Chapter Eleven

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

 

I hope this chapter doesn't seem to rushed! Enjoy!

 


Himchan POV :

 

I couldn't sleep. I decided to go to ahjumma's food stall for some soju, hoping that it'll get me drunk enough to fall asleep later. When I did arrive there, I wasn't expecting to see Nanhee all hunched up and drinking alone looking as pathetic as ever.

Not only that but she was singing.

Drunk singing.

"Ya! Are you a one woman show? Why are you singing in public?"

She just ignored me and kept on singing. I decided to sit behind her and order my own bottle trying to block out Nanhee's singing.

Ahjumma came and placed the bottle down and asked why were we sitting separately. Nanhee kept on singing off-tune before stopping abruptly causing me to look her way.

"Are you upset that you saw your first love again?"

"Ya Kim Himchan!"

"What?"

"Dog-poop head!"

"Ya!"

"You're going to regret it if you live life so absentmindedly. You'll be devastated if you ever see Yejin again one day and you realize you still have nothing to offer."

Where is this coming from? I scowled a bit before snorting at her remark.

"Do you still like Yongguk?"

"Do you think I'm you?"

She snapped back at me, complete with the head turn before staring back in front of her again wistfully.

"I thought...if I were to meet Yongguk again, at the very least...I never pictured it to turn out like this. I thought I'd probably be married to a nice guy, maybe have my own kids."

I was surprised at her words. I noticed that there was a book beside her, an art book by the looks of it. And that's when I understood.

"Then be an artist. Isn't that what you've been working hard all these years?"

"Right...an artist.."

"I know I'm not the best out there nor am I recognized but I'd thought I would have done something amazing, something that people would clearly see and love that screamed...me."

Her voice was calm but it felt wrong. I could hear her voice shaking just a bit as she said those words. I know that she's been struggling for years, always ending up being frustrated with herself and her works. This was another side of Nanhee that I didn't appreciate at all.

"Should I come over there?"

She just shook her head saying the seats are full.

"On my right is my regret, and here? On my left is my sorrow and in front of me is fear." She gestured to the empty chairs around her. I could only sigh in defeat as I looked across the street.

"No wonder there's an ambulance parked over there, it's probably here to take you away."

She suddenly lifted her head, pointing towards a random location. "And there! There's my youth..oh youth, why are sitting so far away?" She scoffed before raising her glass up to cheer at her invisible guests. I could only look as she made comments to her seats.

 


 

We must have been drinking for so long that we ended up leaving the food stall and again singing our asses off the streets of Seoul. Nanhee looked more wasted than me though as she kept skipping and twirling around (she always twirls when she's drunk).

"It's cold!" I shivered as I rubbed my hands on my arms to help me warm up a bit. Nanhee noticed this and removed her cardigan, shoving it towards me and telling me to put it on so I did.

"Hey~ Let's sing that song!"

Song? What song? Oh no...

"No!"

But she already started singing going all pam-pam-pam-pam-pam on me.

"Ya! I said no!" my words seem to go on deaf ears as she continued on. I was putting the cardigan on which was smaller than my body but still covered enough to fend me off the cold. She kept on singing before I got annoyed and gave up.

"I just called you, really~"

"Where are you?"

"I just called 'cause I felt blue~"

"Is it raining outside? Are you cold?"

"It's not a lie~" this time both of us were skipping to the lyrics of the song with my arm on her bare shoulder. We were too drunk to care and thankfully there weren't a lot of people around to see our public display of disturbance.

"I'm sorry, I'm in front of your house~"

We just about to get to the good part when Nanhee had to ruin the song by suddenly puking her guts out on the floor.

"Ya! You need to say you love me! How could you puke at that verse? Aish!" Now she's making me want to puke as well. I quickly went over to her to ask her if she was ok and patted her back, my other hand taking her hair off her face.

"It won't come up."

 "You can't puke?"

"I can't puke." She heaved as she slowly looked up trying to regain herself.

"Look what we have here!" Nanhee immediately backed away from the billboard she almost puked at before staring straight at the person plastered on it.

I also realized who she was talking about and could only turn my head away.

"It's Lee Yejin! Ya! Are you a wallpaper or something? Why the heck are you plastered all over town! Stupid wench!" Nanhee kicked the billboard hard in anger. There was nothing I could say much about it. Instead I told her it was my company's ad.

Upon hearing that she quickly turned to me asking if it was true and I said it was. She looked hesitant at first before asking me if I had met Yejin.

"It's not my department's project." I noticed her shrinking down, her anger dissipating into something else, pity.

"It must have still felt weird..." no doubt about that. I told Nanhee that we did talk but nothing good came out of it since Yejin pretended not to know me at all even though I told her my name.

I could feel Nanhee's eyes boring holes into my head before she quickly took out her pen. Oh no...this isn't good.

"Hey, hey, hey! What do you think you're doing?" I nearly screamed at her as I watch her scribble out some vandals on Yejin's face, looking as determined as ever to cause some form of damage on the billboard. Placing moles, acne marks and wrinkles as far as she could reach.

"Ya! Stop it!" I tried to pull her away but she just shook me off and continued on with her work.

"Why? It's fun! You should try it!"

There was no stopping her so I just leaned back and let her do her work. Nanhee still hasn't forgiven Yejin after all these years so I can't blame her for acting this way.

Nanhee kept on rambling about how Yejin should have this and that adding moles upon moles everywhere. There was nothing I could do...I just felt tired all of a sudden. Tired from the thought of Yejin and Nanhee acting this way.

That is until a police car stopped in front of us.  

 


 

How'd you like it? It's a little bit rushed, I know and I'm sorry :( I still hope you guys will like it! For those who don't know, Lee Yejin is Ailee's Korean name :D Boom! Another character introduced! How will things progress? :D

I tried to show another display of Himchan and Nanhee's relationship and I hope you guys understood how things are between them. 

Stay tuned!