Friday

Of Lollipops and SMS

——————

Friday
 







It was Friday. It was that one day of the week the couple reserved just for themselves. The day they’d go out, stay in or just spend the day resting. So Yeonhee grabbed the cellphone that laid quietly on her desk and sent him a text message. A reminder that it was indeed Friday. She then turned back to the screen in front of her and started typing her time away, stealing glances at the screen of her phone, waiting for his reply. One new text message.

Sorry, I’m busy today. I won’t be able to pick you up later.

Her heart sank. Six days of waiting, all for naught. She sighed and filled her head with thoughts of work instead.

You look pretty.

She read the text message again. She turned around and saw no signs of him, not a single thread of his hair were visible in her sight. She’d memorize him by now, falling in love with him for two years now.

I thought you were busy ):

She replied, still looking for signs of him as she leaned on the door while the train moved its way to the next stop.

I am busy.

She frowned even more. She knew him. If he was busy, he wouldn’t even texting her; yet there he was, wasting time on his cellphone, claiming to be busy. The train stopped. People got in, people got out.

But really, you look beautiful even if your clothes look hideous ;P

She looked around, trying to find the man on the other line of the phone. “Where are you?” she said, almost like a whisper that came out uncontrollably from her lips.

“I’m right here.” His voice came as his arms found itself wrapped around her waist.

“I thought you were busy.” She huffed, whining in a mock hurt voice.

He chuckled. “I was busy.” He then took something out of his pocket. The train stopped. People got off the train. He got down on one knee. “I was busy looking for this.” He opened the small velvet box. People stopped and looked at the scene the beautiful man caused.

Yeonhee nudged him with her feet, mouthing him to stand up. She knew what was going to happen next, but she didn’t enjoy the stares of the many onlookers in the train. “Jaejoong, will you stand up?” she gritted through her teeth.

“Will you let me finish?” He said in a harder voice. Stopped nudging him. He smiled at her and as usual, she too, smiled at him. It was rather contagious, his smile. And then, as everyone in the station waited, he asked her, “Lee Yeonhee, will you marry me?”

It was Friday and she was happy.