ticktock

XII

 

 

 

I

 

 

AARON YAN’S PART

“Grandpa! Grandpa! LOOK WHAT I JUST DID!”

The 6 year old Yan Ya Lun exclaimed, jumping up and down in one place as his grandfather placed the clock he was working on down, bending down to his grandson’s eye level.

He took the clock  in his hand, holding it up as he examined the clock.

“My oh my, did you do this son?”

Yan Ya Lun nodded as he smiled proudly, placing his hands on his hips, pointing at his grandfather.

“One day, I want to grow up and be just like you!”

He chuckled happily, opening his drawer as he took out a clock-like pendent. He walked back to his grandson, putting him on his lap as he dangled the pendent in front of him. The little Yan Ya Lun stared at the silver chain, the pendent was glass, a glass clock.

“What is this?”

“Have you heard of the fairytale Cinderella?”

“EW! That’s for girls! I’m a boy!”

“OHO yes you are! But son, do you know why I have this?”

He shook his head, still looking at the glass pendent glistening in the sun.

“How many are there in time?”

“That’s easy! Twelve!” Ya Lun smiled as his grabbed the pendent in his hands, with a puzzled look. “But Grandpa... Why is there no number on it? Why are there lines?”

His grandfather chuckled, ruffling his hair. “They are numbers too.”

“WHAT? THESE ARE NUMBERS?! HOW?! IS IT ALIEN LANGUAGE? OH GRANDPA! YOU KNOW ALIEN LANGUAGE?”

“These are called roman numerals. These are numbers belong to the ancient language.”

“Ancient?! YOU STOLE IT FROM THE MUSEUM?! HOW CAN YOU?!”

He laughed loudly, placing him on the floor as he walked over to the clock he was working on.

“My friend and I are the best of friends. He made half of this clock while I made the other. What is the clock missing Ya Lun?”

Ya Lun smiled as he looked up his grandpa. “The clock’s hands are gone!”

“Yes, the hands are not there. When my friend and I were making it, we decided to take it apart and pass it down to our grand children. And here I am, passing this glass clock over to you.”

“Why?”

“When you grow up, find the person who the other parts.”

“Parts....? THE CLOCK’S HAND?”

“Yes. The clock’s hands. I believe you can find the other parts if you try hard enough.”

“But Grandpa... Why me?”

“I want to give you a heirloom and this is your heirloom. I asked you before if you have read Cinderella right? Do you remember what the fairy godmother said? She said once it strikes midnight, Cinderella must come home before everything goes back to normal. I want you to meet Cinderella, your Cinderella.”

“EWW~ GIRLS HAVE COOTIES THOUGH!”

“OH? So you’re saying mommy and grandma have cooties?”

Ya Lun shook his head. “Only mommy and gramma do not have cooties! Cause they are COOOL!”

Ya Lun stopped talking and sniffed the air, smelling freshly baked gingerbread. He smiled as Grandpa Yan handed the pendent over to him, gently pushing him to go eat.

“My My, I wonder if you’ll ever find the other half.” Grandpa Yan whispered as he looked over to the frame on his desk, a picture of him and his friend, Mr. Wu.

“When the clock strikes midnight...” He said softly as he took a pencil and wrote down the roman numerals, XII. “Only then, will she appear at the of midnight?”

 

 

 

 

 - Present time -

 

 

 

 

SHENG YI’S POV

I rolled the glass of wine in my hands, watching the red liquid gravitate around the glass. I sighed as someone walked into the room, carrying a tool box.

“Isn’t it a bit early to fix the clocks?”

 

Ignored.

 

I, Qiu Sheng Yi, son of the prime minister, a soccer player, a popular boy who girls yearn to be with me, ME, ignored. By who? This boy who only knows how to fix clocks, sure he was popular but he is not as popular as I was. Aaron Yan, the clock master’s son, who also is a soccer player.

I placed my glass down and glanced over at him, “Aren’t you embarrassed at your status? I mean, you are working and getting oil stains on your clothes, just to look at clocks? I still don’t understand why you take such good care of these ugly things.”

“Zip it, son.”

I turned back to watch my father walk into the room, sitting down on the 10 foot long table in front of me, as he began cutting his steak.

“Sheng Yi, there’s nothing good about you as well so stop. Anyways, do you remember what happened on your 17th birthday?”

I opened my mouth only to have my father stop me. “You want to be one of those reckless, no-rules, bad boys huh? Let me tell you something son, even though you are reckless and still so young back then, you are still the prime minister’s son, so act like one. The annoying tabloids are always looking for ways to bring me down and I want everything to be perfect, especially my family. So act like the son of the prime minster.”

“What was ssooo wrong about my 17th bash? All I did was have a garden party, blast the music OH AND HOW CAN I FORGET? There were also girls in bikini’s and tight dress fitted ladies that spent time with me. By this age, you should know how I roll? I am precious, like a gem.”

“I RECIEVED A COMPLAINT FROM THE POLICE! AND LET’S NOT FORGET HOW YOU FOOLS COMPLETELY DESTORYED THE GARDEN! I did warn you son, do not mess with the garden because it’s your mother’s precious–“

“Mom should be happy that his son is spending his days like this and besides, I didn’t do much harm to the garden, the party did. So I don’t see the need to blame this whole situation on me, since YOU were the one who wanted me to have a party in celebration on your election and YOU were the one who trust this bad boy who you call a son, heir to the stupid title. C’mon dad, think about it, a prime minister, me? Let’s think realistically for a moment. I have no intention of being prime minister, it’s not fit for me. Therefore, it’s your fault, not mine so save the act of being fatherly and give me my freedom to party.”

I pushed my plate of food away, getting up from my seat. Great, I have officially lost my appetite. I was ready to leave the room until my dad spoke.

“Precisely my point son, so that’s why I am taking over this year.”

“What?!”

“I am going to be the one who will plan your 18th birthday party” I heard him chuckled as my eyes widen.

“Of course, the guest list will be chosen by you but seeing how your last birthday turned out, I will take this chance to invite some of my friends who will bring my rep up.”

“WHAT? IT’S MY BIRTHDAY! MY DAY! MY NAME! HOW CAN YOU–“

“End of discussion.”

My father got up but turned around not to see me but Aaron. “Aaron you are invited as well. You are permitted to bring whoever you wish as your partner for the party, anyone is fine with me so do not hesitate to do so. Since my son is such a disgrace, it’s a relief that there is at least someone who still has his brain intact.”

I kicked the cabinet near the door, watching one of the vase break into pieces as the flowers fly out. Water scattered all around the floor as I glanced over to my father who was adjusting his tie; trying to control his temper.

“DAD! IT’S MY PARTY, MY FRIENDS, MY RULES!”

“Aaron, I will send an invitation over to you. I hope you will come to this event lad.”

“FATHER!”

And he left the room as he did, I continue to kick the cabinet before turning my attention to Aaron.

“What are you scheming?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?! How did you get my father on your side? He isn’t a man that you can easily please so what did you do?”

“Then how about you switch bodies with me, I’m sure you will find your answers then.”

“Aaron... You rotten bastard!” I stormed out of the room, grabbed my jacket and drove away.

 

I stopped the car and walked out, throwing the keys over to the man and walked into the club. Next thing I know, I had two hot girls on each arm, I smirked delighted by the warm welcome as I walked over to my buddies who were already having the best time of their life.

“LET’S DRINK TO THE END MY FRIEN~D!!”                                                         

I grabbed the bottle away from him and chugged it down. “WOOOO~ AND THE PARTTY BEGINS!”

I looked over to Ah Wei who was wrapping his arms around this girl, pulling her closer to kiss her. While Ao Quan walked over to the dance floor with Fabien who was already pouring their hearts on their dance floor. I looked over to William who had a girl on his arm, drinking.

 

 

Welcome to my world, parties, alcohol, dancing and a ton of games waiting for you, would you like to join me?

 

 

 

 

 

GUI GUI’S PART

“NOOOO!! PLEASE, I WILL DO ANYTHING YOU WANT, JUST PLEASEE, PLEASSEE DON’T DO IT!”

As her two stepsisters gleam with happiness, tossing her father’s old things away. Gui’s eyes begin to water as the things her father once owned and cherished deeply was being thrown into the fire.

“YOU MONSTER! STOP!” Gui took hold of one of the pile the maids were holding, shaking it out of their grip as the maids watch her, pitying her. The things that mean the most to Gui, the things that mean the most, the things that made her childhood, real, innocent and loved was being thrown away like garbage.

“NOOO!! I SAID YOU CAN’T BURN THIS! STOP!”

When Gui instructed the maids to bring a bucket of water to put the fire out of the fireplace, they stepped aside only to stop to find someone walking in.

“Stop.”

Everyone in the room paused so Gui took this chance and snatched the things that her stepsister was holding onto.

“HOW COULD YOU?! AFTER ALL MY FATHER HAS DONE TO YOU? HOW CAN YOU JUST THROW THEM AWAY LIKE THIS? THESE ARE THE STUFF DAD WORKED LONG AND HARD FOR, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO–“

The stepmother walked over and slapped her in the face.

“Do you not know your situation right now? You’re not a little child anymore so grow up and act like a grown up.”

Gui looked at her, completely furious.

“LIKE I SAID, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO DO THIS TO MY FATHER’S BELONGINGS! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT! NO RIGHT! YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT TO DO THIS! MY FATHER TRUSTED YOU AND THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY HIM!?”

“Your father was an idiot for believing in ‘love at first sight.’ Humans who are power hungry will take advantage of that and manipulate it to their benefits. Have you not realized the position you are currently in? My intention wasn’t to build a family. It was to inherit this property, money, and inheritance. I am just throwing these old things away because they are a waste of space.” She looked at the men who suddenly stopped. “What are you guys doing? Throw them into the fire NOW.”

“NOOOOOO!!”

The stepmother signalled the guards to hold Gui back as she struggled to break free. One by one, the things her parents cherished, photos, documents, things that mean the world to her was thrown away.

 

 

Just like that.

 

 

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!”

As the things inflamed the fire more and more, her eyes beam with joy. In addition to Gui kneeling on the floor, tear stained face, held back unable to do anything made her overwhelmed with joy to hear the doorbell ring. Why didn’t she do this earlier? How did she think of this genius plan just now?

When the stepsisters left to see who it was at the door, the stepmother picks up a book and walks over to the fireplace. She flipped over the cover, reading the excerpt. Once she sees no importance in it, she tossed it into the fire.

“I will give you a motherly advice. In this power infested world, one must manipulate to get what they want from the other party. The difference between you and I is that I have the brains and the looks to succeed. You on the other hand is a sad, lonely girl who is plain, ugly, dumb, selfish, greedy and delusional girl.”

With every word she spoke, she tore a page and threw it into the fire. As each page went into the fire, the tears fall harder as the guards continue to hold her down.

“N–NOOOOOOO!”

“Being in love cannot get you much in this world. You cannot depend solely on the heart, do you know why? Because it supplies oxygen for us to survive, to live. Your mind creates an illusion that makes you think that your heart controls who you love and deems it as ‘you are in love’ but in reality, the heart, love, this worthless romance can’t give you success.”

She threw a whole pile into the fire before signalling the guards to lift up Gui. She lifted her chin with her finger, looking in to her angry expression.

“Do not blame me for doing this. I am doing this as the wife of late Mr. Wu.”

“A mistress. You’re a damn who seduced my father into marrying yo–“

Gui’s cheeks redden as she clenched onto her fists to hold her tears from flowing.

“YOU HAVE DISGRACED MY FATHER, MY MOTHER, AND MY FAMILY. I WILL NEVER LET YOU GOO! I WILL NEVER LET YOU GO!!”

The stepmother’s lips grinned as she bent down to meet her eye level. “Dear child, everything that is once yours will be mine. Everything you have will be mine, do you understand me now?”

She then looked at the remaining pile of things that belonged to the Wu’s. “These things are a great way to save wood. We will save these for the next time we need to heat the mansion up.” She signalled the maids to come over to tidy the living room. Just in time to have her two daughters running in, excitedly.

“GAHHH~ IT FINALLY CAME! MOM, LOOK! ISN’T IT PRETTY?”

“Yes dear, the invitation looks stunning. As expected of our respected prime minister, Mr. Qiu.”

“MOM LET’S GO SHOPPING! I NEED A NEW DRESS FOR THIS PARTY! I NEED MY DRESS AND MY MASK TO MATCH! LET’S GO GOO GOOO! PRONTO!”

“Ladies, I have took the liberty to enroll my beautiful daughters in etiquette classes. If your annoying shrieks and voices are irritating me, then you are not worthy to go to this ball.”

“MOM!” The two sisters shrieked. With one brow arched, they settled down and obeyed her. “Yes, mother. We understand.”

“Now that’s more ladylike.”

The mother crossed her arms before looking over to see another envelope underneath the pile of mail they received. Addressed to another unexpected name, she turned around to see Gui standing from afar. Without hesitation, she waved the envelope in the air.

“A place so clean and sophisticated does not suit you, Wu Ying Jie. It is better to know your place, the sooner the better.” She ripped the envelope in front of her. To her, this wasn’t like stealing a candy from a child, this is crushing her dreams.

As Ying Jie watch the envelope rip into tiny pieces, she found her eyes looking at her father’s portrait hanging proudly in the living room.

“C’mon girls, we are going shopping for your big day.”

The mother rushed the girls out of the room leaving Ying Jie alone.

“You ungrateful insolent child. I disliked you when I married your father and now that he is dead, I wonder where all his fortune would go? Don’t you wonder that too?” Pleased, the mother of her two daughters, a stepmother to Emma Wu Ying Jie smirked, leaving the room completely only leaving behind the smell of her strong scent of lavender.

 When the noises in the mansion became quiet. Ying Jie looked out the window to see them driving away. Once they were out of sight, she walked over to the pile with her hands shaking every time she touches the things her family left behind, she cried harder. It was enough for her to go down to a maid’s status, but now she just witnessed every book torn, ripped, and tossed away. It was like every precious memory she ever has vanished, perished, torn apart.

 

 

Just like that.

 

 

While the maids were quietly cleaning up, a box rolled down to the bottom of the pile, in front of her. Her eyes looked down to see an ordinary box. Slowly, she opened the box only to find a bottle of two metal strips inside and a note. ‘What’s this?’

She walked into library, sitting on the window ledge with the box on her lap.

She read the note first.

 

To my beautiful daughter Ying Jie,

I planned to present this box to you on your 18th birthday but if you opening this box to find this note still inside, it must mean that something must’ve happened. I am terribly sorry for not being able to spend not as much time with you as I should’ve. I have been a terrible father and I am sorry for not being there with you as you grow into a wonderful women. You are as precious as time, whenever I lay my eyes on you, you are always smiling, the smile that was adorned by my father and now me, treasure your smile my sweet child. As for the bottle you just received, your grandfather wanted to give you this as your happy birthday present. Inside are two hands that belong to one special clock. I hope you find the owner who has the clock and return these two pieces to him. And lastly, never forget that no matter how far you are from others, it does not mean we are far away. We will always be watching over you, your grandparents, mom and dad will always be with you. So don’t be discouraged when things get rough, be strong and find your strength to carry on.

Love and always will, your father.

 

 

Her vision blurred, it wasn’t long until she lost her strength to cry. The tears that she held onto ever since the day her stepmother took control off overpowered her, all the pain, the waiting, the pleas, and the suffering came out in an instant.

‘Where did I go wrong?’