Chapter 3: Maybe, It Was Meant To Be

"Friendly" Competition

            On Sunday morning EXO-K’s deli was a little slow. That was the one day of the week when it was slow. If you really thought about it though, it was very convenient since Saturdays were so busy for them.

            Kyungsoo was sitting in the break room leaning back in his chair and staring straight at the ceiling. He was extremely tired from the day before. The Saturday rush was just too much for him. At the same time he hadn’t been sleeping well for the past few days. All he really wanted at that moment was to rest and to be alone.

            But he wasn’t going to get that at all. Kai was walking by the break room when he saw Kyungsoo. He had a nervous feeling in his stomach. He bit his lip and really thought about going to talk to him for a second. He took in a deep breath and then decided to go and talk to Kyungsoo.

            Kai walked into the break room and pulled out a chair that was right next to Kyungsoo. He sat down and stared right at Kyungsoo. “Why have you been ignoring me?” He asked straight forwardly.

            Kyungsoo looked down and then looked at Kai. His eyes grew wide. “I am not ignoring you Kai. Please excuse me I have some work to do.” He said and got up from his chair. He was actually trying to get away.

            As Kyungsoo was going to walk away Kai quickly grabbed his wrist and held onto it. Kyungsoo looked back at Kai and saw his big brown eyes. He really hated when Kai did that to him. But then his eyes wondered to the red scratch on his face. Then he remembered everything.

            “I know what I did on Friday was uncalled for and unfair but I just wanted you to know my feelings. I really didn’t mean to hurt you.” Kai explained.

            Kyungsoo was really shocked to hear that. He pulled away from Kai aggressively. On the inside he started to grow a bit angry. “You may not have meant it but did you ever think about how I would feel about the whole thing? Did you even take into consideration how this would affect me?” He asked.

            Kai wasn’t expecting that aggressive response. But before he could even respond Kyungsoo walked out of the room. He was just so dumbfounded. Kai ran his hand through his hair and took in a deep breath. The last thing he really wanted was to hurt Kyungsoo. But with the reaction he just got from him, he found that he just did the last thing he wanted to do.

            As fast as he could, Kyungsoo walked off to go to the bathroom. He entered the bathroom and closed the door behind him. He locked and then leaned against it. He was breathing very heavily since he had rushed there. He walked over to the mirror and saw that there was sweat running down his face. He washed his face and then took in another deep breath.

Every time that he was around Kai, there was just something that made him so nervous. Ever since the day that Suho went out to go buy some groceries he had become nervous when Kai came around. It was all due to a little incident that had happened in Suho’s absence. Kyungsoo told himself that he wouldn’t tell anyone about it. But he just remembered the incident like it had just happened. It basically changed the way the two boys felt about each other.

 

~~~~~ *Flashback*~~~~~

 

            “Guys we need to pick up the pace. The students get off in about ten minutes and then it’s the after school rush. We need to get going here if we don’t want to have any problems!” Kyungsoo yelled from the back of the kitchen.

            “Got it boss!” Chanyeol had yelled from the front of the deli.

            The deli was now filled with loud noises. There was the clashing of pans, the timers on the ovens going off, and almost the whole staff yelling at each other. They were all in such a rush themselves to get everything ready for the high school rush.

            Every day after school the female students would usually come to the deli and order food. But their real motive was to look at the staff since a majority of them were men and they weren’t all that bad looking either. So they were just there to look and flirt with the staff. The staff tolerated it for the most part. They had to since the students were the customers and they brought in a lot of money.

            Once the clock hit four the high school rush was about to start. Everyone in the kitchen was now somewhat prepared for the rush. The students started to come in one by one but after a while they started to come in groups. It was small groups at first but as time went by the groups became bigger and bigger. Things began to pick up and when that happened personalities in the kitchen would usually clash.

            “Baekhyun I need two soups!” Kai yelled from the front into the kitchen.

            Baekhyun was in the kitchen moving as quickly as he could to finish the next batch of soup. “I’m working on it! I have more things to do than to just get your order Kai!” He yelled back from the kitchen.

            “Sehun I need a sandwich now! It’s almost been five minutes!” Chanyeol yelled.

            “Do you want to try and make a sandwich perfectly and then toast it? Be my guest.” Sehun replied and then got back to work.

            “Order 534!” Kai yelled and then a girl came and picked up her order. “Baekhyun I need it now!”

            “I’m working on it!” Baekyun snapped and brought the two soups over and placed them on the plates that already had some sandwiches on it. He handed them over to Kai.

            “Order 378!” Chanyeol yelled and this time a college student came and picked it up.

            “Kyungsoo I am almost out of bread. I really need some soon or we are going to run out!” Sehun said.

            “I know I’m on it!” Kyungsoo yelled from deeper inside the kitchen.

            “Sehun! Hurry up and make the sandwiches! The customers are waiting.” Chanyeol yelled.

            “I’m working on it dammit! Get that stick out of your and just focus on your other orders so I can work on this one!” Sehun just snapped. The sandwich then came out of the toaster and Sehun wrapped it in paper. He handed the sandwich to Chanyeol and then started on the next sandwich.

            The orders and the arguing just kept on coming for another half hour. A common thing for the staff was that whenever the rushes came by, no one got along. They were constantly arguing and insulting each other. But before and afterwards they would forget everything that had happened and they were all fine with each other. Over the time of working with each other they had learned to except that there will be times when words will just be said and not thought out.

            Once the rush was finished everyone was extremely tired. Kyungsoo wiped the sweat off of his face and then took in a deep breath. “Alright everyone you all did a great job today. Take a twenty to thirty minute break.” He said.

            Everyone was relieved to hear that they get a long break. Especially Sehun. “Thank God. I am so exhausted.” He said and then made his way over to the break room.

            The rest of the main staff left to take a break while the side staff stayed behind to handle any customers that came while the others were on their break. Kyungsoo decided to skip his break and bake a few loaves of bread. He noticed that he really hadn’t made enough for the day. So to make up for it he was going to pass on his break and spend the time making more bread for the sandwiches. He even noticed that the bread up for sale was also low so that was going to be something else for him to do. Plus he was going to make more for the next rush.

            Since the deli had one huge oven and several multipurpose ovens Kyungsoo decided to take advantage of all of them. Kyungsoo made several batches of dough for the bread and then started to pop them into the ovens. He managed to fit ten loaves in the ovens all at once. He was about to get ready to make the next few loaves when he realized that he was actually really tired. He needed just a minute to relax.

            He leaned back against a counter and watched the bread bake for a minute. He rubbed his neck feeling a bit stiff. There were times where Kyungsoo would really push himself. He knew he was doing it but he just couldn’t stop himself once he got going.

            Kyungsoo was starting to feel a little relaxed after that one minute. He was enjoying his little quiet time until Kai came into the room. He was carrying an unopened water bottle that was just taken out of the refrigerator. “Hey Kyungsoo how come you aren’t joining us in the glory of a half hour break? We all know that you have worked harder today than you have this whole entire week. I think you need the break more than anyone.” Kai said.

            Kyungsoo just shook his head. “I’m okay. I just need to get the few loaves of bread out of the oven and then make another batch and then I’ll be done. I need to make sure that there is going to be enough for the next rush.  It might take a while so this might end up taking my whole break.” He explained.

            Kai nodded and handed the cold water to Kyungsoo. “Here, I figured that you would at least like nice cold water for now.” He said.

            A smiled appeared on Kyungsoo’s face. He took the water from Kai and looked at it for a second. “Thank you.” He said and then opened it to take a sip.

            “No problem. You know I find it really thoughtful that you would give up your break just to help make things go smoothly in the deli. I don’t know if I could ever give up on one of my breaks. I need to get away from all those girls that flirt with me constantly.” Kai explained.

            The statement made Kyungsoo laugh a little. “Well you are really good at bringing in the girls I have to say. Sometimes Suho and I talk about giving you a raise. You deal with all girls all the time and we know that it’s hard work.” He said.

            Kai had to let out a little chuckle. “No that’s okay. When I took on this job and found out that I was basically going to be a cashier, I knew what I was getting into. I just didn’t know I would have to deal with this many girls.” He joked a little.

            Kyungsoo nodded with understanding. “It’s a good thing that you knew what you were getting into though. My first job as a waiter I didn’t know what I was getting into. Because of my looks girls would always come to the restaurant and flirt with me. Then my coworkers started to crush on me and then that just became awkward.” He said jokingly.

            Kai smiled and let out a little laugh. After hearing Kyungsoo though he started to think about something. He then crossed his arms and leaned back on the counter beside Kyungsoo. “Hey Kyungsoo.” He said.

            “What is it Kai?” Kyungsoo replied.

            “Are you in a relationship with anyone?” Kai asked out of nowhere.

Kyunsoo really didn’t see that one coming. He looked at Kai and then back at the oven. “I am currently not in a relationship. I really don’t think I have time for a relationship right now. With this deli just starting and then being in a competition I really have to stay focused. Plus I really don’t think I am the best person to be in a relationship with. I am always busy and barely have any time for myself. But what about you? Do you have a girlfriend?” He asked.

            Kai tightened his crossed arms and shook his head. “No I’m currently single. But I don’t know for how long I’ll be single.” He replied.

            This really got Kyungsoo’s attention. “Is that so? So I’m guessing that means that you have someone in mind that you want to ask out?” He asked.

            Kai bit his lip. “Yeah, there is someone that I have in mind. It’s just that I don’t know how to really tell them how I feel.” He admitted.

            Kyungsoo stood up straight and went over to the over to check the bread. He opened the oven to get a good look and then he closed it again. After that he turned to look at Kai face to face. “Well if there is one thing that I have really learned over the years and in my relationships it’s that you’ll never know what will really happen until you try. Maybe you just need to talk to this person and tell them how you feel. Maybe you can even show them.” He said.

            Kai uncrossed his arms and smiled. “Yeah I think that you’re right. I should probably show them how I feel. That is the only way that I’ll know how they feel as well.” He said.

            “Exactly, if you want to talk to this person I’m willing to give you the time off. I wouldn’t make sense for me to get you all hyped up and then make you have to wait. If you want you can go ahead and leave.” Kyungsoo said.

            Kai shook his head. “It’s really okay. It’s actually someone close by. Really close actually.” He said.

            “Is that so? Do I know this person?” Kyungsoo asked curiously.

            “They’re someone that you know quite well. You know them better than you think.” Kai replied.

            That made Kyungsoo very curious. He started to think of all the possibilities of who this person could be. There were a few people that popped into mind but he still wasn’t quite sure. Kai saw how hard he was thinking and let out a little giggle. He thought it was cute how hard Kyungsoo was trying to think of who it could be. He kept on smiling and then walked closer to Kyungsoo.

            Kai was right in front of Kyungsoo now. Kai lifted Kyungsoo’s chin with his hand so that he could look into his eyes. Kyungsoo didn’t realize what was happening until it was too late. Kai closed whatever space there was between them with a kiss.

            When their lips met Kyungsoo was in so much shock. He just didn’t know how to react to it all. He was so shocked that he felt like he just couldn’t move. Kai on the other hand felt that this was so right. He had wanted to kiss Kyungsoo for a while and now he finally had the guts to do it. He had enjoyed this kiss with Kyungsoo more than he enjoyed a kiss with anyone else.

            But as Kyungsoo was getting over the shock he started to go into a panic. He still had no idea what to do. So instead he just relied on an instinct. He punched Kai right in the face to get him away. Kai was forced away and backed off while holding onto his left cheek where Kyungsoo had hit him.

            Kai was really holding onto his cheek in pain. Kyungsoo touched his lips and then looked at Kai. He just couldn’t figure out why Kai would do that. Why would he have done that? He didn’t stick around to ask Kai that though. He turned and then walked out of the kitchen. There was only one place where he knew he could be by himself and that was in the bathroom.

            After entering the bathroom Kyungsoo slammed the door and locked it. He took in a few deep breaths and then ran over to the sink. He the water and started to cup it. When his hands filled up with water, he was about to bring it up to his face to wash off his mouth. But something inside him was telling him not to. There was a certain feeling that he had inside. It was something that he just couldn’t explain.

            In the kitchen Kai was still holding onto his cheek in pain. Getting punched by Kyungsoo was not one of the things he factored in. He thought of a bunch of other things that could have happened but getting punched was definitely not one of them. He wasn’t hateful about it though. It was quite understandable to Kai as to why Kyungsoo would do that. It was just too sudden and Kyungsoo just didn’t know how to react. He understood that.

            As Kai was taking in a few deep breaths Baekhyun came into the kitchen to see that Kai was holding his cheek. “Hey are you okay Kai? What happened?” He asked with concern in his voice.

            Kai looked up at him and just shook his head. “It’s nothing Baekhyun. I was trying to do something and then I hit myself in the face really hard. I’m fine.” He said.

            Baekhyun rolled his eyes and then grabbed Kai wrist so that he could get him to move his hand so he could see the spot where he got hit better. He got to see the whole extent though. There area where Kai was hit was very red and there was even a cut there. It was probably made by the ring Kyungsoo always wore.

            “Kai you are bleeding.” Baekhyun said.

            Kai just touched the spot and then he saw the blood. “Oh, I didn’t notice that.” He said.

            “Yeah you really got yourself good. Come on let me clean that up for you. I can’t have the customers seeing you bleed like that.” Baekhyun said.

            Kai nodded and just went off with Baekhyun. He got cleaned up and then went back to work. But after that day Kyungsoo stayed away from Kai as much as possible. It wasn’t that he was mad at him or anything like that. It was mostly because after that kiss every time Kyungsoo saw Kai, he started to remember the taste of his lips. And the thing was, he wanted to taste them again.

 

~~~~~~*End Flashback*~~~~~~

 

            Kyungsoo just had to give himself another minute to relax in the bathroom. He had to calm down from all the emotions stirring inside of him. There was really no exact word to describe what he was feeling. This whole thing had him so confused that he almost couldn’t stand it.

            After taking a very keep breath Kyungsoo opened the door to the bathroom. He walked out and started to head towards the kitchen. His heart started to beat quickly but he just kept on walking and tried to focus on his job. He got to his station and started to prepare the next batch of bread when all of a sudden, Suho came up to him.

            “Kyungsoo are you alright? You seem a little stressed out right now.” Suho asked.

            Kyungsoo had jumped a bit after hearing Suho speak. “Oh, yeah I’m fine. I think that I’m just tired.” He replied.

            That answer Suho didn’t buy at all. “You and I both know that that answer is a bunch of crap. When you get tired you work way too hard. So tell me what is going on and what is actually wrong with you.” He said.

            Kyungsoo bit his lip and then looked at Suho. “Okay I’ll tell you. But when I do you have to promise me that you aren’t going to tell anyone else.” He said.

            Suho was shocked to hear that answer. “I have told you so much Kyungsoo and you have never told a soul. You have been a good friend to me and the least I can do is return the favor. You can tell me anything.” He said.

            “I know, but I can’t tell you here. Can we go into your office?” Kyungsoo asked.

            Suho nodded and then the two went off to go into his office. Suho’s office wasn’t that far from the kitchen. It was the opposite way from the break room and only a few steps away from the kitchen. When both of them entered the room Suho closed the door and locked it just so that no one would disturb them. He then walked over to sit at his desk chair while Kyungsoo sat across from him.

            “So, what’s going on?” Suho asked.

            “Well the day you went to go grocery shopping something happened.” Kyungsoo said and then bit his lip. He was thinking of how to put the whole story. “After the high school rush I gave the main staff a break. During that break I stayed behind to get ready for the next rush and to make more bread. Then Kai joined me and we started talking and then he…”

            Suho tilted his head a bit and squinted his eyes. “Then he what?” He asked.

            Kyungsoo took in a very deep breath. “The he…kissed me.” He admitted.

            Suho’s eyes now grew very wide. “He kissed you?” He asked in shock.

            Kyungsoo nodded his head. “Yeah he did. The thing is though, after he did it I feel different about him. Every time I see him I can’t get near him because my heart starts to race. Then I just remember that kiss almost like it had just happened.” He said.

            There was a smile on Suho’s face. He leaned back in his chair and relaxed a bit. “Do you want my honest personal opinion?” He asked.

            Kyungsoo sighed at that. He knew that when Suho was going to tell him his personal opinion it was usually something that he wouldn’t like. “I guess so.” He said anyway.

            “I think that you actually like Kai. The reason as to why you can’t get near him is because you’re afraid to what your heart is going to tell you to do. How about you give the boy a chance? He’s really not a bad guy and he’s not that bad looking either. Think of it as an experiment. If you really start to feel close to him as in something more than now then you can stay with him. But if you start to feel less towards him then you can leave.” Suho advised.

            Kyungsoo’s face actually lit up. That was the best thing Suho had said to him in a long time. “That’s actually a really good idea Suho. But do you think that I could keep it from the other guys? Plus I’m worried that you are going to look at me differently.” He said with concern in his voice.

            “Why would I look at you any differently? You are as good as a friend gets Kyungsoo. You didn’t judge me when I said that I liked another man. I support you one hundred percent. And don’t worry. I am not going to tell anyone. Only the three of us are going to know about this.” Suho answered.

            There was a big smile that now arrived on Kyungsoo’s face. “Thanks Suho. You have always been a really good friend. Oh, I almost forgot. Is Kris on for the EXO party?” He asked just to change the subject.

            Suho now grew a little excited. He nodded. “He agreed to it after persuading him a bit. He basically said that as long as we have game that he would be all for it. But we can talk about all of that later. How about you and Kai take about a half hour break? I know how you two have worked so hard.” He said and then winked.

            A little chuckle left Kyungsoo’s lips and then he stood up from his chair. “Thanks Suho. I’ll talk to you later.” He said and then headed towards the door.

            “You better let me know what happens later.” Suho said teasingly.

            Kyungsoo had rolled his eyes and then walked out of Suho’s office. He waited outside the door for a second just so he could build up some courage to talk to Kai. After taking in a few deep breaths he finally found all this courage and walked into the kitchen.

            In order to get to Kai, Kyungsoo had to walk through the whole kitchen and then walk into the dining area. From there he went straight to the cash registrar where Kai was stationed.

            “I need to talk to you.” Kyungsoo whispered to Kai.

            “I can’t leave my station Kyungsoo. I have to take orders right now.” Kai replied.

            Kyungsoo took a good look around. There was barely anyone in the deli and there was no one coming in at the moment. He rolled his eyes and then let out a sigh. “Chanyeol, can you handle without Kai for a little while?” He asked.

            “Of course I can. No one really comes in at this hour anyway. I can manage without him for a while.” Chanyeol replied.

            “Okay good. Kai follow me.” Kyungsoo said. Kai bit his lip and let out a small sigh before following Kyungsoo.

            The two boys walked all the way to the break room. As they both entered the break room Kyungsoo closed the door. He didn’t lock it though since no one should be taking a break at this time anyway. But when he turned around to look at Kai he took in a deep breath.

            “What is it that you need to talk to me about?” Kai asked him first.

            Kyungsoo bit his lip and then walked over to Kai. Since he was the shorter one Kyungsoo had to look up to Kai. His eyes lingered on his for a while. And then they wondered to the small scratch that slightly bruised on Kai’s face.

            “I am sorry for the way I have acted. I really didn’t mean to punch you and make you feel bad. Everything happened so quickly that I just didn’t know what to do. It was all a shock.” Kyungsoo apologized.

            Kai sighed and then smiled. “It’s alright. I think that if it were me getting kissed out of nowhere by a man that I would have done the same thing. It’s only a natural reaction.” He said forgivingly.

            Kyungsoo had a blank face on. He looked over at Kai’s bruise and scratch again. He moved his hand up to gently touch the affected area. He tried his hardest not to hurt Kai. It still looked so fresh. “Does it hurt?” He asked.

            Kai shook his head and put his hand over Kyungsoo’s just so that he could hold him. “It really doesn’t hurt. It looks a whole lot worse than it really is.” He admitted.

            With Kai’s touch Kyungsoo could feel his heart beating faster. He swallowed and then gently pulled his hand out from under Kai’s grasp. “Kai, I really need to tell you something.” He said.

            “What is it?” Kai asked.

            Kyungsoo closed his eyes and took in a breath. “I really want to give us a try. It’s obvious that you like me and after that kiss I haven’t been able to think straight. So I am willing to try if you are.” He said.

            There was absolutely no reaction from Kai at first. But after another five seconds a giant smile emerged on his face. “I would really like that.” He replied.

            Kyungsoo nodded. “Okay but there is one more thing I need before we really start being together.” He said.

            “And what would that be?” Kai asked curiously.

            “I need you to kiss me again. I have to make sure that I really am feeling something towards you or if I am just plain crazy.” Kyungsoo said.

            Kai had to let out a little laugh at that. He then put a hand on Kyungsoo’s cheek and started to lean closer towards him. He leaned closer and closer until their lips had finally met. Kyungsoo felt like his heart was going to explode. This second kiss really did confirm that he had some feelings towards Kai.

            When Kai pulled away Kyungsoo had already started to miss his lips. Kyungsoo then leaned into Kai and started to give him a series of small kisses. Just his lips on Kai’s felt so right to him now.

            When their lips had parted for the last time both Kyungsoo and Kai took in deep breaths. “So are you just crazy or do you feel something towards me?” Kai asked.

            “Oh I feel something. I feel like I’m going crazy.” Kyungsoo joked.

            Kai laughed and then pulled Kyungsoo into a hug. “So you and I can be together now?” He asked.

            Kyungsoo nodded. “Yeah. You can’t tell anyone though. I’m not ready for everyone to know about this yet. At work we have to act like we did before. But afterwards we can hang out all we want.” He said.

            Kai nodded and let Kyungsoo go. “I guess that is only fair.” He agreed.

            “Good, now let’s get back to work. We have some mouths to feel.” Kyungsoo said and then the two boys left the break room to go back to work.

            After that day the two boys spent the day at work and then nights hanging out with each other.

 

A/N: Hey guys hope you liked the Kaisoo. Just so you know the EXO party won't be until another four chapters. But I will help build it up each chapter. Hope you guys look forward to it. Hmm what couple is next?