02

The Silver Lining

 

  'Wait!!" Suzy caught Jieun's arms as she walked away, mad.  She didn't even want to look at Suzy's face at the moment. How could he ask her out? But what was worse.. How could she accept his number?

"What?!" Jieun glared at her, snatching her hands off. "Here to boast about your new boyfriend?" Jieun rolled her eyes.

  "Lee Jieun. What's wrong with you? You know i would never go out with him. Here." Suzy passed the paper with Baekhyun's number into Jieun's hands. "You call him. This is a new chance for you. Do whatever you can, i'm not interested in him at all." Suzy assure, trying to get on her good side.

  "Sure?"

"Sure. Positively." Suzy smiled back. Jieun surrendered to her anger, giving a smile.

  "Thanks alot Suzy.. You're the only person whoa actually understands me.. All the other girls just straight out went for him even though they knew i liked him.."

  "WHat?"

 

"I remember in Middle School i got dissed by 4 girls in total.. It was 1st semester, i remember Park SooJin.."

 

"That in our Dance class?"

 

"Yeah that one. She was in my Maths class in middle school and it was just so coincidental that Me Baekhyun and her got grouped for a presentation.. and apparently they went out behind my back although SooJin knew.. And do i need to explain the rest?"

 

  "Baekhyun was little back then.. You guys were only 14.. You know Baekhyun's smart enough to have realised that SooJin only went for his popularity and smarness so that she could top her grades to come to this academy?"

  "Yeah, but if he knew, why would he still have agreed to it?"

 

"You can ask him tonight." Suzy smiled, puzzling Jieun. "What? Bae Suzy.. What are you talking about? Tonight..?"

 

"Mm.. Baekhyun wanted to go on a cinema date or something tonight.. I thought elite students were always wise when making choices about girlfriends and everything.. why is he so quick?"

  "Really?!" Jieun exclaimed in happiness. "But.. What if he just cancels the whole thing because i went.."

 

"Possibly." Suzy nodded. "But He's the person you like, right? You shouldn't give up so easily, i mean what's thte point of even going to this if you're just going to go home bawling your eyes out after he rejected you?"

   "Are you claiming that he'll reject me?"

 

"50/50, You never know. Just because someone's nice to you doesn't mean that they necessarily like you." Suzy made an innocent face. "Just being honest with you."

  "Yeah sometimes you're too honest.." Jieun murmured under her breath.

 

--6:00PM Cinema--

 

  "Maybe i should just go home.." Jieun groaned over the phone to Suzy, as she looked around trying to find Baekhyun. "WHat if he's really pissed because you didn't show up or something.."

 

"Did you find him?" Suzy asked, compltely ignoring Jieun's little complex situation going on.

 

"Hello? Did you hear anything i said?"

 

"Then should i go on the date for you? You don't want that. right?"

 

"Well.."

 

"You don't. End of story. Look i really have to go, you've been on the phone with me the past 30 minutes i really have to go my Maths tuition. Hang up"

"Hello? Hello?! Bae Suzy?!" Jieun snapped her phone back inside her bag, nervously looking around the place. There were so much students from other high schools all on dates, yet she couldn't find the boy with the handsome small face and brown hair. he should really stand out, but he wasn;t the tallest, she guessed that was the downside in a cinema full of tall guys.

 

    Jieun ended up missing the first movie session, waiting for the place to clear up so that she could spot Baekhyun. She lookd around, spotting Baekhyun sitting on a porcelain engraved seat, looking disappointed. He had two movie tickets clutched inside his hand, dressed like a little prince. Jieun took a deep breath befor she slowly took her steps towards Baekhyun looking down the floor.

 

   'B..Baekhyun?" She called out weakly, looking down at his face. He jerked his head up with a smile, soon fading away when he saw Jieun's face.

   'Do i know you?" Baekhyun snapped in a cold tone. Ouch, that hurt.

 

"I.. i'm Suzy's friend.." Jieun replied in a quiet tone, trying her best not to cry. She could already feel her tears making way to her eyes. Maybe she expected too much after seeing him act nice just once.

 

"Yeah i know that. The bad dancer between the two. "

 

"Gee thanks.."

 

"Anyway. Why are you here? I have a schedule with Suzy. I'm sort of Busy?" Baekhyun rolled his eyes, standing up.

 

"Yeah, that's the thing.. Suzy.." Jieun mouthed her words but nothing came out. SHe didn't really want to say that she came to the date instead because Suzy had no interest in him and that she had been crushing on him since middle school.

 

   "Suzy has tutoring! Yeah that's it.." Jieun laughed half heartedly. "Yeah, she does mathematics and she felt really bad for leaving you so she sent me instead."

 

  "Couldn't she just text me instead of sending you?"

 

"Uh.. I think she lost your number.." Jieun nodded awkwardly. The two stood there with a silence covering the both of them. Baekhyun was staring into Jieun's soul, trying to work out whether Jieun was lying.

  "You're lying."

 

"I am not!"

 

"Yes you are. I can tell."

 

"I am not!" Jieun's cheeks went red.

 

"Why are your cheeks going red? Did you say something false?"

 

For the sake of her heart, she kept it in for Baekhyun. She was sure he was only acting that mean to her because all guys are like that at first, they didn't open up for any other girl except their own.

 

"Do you want to go watch a different movie..?"

 

"Nah. I need to go study for the next exam.. I don't want to waste my time here.." He said sarcastically, slowly walking away down into the escalator where his presense disappeared in Jieun's eyes. Jieun stood there, trying so hard not to cry. He had scrunched up the movie tickets and tore them apart, as they laid sprinkled on the ground.

   She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself but even that seemed to be more painful.

She just didn't understand. She was exactly like Suzy. Why would he hate her? Why couldn't he just take her? DId he really like Suzy and only her?

 

   She wiped the tears off her eyes, as she trailed after the escalator that Baekhyun took down. She phoned Suzy, trying her hardest not to cry.

"Hello?" Suzy's muffled voice came from the speaker.

 

"Suzy.." She sniffled, "I don't think we're meant to be.."

 

"WHy? what happened?" She asked, in a voice full of worry. Suzy sounded as she could tear up any moment too.

 

"He.. he just left.. he was being so mean to be Suzy.. He said i was a waste of time and that he has better things to do.." Jieun turned into a pool of tears.

 

Suzy sighed, like there was a bad news coming on.

 

"Jieun ah.. How do i say this..?"

 

"What..?" Jieun winced, trying to clear her tears as she reached the end of the escalator.

 

"Baekhyun's not such a good boy.."

 

'What, he's not a ?"

 

'Ew. How wrong is your mind? Maybe i should have said innocent although that's exactly the same.. You know it feels as we're the only ones who didn't know this.. But apparently Baekhyun's father is in jail.."

   "But it's not Baekhyun that's affected.. So what's the problem.."

 

"You know, Apparently his mother hooked up with Park SooJin's mother. ANd Baekhyun's apparently living together with SooJin bcause of their parents or something!"

 

   "WHat?! Don't lie to me Suzy."

 

"If you don't belive me, check yourself! I even saw them go into the same house!! It's Bizzare!"

 

 

"Looks like i've got some stalking to do. WHo really is Baekhyun?"