L.Joe: xiii

Lost Dreamers

C.A.P looked more than horrified, spitting out the spaghetti in his mouth, a strand dangling free. Changjo and Ricky have the same reaction. Their eyes widened in size, leaning back in their seats, trying their utmost best from shivering in plain disgust or from the excessive need to cringe in shame. They couldn't believe that Byunghun had said that. The merciless underground gangster boy said that. Chunji dropped the spoon in his hand, followed by a questioning look.

Niel looked surprised, but he felt the need to intrude or clear things up because first, Park In-Na was standing by their table in the school’s cafeteria, frozen with her eyelids partially shut, a tray with chicken porridge and lemonade in hand. Secondly, Byunghun had a look of victory on his face. It was like he had just won the lottery. Byunghun smirked a little, internally convinced that she hadn’t expected that from him. Thirdly, Kim Jae Rin and her posse were glaring from the table nearby, two tables away, trying to make some sense out of the situation. They didn’t hear what Byunghun has uttered but it could be by how, Park In-Na, the school’s naughtiest girl, or better at being termed – the walking dirt, was in contact with the school’s heartthrob. Jae Rin fumed because Byunghun was actually talking to the walking dirt.

“Do you want to sit with us?” Niel cleared his throat, locking eyes with In-Na. There was an unsettling tone in his voice, maybe a little nervous, careful to not gather in extra attention. People were still staring, and there were varied expressions of discontentment. Girls looked at their lunch table, wondering why Teen Top was talking to In-Na.

Byunghun’s eyes followed to where she sat. In-Na took the seat opposite of Byunghun, not replying to what he has said. She settled down, avoiding Byunghun’s gaze because there was cheekiness, and as always, a layer of mystery in between.

“What’s their problem? What-the-. What are they staring at?” Niel muttered under his breath. He looked over to Kim Jae Rin’s table and his face erupted in disgust.

Changjo grinned, looking over to In-Na. “They’re probably jealous of you.”

“They’re not.” In-Na finally spoke, glaring back at Jae Rin. She avoided it, returning her attention to her posse, muttering something, displeased. “Cause you are all new here. You don’t know about us or me. But between the students in Seoul High, they know that Jae Rin and I, we’ve a lot of disagreement. Students here – they don’t like me.”

“What do you disagree with?” C.A.P asked out of curiosity.

“I’d think that we’re worlds apart,” In-Na subtly rolled her eyes. Byunghun listened close. “I’m not well off as you might think I am. Jae Rin’s the daughter of the headmaster here.” She paused and laughed at her own inside joke. “I get into trouble often in here. It’s nothing surprising. Basically, seeing me here, sitting in the cafeteria by itself is a ing joke to most of them.”

“I don’t appear for classes and lunch half of the time,” In-Na stated, smiling a little but underneath that smile, one could say that her heart, there were wounds and scars. “If anyone even bother to take notice.”

Chunji nodded, adding in. “I do. I think we all do. How do you even do that? Not appearing for classes and getting away with it. I mean, really, we’re freaking good in that but Seoul High…Seoul High, it is kind of intoxicating with it being a top-rank school.”

“Detention,” In-Na grinned. “I make it through the day just like anyone else but I’m Park In-Na and I have my ways. I don’t know about you guys, but it has been great talking and sitting down with you. But I’ve got to go-” She managed to finish her food, and Teen Top had no idea how she was able to multi-task, talking and eating at the same time. Byunghun found it upsetting that he hadn’t been able to fully engage himself in the conversation.

“Where are you going?” Byunghun blurted out, annoyed. His words came off liberal, too honest and straightforward.

“Yeah, where are you going, sweetheart?” Niel said.

“What?” In-Na darted a glare.

"What?” Teen Top yelled out in unison, staring at Niel, mentally stabbing him through their eyes. If looks could kill, Byunghun was the sharpest, the deadliest.

“Sweetheart,” Niel repeated, obviously trying to annoy Byunghun to the bones.

Byunghun kicked back from underneath the table, in retort.

 


 

“They say - fall seven times, stand eight...” In-Na muttered, brushing off the cigarette ashes with her left hand. She sat cross-legged, smoking to her own will, to her own pleasure, watching Teen Top who was at the school’s rooftop, secluded and out of bounds to all students. They were skateboarding in between the school’s curriculum. After lunch, they made up their minds to skip the remaining classes.

Byunghun saw raw beauty for a second. In-Na was smiling, her hand wrapped around the burning stick. She looked alive. There was something deeply satisfying about how she was hiding in the school’s rooftop, retreating from the world. Relished in this comfort zone of being ignorant – a sort of distance made from the rest of the world and her. Byunghun held tight to his skateboard, did a kick flip and sat next to her.

“Do you always do this?” Byunghun asked, grabbing the cigarette from In-Na to which he hurled it to a distance, stepping it nonchalantly.

“Hey!” In-Na yelled. “The , pretty boy!”

“You really need to learn your place,” Byunghun argued. “You’re making everything so obvious.” He didn’t want them to be caught. It was so strange how he could be so protective but ironically, he supported her actions at the same time.

C.A.P intruded, halting in front of her with his board. “In-Na, I get why you’re worlds apart from the others here.”

“We’re disappointed. We’re disillusioned by the expectations in the world. In this society. We don't belong here and you know it!” Byunghun gritted his teeth, meaning every word he said. “You can smoke for countless , but do me a favor, In-Na. You can smoke like this at our penthouse or near ed up alleys. Just not here.”

“Okay.” In-Na nodded, making a promise with the rest of Teen Top. She thought she had lost her mind, and that she has succumbed to their requirements. “So, do you have a name for your group or something?”

“What?” Byunghun stared back like it was a ridiculous question being posed. Byunghun hoped that nobody would be stupid to spill their identity right there. It wasn’t the right time. Silence lingered and the others spent by avoiding glances, or by fixing their nervous faces. Ricky was about to say something, to mention about Teen Top being their group’s identity before C.A.P grabbed his skateboard, violently hurling it over to his legs.

“Ouch!” Ricky screamed, rubbing his legs. “What was that for?”

Changjo hissed at Ricky’s obliviousness. Filtering the awkward air, Changjo finally spoke. “Why the question?”

“Nothing. Just curious.” In-Na said, maybe trying to read through their body language. She stared at them with a hardened face, carved from solid stone.

"Do you have a name for us then?" Ricky joked.

In-Na laughed. "I'll think of something."

Byunghun found himself trying too hard to not be truthful. It was like a personal vow to never speak of their delinquent act behind the streets. If not for the fact that he was truly guaranteed that the girl before him was in fact, G-Dragon’s cousin, whom he was skeptical, but a part of him was confident in, he would have been more open towards Park In-Na. Just a little more. Park In-Na will know one day. Byunghun didn’t want to lie anymore.

An electric guitar ringtone emerged out of nowhere. Teen Top shook in surprise.

“Oops, sorry!” In-Na said, slipping a hand into her leather satchel, pulling out her smartphone. “That would be mine.”

Byunghun gave a nod and his eyes carefully watched his other members. C.A.P wore a look of relief. It was as though they were not permitted to show emotion or acknowledge anything because earlier on, that was a close call. Their identity was close to be exposed. Teen Top mingled around the rooftop, deciding if they should continue making a ruckus or converse in silence. Eventually, they sat cross-legged, waiting for her to pick up the phone-call, half-listening in.

In-Na eventually did pick up her call. She sounded more than esctatic, practically screaming over the phone, with whoever that was on the other end.

“Ji, you’re coming to town?” In-Na’s lips curved into a smirk. “Tomorrow night? The usual place?  I can't wait." She paused, cupping her phone close. "Oh and about the boys...uhuh." Byunghun wanted to know what the hell she was talking about and speaking to. "You better keep your promise, Ji."

Who was Ji?