Their First Fight

Like A Dream

Jihae called Woohyun in the middle of the night. Woohyun got up from his bed and tried to answer her call.

“Jihae?” Woohyun beamed. He was unusually getting hyped up every time he had a chance to hear her soft voice over the phone.

“Uhm…Oppa.” Jihae said distractedly, looking at the test papers she assigned for the boys to answer. Since L had always been on par with her, she didn’t bother to even call his attention. He was as perfect as usual. But, it placed a certain person on a tight spot. Hoya was always scoring low, not even getting as high as a fifty in the test. She couldn’t believe this as she tried to dial Woohyun’s number on her smartphone.

“Well…it was just his family’s business was about Korea’s traditions. He’s used to doing calligraphy and memorizing different from Mandarin and Japanese that he got so fed up of it that he couldn’t put it down on his own. Don’t worry there was no time that he got to detention because of this.”

“You’re not being helpful!” Jihae shot back. Her eyes ran cold, her cheeks flaring up. “Don’t you even tell me that you’re using your influence to this again?” Jihae murmured over the phone.

“I’m not…but, I could.” Woohyun was being honest. His family was associates of the school and that he could even control this. But, not as much power as Myungsoo’s family had, but no more than that. He couldn’t understand what’s wrong with her. Was she perhaps falling for Hoya that she thought it to be necessary for him to pass? “You know, Jihae. You’re getting too far on this.”

“What too far?” Jihae blinked grumpily. She wanted to rip off that damn phone she was clenching. She fumed over the issue as if Woohyun was not even involved in this. She hated how Woohyun was getting suspicious of her; she knew it just by hearing it.

“I’m just saying that…some people might not understand.” Woohyun calmed his nerves. It was going to be a fight and he would stop it with all the means he could.

“WHY?! Are you not trusting me on this? I’m just concerned. I don’t want my boyfriend’s friend to face the consequences if I could do something to help.”

“I understand…” He hesitated. “But, just accept that Hoya couldn’t make it. And, don’t you go butting on someone’s business ever again.”

The conversation fell silent. There was a gap that grew on Jihae’s heart. She got disheartened to talk all of a sudden. Woohyun was patiently waiting for her to reply but she just heard someone sobbing over the phone.

“I…I’ve got to do something.” Jihae ended the call. She laid herself on her bed as she tried to fall fast asleep.

Maybe, now that she found him. She wouldn’t be able to find comfort on her dreams. By that instinctive thought, she found herself playing at the necklace which was the keepsake of her grandma. It was made of pure gold and that only thing that she valued so much in her life. She cried over it, while clenching it on her small and fragile hands. She hugged her pillow, not minding how her eyes grew tired of crying.

It was of real pain for someone to distrust her. And more so, it was disappointing that it was him who doubted.

Jihae didn’t sleep even a wink at that night. She grabbed her backpack and wobbled as she marched off her room. Mrs. Lee looked at her in disbelief, “Wash your face.” She commanded, looking at the horrible Park Jihae.

Jihae adjusted her plastic eyeglasses as she forgot to put it on again. She got distracted at that conversation which constantly haunted her mind over time. She washed up and followed the storm of girls going to the canteen. She eyed Sunhee at the farthest table, she curtly waved on her direction.

Sunhee gasped as she looked at Jihae. Jihae looked at her not minding how she looked at her. She plopped herself on the seat, looking like there was nothing wrong.

“What’s with those very, very huge and dark circles, huh?” Sunhee traced it, touching her eyelids.

“Shut up!” She shoved her hands away.

“Did you fight with him?” Sunhee questioned, thinking of the obvious.

“No…no way.” She muttered indifferently. “There’s no fight going on with me and Woohyun who couldn’t even trust me.”

”Trust you?” Sunhee bit the straw on her milkshake. “So, there’s really something going on. Tell me.”

“No, this was nothing.” She faked a smile.

“I know how you fake a smile.” Sunhee pointed out. That unusual glint and spark on her eyes when she lies. She caught her red-handedly. She mastered how it worked out on Jihae’s system so for her to copy it at the best of her abilities like she was a looming silhouette.

“Okay, you caught me.” She momentarily closed her eyes, catching for breath. “Well…we fought over his jealousy over Hoya.” She gulped.

“Woohyun’s that type to cherish someone so much.” Sunhee giggled.

“Hey, this isn’t something to go on giggling about.” She stopped her.

“Okay…okay, continue.”

“Well…he thought that I’m giving Hoya special attention that I could be growing feelings for him already. It was just a handful how he phrased it that I shouldn’t go on bothering his friends’ businesses. I mean, Hoya’s a friend.”

“Auhh…” Sunhee looked up behind her, getting her eyes in awe. She rolled her eyes, distractingly not looking at Jihae. “Ah…”

“What?”

“You guys, have to talk.” L’s voice drew even closer.

“Huh?” Jihae looked behind. “Why are all of you here?”

“I gave them permission. Five minutes would be up in any moment.” Mrs. Lee looked stern, I don’t give such a long time for my girls to have their boyfriends lurking around. Now, L-sshi, could you fulfill your request to go out already? The girls are all gawking over you.”

“Mianhe.” He humbly apologized. He murmured something on Woohyun’s ears. “Just grab her hand, let’s go out.” He turned his back.

Jihae froze as she looked up to his features. Woohyun did as what L said to him, grabbing her forcibly. “

“Come with me already.”

Jihae’s face fell. She tried to let herself loose of his grip. Woohyun raised a brow. “What’s the problem with you?!” He raised his tone to her for the first time.

Upon hearing it, Jihae slapped her hands both on the solid table. She trailed her eyes off the exit without even looking at the passing Infinite boys. She heaved out a deep sigh.

She clenched the grip on her bag, hailing for the bus. She got on. Her tears were welling up as she tried to endure it even more. She buried her face on her palms, thinking how it got to be that way.

Their personalities couldn’t click.

And, the only thing that Jihae wanted to ask was why it was like that?

It was supposedly a happy ending. But, maybe, she was never going to get it so easily.

 

Woohyun was left coldly by Jihae as he stood there like a lame crap. Sunggyu tapped his shoulders, as he instructed him to go outside.

Sunhee looked down as if the world was already trembling. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Woohyun’s trembling hands. She wanted to hold it tightly but she couldn’t even lift her hand on her side for it. L patted her back passionately, thinking that her actions were pretty obvious.

Sunhee was escorted by the boys in Sungyeol’s car. The atmosphere was a bit tense and different. Sunhee wandered how it gravely affected their life. She thought of how Jihae was gravely affecting their life now.

“It’s my fault.” Hoya uttered under his breath. He clicked his tongue.

“There’s nothing we could do.” Woohyun sighed. “This is my fault that she got angry at me. I couldn’t even say anything to her. I couldn’t even stop her.”

Meanwhile, Sunhee noticed that the boys were wearing something common. She had seen this before. It was the silver bracelet that she saw Jihae was holding previously. The engraved words came out prettily, chiseled into perfection.

“That necklace…” She whispered for only L to hear.

“We all have this.” He showed it to her.

“But…but,…” Sunhee thought of it clearly.

“What is it?” L raised a brow.

“Nothing…” She faked a smile. She shifted her gaze as they approached Woollim High. She was going to tell Jihae about this. But, right now, it would lead them to break up. She hid her face as she followed Woohyun. That man she loved would be affected by this; he wouldn’t be able to take it.

*Keep your mouth shut for now.* Sunhee thought, tugging along with the boys.

As the boys went inside the classroom, loud cheers were heard from the girls. But, as soon as they saw Sunhee, they shot her death glares. Before, it was Jihae and now, it was Sunhee. Those girls wanted their death wishes. But, the girls knew they couldn’t harm them. Infinite was guarding them 24/7 with their beautiful eyes. Only the two girls were allowed to access contact with them.

The boys were sitting quietly with a down atmosphere.

Jihae felt dejected all along with the boys stealing glances on her. She needed to patch things up before it could get even more complicated, but the cold and childish girl inside of her hollered through and through to how much Woohyun thought of her. She felt that she didn’t like being thought of that way, more so by her boyfriend. Maybe, that was what made to shut though it would launch a thousand words in no time.

“Jihae-yah…” Sunhee sighed.

Right after classes, Sunhee was the first one to go next to Jihae. Jihae was walking to the restroom, feeling exasperated from studying. She looked at herself in the mirror again, thinking how she couldn’t even have a conversation with him.

Meanwhile, Sunhee got a text from L.

To: Sunhee

From: L

Okay, here’s the plan. Let’s go to the basketball court right after the afternoon classes. We’ve been talking about this for a while. I think they could talk here.

Sunhee nodded, looking intently.

“What are you doing?” Jihae said, washing her hands on the sink.

“Nothing.” She chucked her phone on her bag nervously. She was afraid of being caught.

“Really?” Jihae raised her eyebrow. “Do you have something to explain to me?” She put both her hand on her waist, eyeing her bestfriend intently.

“Nothing…really.” She assured, shaking her head.

“It’s fine with me not knowing. I know I would know about it sooner or later.” Jihae walked past Sunhee, shrugging.

“Pweeh~” Sunhee exhaled. “I felt really suffocated about this.” Sunhee leaned on a pillar. “How could this be so complicated?” Suddenly, the image of Woohyun, on the verge of tears came to her mind. She felt a tinge of pain from it. She thought she would never experience such a thing as this.

She followed Jihae as she exited the restroom.

As the classes resumed, the Infinite boys looked strangely as Woohyun tried to have a decent conversation on Jihae. In which in return, Jihae was giving off a cold shoulder. She didn’t like how Woohyun intervened with her plan of teaching Hoya. Poor Hoya thought it was his fault. He was sighing gravely, wanting to be swallowed by the ground that instant.

It didn’t help that Sungyeol and Sunggyu assured him that it was just a lovers’ quarrel on the part of the two.

“Well…sometimes, their relationship should be shaken for them to test their feelings, right?” Sunggyu winked, patting Hoya on his back.

“Not to mention that… you know, what?” Sungyeol went his way to meet L’s eyes. “L is getting pretty hyped up over this. He wanted the two of them to reconcile.”

Dongwoo joined along, grinning wildly. He signaled a thumbs up.

“L-hyung’s just strange for no reason.” Sungjong followed up, not getting why L was involved with this.

“Hey, you boys! I don’t know what you are talking about in class, but please, you’re not the only people around here.” Their teacher threw a chalk on their direction. They got alarmed and fell silent.