Saying Sorry

Like A Dream

 

Woohyun was trembling as he waited for Jihae and for the sun to set. He was blinking already, tired of setting the table and doing the cooking. He was not really best but he could do some scrumptious dishes. He laughed at himself, feeling played at.

It was the first time that he was making something this grand for a girl. For a special girl. He was always thinking of how much it would make his heart stir and felt like it was all a dream. But, he took the opposite course here. He felt nervous, suffocated and most of all, in the verge of tears. He wanted her to be happy and because of his impulsive side, he hurt Jihae’s feelings. He knew she was going to help and he never allowed his fellow members to even say that, they’d never betray him.

He wanted to thank L so many times for being such a true friend to him. L was the mastermind in all these conspiracies and if it would succeed, he would kiss L so many times and hug him as much as possible as a very good hyung he was.

“Oh…where are they?” Woohyun’s stomach growled. He was not eating anything from the evening that they’d fight. He was never with the Infinite boys when they were taking their lunches. Well, his heart and mind resided to the dreamland when he saw Jihae and him snuggling and feeling happy and contented.

Sunhee smirked from behind. She was hollered by the members to take a simple errand to watch out for Woohyun if he ever got into trouble and saw to it that he would not damage himself or go to self-destruction due to being depressed. Thank God, this person isn’t a fool. She thought to herself, holding her hand near her chest.

There was a thudding feeling and she couldn’t stop it.

Woohyun looked around and saw Sunhee, standing there like a mannequin.

“When did you get there?” Woohyun looked around. He shifted his gaze on Sunhee.

“Ahh…” She rubbed the back of her neck. “I heard your stomach growling.” She set her bag on one of the seats as she rummaged through her things. “These are some oat cookies. Want some?” She offered a plenty of those, packed on a transparent plastic with a pink ribbon wrapped on it.

“Did you make this?” He thought he was going to die any minute and tried to taste some. “Wow…” He smiled in admiration.

“Good thing, you liked it.” Sunhee smiled back meekly.

Woohyun finished it, then afterwards feeling guilty that he didn’t even leave one behind. “Is it alright?”

“Yeah, yeah…” Sunhee said distractingly. She was looking at the other direction in hopes of finding the Infinite boys hurriedly. She woke up early in the morning to bake it, thinking that she might let the boys taste it. And, all of a sudden, she was very happy to see that Woohyun was the one who said that it was good.

“Next time, you bring me again…” He winked.

Sunhee pinked. “Ah…I guess that’s it then.” She ruffled through her hair. “Oh, there they are…” She pointed to the right direction.

 

“Hey, hey…” Jihae was looking for something in the dark. She was blindfolded by the Infinite boys as they were trying to surprise her. She didn’t look like she was having fun though. Looking intently, she was having a hard time thinking that every time she set her foot or the other on the ground, she might trip.

“Don’t worry…” A voice called out to her. She sensed that it was fine and that everyone was with her. She wasn’t alone and she was doing fine. She squeezed her hand on him, trying to calm her nerves.

L nodded as she did that. They were already nearing the location and he needed to let go of that hand.

L let go of her the moment he saw Woohyun, waving at him. He pushed Jihae on Sunggyu’s as the older squeezed her hand. This made Jihae feel weird, somewhat it wasn’t the same warmth she had wanted. But, she couldn’t be demanding. She had already found him.

Jihae sat down, calmly facing Woohyun. She saw the candles, rose petals around the table. The lit fire made Jihae feel moved and wanted to appreciate the setting. Woohyun looked at her deep in the eyes as she looked away. Woohyun sighed, “I’m really sorry.”

“Not bad.” Sunggyu cooed, watching the scene. Woohyun glared at him.

“I don’t get this…” Jihae felt awkward. It was her first time dealing with this. She never felt that there was this person who would do this for her. She longed and longed for it. Truly, the man of her dreams could make her experience the warmth and happiness that had been stripped off.

“Don’t worry…” Woohyun gently took her hand. “Let’s eat.”

He tried to give Jihae a bit of his cooking. Sunhee looked impressed at Woohyun. She looked at him tenderly. And, this didn’t go unnoticed. Of course, L had a keen mind for it. But, he didn’t say anything and continued to observe like he was seeing a confession.

The boys felt shivers as the night drew closer. Jihae and Woohyun asked the boys and Sunhee to tag along with them. They ate the dishes then decided to leave afterwards. The maids came out and tried to remove the table from the basketball court ordered by Woohyun.

“I’d be taking you home.” Woohyun led Jihae to his car. “I’m really sorry.”

“Well…I’m also harsh and I’m sorry that I’m not nice.” Jihae said truthfully. “I never dealt with such lovers’ quarrel before. You see, you are my first boyfriend.”

Woohyun grinned. “Well…” He fiddled through his phone. “Ajusshi, let’s take her home.”

“Auh…” Jihae couldn’t find the right words. “Thank you so much for this. I’m really moved.”

“Really?” Woohyun blinked. “I never thought that you could say that you aren’t nice.”

“Why?” She tried to keep quiet.

“Because…there’s no person in this world who isn’t nice. There are some things that would make them not.”

“We’re all natural good people, huh?” Jihae felt seeing her grandmother again. She was always the one who encouraged Jihae to be a friend to everyone. It felt nostalgic that Woohyun was mentioning her grandma’s catch phrase.

“Here you are…” Woohyun got off the car, escorting Jihae.

“Thanks for the meal?” Jihae blushed.

“Anytime…”

Jihae turned back. Woohyun tried to look at her as she entered the dorm. Jihae didn’t turn back which disappointed him gravely. Oh, well. He knew that there was no problem to them any longer. If it took him days for this to be done, he might go insane. He wanted to thank his friends for this.

 

Sunhee was looking at the boys having their own conversation on Sunggyu’s family car. She was sitting idly there and could vaguely here what they were discussing.

“Yah!” Dongwoo called out to L.

L shifted his gaze on Dongwoo. “What is it, hyung?”

All of the boys narrowed their gazes on the two. They looked like they were anticipating for something. L sensed it and smiled meekly. He then tried to look at the window.

“No more excuses Myungsoo.” Hoya tried to wrap things up. “Do you like her?” Hoya was being dignified.

L was being dignified, too. He felt nervous all of a sudden. “Who?”

“Yah!” Sungyeol nudged his elbow. “Jihae…Park Jihae.”

“WHAT?” L cowered. He couldn’t believe their accusations. “I’m not.” He muttered under his breath.

“You’re getting red, hyung…” Sungjong teased.

“What?” L face-palmed. “You know, guys…” He hesitated. “I wouldn’t betray Woohyun-hyung. He’s a true friend to me and so is Jihae. I also don’t like all of you pairing me to her. You know Hyung really likes her, right? I don’t want to go in between them. Never in my dreams…”

“Arasseo.” Hoya chuckled. “You didn’t have to be defensive.”

“Hmph.” L glanced at the window. Yeah, he knew that he was not meant to be with her. But, why did he feel this crushing feeling deep inside him? It was like his insides were groaning in pain and mocking him for being such a foolish person.