L.Joe: viii

Lost Dreamers

Byunghun spent the past one-hour, dealing with gawking girls and boys. Perhaps, it wasn’t that great of an idea to have enrolled Teen Top into the same school. For one thing that bothered him, more than anything would be In-Na’s mistreatment towards him. To put it this way, nothing else felt worst than being ignored by the rebellious girl in school. She was enigmatically mysterious. But he could never understand why. Her smile didn’t fade away from his mind. He could never fully understand why – he kept pushing her from coming close. Deep down, he knew that he felt a sense of struggle. When she’s far away, it broke a part of him.

“I’ve heard about this beyond perfect girl that you’re after!” Chunji yelled over.

Chunji threw a soda can towards Byunghun, shifting himself comfortably next to the emotionless teenager. The opposite table filled with giggling juniors, casting an outraged glare because of the statement made. Chunji swallowed nervously, lowering his tone of voice. Girls were a little possessive in here.

“Niel has been talking about her list of perfections. What is up with you and secrets?”

Byunghun tilted his head, narrowing a sharp look. Chunji stopped short, blinking his eyes. In that situation, meeting Byunghun’s eyes was unsettling. Byunghun coldly sipped the soda; keeping his head down from answering the latter’s questions. His silver glitter eyes were trying to conceal his inner feelings. Byunghun caught himself blushing on the inside.

“Well, if you’re not telling-“ Chunji smirked. “Niel is working a little harder than you.”

“It’s none of your problem,” Byunghun said. “Niel’s whacked. He just met her this morning and he is all over that - girl. Park In-Na’s just a girl.”

Chunji’s lips stitched into a small grin. “So, this Park In-Na, she’s just a girl?”

Byunghun hesitated, unnaturally raising his voice in the middle of the cafeteria. “Yeah, and she’s a tangled mess.”

“Tangled mess? You seemed to have gotten close with her to know that she’s wrapped by her own problems,” Chunji replied wittily, smirking as he spoke.

Byunghun pulled the sleeves of his school's blazer, trying to distract himself. His cheeks reddened seeing that Chunji has successfully trapped him.

“Bad boy, you like her, don’t you?” Chunji smirked. Byunghun stood up from his seat, refusing to speak. Chunji was mortified, having to be left alone at the table. The girls were starting to crowd themselves around Chunji, ready to fight for the vacant seat. Chunji’s smile crinkled into a panic expression.

“Not cool, Lee Byunghun!” Chunji yelled, finding his way out of the sudden chaos. He was little short of breath.

Byunghun returned a boyish smirk, thinking of ways to confirm the matters of the heart.

 


 

“Are you mad at me?” Byunghun met Park In-Na on the way to the lockers. In-Na stepped back, a little blurred on the edges, undeniably surprised. She has a red sweater and her hair has been neatly tied into a sleek ponytail.

“Do you always do this?” In-Na snarled, straightening herself.

“Do what?” Byunghun gave a blank look, putting his books into the lockers.

“Appear out of nowhere and ask such ridiculous questions?”

“Why do we always meet like this?” he said.

“I don’t know,” In-Na shrugged. “Probably this ty thing called fate.”

“So, are you mad at me?” Byunghun slipped his lockers’ keys into his school pockets, charming her with the smallest of his grin. He knew that her patience was wearing thin despite the smooth start to their conversation.

“What’s with the question?” In-Na remarked.

“You didn’t talk to me.” Byunghun came close, finding her eyes. “This morning. You ignored me.”

“I don’t think anyone else deserves pain,” In-Na surprised him with a small smile. Byunghun was taken aback. “How’s the cut, pretty boy? Is it healing?”

Byunghun nodded, not hiding his heart. “Thanks to you.”

 


 

“If there’s anything that you would like to do, what is it?” In-Na asked amidst the beautiful view of Downtown Street. There was a small taste of quiet, once in a while.

“At least be good at something,” Byunghun said without hesitating. His thoughts were his own.

“You’re good at something,” In-Na pointed out casually.

“What?” Byunghun chuckled. “If there’s anything that I am good at – I would have-“

“Boasted about it?” In-Na cut him midway.

“Hey!”

In-Na laughed freely. “The girls in school are charmed by your looks.”

“I’ve excellent genes,” Byunghun boasted. His eyes twinkled in amusement. In-Na gave a subtle eye-roll before bursting into jovial laughter.

They have both sneaked into a construction site that overlooked the pleasant scenery. Signs with no trespassing notices were everywhere. Wooden crates stacked by the brick wall. Punctured tires. Broken things surrounded them.

In-Na rummaged through the wooden crates, reaching in for a certain valuable. Not that there was a chance of finding a treasure in a construction site. Her locks fell over her right eye, covering her magnificent eyes. She arched her brows, challenged to find something.

“Be careful,” Byunghun raised a brow, looking at her. “What are you expecting to find?”

“Stuff.”

“Stuff to be good at?”

In-Na flipped her hair to the side, nodding her head.

“Will this do?” Byunghun found an old skateboard hidden among the crates. She reached out her hands and touched them, taking it away from his grasp. He watched her entirely, delighted to see a smile on her usually – expressionless face.

“You’re good at this, pretty boy?”

“It’s the thing that keeps me together.”

"Teach me?"

"Call me sweetheart and I'll do it," Byunghun sneakily took it away from her.

"Sweetheart?" In-Na blinked, dumbfounded.

"There you go."

"W-what! Come here!"