L.Joe: vii

Lost Dreamers

The morning air smelled like trouble for some reason to Byunghun. He pondered about broken homes. He thought about the bruises stamped to the outlines of his skin. Bruises that were not healed. He was holding still even when things were moving in all directions. It was a little different today. The penthouse, Teen Top’s hidden territory - surprisingly, overwhelmed with the scent of fresh cooked bacon and toast. He picked up his school uniform, drifting his way to the penthouse’s kitchen.

“Are you excited?” Ricky appeared from the back, wrapping a hand around Byunghun’s neck. “Teen Top is reunited again!”

“I thought April Fools was long over,” Byunghun snidely remarked, grabbing the toast and checking the state of the living room. His eyes lingered to the empty kitchen, avoiding Ricky who has been jumping on his feet, professing the things he would like to do or see in Seoul High.

“It’s not a joke,” Ricky defended, tugging on to Byunghun’s hand. “We’re coming to school. With you.”

“I would rather get kicked in the -“ Byunghun choked on the piece of bacon, finding four distinctive figures, emerged from the living room, dressed in a similar school uniform. Black blazer, white inner long sleeve and neat tailored black pants. Along to go were their school's nametags attached to the uniforms. Byunghun squinted his eyes, finding the situation to be beyond absurd. Just the night before, he had thought that Niel was pulling his leg.

“What-are-you?” Byunghun said, horrified, catching on to the faces of his gang members.

“A very proud dad." C.A.P replied, flicking his hair. “My boys will be enrolled into the best institution in South Korea. We will be safe from Diamonds’ prying eyes. Considered to be the best plan that I have ever thought of. Besides, we’re a team. Brotherhood. We are one. We suffer-" C.A.P went up to Byunghun, his fingertips shaped to a form of a fist, nudging Byunghun’s shoulder blade. “Together!”

“We will turn stupid if we were to stay around the penthouse every single time,” Niel complained, fixing the tie around his neck. “Get this thing running-“ He did a dramatic point to his head. “We’ll turn mentally deficient even before C.A.P wakes up from his beauty slumber.”

“And you, man.” C.A.P attempted to kick Niel’s leg in which he has successfully dodged. “Easy!” Niel snickered. Changjo and Ricky burst out into a heap of laughter, unfocused with their sole intention of preparing for school.

“L.Joe, what time does class starts?” Chunji frowned, checking his reflection against the living room’s main mirror. “It’s starting in about a half hour’s time, doesn’t it?”

Byunghun returned a grin. “Don’t worry. There are others that comes in fashionably late.”

 



Byunghun should have made it clear that Seoul High catered itself for the upper class. He realized that having his gang members in the same school, could possibly work things out. Or it would not. Niel’s brilliant plan was to park their stolen motorbikes behind the building that was not far off from their school. Byunghun swore that their strategies, especially as this, pull nothing but trouble close to them.

“What a smart idea,” Byunghun said, half-swearing inside his heart. “Riding our stolen motorbikes to school. Look at it. There’s nothing suspicious about a group of teenagers with faces like this, being legal enough to ride. There’s nothing suspicious about our appearance. It’s perfectly fine to park these expensive motorbikes near to the school’s main ground. Oh wow. Convincing. Brilliant. Darn brilliant."

“You’re such an , I hate you!” Niel muttered.

“Air-head.”

“Dweeb.”

“ off.”

 


 

All that could be heard were loud voices, shouting and wailing. Byunghun couldn’t stop the commotion made by the rowdy bunch of boys. As much as he wanted to deny the horrible truth, the annoyance were his group of friends. The watch strapped to his wrist showed that they were late. The pavement, leading to the tall-wired wall covered with gravel and pebbles, possibly making their entrance to school – an extra challenge. A faint emotion of worry grew, evident by the dark glint in Byunghun’s eyes.

“Is this the only way in?” Ricky shivered in his spot, outraged by the plan. “Why can’t we just walk in by the main entrance?”

“Yeah, genius. We should use the main door. There’s nothing to be afraid,” Niel snidely replied, scoffing in response. The members of Teen Top touched the metal wire, obvious discontentment found on all of their faces.

C.A.P looked around, checking the space. A mischievous smile appeared on his face seeing that the security guard was nowhere at the front. He raised a hand, prompting the others to follow his way. Byunghun realized the situation, pulling Niel to the back, reprimanding.

“What the hell are you doing? The coast is clear! What are you waiting for?” C.A.P yelled from the other side, alerting Byunghun who has pulled Niel from moving towards their direction. Changjo, C.A.P, Chunji and Ricky have successfully crossed into the school’s building. They have disappeared into the shadows, meanwhile, Byunghun was out in the open – ready to be caught by the disciplinary.

Niel turned around, noticing that the security guard was back at the spot. They have no other option but to go by Byunghun’s outrageous entrance. The boys scurried off, searching for a spot to strategize and make plans on going into their respective classes without the extra – attention and drama.

“It’s your fault!” Niel hissed. He couldn’t help but kick the gravels on the pavement, controlling the back of his throat that has slowly filled itself with yelling words. Unpleasant, cursed words. He moved back, annoyed, and went around the area in circles – thinking that they have just missed the only way into the school building.

“We can climb this wired wall!” Byunghun barked. His fingertips were carefully attached to the wired wall, however, he felt a little frayed at the edges. Niel widened his eyes, drifting from the plan. Niel would rather be caught by the disciplinary than to use extra effort for a plan nothing more than ridiculous.

“Look, L.Joe. It’s either that you’re a little loose around the edge or the bottle yesterday had a full effect on you. You’re drunk. Get a grip. We will find another way in. What human could possibly climb this insane wall?” Niel remarked in a sarcastic tone, slinging his school bag to the left and right. Enraged, he swung it to the back, earning himself an immediate reaction. A growling voice. From the back. Niel’s heart dropped, picking up his lungs to start breathing before making a full turn to the voice. The voice wasn’t coated with a warm welcome. It was straight out – defiance.

“Watch it!”

Niel turned around with his fist wrapped, ready to enforce violence. “Says-“ His jaw dropped, astounded by the figure that emerged from the back. “A girl?”

Byunghun turned his attention to the owner of the voice. Park In-Na's eyes met him, and her reaction surprised him. The look on her face was stuck in his mind. She slipped away within the second, dangling her feet in between the wired-wall.

“You’re a girl!” Niel said, worried, blinking his eyes in disbelief. “Get down before you hurt yourself.”

“Mind your business!” She shoved words back into Niel’s mouth. He was caught by surprise. He stumbled to the back, not used to have a girl screaming directly into his face. A small grin was painted on Niel’s lips. He shouldn’t be smiling but his lips has crinkled upwards.

“Park In-Na,” Byunghun called out to her. She looked away from him, swiftly climbing over the wall and in that short fraction of time; she has set foot to the other side. “Yah, In-Na!”

“Who is she? How do you know her name?” Niel broke out from his trance, looking at Byunghun with strange eyes.

Byunghun ran a hand through his hair, straining effort by climbing the wired wall regardless of the cuts and bruises on his arms.

“L.Joe, she’s perfect. What is she exactly like? Why did she ignore you? Was that why you wanted to enter the school by that weird pathway?” Niel prompted, catching on his breath. Byunghun shot a deathly look, curving his fist.  He didn’t get why In-Na has ignored him.

“Park In-Na,” Niel muttered. “Park In-Na and Ahn Daniel! Did you see the way she talked to me?”

“ off." Byunghun darted a glare, gritting his teeth. He didn't like the sound of their names combined.