L.Joe: xii

Lost Dreamers

Sometimes, Byunghun didn’t really have a way with words. He was always quiet, always expelling this nonchalant attitude. The phone-call with Park In-Na, there was something about that phone-call that made his heart beat a little faster, a little out of control. He was sitting on the couch, legs crossed, watching Chunji who was playing a video game in the living room. But Byunghun wouldn’t admit it. He wouldn’t admit that the pain of waiting for her arrival, made him feel uneasy. A little impatient. He checked his phone, wondering if he had been dreaming. If he had made that phone-call.

“Is she coming? My sweetheart’s coming?” Niel appeared in the living room, carrying a bunch of soda cans. A look of excitement laced to his face. Chunji looked over to Byunghun. Byunghun displayed a cold demeanor; obviously trying to hide that he was in fact annoyed that Niel had given Park In-Na such a nickname. There was razor poised in Byunghun’s eyes.

“Why did you make her come?” Chunji asked.

“I have my reasons.” Byunghun replied short. His jaws clenched in a way, making him appear unreadable. The other two though, were able to read a part of Byunghun. Byunghun has never invited anyone to the penthouse. The penthouse held too many secrets. And if he were to bring anyone over, it was as though he was ready to break open a guarded secret. Niel smirked, nodding his head in understanding.

“You think she’ll like this place?” Niel spoke excitedly.

“She’ll like the place!” Chunji interrupted.

“I cleaned up the mess you s made!" Byunghun glared. “I warned you earlier didn’t I?” He was working hard and really, it was a puzzle to him. Byunghun hid the weapons, the alcohol bottles, the bags of stolen cash, and cigarette ashtrays - whatever that built their broken home and empty words.

 

 



Byunghun’s heart raced quickly, with feelings he had not realized. She wasn’t appearing and as promised, she was supposed to turn up. For some reason, C.A.P and Changjo decided to order pizza, different flavors; large in size because they have no idea what flavor or size appealed to Park In-Na. Byunghun had no clue. If she was the ham and cheese type? If she liked Hawaiian better? If she liked her pizza with thicker crust? Byunghun took note that this moment of inviting her over was only the beginning of a new friendship. One thing that worried him though, Byunghun started to crave for her scent and the sound of his name on her tongue. It was a dangerous addiction.

The rest had spent their time tidying whatever remains, trying to make something better out of the penthouse. Byunghun rearranged the pillows on the couch, released, picked it up and that cycle repeats itself. His heart became blind. So did his actions.

C.A.P hurled a pillow over to Byunghun. “You’re losing your sanity.”

He was. He really was.

 



Park In-Na didn’t appear and Byunghun had this momentary flush of anger. Teen Top, in fact was surprised that they themselves, went far to prepare so much for her. It dawned on them that she wasn’t just someone to mess with. Apparently, she wasn’t threatened, she wasn’t as easy as the other girls that they have met. There was a taste of relentless silence, spreading around the penthouse. Byunghun knew better than to expect Park In-Na, coming here, hanging with a bunch of guys, and to try to be their friend. His friend. She was unpredictable. He didn’t expect that. He had no clue. It was crazy that he was trying to figure her out. He wasn’t giving up.

“You know, L.Joe, I get why you’re acting strange,” Chunji said, biting off the pizza, which was now cold and previously untouched. “Lately. You’re happy. Then you’re just freaking worked up. Especially around Niel. When he mentions about her being his sweetheart. To which, he was obviously kidding. Or that he was obviously being an arse. And damn, get your together, L.Joe.”

Byunghun traced the outlines of his phone, wondering if he should call. The silence lingered before he replied. “Why is that?”

“Park In-Na,” Chunji convinced. “She keeps you sane.”

Byunghun didn’t reply. He hated to admit it.

“I know you’ll not admit it but somehow, she makes us feel alive again. I mean really, when was the last time we’ve ordered pizza and drink sodas?”

 


 

The world is ed up, that is, to Lee Byunghun.

“Park In-Na!”

“Hey!” Changjo yelled. “Come sit with us.”

Byunghun didn’t know where he should be hiding his face. Teen Top wanted to make the first move and that was it. People in the cafeteria turned to look, and began watching in disbelief. Byunghun undeniably, was shaking on the inside. He was collectively, gathering his cold attitude, seeing Park In-Na who was wearing a look of reticence. She looked over to their table, the lips not carving a smile. Her eyes were cold. Alike to Byunghun. They were too similar. She wouldn’t come, Byunghun thought and solely believed. And there was a reason that made Byunghun crazy. She was walking over to their table. She was unpredictable.

“Hey,” she said. “Hey Byunghun and friends. I'm sorry about yesterday. I had something important. Caught up with something.”

Byunghun knew that she wasn't going to give away so easily.

"I was waiting for you," Byunghun coldly said. "Crazily waiting for you."

He didn't regret saying that.