Chapter One

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Nanhee (your) POV:

 


 

I can't believe it. I know this day would come but why so soon? Why now? And it doesn't help that my alarm clock keeps ringing reminding me of the time and the inevitable date. Stupid clock.

Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring!

Maybe if I ignore everything, it'll go away..

Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring!

Damn it! I quickly grabbed my alarm clock from my desk, throwing the blasted thing across my room and ended up smashing it. I soon realized my mistake as I hear mom screaming her head off again at me.

"Nanhee! Did you just throw your alarm clock again?!"

Yes, yes I did. Stupid clock. Now I have to buy another one..that's the 5th alarm clock this month. I really need to stop throwing it or smashing it, my money's dwindling enough as it is.

"Nanhee! Get down here already!"

I groaned and wanted to drown myself on my bed but I can't. Or else mom would come charging in and I don't need that so early in the morning. Why is mom's voice so annoying today? Like...more than the usual? Oh wait..I know why.

It's cuz it's my birthday.

I know I should be celebrating or be happy or whatever but I'm not. At least, I can't seem to.

I just turned 30 today, 30 the big 3-O. And you'd think that my mom would be screaming her head off out of joy for her wonderful daughter but she's not screaming out of joy. Oh no, definitely not anything positive.

"Choi Nanhee! Get out of those covers already! My goodness! You're already 30 and you're still acting like a child!"

See what I mean?

"I'm up! I'm up!" but in my mind and body I just wanted to sleep everything off. Mother huffed and puffed and left my room while I got up to do my daily regimens. I could hear a faint ringing and turned to see my phone vibrating on the floor. I must have dropped it while I was sleeping.

 

10 new messages.

 

Wow, I sure have a lot of adoring fans.

"Choi Nanhee! Happy birthday! OMG I can't believe we're both 30 already! Why is this happening to us?" I know right. Thanks Hyoyeon for reminding me again.

"Happy birthday!" like 6 of them from my workmates and friends. Thanks guys, I feel the love.

"Nanhee noona! Happy birthday! I wish I could greet you in person but I'm still stuck here! Your dongsaeng misses you so much!" Aww...I miss you too baby brother! Now I feel like crying, stupid dongsaeng..

"Old hag, happy birthday! Stop moping around and move already. You're late for work." I'll try to ignore that text. I'll get you later you old fool!

"Noona, happy birthday. Look out your window!" ehh? My window? I walked to my window and I nearly dropped my phone out of surprise. There's a bouquet of flowers outside my window, carefully hidden from my mom's prying eyes. Though they're not my favorite ones, they're still gorgeous. I quickly took them in and saw a small note attached to it.

 

Make sure you're free later tonight ok? I want to take you out!

-W.J.

P.S., your mom nearly caught me earlier. Scared the out of me!

 

That brat haha..he didn't have to bother. But I'm still touched so I'll let him off for now. I couldn't call him right now since mom might barge in any second so I opted to just text him to say thank you and that I can't wait for tonight.

Maybe this day won't end up being so bad at all.

 


 

I take it back. This day twice as more than what I predicted this morning. How come?

"I'm really sorry Nanhee-ah but we have to let you go."

Is this for real? My mouth was hanging wide open for the whole world to see. I mean, I know I don't have the best of lucks out there but isn't this too much?

"A-are you serious?" I just couldn't believe this was happening! And on my birthday too! Do they even know it's my birthday today? Maybe they're just joking with me..

"I'm really sorry, and I know it's your birthday today but there's nothing I can do about this." my boss looked genuinely sad and sorry but right now my face was contorting too much out of frustration to even feel anything.

"What about my salary? What about all the work than I've done? What happens to that?" I seriously wanted to hit somebody right now. Preferably whoever thought it was funny to do this to me. I want to sock somebody so bad.

"Don't worry about that, you'll still be given your full salary. As for your work...I'm really sorry, you know the rules. We'll try to help you look for a new company to transfer to in the mean time, will that help?"

I could only nod my head and stare as she talked on and on about how unfortunate this is and that they're sad to see me go. I can understand at one point I guess...the company was hitting an all time low and they were laying off employees almost every week. Today was probably my day.

After a few more talks, superficial pity parties I left the office. Lugging my box filled with work materials and other personal items I decided to head to a coffee shop not too far from my office, well..ex-office.

People stared at me as I walked by, I looked pathetic and gloomy but I couldn't care less what they thought. Why? Haven't seen someone who got fired before?

I ordered my usual green tea since I needed to calm my nerves and sat down dejectedly. I only order green tea when I'm depressed and right now I need it.

It was already 5 in the afternoon. Wow, I didn't even notice the time.. I checked my phone and saw a few more messages. Some the same happy birthdays from this morning, some from Hyoyeon whom I need to contact right now and a couple of texts from my brother and his friends. I want to reply to them but I feel too drained to even type anything.

Just when I was about to call Hyoyeon, a text came up.

 

Noona, I know you're gonna hate me for this but sorry!

Something came up and I can't go see you later :(

The Hyung's wanted to talk to me about something important and I couldn't say no about it.

I hope you understand..I'll tell you all about it tomorrow ok?

I'm really really really sorry!

I love you!

-W.J.

 

Maybe if I stared hard enough my phone might just magically combust or something. This isn't the first time that this has happened but still...it's my birthday, couldn't he just talk to them about it some other time? Frustrated and upset, I speed dialled his number. After a few rings, I hear his voice over the phone. Thank goodness he picked up or else I would have marched to his office.

"What is it? Shouldn't you be on a date or something?"

"Well hello to you too. Let's meet later. I need someone to on about."

I could hear him snicker and feel him smirking through the phone. Arrogant bastard. " on someone else, call your boyfriend or Hyoyeon or someone, anyone. Why me?"

I let out a pitiful sigh and he seemed to get the point. Good boy.

"Alright I get it. Meet me at the usual place at 7."

"Thanks Himchan."

"Whatever Nanhee. I gotta go, bye."

 


 

Hope you guys liked the first Chapter! Can you guess who Nanhee's boyfriend is? Who's her brother? Continue reading to find out!

Don't be a silent reader! Comment and Subscribe! It's my first time writing a B.A.P. fanfic!

Toodles~