memory xxi

Hurt Me, My Angel - DISCONTINUED

Amber and Lynn were once again baffled at the amount of letters that appear in Lynn's locker every week. Every Tuesday and Friday's, there will be one new letter for Lynn to appreciate. Fortunately, today was a Tuesday and there was a new hand-written letter dedicated to Lynn.

"Whoever is writing this letter must be for real. I mean he gives you a letter every week and he doesn't get tired of writing them. And they're in cursive too!" Amber continued on her speech. In the midst of Amber's self-conversation, Lynn was smiling like a fool.

"I think it's cute. Whoever this person is, he is really sincere with his feelings and honest." She said, continue with reading the letter.

Hi there, Lynn.

It's me, the person who really likes you ^^ I hope you read these letters because they really mean a lot to me. It's fine if you just skimmed through it, but I just really want to tell you I like you. Unfortunately, I still don't have the courage to tell it to your face. As the days come and go, I've been gathering confidence within myself in hopes that one day, I will be able to confess to you in person. I think confessing through these letters are getting a little dull.

Lynn couldn't contain her laughter, chuckling every so and then.

I really love it when you smile so please, smile for me. You may not know who I am yet because I've never revealed my identity, but please smile for me. Even if I'm not the reason behind that precious smile of yours, just smile. A beautiful girl like you shouldn't cry. You're pretty when you cry, I admit. But you're much more captivating when your lips curve upwards. 

When you do find out who I am, I promise to do anything to make you smile. I'll be sure to make funny faces when you're down, buy you your favourite French vanilla in the cold season when you're freezing, love you more than you love me. I promise that every day when you're with me, I'll be able to put a smile on your face.

I like you, Lynn. I really like you. A lot.

Please smile for me :).

Although the letter was short and contained pretty much the same content, the person behind the letter never failed to make the young girl feel special. Whenever Lynn couldn't sleep on weekdays, she would take out one of the many letters this anonymous sender has secretly placed in her locker, and read them. After reading it so many times, Lynn could almost imagine what her secret admirer felt like when he dedicated his time to patiently handwrite this letter to her in cursive. Not many people write in cursive nowadays and it was rare. 

"His writing is so beautiful." Lynn complimented the writer, forgetting that her best friend was standing beside her.

Amber stopped talking when she realized Lynn wasn't paying attention. Instead of embarrassing herself by conversing with herself and empty air, Amber just stopped talking and peeked over Lynn's shoulder. Lynn had her body angled so that her back was facing Amber. Amber could only manage to read a little bit of the letter's content; she was more intrigued in seeing how delighted her friend was. She rarely saw Lynn smile so carefree, as if nothing was weighing down on her shoulders anymore. 

Amber cleared . "So you're starting to like this person, I see..." She teased.

"I don't like like him 'cause I don't know who he is yet. I wouldn't say I'm starting to like him either because I'm starting to like his handwriting. It's a little weird but true. He writes so beautifully that I can't even use words to describe how I feel about his letters. I'm happy to know that there's someone in this school who doesn't hate me for my bipolar personality. I'm also happy to know that this person is optimistic and courageous. Nowadays when people want to confess, they would either send it through text or online messaging. People don't go old school and write letters to confess anymore. I think that's really sweet of this person to send me letters twice a week. It's very... cute." 

Lynn gently put those letters back into her locker before shutting it closed. Right on cue, Chanyeol and Kai appeared at Lynn's locker. Chanyeol gave his best friend a huge hug, engulfing her small frame in his arms. 

"Chanyeol, you're going to end up suffocating her until. You're hugging her too tight." Kai wasn't pleased with Chanyeol's early morning hugs for Lynn. When the young boy released his best friend from his dangerous hug, Lynn looked at Kai and thanked him, and then gave him a friendly hug.

Chanyeol pouted when he saw Lynn initiating a hug but let it go since he knew Kai's secret. Lynn slung her bag across her shoulder and along with Amber, strode off to their respective classroom. 

In English, Xiumin wouldn't stop pestering Lynn about her and Kai's relationship. "We're just friends." She would reply every time he mentioned her and Kai. "There's nothing going on, I swear." 

Xiumin didn't believe there wasn't anything going on. Kai has been quite suspicious of his actions and treatment towards Lynn lately; Xiumin, Chen, Luhan, and Tao have taken the matter into consideration. They all viewed Lynn as their younger sister and Kai as their brother, and felt that if Lynn were to be with Kai, she wouldn't be so hurt. Xiumin also noticed how Kai would come to school early in the morning. How he knew? Simple. Every morning when Xiumin and Chen went to school, they would see Kai lingering around Lynn's locker. At first, they assumed he was just waiting for his best friend but as each week came and went, they noticed how Kai would stay for a while and then leave the perimeter.

Strange.

"Come on, Lynn. Kai likes you yet you aren't doing anything about it. Do you perhaps not like Kai?"

"I don't mean it like that!" She whispered loudly.

The class was supposed to work independently on their upcoming seminar for Othello and Death of a Salesman, but seeing how loud the class was being during independent work period, Xiumin couldn't help but distract himself and bother Lynn.

"Then what? Are you saying you like Kai?" He further interrogated.

Lynn was silent for a moment, her brain slowly organizing the load of paperwork in her head. She didn't know how to answer Xiumin's question.

"Look here, dumplings. If you like him, then tell him. If you don't, talk to him and clear everything out. You wouldn't want the both of you hurting and you definitely don't want to see Kai in pain. Am I right? Listen, I can tell Kai really treats you as more than a friend but less than a lover. The problem now is how you feel about this whole situation. I know you still like him but let me tell you something, my sweet dumplings. Forget about him. He's with somebody else now and look how happy he is when he's with her. I'm not intentionally adding salt to your wound but you have to listen to me, to all of us, and move on. I don't want Tao and Lay to attack me and the guys if you're ever hurt. I don't want you in pain nor do I want to see Kai in pain. He's like a love sick puppy when it comes to you."

She slowly processed everything Xiumin had told her. It was true about Kai liking her. Even she could feel it, especially when she gave Kai a friendly hug earlier in the morning. The issue with Lynn is that she doesn't know what to do. It's her love life and yet she's indirectly seeking advice from her friends minus Kai.

"I-I don't know what to do, Baozi. He's really sweet and I do like him. But I only see and like him as a friend. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't know what I feel right now. One part of me is telling me to move on and the other me is telling me to wait for fate to play its cards." Her mind was juggling with a jumble of thoughts about Kris, Kai, Tiffany, and the people around her. 

Lynn was in a crisis. She was in a dilemma and didn't know what to do. "My life seems so complicated now that I think about it. Here there are people telling me Kai likes me and even I can feel it when I'm hanging out with him. And then there's Kris to the freaking Wu always invading my personal mind bubble. Then there's this anonymous sender who always send me sweet love letters. I'm so lost and confused, Baozi!" 

Xiumin sighed, listening to Lynn's croaked voice telling her personal love problems to him. He felt special for being able to share advices and stories with each other early in the morning, and he especially felt special to Lynn because he was the only few people in their group of friends whom she expresses her thoughts to. Aside from Xiumin, she would discuss her life problems with Luhan and Chen as well. 

"I'm sorry, dumplings. I can't help you any further. Maybe we do have to let fate play its cards."