Chapter 5: Coincidental Meeting

"Friendly" Competition

            It was around ten AM on a Wednesday when Luhan went to a café so that he could get a nice hot cup of coffee. That was his usual routine before he would go to work on Wednesdays. That was the only day when Luhan got to start late at work.

            At the café, Luhan stood in the line and kept his eyes barely opened. Without his coffee in the morning, Luhan was basically a zombie. There was never any real emotion from him, he didn’t say anything to anyone, and his eyes were barely opened ever. In his eyes, there was no way that he could live without his coffee.

            Once he got to the counter he looked the cashier in the eyes. It was a cashier that had taken his order many times. She recognized him and then put on a very big smile. She grabbed a cup and started to label it. Every time that he came to the café, Luhan would order the same thing so she got the hang of seeing him like that and writing down his order. Every time he would order an espresso with a blue berry muffin. After that he would usually get a newspaper and then sit down somewhere inside.

            After the girl was done writing on the cup she entered the order into the cash registrar. Once it was done she looked up at Luhan and kept on her smile. “That’ll be 12,000 won Luhan.” She said.

            Luhan sleepily pulled out his wallet and handed the cashier 12,000 won. She took the money from him and put it inside the cash registrar. After that she thanked him and then he went to go sit down at a table that was close by. It was probably the closest one to the counter.

            When he sat down there was no way that he was going to get back up. He was just so sleepy. He placed his head down and started to fall back asleep. When he was there he would never fully fall asleep but it was pretty much boarder line. People would walk by and think he was asleep but he really wasn’t. There would be times when he would put his head down and listen to all the other conversations around him while other times he would just sit there and zone out completely.

            This day was one of those days were Luhan was just zoning out. This day for him just felt much harder to wake up then all the other days. There was something strange about this day and he couldn’t really figure out why. But the only thing that could really get him to wake up even the slightest was his coffee. That was like his main remedy.

             The cashier that took his order watched over him to make sure he was okay. She would always watch him after he ordered his food since he always seemed so out of it. Plus there was the fact that she had a secret crush on him. So she looked out for him while he was there. She heated his muffin and made his drink and gathered it together. She then took one more look at him and smiled. She picked up his order and headed towards him.

            She walked over to the table he was and placed his coffee and his muffin right in front of him. “Enjoy Luhan.” She said with an obviously flirtatious tone.

            After she walked away, Luhan turned his head so that his chin was now on the table. He looked straight at his coffee for a second as if he was registering what it was. He then sat up and leaned back in his chair. He stared at the coffee a bit before taking it and holding it up to his face. The steam from the coffee felt good on his skin. After taking a whiff of the coffee Luhan smiled. He then took a sip of the coffee and he already started to feel a bit more alive. It had taken a while but Luhan was really starting to wake up and have more life to him. He no longer looked like something that came out of a zombie movie. He then leaned back and opened his newspaper.

            For about five minutes Luhan just sat there reading his newspaper. In general he wasn’t the kind of person to really care about politics or anything related to it. But he liked to read the paper just to stay updated with everything in case he had to talk to someone important like one of his bosses or an actual politician.

            During the time he was sitting there he had only taken a few bites of his muffin and continued to drink his coffee. He would take a break from reading the paper to look around and see who was at the café but besides that he would just sit there and mind his own business. It was just an ordinary day.

            Little did he know though that his day was going to be a little more different than usual. While Luhan was finishing his coffee a boy came running in. The boy seemed to be in a bit of a panic. Since the line had pretty much died down there was basically no one in line. The boy noticed that and then ran all the way to the counter. You could tell that he was in a rush.

            “Okay, this is going to be a really big order so I hope you can keep up with me.” The boy said.

            The cashier that was taking the order was the same one that took Luhan’s. She swallowed and then got her pen ready. “I think I’m ready.” She said.

            “Okay, I need five espresso’s, four lattes, two chai teas, and seven plain black coffee’s. The along with those I need six muffins and twelve coffee cakes all warmed up. Did you get all of that?” The boy asked quickly.

            The cashier was a bit stressed trying to remember everything but she managed to keep her cool. She labeled everything and then passed everything over to her co-worker. She seemed to have been a little flustered but she was okay. She entered the order into the cash registrar and took in a breath.

            “Your total is 67,000 won.” She said. The boy pulled out a credit card and handed it to the girl to pay for the food and drinks. She charged it and then gave it back to him. “It’s probably going to be a while before your whole order is ready. So you might want to go sit down somewhere.”

            The boy just put on a smile and then walked away from the counter. You could tell that he was just a bit calmer now. He started to look around for an empty table but unfortunately for him, all the tables were taken. He had nowhere to sit at all.

            Eventually the boy stood right in front of Luhan’s table. Luhan pulled away from his paper and looked at the boy. To him, he seemed to be really tired. He looked around a bit and saw that there were actually no tables at all to sit on. So, he thought that he would be nice and let the boy sit down at his table.

            “Excuse me.” Luhan said. The boy was so out of it that he didn’t even hear Luhan. For that you could already tell that he was tired. “Excuse me.” Luhan tried again a little louder. But then again the boy didn’t respond to him.

            Luhan rolled his eyes. He was tired of trying to get the boys attention that way. He looked around trying to find another way to get the boys attention. He thought about throwing his newspaper at him but then again his aim wasn’t so great. Then Luhan looked where the boy was standing. He was standing right in front of one of the chairs that were in front of Luhan. That’s when he got an idea.

            Luhan looked at the chair and then at the boy one last time. He slightly moved in his chair and then took aim. He kicked the chair and it went moving towards the boy. Luhan had kicked it out just enough for it to make a loud noise and for it to lightly hit the boys leg. At first the boy seemed to be a little stunned but he looked at the chair and then Luhan. Luhan motioned his eyes at the chair and then back at the boy.

            It had taken the boy a little while to realize what Luhan was trying to say. But he eventually got the hint. “Oh, thank you.” He said and then pulled out the chair a little more to sit down. There was a much more relaxed look on him now.

            For a little while, Luhan just stared at the boy. There was just some curiosity stirring inside of him. He wanted to know about this boy. “That’s a lot of coffee and food for just one person.” He said.

            The boy was stunned. “Oh, it’s for my work place. We take turns getting the coffee and breakfast. Today just happened to be my turn. There is no way that I could drink that much coffee.” He said with a laugh in his voice.

            Luhan just nodded. “Well it seems like you’re pretty stressed for it just being your turn to pick up coffee and breakfast. Did you forget it was your turn or something?” He asked.

            The boy let out a nervous laugh. “No I didn’t forget. It’s just that I had to get it today because I got in trouble. The assistant manager at my work place is in a really bad mood so until he gets his coffee, everyone is holding me responsible for his mood.” He explained.

            “What did you do to get in trouble?” Luhan asked him.

            “I rather not say. It’s actually pretty bad. And the fact that I got caught makes it a bit embarrassing.” The boy said.

            “Oh I see, well that . How are you going to get all of that coffee and food back to your work place?” Luhan asked.

            “My manager is actually a really nice guy. He let me take his car since he knew that my assistant manager was pretty pissed off. So, he let me borrow it in order to save the rest of them from suffering too long.” The boy explained.

            Luhan nodded and bit his lip. It was quiet for about ten seconds. Luhan was trying to think of something to say to this boy. But then he realized that he didn’t even introduce himself.

            “My name is Luhan by the way.” He said.

            “I’m Sehun. It’s nice to meet you.” Sehun said.

            Luhan looked at the boy and realized that he really did look like a Sehun. He couldn’t quite understand why but he just did. “Yeah you too. So, what line of business are you in?” He asked curiously.

            “Actually, I’m in the food industry. Honestly I’m not into the whole fancy dinning thing where there are candles and proper plating, but I do enjoy seeing people’s smiling faces after taking their very first bite.” Sehun explained.

            “Wow that is some passion.” Luhan thought out loud. It was soft but loud enough for Sehun to hear.

            Sehun had to laugh just a little. He rubbed the back of his head and put on a smile. “I guess you could call it something like that. What about you? What is your occupation?” He asked Luhan.

            “I’m just a cashier. Fortunately it pays the bills and then rent so I am content with what I have. I would like to eventually do something better with my life. Maybe travel, or find my real calling in life. But until then I like where I am.” Luhan explained.

            That answer really didn’t sit well with Sehun. “Why don’t you go out and find that something for you?” He said.

            Luhan was confused with how blunt Sehun was. “What?”

            “I know that we have just met, but I feel like if you have a dream, then why don’t you go out for it. If you don’t know what you’re calling is then you so go out and find it. Never settle for the easy route. You’ll never be truly happy.” Sehun explained.

            Luhan stared at Sehun and then scoffed. “Wow, I guess you speak from experience.” He said sarcastically.

            Sehun sighed. “Actually I really do. But that story is one that can be shared later on. I’m sorry for being so blunt but you just seem like someone with a lot of potential. You could probably do anything that you set your mind out to do.” He explained.

            Luhan sighed and then picked up his coffee. Then he took another sip from the cup. “Well, maybe someday I’ll find something.” He thought out loud to himself. He then took a bite of his muffin.

            By doing that, there were a bunch of crumbs stuck on Luhan’s lips. Sehun looked at him and laughed just a bit. “Luhan, you have a few crumbs on your lips.” He said.

            Luhan was surprised to hear that. He grabbed a napkin and started to wipe his mouth. He tried wiping away the crumbs from his mouth but he still had a few more that were pretty stuck. “Did I get it all?” He asked Sehun.

            Sehun laughed again and shook his head. “No you still have a few more. Here let me help.” He said. He then stood up a bit in his seat. He leaned over the table and brought his thumb up to Luhan’s lips.

            Sehun just brushed his thumb against Luhan’s lips. As he did that, Luhan’s heart started to skip a beat. Sehun on the other hand like the feeling of Luhan’s soft, pink lips. For both of them it was a very unexplainable feeling. Luhan’s heart started to flutter with the touch. Sehun stayed the way he was for a second just so he could feel those soft lips.

            Sehun soon decided that he would sit back down. He grabbed a napkin and started to wipe the crumbs from his finger. He cleared his throat and then acted like nothing really happened. “There, now your face is all clean. You know, you really could be a model if you wanted to.” He said.

            Hearing those words made Luhan blush a little bit. He had no idea how to really respond to something like that. “Oh, I don’t think I would be able to do that.” He replied.

            “Why not? It’s certainly an option. You honestly are really not that bad looking. In fact you are quite handsome if you ask me. Plus you would probably make more money doing that than being a cashier for the rest of your life.” Sehun explained.

            “I guess you could look at it that way.” Luhan replied.

            “Of course you can look at it that way. You should really consider it. I think that you would do really well as a model. If not then there is definitely something else out there for you. I have faith in you.” Sehun said.

            This just caused Luhan to blush even more. “Thanks I guess.” He said shyly.

            Just as Sehun was going to say something else the cashier came up to him. “Excuse me sir, your order is ready now.” She explained.

            “Oh thanks a lot.” Sehun said. He then stood up from his seat and started to head off towards the counter. The first container of drinks was there and he picked it up. He then started to head towards his car that was parked in front of the café. Some of the workers felt bad for him so they ended up grabbing a few containers and followed him all the way to the car.

            He eventually came back to grab the last load which was just the rest of the food. He was about to walk past Luhan but stopped. “It was really nice meeting you Luhan. I really enjoyed talking with you. Maybe we’ll see each other again sometime soon.” He said.

            Luhan smiled and nodded. “Yeah maybe we will see each other again sometime. Have a good day at work.” He said.

            “Yeah you too.” Sehun replied.

            Sehun then smiled and headed straight for the door and over to his car right in front of the café. Luhan’s eyes basically followed Sehun all the way to his car and watched him get into his car and then drive off.

            Luhan looked at his coffee and then chugged it down. He then let out a long sigh and stared out the window of the café. He was just confused as to what had just happened. There was something that he just couldn’t understand.

            The cashier noticed that Luhan looked a little more dazed and walked over to check up on him. “Are you okay Luhan?” She asked him.

            Luhan looked up at her and then back at the window. He sighed and nodded at her. “I’m fine Hyoyeon. That was just different from the usual morning.” He replied.

            Hyoyeon nodded and smiled. “Tell me about it. I have never had to make eighteen cups of coffee for one person ever. So I totally know what you mean. Well I getting back to work. I’ll see you next Wednesday Luhan.” She said and then went back to work

 

~.~.~.~.~.~

 

            After driving off from the café, Sehun showed up at the deli not too long after. He pulled up to the front of the deli and put the car in park. Sehun grabbed Kyungsoo’s coffee first and ran inside with it.

            He met up with Kyungsoo and handed him his coffee and foor. “One latte and a coffee cake. I got it as fast as I could.” He said.

             Kyungsoo had his arms crossed at looked at the coffee in Sehun’s hand. He then took it from him and took a sip from it. The expression on his face started to change. A smile appeared after he took that first sip. He then looked at Sehun and glare started to form from his eyes. “Sehun, if you ever do that again, I almost guarantee that you will never see the light of day ever again.” He threatened and then walked into the kitchen.

            “I promise that I won’t.” Sehun yelled after Kyungsoo left.

            “I sure hope you don’t!” Kyungsoo yelled from the kitchen.

            Sehun took in a deep breath and sighed a breath of relief. Kyungsoo had seemed so mad at him that he was almost sure that there was no way that he was going to live after that. He was wondering why Kyungsoo just let it go.

            Chanyeol and Suho walked into the room after grabbing the rest of the coffee and food and placing it on one of the tables in the main room. Both of them saw that Sehun now looked extremely relieved. This really caused the curiosity in Chanyeol to stir.

            “So Sehun, what did you do in order to piss Kyungsoo off that badly? You know he has a really bad temper.” Chanyeol explained.

            Suho looked at Chanyeol and then at Sehun. He had to let out a little laugh. He knew exactly what happened in the first place. “Go ahead and tell him Sehun.” He advised.

            Sehun bit his lip. “It was actually supposed to be a prank on Kai. I dumped half the water out of a water jug that I thought was his and filled the other half with wasabi. I shook it and then put it back in the refrigerator. It was going perfectly until I realized it was Kyungsoo’s. He took a sip and then spit it all over the place. It was funny until he found out it was me. That’s how I got in trouble.” He explained.

            Suho was still laughing. Chanyeol tried his hardest to keep himself from laughing. He wanted to so bad. “Maybe you’ll get Kai next time.” He said and then grabbed his coffee and left with Suho to go into the kitchen.

            Just as they left Kai emerged from the kitchen. He walked over to Sehun and then put him into a head lock. “So that prank was for me? Tough luck buddy. Maybe you’ll succeed next time.” He said teasingly.

            Sehun struggled a bit. He was trying to fight Kai off and eventually he got out of his head lock. He then stepped back a little and fixed his hair. “I will get you Kai. Whether you like it or not, I will get you. Just you wait.” He said.

            Kai laughed and put on a giant smile. But he started to notice something. There was something different about Sehun. “Sehun, did you know that you have a little glow to you?” He asked.

            “What the hell are you talking about Kai? Why would I be glowing?” Sehun asked in an irritated tone.

            “Honestly it looks like you are glowing. Did something happen while you were out getting coffee today?” Kai asked.

            “No nothing happened at all. I went to get the coffee and food, talked a bit with a new friend that I made, and then came back here. Nothing happened.” Sehun said.

            Kai raised an eyebrow when he heard that Sehun made a new friend. “Was it a girl friend or was it a guy friend cause you just seem a little more different than usual. Something about you is just, off.” He explained.

            Sehun rolled his eyes. “The new friend I made is a guy. Why do you need to know that anyway? It’s none of your business.” Sehun said aggressively.

            “Sorry, I was just curious.” Kai replied. He then looked down and bit his lip a bit. He then looked up and looked at Sehun who now entered the kitchen. He went right over to the place where the orders came through which was a window that was pretty big with a shelf. “Can I ask you a question about something?”

            “What?” Sehun asked impatiently while setting up his station.

            “If I were to ever tell you that I was gay, what would you think?” Kai asked softly.

            Sehun stopped everything he was doing. He then slowly turned his head towards Kai. “And what is that supposed to me?” He asked nervously.

            Kai rolled his eyes. “It’s just a question.” He said.

            “And what made this question come into your mind?” Sehun asked.

            “Oh, I have a friend that just admitted to me he was gay and I didn’t know how to react. That’s all.” Kai lied.

            Sehun let out a breath a relief. “Oh thank god. I thought you were trying to hint something.” He said.

            Kai snickered. “Heck no! Besides, you would be the last guy that I would want to turn gay for.” He replied.

            “What? Come on, who could deny this beautiful face?” Sehun said concededly.

            Just as Sehun said that, Suho walked into the room. “It’s quite easy to deny the face when it’s on a head that’s as big as yours.” He said.

            Kai smiled and laughed at that. “Boss, that had to be the best comeback that I’ve heard in a really long time.” He said.

            Suho just smiled and shook his head. “Come on guys, we are now having a staff meeting.” He said.

            Kai and Sehun nodded and followed Suho all the way to the break room. Everyone happened to be already there. They were talking to each other and laughing. As usual, without the rush, they were all close and really good friends. But since it was still early to them, they were trying to wake up just a bit.

            “Okay everyone, quiet down. So I’m here to comfirm that the EXO party is now a complete go. Both the manager of EXO-M and my boss have said that it’s a good idea. But we are in charge of a few things. We have to take care of the venue, music, and decorations. Kai and Sehun, you both have been known as good dancers and go clubbing a lot so I am going to trust you guys to go find one of the best DJ’s around.” Suho explained.

            Kai and Sehun looked at each other and nodded. “I think we already have a DJ in mind boss. We got this covered.” Kai explained.

            “Good. Now Baekhyun and Chanyeol, you will both be in charge of decorations. I want them to be fun but professional at the same time. Chanyeol, you are always smiling so you cover the happy, and Baekhyun you handle the professional.” Suho explained.

            Chanyeol whispered something into Baekhyun’s ear and then they both smiled. “We got it boss.” He replied.

            “Alright. Kyungsoo, you and I will take care of the venue. Now that completes our meeting for today. Let’s go out there and feed some hungry people.” Suho said.

            Everyone nodded and started to head out of the break room. They were talking to each other about the upcoming party. It was obvious that they were all excited. They were going to finally meet their future co-workers.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~

 

            Luhan was now running to get to the deli. He had found that talking to Sehun really had ruined his timing. He was definitely going to be late and he knew that Kris was probably going to kill him for it.

            Thankfully for him though, he made it to the deli just a second on time. He had completely lucked out on that one. Just one second later and he really would have been dead. Basically what he did was throw his stuff under the counter and stand there by the cash registrar.

            Tao looked at Luhan and just giggled. “You are kind of cutting it close today don’t you think?” He asked.

            Luhan had to catch his breath. “I know, I got a late start today. That’s why I am late. Do you think that Kris noticed?” He asked while still panting.

            Tao shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t really know. I haven’t seen him all day. But you know him, he had that all seeing eye.” He replied.

            Luhan groaned and then hit his head on the counter. “I…am…so…dead.” He said.

            Tao sighed. “Why? You basically came to work on time. You just cut it extremely close.” He said.

            “I know. But you know Kris, even if you just make it, he gets on your case about it.” Luhan explained.

            As Luhan was whining Lay eventually came into the front and let out a sigh. He leaned against the door framed and crossed his arms. “Hey guys, have you noticed something different about Chen?” He asked.

            Luhan lifted his head off the counter and then looked at Tao. Tao returned the look and then they both looked back over at Lay. “We really hadn’t noticed. But right now I have to worry about trying NOT to get my kicked.” Luhan replied.

            “Why what did you do this time?” Lay asked worriedly.

            Tao just rolled his eyes. “Luhan had come basically a second before he was considered late to work and he’s afraid that Kris is going to get on his case.” He explained.

            A breath of relief left Luhan’s lips. He was so much more relaxed now that he knew Kris wasn’t even there. “Okay, I’m good now. I can relax a bit.” He said.

            “You can be such a drama queen Luhan.” Tao said teasingly

            “I AM NOT!” Luhan argued loudly.

            “Hey! Quiet down! I can hear you from a mile away.” Kris said grumpily as he was walking into the deli.

            “Sorry boss.” Luhan replied embarrassedly.

            Kris rolled his eyes and walked straight towards his office. He didn’t really look at the trio standing in the front. Everyone could tell from that he didn’t have a good time at that meeting.

            Luhan sighed after watching Kris enter his office. He then looked over at Tao to see sadness in his face. Luhan looked over at Lay to see if he knew why he was like that but he just shrugged his shoulders slightly. He had no idea either why he just looked sad.  

            “Please excuse me guys. I have to restock the cooler.” Tao said and then walked away over to the coolers.

            After Tao left, Lay took his spot and watched him leave. Once he was out of hearing distance, Lay looked over at Luhan. “So what is the real reason as to why you were late to work today?” He asked him.

            The question caused Luhan’s eyes to go wide. “I had a late start today, that’s all.” He replied.

            Lay shook his head and rolled his eyes. “That is just a flat out lie and you know it. Sure when you wake up you are a total zombie, but you wake up early. That’s probably why you usually look like a zombie. But then you get dressed and go straight for coffee. Then when you wake up, everything is fine. So, what ruined today’s process?” He asked.

            Luhan bit and chewed on his lip for a bit. He then let it go and sighed. “I met someone today and we talked a bit. That’s why my time was thrown off a bit. That’s all I promise.” He said.

            Lay raised an eyebrow. “If your timing was thrown off then obviously you two talked for quite a while.” He explained.

            “He had a large order and it was taking a while so I just made conversation. He was young but he seemed to be very knowledgeable when it came to life.” Luhan explained.

            “That’s interesting. So I guess you are capable of making new friends.” Lay teased.

            Luhan scoffed. “Wow, whatever Lay.” He said. It was then quiet. Luhan was trying to think of something else to change the subject. “So, how are things at home lately?” He asked gently.

            Lay’s eyes then turned almost lifeless. He looked away from Luhan and uncrossed his arms. “I rather not talk about it.” He said and then turned around to go back into the kitchen.

            Luhan watched Lay leave and felt a bit of guilt fill inside him. But he let out a sigh and tried to forget about the whole thing. He leaned back on the center and over looked the deli. There was barely anyone there at the time.

            As he was just standing there, Luhan started to remember Sehun’s touch on his lips. It still made his lips tingle. He reached up and touched them softly while remembering Sehun. He just wondered what he was doing at the time and if felt what he had felt.

 

A/N: Hi everyone, so i this chapter there were a few hints as to what's to come in the following chapters. I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far. So I was going to include a main couple in the EXO party but I decided to make that a totally different chapter all together. So it's going to be in two more chapters. So who is left? Chenmin and Baekyeol right? Oo who is next? Thanks for reading and thanks to all my subscribers