Chapter Six

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Hi guys! Thank you so much for subscribing and commenting! I'm feeling really inspired right now so probably more chapters to come! :D Anyway, I was supposed to upload this chapter last night but I couldn't since I lost connection :( Anyway, here it is! 


 

There was something oddly soothing about Coffee Cat that just draws me in every time I visit Hongdae. I like how the place looks, all cosy and it's not over crowded unlike other coffee shops here. Plus the coffee here is amazingly good. I don't know why Coffee Cat won't open a branch in Seoul, it'd be much more easier for me than going all the way here to Hongdae just for coffee.

"Earth to Choi Nanhee~ Is she there?"

Huh? Oh right, Hyoyeon.

"Seriously, you like to space out don't you?" Did I forget to mention that Hyoyeon hates being ignored just like her annoying cousin?

"Mianhe, I was thinking of something."

"Hmm...more like someone. Ya! When are you gonna introduce me to your boyfriend!"

We've been talking for a good hour now and our topics seemed to branch out from me getting fired to the situation with my mom and now...

"You've already talked to him over the phone Hyoyeon-ah."

This.

"I know! But I haven't physically met him~ I've never even SEEN a photo of him before!"

It's not that I'm hiding him or acting like the protective jealous girlfriend, which often times I do act actually...but that's beside the point. I have a very good reason as to why I don't introduce him to my friends. Even Himchan hasn't met him.

"He's really busy nowadays Hyoyeonie, maybe some other time."

Hyoyeon just grunted and chugged her now lukewarm coffee before slamming it down oh so forcefully onto the table. I swear everyone was looking at us right now. Hyoyeon must have felt all the attention so she turned and glared at all the onlookers telling them to mind their own business.

"Ya Kim Hyoyeon! Don't cause a scene! I like the coffee here!"

"Nanhee-ah, how many years have we known each other?"

Uh... "More than 10 years."

"Correct, and unlike with Himchan, you seem to like to hide a lot of stuff from me. Is this what our friendship is like? Hiding things?"

Uh no, really it's not like that... "Hyoyeon-ah~ It's not...like that.."

"Well? Why won't you introduce him? I'm not gonna steal him, I'm not even remotely interested in dating right now anyway. Don't you trust me?"

I stared at Hyoyeon shocked at what she was implying. "Ya Kim Hyoyeon! Of course I trust you! Why would you think like that stupid?"

"Well you've been hiding the guy from me and let me guess, Himchan as well for who knows how long!"

"We've only been dating for more than a year now."

"Only? ONLY? You call that only?"

Sheesh, she's not making this easier on me now is she? I took an uneasy sip out of my non-existent coffee (since I already finished it minutes ago) and set the cup down gently (unlike Hyoyeon's outburst).

"Why? Is he deformed or something?"

Ok, it's a good thing I wasn't drinking any coffee right now or else I might have just showered Hyoyeon with it. Coffee and saliva combo.

"Oh goodness no! He's perfect! Incredibly handsome too!"

She just raised an eyebrow at me. "More handsome than Himchan?" Ok so I know you acknowledge the fact that your cousin is attractive, in Himchan's case..

"Himchan's a diva waiting to burst out of the closet."

Hyoyeon just laughed at my remark since she knows I don't find Himchan attractive at all. I mean physically yes, he is quite..handsome (insert gagging noise here) but I've known the bastard for a long time that I don't see him that way. EVER.

"So if he's not deformed or mentally retarded then why?"

.

"Don't tell me it has something to do with age!" Oh god no! Don't tell me....!

"He's an old guy right? Like...almost your mother's age! Since if he's near our ages you wouldn't be embarrassed to show him right?"

It's moments like this that I just wanna kiss Hyoyeon for being dense or ignorant sometimes. I was about to retaliate back when my phone suddenly starts ringing.

"Hold that thought ok? I need to get this."

I'm the type of person who doesn't look at the caller id when someone calls, just outright answers it. So of course I'd do the same thing now, only difference is, is that I actually turned my head away and spoke as quiet as I could. I don't want Hyoyeon to eavesdrop but I didn't want to seem like a and ditch her for a phone call nor did I want to hang up on the caller, whoever it was.

"Yoboseyo?"

"Noona! Finally you picked up!"

OMG wrong timing!

"Ah neh...I was busy last night with something...I'm so sorry..." by now I could almost feel Hyoyeon breathing down my neck.

"Noona? Your brother called?" I swear I need to end this call right now before she suspects otherwise. I tried to shoo Hyoyeon away but she just wouldn't budge.

"Noona? Is everything ok in there?"

"N-neh...Listen, I'm in the middle of...something so I gotta--"

"You don't seem to be doing anything in there noona."

Huh? I pushed Hyoyeon's face away from me before fully standing up straight, searching the coffee shop. This feels awfully weird...

"Why'd you stand up? Are you looking for me~" omg he's here! !

"Where are you?" I didn't want to sound panicky since he might get worried and Hyoyeon might guess the situation.

"Look to your right."

And I did. I swear I felt my eyes bulge out from their sockets. I was staring outside through the glass windows and there he was.

"Nanhee-ah? What's wrong?" Hyoyeon stood up as well and followed my line of sight, at this point I was spacing out again so I didn't hear her question.

All I could see was my boyfriend waving happily outside the coffee shop. I felt as though I haven't seen him in ages, which was kinda true since I haven't seen him in days due to both our workloads but there he was. Looking as handsome as ever and dressed quite nicely too!

I wanted to smile back at him but I was too concentrated on the other girls who were busy ogling at him. Hey! That's my man! Look elsewhere!

"Who is that gorgeous boy outside Nanhee-ah and is he waving at us? OMG he is!"

Great, where's that "I'm not interested" whatever crap you were saying earlier Hyoyeon? From all the attention he was getting I was starting to feel agitated and a bit peeved from all the attention he was getting.

"He's my boyfriend!" I swear I sounded so proud of myself with those three words. Hyoyeon and those near us turned their heads towards me in shock. I didn't scream the whole thing but my voice was strong and firm enough to be heard.

"That gorgeousness outside is my boyfriend." I honestly sounded stupid reconfirming what I already said but who cares! The cat's out of the bag now.

"B-b-b!" I didn't let Hyoyeon finish as I took her hand and my bag and walked out of the coffee shop, this time I was the one ignoring the stares not Hyoyeon. Hyoyeon on the other hand was too busy gawking at my boyfriend.

We were about to fully leave the insides of the coffee shop (already at the door) when Hyoyeon pulled me to a sudden stop and grasped by shoulder hard, staring at me intently.

"Is this the reason why you didn't what to show him to me or Himchan at all?"

. I could only nod my head meekly at this. I just hope her assumption isn't accurate.

"Nanhee-ah!"

I turned my head and saw him walking leisurely towards us...great. Hyoyeon turned my head towards her and uttered the words I tried so desperately to avoid hearing.

"Isn't he a college student?"

Dang it. It's a good thing she didn't raise her voice this time. I could only twist my head to greet my boyfriend and as low key as I could told Hyoyeon to "Ignorance is a bliss~ Don't ruin reality for me."

I sounded so stupid but really, there's nothing more I could say. Thankfully Hyoyeon agreed with me as we both watched my gorgeous uh and young boyfriend approach us.

"My goodness he's~"

"Perfect~" I ended for her. We looked like a couple of fangirls right now swooning but I didn't care. I was in cloud nine.

"Noona! I'm so happy to see you here!" I know I've been swearing a lot lately but I honestly swear his smiles right now is blinding me. Probably Hyoyeon too. He took my hands affectionately in his and I'm sure I felt Hyoyeon swooned behind me. I stared first at his hand holding mine before moving slowly up to his face. Why is reality so cruel?

"Noona I missed you."

"Jiho-ah~"

 


 

I bet you guys didn't see that coming did you? That cat is indeed definitely out of the bag! Omo! Nanhee's boyfriend is a college student! I wonder how Himchan will react to this once he finds out! Will he forever torment Nanhee? Or side with her? Or something else? Find out on the next chapters~

I've already got the next chapter ready but...should I post it now? Hmmm...or keep it as a suspense? :D