"I'm confused"

Like A Dream

Jihae had always been confident, too confident that she decided to take this journey on her own. She’s always at the top of her class and her intellect was unpaired. But, right now, she faced a difficult problem only she could solve.

“What’s up with that bracelet?” she looked at her own wrist. She imagined the engraved words in that bracelet and wanted to see more of it. She wanted to bang herself on the wall, “What if he’s just my imagination?”

She then tried to find a necklace tucked on her bag. She wasn’t able to let it out since she came to Seoul, Korea. With thinking of positive thoughts, she smiled at the necklace. She couldn’t have been wrong. There was someone, her soulmate, in the same high school she was attending to. She was positive of it and the only thing she could do right now was to observe and investigate.

She was about to lose her mind.

And then, she saw the leader of Infinite, Kim Sunggyu. His small eyes endeared many, somehow the Infinite boys feared him. Well, he looked vulnerable to her as Jihae approached him.

“Woah!” Sunggyu gasped, looking at the small-framed Jihae behind him. He curved a slight smirk, seeing this little fine girl.

“Oppa~” Jihae sang, wanting to tag along. She wanted to make sure that if he’s one of the members of ulzzang group, she could narrow down the possibilities.

“You’re weird.” Sunggyu creased his forehead. He then pinched Jihae’s cheeks. “What’s the matter? You looked restless.”

Jihae puffed her cheeks. She then touched her rosy cheeks, getting red. It was still warm. Maybe, she was not really used to skinships. This first time of hers gave her a scare somehow.

“Where are you going, Oppa~” Since it was the club activities after classes, Jihae was waiting for the perfect opportunity to run with the Infinite boys. She looked flirtatious, but didn’t mind it since she wasn’t really like that deep inside.

“I’m playing basketball with the others. Come with me.” Sunggyu led her to the basketball court, perfectly occupied by the other six students who were leisurely playing as if they owned the place.

And, yes. They did own the place since the principal gave that basketball court for them to enjoy. And, it was though they were doing anything at that moment that they like and felt like doing to.

Myungsoo shifted his gaze on Jihae. He felt restless whenever she was around, there was something inside her that he didn’t want to. Maybe because he was just like her, that lifeless and cold eyes that couldn’t be painted. L saw his own reflection on her.

Meanwhile, Woohyun beamed at the sight of Jihae. He was glad she was there as he looked at Sunggyu. Sunggyu gave a thumbs-up.  Woohyun then approached Jihae and tried to ask, “Wanna play?”

Jihae felt frightened. She never wanted attention that’s why she couldn’t want to. She didn’t want to be the same old Jihae. “I…I don’t play.”

“Weak.” L chuckled softly.

Jihae put her hands on her waist. “What are you saying?”

“Nothing.” L stuck his tongue. He then plopped himself on the bench side, looking at the others. He had his fun teasing Jihae over anything.

Dongwoo with the others were having some merry-making, playing basketball again. They were alive with just playing and playing and playing. Sungyeol waved at L to play.

“I’ll pass. I’m tired.” L lied down on the bench, as he closed his eyes for a nap.

 

While L was lying down sleeping like a tamed beast, Jihae was properly tended by Woohyun. Woohyun was being considerate, thinking of how perfect this girl could be.

She’s my ideal girl. Woohyun nodded. Jihae thought he was weird and touched his forehead. He blushed red, and shoved her hands away.

“You are not sick, right?” Jihae inched her face close to him. He gasped, catching for his breath.

“This is no good.” Woohyun was having his heart thudding.

It was the first time for him to even have this type of emotion. He was always surrounded by wealth and business and riches. He was not able to play along with ‘normal’ people and the only persons surrounding him were the Infinite boys. His parents were strict and stern, and every time he was going to introduce his girlfriends to them. They would shake their heads and asked for Woohyun to break up with that person.

This left Woohyun to never believe that he was going to find true love.

Not, until he saw the perfectness in this person clearly. But, he knew she was too enigmatic. How could a person have those hideous eyes and those curved lips even though she didn’t feel anything deep inside?

Meanwhile, Dongwoo and Sunggyu were looking on their dongsaengs, resting and drinking sports drinks.

“Something’s weird with Woohyun.”

Dongwoo looked at the talking Sunggyu. “You are the one who’s weird.”

“Why?” He creased his forehead.

“Well, hyung, you’ve been showing some interest in that girl for a while now.”

Sunggyu furrowed his brows, clenching his fist. “Really?”

“Yeah. Perhaps, do you know her?”

“I don’t know. She’s not different….” As Sunggyu trailed his thoughts, he stopped momentarily and looked at his wrist watch. The sun was about to set and it was time to wake L up. “Aish…how could they be so lazy?”

“Hyung, you didn’t even finished what you’re saying!” Dongwoo slapped his lap. “How could everyone swoon over her?” Dongwoo couldn’t understand how everyone was slightly different when she was around. It was as if they were alarmed, even more so, she was the only girl they were approaching, beaming at, and having fun with.

Dongwoo shook his head in amazement. Maybe, things would clear out as time passed by.

 

Sunggyu had troubles waking L up. He was sleeping soundly on the bench as if he could sleep anywhere just like Dongwoo could. Jihae looked at L and saw how perfect his face was.

“Ah…Woohyun-oppa, one question.” Jihae shifted her gaze at Woohyun who looking back at him. “Why didn’t he read the opening speech? He’s the first in the whole school, right?”

“Well…” Woohyun scratched the back of his neck. “He just doesn’t like attention and the principal allows us to do things we wanted in here so…”

“So, he’s also burdened by his own surroundings.” Jihae felt empathic. There was someone like him, maybe at the far-side of Korea they were like similar poles. But, like poles repel each other. He couldn’t be that person. He was so different to me in my dreams.

Jihae tried to pat his shoulder. Surprisingly, with just that magic touch, L moved as if obeying with her orders. L yawned and stretched out his hands. “Auh…we’re going.” Jihae wheezed, blowing on her bangs.

“Glasses girl.” L tried to touch her glasses. He smiled, widely totally genuine for Jihae. She froze on the spot, crouched at L’s eye level. L got up, and was supported by Sungyeol. He was wobbling after all. Jihae blinked rapidly, not able to take the cheesiness.

His smile.

His face.

Jihae gulped, her eyes were in awe. Woohyun tried to stir her up. “Ah! Yeah, let’s go.” Woohyun gave her bag to her as they were leaving the school campus.

“Who’s going to take Jihae to their dorms?” Hoya announced as everyone looked at each other. They were shooting glances on Dongwoo since he was a good driver.

“Not me, I have an appointment with my Dad.”

“Then, how about me?” Woohyun smiled sheepishly as he pointed to himself.

“No, you are coming with me.” Sunggyu slung his arm over Woohyun. “We have a party to attend to.”

Woohyun snarled. “But, I want to see where she’s living.” He puffed his cheeks, looking like a vulnerable little bunny to Jihae.

“Ah… I guess you don’t have to. I’ll just take the b---“

“No, come with me, noona.” Sungjong was typing a text to his driver. Anytime soon, and his driver would come. “Just ride with me, noona.”

“If you say so.” Jihae knew how generous they were and it would disappoint them if she would decline. She was happy that Sungjong volunteered to. She was going to lose her mind if his hyungnims would be the one to, they were pretty talkative and she didn’t want to open up with them.

 

“So, here you are.” Sungjong waved to her for a goodbye. “Noona, take care. Let’s go and play basketball I’ll teach you how.” He beamed, as he tried to lower the tainted window of the car.

“Take care, too.” Jihae tilted her body as she was approached by Sunhee.

Sunhee looked grumpy, seeing her get off Sungjong’s car. If there was a word to describe her cheekiness, that would be jealousy. She couldn’t find Jihae anywhere and since the basketball court was said to be private and authorized only for the Infinite boys Sunhee didn’t have a chance to be with Jihae.

And, the only thing that could make her face conjured like that was how Woohyun looked and felt so comfortable with Jihae. Sunhee clenched her fist as she tried to collect her thoughts. She blew on her bangs as she approached Jihae.

“I could explain.”

“No need…to you didn’t do anything wrong.”  Sunhee brightened up, and plastered her face with a slight smile. It was a smile that could hide a thousand tears.

“Let’s go now.” Jihae tried to hold her hand as they went inside the dorms. Sunhee was being too gloomy as it didn’t escape Jihae’s eyes.

“You know, what? I liked Woohyun-oppa.”

Jihae and Sunhee paused. Jihae looked at the on the verge to cry Sunhee.

“I know…” She looked at the floor, playing with her fingers. “And, that’s how I wanted to…”

“Then, don’t approach Infinite any longer!!!”

“What? I couldn’t do that?” Jihae knew that Sunhee couldn’t understand. She was chasing a guy out of her dreams and now, she didn’t even step closer to that silver bracelet. She was not even at the right mind right now to have a boyfriend. But, the only thing that Jihae wanted the most was him that would love him as much as she loves him. That dreamy paradise that she didn’t want to get over with.

“Jihae-yah…” Sunhee at this point was sobbing. Her make-up was on a mess, and Jihae tried to hug her friend. “At this point… Woohyun-oppa wouldn’t like me.”

“I…I don’t know what you are talking about.” Still, Jihae was holding her crying friend on her arms. “But please don’t cry. I don’t want to see my only friend like this.”

“Please…please, Jihae-yah… help me.” Sunhee fell to the floor, unconscious. Jihae touched her forehead and she was burning hot. She called for help as Mrs. Lee tried to support Sunhee.

“What happened? She’s burning hot! Let’s take her to the hospital.”

“Neh…” Jihae tried to hail a taxi, supporting the right shoulder of Sunhee while Mrs. Lee was at the other. They got off at the nearest general hospital and admitted Sunhee.