Strange Turn of Events

Like A Dream

 

More and more, Infinite had come to know of Park Jihae. She wasn’t normal they knew, but there was something more to her.

She was not the normal type of person to take down notes in class. She had the sharp memory retention surpassing geniuses and was able to cope with the rest of the class.

This unimaginable charm captured Woohyun’s eyes even more. From his peripheral view, he viewed Jihae as much as he observed the blackboard in front of him.

A chalk flew as it dashes through Woohyun’s desk. His face fell as Teacher Shin shot him a death glare.

“Will you please pay attention in class, Mr. Nam? I must say I should call your father’s attention.” The old Mister with his sharp eyes made a face.

Woohyun smirked as he didn’t get him. “Oh?” He surveyed everyone’s expressions. “I must say…you should call him. I don’t know if he would ever reply.”

The whole class chuckled. They didn’t take it seriously.

“Sir, I must say he’s truly telling the truth.” Hoya raised a point. “You couldn’t truly contact his father.” He shook his head.

L glanced at Woohyun. “Of course, he couldn’t. He couldn’t even spare a single talk with his own so---“

“Shut up, L.” Sunggyu cut off his words.

“What’s up?” Jihae who was scribbling random notes on her notebook, blinked. She looked up to Sungyeol who was sweating as much.

“Well…that’s a sensitive spot for us.” He said truthfully. “Even if Woohyun-hyung always jokes around, he’s pretty hard on himself. Noting that, he came from a family of perfectionists.” Sungyeol whispered for only her to hear.

Jihae glanced at Woohyun. He noticed, as he spared him a sweet smile. “I love you.” He pointed it out, simply every day.

“Arasseo.” Jihae replied, just like the other days.

Class was dismissed and they ventured at the cafeteria. Jihae and Sunhee parted ways. Sunhee didn’t want to see how Jihae and Woohyun flirted with each other on how they found each other through Jihae’s dreams.

 

“Sunhee!!” L called Sunhee’s attention. Sunhee turned back, seeing L huffing and puffing. She never noticed how much he called her name over and over. She was too occupied with the things about school and about Nam Woohyun.

“I’m sorry…” Her face fell. “Are you alright?” She dug her handkerchief on her pocket. She gestured to wipe off the sweat from his face.

“I’m alright.” L caught her hand.

“Really?” Sunhee waited for his question but since it didn’t come. She was the first to open up the conversation. “As…I was saying, what is your business with me?”

“Oh…sorry.” L tried to shake her hand.

“What?”

“Let’s be friends?” L acted all cutesy. Even if Sunhee wasn’t the type to easily swoon over, she knew how perfect he looks and how his personality was a match for it. Too bad, she didn’t want to associate with Infinite again. It only caused her heartbreaks.

“Okay…” She nonchalantly uttered. She sighed, “Why all of a sudden?”

“Actually…” L looked all nervous. He stuffed his bag with the books as he led her to the library. “I wanted to study. I couldn’t concentrate if I see Jihae and Woohyun-hyung.”

“That so?” Sunhee beamed, there was someone just like her. Someone who wouldn’t dare to cut off the bonds but wanted the lovers to be together. “Me, too.” She chuckled softly.

They went inside the library as they watched as the people went to appropriate seats. They looked for empty seats but found none. L sighed, but he allowed his eyes to trail off. He tapped his chin, “Let’s just seat near the racks.” He pointed to the rack at the Science Section.

“I think so…” Sunhee followed along. Unlike Jihae she wasn’t fond of going to the library nor did she want to study. She just wanted to know how L did it and why was it supposed to be her. She plopped on the ground, facing L. L looked straight at her.

She pinked, “What are you looking at?” She let out a mirror and saw nothing on her face. “There’s nothing on my face.”

“You’re pretty.” L gave a lopsided smile. He let out his stuffed bag and tried to pick a book to be read.

“What’s that?” Sunhee tried to read the letters on the cover. “The Best of Me…” She began to remember Nam Woohyun. Even if she didn’t know of him that much, she still wanted to hold on to this love even if it was unrequited and forever it would be.

“I like this book, I only did to read some chapters and I know how deep the meanings are inside. The recollection of memories and the happiness they felt, it was something to be praised.”

“Yeah?” She began to remember how Jihae bickered about that same book. She announced the maturity and intricateness of the book that made her yawn as she tried to read it.

Jihae was a person without feelings, but if she poured some due to her own accord and tried to be human, she was a good friend and companion. There was no mistake about it, the only thing she needed was love to be perfect.

Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. That was how Sunhee envisioned Jihae to be not until she damped everything just to come here in Seoul to find Nam Woohyun.

“L…you just needed to read? But, why don’t you just ask the members to accompany you? You don’t even need to study. Are you perhaps avoiding something?”

L shifted his gaze to the racks. “It’s not that I don’t want to see them. It’s just that I wanted to be alone.” He stood up, also helping Sunhee to.

Sunhee let out her face powder as she tried to apply some on her face. “I hate wrinkles.”

“You’d get more if you applied more make-up.” L reached for a random book on one of the shelves. “Memories… I wanted to know more about this.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

L got to the register desk as he tried to borrow a book. The old librarian recognized him, “Oh…I was wondering what you are doing nowadays.”

“School stuffs.” He said coolly. He presented his borrower’s car. The librarian tried to look at the book.

“Reading about everything again?”

“Of course.” L turned his back after saying goodbye.

 

It was already nighttime. Tomorrow Infinite and Jihae would be going to Hoya’s place to study since he insisted to do it on his house. No one declined since Hoya’s house is a fun place to go to. L remembered it and tried to invite Sunhee.

“You’re inviting me?” Sunhee looked pretty shocked. It was obvious that she wanted to. “Can I really tag along?”

“You know, what?” L put his hand on his chin. “I don’t know much but I think you and Woohyun-hyung are so alike. The way the two of you looked pretty connected and how both of you valued your faces were so identical.”

“No…” She didn’t want to hear it. She knew that Woohyun was better off for her but he chose his own destiny instead. It was futile to fight off between the destinies of both of them.

They were meant to be.

“A perfect match.” L muttered under his breath.

“L-sshi.” Sunhee’s voice became low and stuttering. There were tears gathering on her eyes.

“What is it?” L bowed down on her eyelevel. “You’re too formal to me. You can call me Myungsoo.”

“Myungsoo, too old-fashioned.” Sunhee rubbed her eyes and forced a smile. “Then, I’d be going with Jihae tomorrow.”

“Yup.” L nodded, assuringly.

 

L sent Sunhee home. Jihae was waiting at the entrance, waving at Sunhee who was already late. She was waiting for thirty minutes, standing there like an idiot.

“Yah!” She patted her shoulder.

“Hmn?” Sunhee was smiling from ear to ear. She was too amazed how happy that she got L’s company.

“Why are you happy about? Who was that?”

“Who? No one.” She turned her back to her best friend.

“Wait…” Jihae tugged on her uniform. “Is that L?”

“Myungsoo?” Sunhee pinked.

“Myungsoo…but he doesn’t want any girl to call him that. It was reserved for the person he likes.”

“Then, that’s supposed to mean…” Sunhee hesitated. “He likes me!!” She jumped in excitement, jesting her friend who looked pretty annoyed surprisingly.

“Just help me pack some lunch for the Woohyun. He’s insisting on making him a doshirak for tomorrow.”

“I’d be happy to.” They went inside as Sunhee looked pretty powered-up. Jihae pouted as she looked at her best friend looking like an idiot.

“Now, how do we start this?” Sunhee looked at the ingredients. “You had bought too many.”

“It’s because Woohyun handed all these to me. He’s too eager.”

“Hehe. This is just a piece of cake.”

Jihae adjusted the bridge of her eyeglasses. “I’m going to be doomed if this doesn’t taste good.”

“Pfft.” Sunhee resisted on cracking up. “Where’s the brainy Jihae who was skilled at everything?”

“BESIDES GIRLY STUFFS!!!” She declared, “Hand me things I could do.” She demanded.

“Okay..okay…” Sunhee looked at her friend who just got embarrassed. “Jihae, you never change. You just got to be the real you…” She commented.

“What?” Jihae was too occupied with cutting the radish that she didn’t take notices of what Sunhee said.

“Nothing.” Sunhee looked at her in the eyes. “Perhaps, you don’t truly need it. You just missed having it.”