01

The Silver Lining

   

   Two girls sat, glaring at their 45% Composition Music paper. They had been both cut off 30% for cheating off each other in the second part of the exam. Suzy could have gotten a 75%, but she didn't want to get over half mark when she knew that Jieun was a total er at Compositions. Especially after she screwed herself up in the composition recital last month where she embarrassed herself infront the guy she had been crushing on for her entire schooling career.

  "Well look at the bright side.. At least we got something?" Suzy chuckled half heartedly, trying to calm Jieun who was very upset. "I mean it's better than getting 0% right..? I heard Kim Jisook got 0% for using a mobile phone in class using a previous composition she used.." Suzy sighed.

"It's not helping.." Jieun ran her fingers through her hair, puffing her distress out. Jieun wasn't a very bright child, nor a very social child. However, she had a bit of a beauty going on her face- the one thing she liked about herself.

   "I'm not good at anything.. I'm a total wallflower and im so stupid.." She grunted on, as she did so for the past 3 years. She had felt particularly useless over the years where students got 95% and there was a big gap for her getting just over half mark. She was currently second last in her entire year, and she was close to getting pushed down to getting last in the year younger than her.

   The only reason she was attending Kirin Arts high school was for two reasons. That was the only school who helped students trying to become a singer,composer,dancer, you name it. Jieun had wanted to become a singer so bad, but every one of her teachers said she just had no variation in her voice.  At all.

  

  "I shouldn't even be likin Baekhyun.." Jieun whispered. "He's such a elite student.. He gets above 85% in every single subject there is at this school.." She buried her face into her hands in shame. She felt of such low class to even liking someone who she could never be with, because they had so much differences.

  "Love and Study are whole different things Lee Jieun.. You never know. Baekhyun might have a thing for dumb girls like you!" Suzy sniggered, nudging Jieun's shoulders.

 "Gee. that helps. Doesn't it?"

 

"But you know.. Our SATS arent that far too and you should start studying too.. I mean like i see Baekhyun in the library cracking on his textbook already, you know love is something but going to college is another thing.. Most crushes get 'crushed' away easily after seeing their different side.. It could be the same for you.."

 

"But for me.. love is more important."

 

"Stop saying like that sweetie." Suzy pinched Jieun's cheeks."Will you gain your sanity after getting a 0%?" She grinned,slipping her test paper into her bag so that no one would see. "Oh yeah," Suzy snapped. "Are you signing up for the dormitories this year? Apparently we can choose to go home instead of dorms."

  "Really? What are you doing?"

 

"Proabably dormitory.. All i ever go home to is a mother who puts up horrendous side dishes, a father who reacts to it, and a middle schooler brother who's going through puberty.. nothing to see there. he stinks up the place so hard.." Suzy said in dismay. "But then you know i heard that Popular boy gang is also all doing dormitory too, i don't know too much.. they are really loud at night.."

  "The Popular gang?" Jieun smiled for the first time that period, exciteded at hearing the 'Popular Gang'.

 

"I guess you're doing dorm too then..?" Suzy imitated Jieun as she stared at the dormitory sign up sheet. "After all.. Baekhyun's in the gang too.." She sighed.

   "Don't ask such obvious questions! I need to sign up in the same Dorm corridor as Baekhyun before some other girl does! I don't want to miss the chance! WHo knows? We could be sharing the same resort even!"

   "Yeah yeah.. Like last year, we were three blocks away from the gang." Suzy said sarcastically. "Good luck with that.. You know every girl's aiming for that split chance you're aiming for. I really don't understand you. All the girls like Luhan. Why do you like Baekhyun? He looks like a petetite little girl and he's such a nerd.."

   "He is not! You're just jealous because his face is smaller than yours." Jieun blew a raspberry. "What is it that you have against Baekhyun? He is a perfectly gorgeous guy! DOn't tell me, you're a lesbian. Well sorry, i'm taken!" Jieun joked as she stood up, clutching her back pack.

   'Where are you going?" Suzy asked, following after her.

"I SHould sign up bfore those other girls do.. Who knows? getting an early move makes everything much much better!" Jieun exclaimed, skipping over to the sign up sheet to notice that there was already a big line of girls trying to shove into the line. But they all seemed to be in distress- seeing that the Popular flower boy gang hadn't signed up yet, and the girls were yet in dismay in to which dorm they were to choose.

 

   "I told you.. If that's when the boys aren't there, imagine when they are there. You're done for Lee Jieun." Suzy muttered. "Do you wanna go for a game of Dance game Arcade? I want to relieve all the stress from the test anyway.."

 

   "Let's go go!" Jieun said happily, as they both headed outside the school for their free period. The streets of Seoul were empty because most people were at work, and the people waited boredly in shops waiting for customers. They got on the bus and took an empty seat on the window seat, enjoying as the cold winter air hit their face.

 

 

 

 

    Suzy Sighed.

 

"Bae Suzy. What's wrong? You're sighing a lot more than usual.." Jieun asked, glancing at Suzy who had a downright face. She kept on checking her phone which seemed to be flooding with millions of text messages from her mother.

 

   "My Mom's angry at me because i flunked my test again.." Suzy murmured. "She's kicking me to the dormitories anyway.." Suzy looked as she could cry any moment. Jieun felt guilty. Because of her, Suzy had been cut of 30% of her marks trying to help Jieun.

 

  'Y..ya.. You don't have to help me anymore.. If you keep on getting cut marks like that and i ruin your SATS.. what do i become you know..? Focus on yours.." Jieun said with a small grin, feeling sorry. She held Suzy's hands and smiled, as Suzy smiled back.

    'Lee Jieun. You got more mature! Where's the girl always asking for the answers?"

 

'Shut up!" Jieun nudged her, and they began laughing through the whole trip until the bus stopped at the destination where there was a small shopping mall. Alot of students dwelled there after school because there was a Arcade at the top of the building, and often there were dance dance arcade competetions which Jieun and Suzy entered annually.

 

 

 

  

   Suzy and Jieun often came at the free periods where it was less crowded, so they could always practice their dance on a supported practice. The arcade game was perfect for practicing their dance really. That's how SUzy had mastered dance in such a short period of time, because she had the reflexes.

 

   "1 Round of Poker face?" Jieun called, as she entered a token inside the machine and selected Poker face by Lady Gaga. The floorboard buttons began lighting up, as Suzy and Jieun both got on the floor and started dancing. Dancing was what always made the two the most happy. It was the only time where they could escape from reality, turn into little smiling viruses and forget all the stress the world gives them to pass the SATS. They were probably the only students out playing during the studying periods of the SATS.

 Right foot towards the green light, Left foot to the back red corner, the dance went on before the song finished, they had cleared the level without a single flaw. They were panting, but the smile was engraved onto their face after having so much fun.

 

 

 

   "What song is nex- Oh .." Suzy covered her face, hiding behind her backpack. 'What's wrong..?" Jieun asked cluelessly, as she turnd around to find out that Baekhyun's gang had been watching them dance the entire level. Jieun saw the guys smiling impressively, checking out the two of them. Jieun's cheeks went rosy pink, unable to hide her embararssment. Another freak show infront of her crush. Just Great.

 

    "You guys are good..!" Baekhyun proclaimed, as he smirked a friendly smirk. He slid another token into a machine, and chose level 5, Rainism by Rain. "But can you verse the master?" Baekhyun thumped to his chest, as he pulled Suzy upto the stage. Jieun watched in jealousy as the two laughed and got along, dancing their hardest on the machine.

  They were a laughing bunch, bumping into each other laughing and giggling, giving those love punches to each other often. As Jieun hated to say, unsuprisingly they made a extremely good couple. Baekhyun was tall, and so was Suzy, and she was pretty. They were like a couple made in heaven. Then there was the short, average looking Jieun.

  

 The song soon ended, as Suzy stepped down wiping the little beads of sweat off her forehead.

 

 

  Baekhyun high fived his mates, as he chuckled and walked towards Suzy.

 

 

 

"Wanna go out? I like you."

 

 

 

 

Jieun stood there, dumbfounded. Had her crush just asked her bestfriend out and not her?