.

 

‘Because there is no way he will like her…. There was no way…’

 

Gui smiles as she decided to change the subject to talking about friends and candies. But there is always that voice in the back of her head, asking her if it was really okay?

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

“Thanks for everything guys.”

“We are buddies man; we are here to help you out.”

Show Luo and Xiao Gui smiles happily as Aaron and Gui say their goodbyes to everyone before leaving. Aaron’s mom yawned, making her way to bed with Aaron’s father. Just as she was about to close her door, she asks Aaron to do the dishes before he sleeps and he told her he would. Apple smiles happily as she made her way to the kitchen, holding onto Gui’s hand. Apple walks over with the towel and held her hand out to Aaron. Gui tried to held back her laugh as Aaron glances between the girls.

“What are you doing lil’one?”

“I’m helping you Aaron Ge Ge.”

“I didn’t know you like Gui Jie so much.” She nods happily, with a bright smile. “It’s because you and me like her Ge Ge so I’m going to grow up just like Gui Jie Jie. My mom tells me every night that I’m going to grow up and have a boyfriend.”

“Does your dad approve of this?” She puts her finger on her lips and both Gui and Aaron found her really cute.

“Shh Aaron Ge Ge, daddy can’t know! This is mine and mommy’s secret!” In Aaron’s eyes, she’ll always be his little cute cousin while in Gui’s eyes, she will be the girl that boys will chase after.

Gui playfully nudges Aaron, telepathically telling him to play along with her and he got her message. “Alright, but promise me that when you do find a boy you like, tell me right away got it?” Seeing Apple shake her head, Gui and Aaron paused and looks at her, puzzled. “The first person I will tell is mommy then I will tell Gui Jie jie. Then Gui Jie Jie will tell you, Aaron Ge Ge!”

Aaron pinches her cheeks and she smiles. “Okay, let’s finish these dishes you two!”

 

When all the dishes were washed, Aaron left to do something quick so Gui and Apple were playing amongst themselves.

“Aaron Ge Ge and I used to play this game; do you want to play with me?” Gui nods, wondering what game Apple is going to suggest. “We pretend to sleep! I don’t know why but I always lose to Aaron when I am playing with him. I always fall asleep before he does and he tells me that every time I wake up...”

Gui giggles. This was his way of getting little Apple to sleep.

“So we both close our eyes and the first person to fall asleep loses right?” Apple nods. “Wanna play with me Gui Jie Jie?”

“Don’t fall asleep on me now!”

“I won’t!” Apple sang happily as she closes her eyes. Seeing how determined she was, Gui joined her as she closes her eyes and hugs her close. Little Apple was nuzzled in her warmth. After counting five minutes in her mind, Gui heard her snoring so she smiles. But when she was about to open her eyes, she heard Aaron’s voice.

“Hey, I’m bac― They’re asleep?”

Aaron came back surprised to see two girls fast asleep on the couch. He quietly walks over to the girls and takes his cousin in his arms, carrying her over to his bed before coming back for Gui. He came back and gently carries Gui into his room, leaving her beside Apple who was already cozy in his bed.

Now that he thinks about it, when did he fall for her? Was it back at the boy’s change room? Did it start when Prime Minister Qiu’s is hosting his charity Gala? Did it happen when she was sick? Or was it earlier than that?

Aaron shakes his head, breaking out of his trance as he leans down to sweep her bands out of her face. His heart kept telling him to confess his feelings but because he doesn’t have the courage to tell her face-to-face, maybe this might be better for them both. She was asleep and he doesn’t have to worry about her finding out or rejecting him. His friends could laugh at him right now for being so pathetic but what could he do, he wants to tell her but at the same time, what would happen to them if he did tell her face-to-face? Would be the aftermath?

So here goes. “I wonder if we can be more than… just friends….” As soft and quiet as he has ever been, he heavily sighs, shaking his head. He picked up the things he needed and made his way to his room. ‘Aaron you idiot! How pathetic do you sound right now?’ He mentally scolded himself as he retreated to his room.

When she heard the door close, Gui opens her eyes and covers her lips. ‘Aaron… likes me?!’ She looks over to see Apple fast asleep. “You’re right little one… he does have feelings for me…” She places her hand over her heart to monitor her heart  beat. ‘Could this be?’

 

 

.

.

 

 

The next morning came and everyone in the Yan household was busy. Gui was in the kitchen with Mrs. Yan while Aaron was packing their bags for the trip. He went through everything to make sure he did not miss anything. While Gui was helped Aaron’s mother with breakfast and lunch before she leaves.

 

 

“Thank you Auntie, for letting me see my parents again… thank you.” Mrs. Yan held Ying Jie’s hand gently. “I am your mother’s friend; we grew up here in this village together. Thank you for coming here with my Ya Lun.” She presents Gui the disc that Aaron made yesterday. Mrs. Yan wanted to give Ying Jie the entire collection but Aaron knew his mother’s heart, she couldn’t find it in her heart to break away from those discs so he made a second copy.

“Thank you auntie.”

“Your parents were one of the happiest couple and because of it, they left one thing behind for you, hoping you can cherish it.” Mrs. Yan gently embraces her and smiles. “My dear, even though you feel they didn’t leave much for you. There will come a day when you’ll discover that they left behind more than what the eye can see. *Mrs. Yan pulls away* It was one of the mother’s redeeming traits. And that’s how your father fell in love with your mother.”

Mrs. Yan wipes the tears away for Ying Jie. “Do what you love and look forward to your own future.”

Mrs. Yan hugs her one last time before letting her go to see her son walking out of his room with two bags in his hands. “I came here with one bag and I planned on leaving with one. Who knew that I would be leaving with two bags?” He teased Gui as he glance over to see the second disc he made in Gui’s hand.

“Here, let me help you.” When Gui came over, he dodged her and made his way to the door. “Can you get the door for me?” Gui smiles as she opens the door to see everyone waiting for them outside the house. Aaron sighs as he walks out and walks over to the car, putting the bags in the trunk first before he greets everyone for the last time.

“Well, I hope you weren’t hoping to leave with saying goodbye to us.” Xiao Gui asks as Apple ran over to Gui and hugged her. “AWWW, GUI GUI JIE JIE! Do you have to leave?” Gui bends down to hug her. “I don’t want to go either but I have to go with Aaron, our friends are waiting for us to join them.”

“Then can you come over and play with me? How about summer? Aaron Ge Ge can bring you back with him!”

Aaron lifts his cousin up and smiles happily. “You really want to play with Gui Jie Jie this much?” Seeing his cousin nod excitedly, he can’t help but laugh. “When we are both free, I will ask Gui Jie Jie okay?” Apple nods as Aaron puts her down.

Xiao Gui and Show Luo came over, teasing each other about having a none of those sappy goodbyes they see every now and then. Show Luo talked about his plans to remain in the big city to pursue his dream of being an archeologist while Xiao Gui is planning on taking over the family business. When the conversation was at the peak, Xiao Gui came over to Gui and gave her the compass she discovered yesterday during the treasure hunt with Aaron.

“Show and I wanted to give this to you. When you look for treasure, it can be in daylight or when the moon is out so with this compass, we want you to find yourself back to wherever it is you need to go.” After a moment of silence, Xiao Gui dropped the compass in her hands and scratches his head. “Ohh, that sounds soooo cliché~ I will not repeat what I said! So keep it, it’s yours now.”

Feeling shy all of the sudden, Xiao Gui walks over to Aaron and head-locked him. “Running away from us so soon huh? Well this is your goodbye present!” They burst into laughter while Gui rotate herself 360° to find the dial pointing north. She looks up and noticed that it was pointed at the Aaron and his friend.

“Here you are; food for the trip. I also packed some extra treats for your friends so feel free to eat it.” Surprised, Gui turns around and thanks Mrs. Yan for the food. “Thank you Auntie.”

She heard Aaron’s voice beside her. “Thanks mom.”

“Drive safely Aaron.”

“Congrats Show and Xiao Gui, looks like you two realize where you want to be.” Xiao Gui and Show Luo smiles happily. “We might come and visit you in the big city!” Then Uncle Yan spoke up.  “and good luck to you two. My nephew finally met someone who is as beautiful and kind as you Ying Jie. IF he treats you unfairly, send me a postcard and I will knock some sense into him!”

Everyone burst into laughter, everyone except for Aaron who cleared his throat and looks away.

Mrs. Yan laughs happily. “Your father left early this morning for his trip but he told me to tell you to be safe.” Aaron walks over and hugs his mother. “I want you two to be happy.” She whispers to him before she pulled away from him. He stands beside his mom and looks over to Gui who was talking to Apple with a huge smile on both of their faces. “Or else I’ll send your uncle to Taipei to knock some sense into you.”

Aaron laughs as he walks over to Gui, telling her that it was time to leave. She walks over to car with Aaron and smiles happily. “Are you ready?” Gui fasten the seatbelt and looks over to Aaron. “I’m ready!”