L.Joe: ii

Lost Dreamers

The late afternoon shone through the textured blinds in the classroom. The last school bell rang, tempting him to get out from his seat and run from the eagle-eyed girls. Students tried to welcome him; girls lingered around as they tried to break through his mask. Byunghun stayed hidden behind the thick front he wore, simply refused to open up to his classmates. His heart wasn’t willing to do so.

The place, it was suffocating for him.

“Where are you heading to?”

"Hey you."

The same girl who had been stealing glances in homeroom, spoke, curling a strand of hair behind her ears. Byunghun composed himself, storming that rage away within the walls of his heart. He kicked his table aside, making space to move for she had cornered him, along with two of her sidekicks. Her words fell upon deaf ears. Byunghun’s lips remained locked, drawing distance, walking out of the classroom’s door.

She didn’t like his attitude, however nothing else matters because she gets what she wants. She always does. The girl was Kim Jae Rin. The headmaster’s daughter: the school’s ballerina. Rightfully known to be the one with the first class ticket to achieving the best grades. The prettiest girls followed and idolized her. Boys were hypnotized by her beauty, willing to do anything to stay close. Never once has one walked away. To be turned down by the new student inked rage and humiliation, making this the first. Her first humiliation.

“I’m talking to you!” She raised her tone, swaying her hips towards Byunghun. “Hey Lee Byunghun, I’m talking to you. Do you hear me?”

He stopped walking, waiting for her to speak up. As much as he wanted to leave, she hadn't stopped bugging him. The lockers. Lunch hall. Darting glances. Smirking in self-content. Sneaking in several heart origamis into his bag. She had offered him to go out for an after school date. In any scenario that she had dreamed up of, Byunghun didn’t want to be a part of it. She placed a hand on his shoulders, begging him to take notice. He pried her fragile hand off, unclenching his fist.

“What?” Byunghun responded coldly. “What do you want?”

She felt her breathing hitched, painstakingly replying. “You. Don’t you have any interest in me?”

“Should I?”

“Why shouldn’t you?” she smiled, her hand grasping Byunghun’s unoccupied wrist.

“What are you?” Byunghun hissed, dreading to force violence. He wanted to get out of this damn place. The expression he wore didn’t hide his feelings.

“What am I?” She pushed up his chin, making his eyes meet hers. “I’m Jae Rin. Kim Jae Rin. And - I like you. A lot.”

 



“Move the away, lovebirds. Public display of affection, I see.”

Byunghun sensed a silhouette, hovering the entrance. Byunghun restrained himself from spouting profanities at the intruder. Jae Rin moved back, grunting, removing her hand from Byunghun’s chin. Slightly thankful that the person had came by to rescue, he lighted up his purpose of scurrying back to the back alleys. Away from these – raging hormones.

“A new one, prancing ballerina?”

“You’re in deep trouble, Park In-Na,” Jae Rin snarled, wailing in hatred. She opened her fist, turning her attention to the intruder. Byunghun’s savior. “What are you doing here? Class ended.”

Byunghun glimpsed over, finding his heart racing at the sight. His eyes, almost instantly, directly casted itself to In-Na. Her hair tied into a messy bun, framing her facial features. Before he knew, his heart broke into a rapid rate, ready to put one step ahead and clear the misunderstanding.

In-Na moved forward, ignoring both of their presence. “It’s a free world. I’m back to get my books. Carry on. Carry on with whatever you’re doing.”

“There isn’t a purpose for you to get back in here, walking dirt,” Jae Rin said, sashaying back to her desk. “Ssem isn’t happy with you. I’m not happy with you. Oh right-“ She slight paused, chuckling. “Nobody likes you in here, Park In-Na. You’ve nobody to fight for you. No friends. No one by your side. Nothing. Hopeless.”

In-Na smirked, grabbing her stitched-bind book underneath the table next to Byunghun’s. “Well, that’s really interesting. Carry on Kim Jae Rin. I’m listening...intently.”

“Y-You!” Jae Rin snapped, pulling her two sidekicks to get out of the classroom. “Come on girls, lets go! We’ve ballet to work on.”

Byunghun snickered at her counter-attack, amazed. “In-Na, hurry up.” Byunghun said, loud enough for Jae Rin and the two ballerinas to listen. “We’re running late.”

In-Na checked his eyes, dumbfounded by his words. He returned a small grin, urging her to move.

“What are you – with that walking dirt?” Jae Rin turned her back, wide-eyed. In-Na remained nonchalant, not afraid to lose Byunghun’s trust.

“There isn’t a need for you to know.” Byunghun said, grabbing In-Na by the arm, smirking in delight.


 


 

“Why weren’t you in class?” Byunghun asked, realizing that they were both walking side-by-side, unsure of their direction. Maybe, he was the only one who was walking aimlessly. In-Na didn't seem bothered. He ran out of patience to remain silent. She was a mystery. A book: seemingly waiting to be read.

She threw his question away, pulling out a box of cigarette from her satchel. He stared, finding the stars in his head forming constellations. She continued smoking, carrying her feet to an unfamiliar street.

“One,” Byunghun demanded. “Give me a stick.”

“You’re ruined too, pretty boy?” In-Na wisely said. She looked to see Byunghun, eyes looking exasperated, trying to read through.

“Lost,” Byunghun said. “I’m a lost dreamer.”

"What was that for back there?"

"Saving you," Byunghun lighted his cigarette. "Atleast, I think, you needed it."


 




“10pm. The usual place.”

In a crowd full of strangers, Byunghun lifted up his black hoodie, walking into the back-alleys. He outlined his cheeks, swiping his fingers against the skin for traces of blood. The city lights made him feel distant and safe. He wanted to be far from home.

“Useless punk. All you do is to leech off money from me. You stole the money, didn’t you? Who else would do it?”

“I didn’t.”

“Then, who the hell did it?”


“It wasn’t me.”

“ off. Get out. Just get out!”

Byunghun recalled the slap, blood rushing fast to his head. His visions washed away, pulling himself together. He proceeded to the line of secluded houses: the cracked pavements and empty roads replaced the busy streets, previously covered with dazzling neon lights. Shattered glass bottles in every corner. Second-hand cars and motorbikes parked along the pavements. Cigarette butts were misaligned all over the ground.

He found his group of friends standing at the end of the alley.

“L.Joe, my man, you’re here!”

“Oh holy crap. What happened to you?”

“Damn.”

C.A.P slung an arm around his neck, pushing Byunghun’s bruised left cheek inwards with his free hand. The rest of Teen Top chuckled, laughter fading into the background. Byunghun didn’t want them to sympathize him. He hated the look in his gang members’ eyes. Those eyes, softly trying to make it all fall in place. Those eyes, trying to fix the wounds he felt.

Byunghun gave a thwack on C.A.P’s hand, finishing off his counter attack with a piercing stare. He straightened his hoodie, avoiding the puzzled looks stamped amongst them. Underneath the layer, he tried to hide the pain emitted from the bruise. Teen Top were used to the injuries that appears now and then against Byunghun’s skin. Niel smirked, breaking the cold silence. Rather than throwing Byunghun with questions that will remain unanswered, his gang members decided to change the subject.

They were all young and innocent, this time however, they were cladded with black fabric masks over their mouth. Byunghun listened attentively, adjusting his mask, shattering the pain from his uncle’s beating. L.Joe – Seoul’s Underground Gang Member appeared for the night. Fearless. Merciless. His eyes reflected no emotions. Fighting in the streets became the norm for him. Territories. Fighting over space and occasionally, easy access to what every single one of them lacked.

Money. Superiority.

Diamonds attacked Changjo this evening. Our guy’s ing injured.” Niel hissed, clinging to the motorbike’s keys.

Chunji cracked his knuckles, blowing warm air in between. “They didn’t learn their lesson.”

“Diamonds stole two territories from us. They wanted to take all of our possessions along Street 60,” C.AP said, straightening his mask. “Those rich bastards are coming back for more.”

“Why did they pick on Changjo?” Byunghun asked, reaching out for his weapon. “Why didn’t Diamonds look for C.A.P or me? Didn’t they insist in beating the crap out of us the other time?”

“Their leader aimed for the youngest. Shows how incompetent they are. Impaired, I must add.”

Niel snidely rolled his eyes, distributing the remaining motorbike keys to the members of Teen Top. “I’m honestly sick of this.”

“Like I’ve chosen this path on my own accord,” Chunji glared back, firing up the engine of his bike.

Byunghun could see from s’ glazed looks that they were all burning in rage. The need to fight for their injured gang member. Byunghun detested it. Byunghun loathed the idea of picking up fights among the streets, but this however, formed a part of his happiness. In all different ways, the members of Teen Top wanted this to end. Somehow, at this precise moment, there was no end to this. They weren't stopping. Not anytime soon.

“Where are they?” Byunghun questioned, keeping the sharp blades at the back pocket of his washed-out jeans. His eyes were dark. His thoughts were settled in hurting the people who hurt the ones, closest to his heart. “Lets just get this done and over with. I don’t have all night to spend. Filthy bastards.”

That night. 

Their bodies were mauled and torn. Byunghun and C.A.P finished off the intense fight; each earning bloodied chin and flesh. The members of Diamonds, wrapped with bruises, left lying on the cracked pavements. Byunghun threw in punches without mercy. His enemy's voice turned faint in every touch. Blood splattered. Bones twisted. He didn't care about Diamonds' fate. There lies nothing in between. His heart held black emptiness. His mind turned vacant, complementing the state of his heart, continuously did he create bruises on his enemy’s skin. The bruises he created were his expression. Not something to define his identity.

Teen Top won the fight.

It was all that matters.

 


 

He took in the last puff of cigarette for the night, walking about the roads with dried lips, stained with blood. He wasn’t able to return home in that state. His vision blurred, crossing the streets without looking right and left. The pain from the fight started to kick in.

“In-Na?” Byunghun said, noticing the familiar figure. “What the hell is she doing here?” He moved forward, catching up to her. She adorned a sweatshirt, matched with black jeans. Her hands weren't free, with two bowls of ramen in her grasp. Byunghun matched up to her speed, crossing the road without much thoughts. He didn't exactly know what he was doing. It wasn't his usual - actions to give a care about someone whom he has just met.

"Hey, Park In-Na!" Byunghun yelled over. His thoughts waddled, hoping that he wasn't mistaken. He released hard uneven breathings having to catch up to her.

"Pretty boy, what the hell are you doing here?"

"Seriously! What the hell are you doing here?" she blinked, looking unexpectedly surprised. "Goodness, are you bleeding, Lee Byunghun?"

"I'm fine," Byunghun shrugged, turning his head to the side. He stepped forward, gaining his cool. "Just what are you doing at this hour?" He did a quick glance over to the two bowls of takeaway ramen in her hand. "Supper in the streets? At this timing?"

"What's your problem?" she snapped back, patience wearing thin. "You're not fine. I'm not blind, pretty boy. Dried lips. That red thing - it couldn't possibly be lipstick can't it?" She half-paused, peering through, smirking. "Or is it?"

"Stay away from the streets," Byunghun changed the subject. "It's not safe here."

In-Na rolled her eyes, walking away from Byunghun. "You're bleeding. What's the point of advising me when you can't take care of yourself, big boy?"

"Don't we have school tomorrow?" Byunghun pitifully asked, straying from the main subject. His heart tightened. "You shouldn't be out this late. You have to be safe."

"Are you hungry?" In-Na swiftly changed the subject, lips perking into a small grin.

"What?" Byunghun asked, puzzled.

"I said...are you hungry?" In-Na muttered, staring back with bloodshot eyes. "If you don't mind these babies." She brought up the ramen bowls to level with his eyes. "I stole these leftovers from the ramen store down the road."