L.Joe: iii

Lost Dreamers

Byunghun felt burdened. In-Na dragged an old carton box found by the roadside, setting the two ramen bowls at the top. Byunghun stood at the edge of the sidewalk, growing a little flustered by her actions. He wasn’t ashamed to sit by the road and have a simple meal. He was shy to be spending nights like this with such a mysterious girl. His heart was creating fireworks, bursting with emotions. He glanced in her direction, not knowing why she was willing to be his friend. He couldn’t pinpoint a reason to why he has even acknowledged her in the streets. It was unlike him.

“Hey, come on! Have a seat, pretty boy!” In-Na said, waving her hand to attract his attention. She tore open the plastic wrapper containing the pair of chopsticks, preparing it for him. “The ramen will not taste as good if it’s cold.” Her lips curled into a sincere smile, definitely tugging the corners of his heartstrings.

Byunghun sat by the roadside, taking the chopsticks from her. “You came prepared.” He was referring to the stolen takeaway utensils. Out of the corner of his eyes, he caught her inadvertent grin while she drew the chopsticks close to .

“Of course,” she said, tucking in. “It’s not my first time. There’s nothing to boast or shove down your throat about the interesting things I've done in life but yes, pretty boy, I’ve the experience.” In-Na bit her lip, looking oddly upset. Something nudged Byunghun’s mind. Something cut through it, telling him that he wasn’t alone. He wasn’t insane. He wasn’t in a mess. That night, he didn’t feel – alone.

“How long have you been living like this?” Byunghun asked, claiming his voice.

She sipped, taking a few strands of her ramen. He realized that she wasn’t sitting straight any longer. Her shoulders were heavily dropping. Those bloodshot eyes, now painted with black and white. Signs of sadness. Signs of giving up. There were visible scars in her eyes. She was trying to cover up with the monotony in her expression.

“For as long as I can remember,” she managed to say.

“Will you,” he stumbled. “Will you be alright, Park In-Na?”

“How about you? Will you be alright, Lee Byunghun?” she said calmly, however Byunghun knew that she was gazing at him with those piercing eyes. The night, mingled with hazed air, ruptured sidewalks and tangled two hearts, lost in the streets.

“Maybe.”

“Maybe, too,” she stated, grinning. “I’ll be alright. You will be alright.”

Byunghun returned a look, finding himself smiling. “Tonight, we will talk for hours.”

She crinkled her nose, setting her chopsticks down. “We’ve school tomorrow. And what gives you the idea that I will be out all night?”

Byunghun chuckled, shifting a grin in between his lips. The light in his eyes became imminent. “Since you have the courage to be walking around one of the dangerous streets in Seoul, I believe, you will not have a problem of staying out late.”

“Not with you!” she snapped, raking her hair in frustration. “Don’t misunderstand, pretty boy. You were bleeding or that you might have lost your way around here. I was just being - considerate. Like any human should do or act around injured people. I'm civilized.”

“You didn’t help me with the wound.” Byunghun dramatically shoved the cuts and bruises directly under her nose. “You offered me – stolen food.”

“Get the out, pretty boy,” In-Na burst out, hitting the carton box. He was lucky that he was done with his food or that his meal would have gone to waste. The ramen bowls tilted to the side, spilling out the leftover soup. She held on to her chopsticks, grabbing it with strength. By the sight of it, she would be able to break it into pieces. Stolen food or not, it gave him the strength for the night. Her companion was comforting, so to say.

“Were you being considerate-“ Byunghun stopped midway, holding his breath for a few seconds before continuing. Their eyes met and his attention was now directed to her eyes. They were big and beautiful. “Or that-“

Her breathing hitched as she began snapping right after. “Or that, what?”

He stifled a laugh, pretending to not acknowledge the curiosity in her tone. She pressed her hand to her face, muttering under her breath. The expression on her face was either that it was embellished with a look of annoyance or that she was defeated. He continued to observe, mesmerized by her sudden change in personality.

“Or what?” she repeated herself, curling up her fist.

“Nothing,” Byunghun smiled, hiding his thoughts. “Thank you for the meal, Park In-Na.”


 


 

“What do you want to talk about?” In-Na skipped the question, realizing that Byunghun was being a tease. After the meal, they were walking aimlessly by the roadside. Ten minutes passed with loose silence. Byunghun wanted to break the walls that she had built around her. Possibly, she was doing the same. She was trying. Byunghun saw a flicker of hope in this – friendship. Or what made it to be.

“Anything?” Byunghun suggested.

She raised a brow. An expectant frown fell on her face. “I don’t trust that you would want to talk about anything.” She was referring to the cuts and bruises stamped to his skin. The stained lips. The denial that lingered in his voice.

“Don’t you want to know why I was hanging around here?” Byunghun spoke in the sudden dead air. Byunghun dove his fingers into his hoodie’s pockets, standing next to In-Na as they walked. In-Na tilted her head to the side, in her cheeks inwards. Her cheekbones were slightly showing as she nodded her head.

“Tell me when you’re ready,” In-Na softly said. “Don’t need to be comfortable around me when you’re not ready to open up, Lee Byunghun.” She blinked, burying into her jeans pockets, sliding a bottle of ointment at the palm of his hand. “Have a good night, friend.”

He clenched the ointment close, casting a hopeful reflection. In-Na walked away from him, saluting from the other side of the road. She turned around quickly with a cigarette in .

“Good night,” Byunghun whispered, feeling warmth spreading all over his body. He tapped the ointment bottle, keeping it safe. It was a good night.