memory xvii

Hurt Me, My Angel - DISCONTINUED

Lynn

The next day, I went to school as I normally did. This time, Tao was the one who picked me up and walked to school with me. He dropped me off at my locker and headed to his own. I felt so much better after sleeping for more than eight hours, especially since I've been only getting four or five hours of sleep for the past week. The moment I arrived at my locker, I was jumped. By who?

Amber Josephine Liu

"AMMBERRR, GET OFF OF ME!" She had her arms wrapped tightly around my neck. Man, she was heavier than I expected! "NOW!' 

After much struggling, she finally decided to release me. I am never going to want to face her wrath (yes strangling was a totally different thing) again. It was one of those days where Amber would arrive much earlier than I did. I glanced around the perimeter, wondering where Kai and Chanyeol were. As if she was a psychic, Amber answered all of my unspoken thoughts.

"Kai is asking his teacher for extra help in math and Chanyeol should be arriving late today. I know it's weird that Kai is asking for help from his math teacher. That kid normally doesn't even need help since he is so smart. And Chanyeol texted me saying he woke up late and that if he doesn't make it in time for school, then I need to tell you not to miss him too much. He'll be alive."

I stared at Amber. "You didn't let me talk. And stop reading my mind you crazy woman!" 

"I love you, too, hun." The typical Asian peace sign along with a funny deformed expression crossed Amber's face. It was glowing, literally.

"You are so damn lucky you're my best girlfriend or else I would hate you until the day I die."

"So how are you feeling now?"

"A-may-zing. If I could sleep in for an extra two hours or so every school day, I think I'd be healed in no time." I smiled up at her, doing the Asian peace sign. I think that's almost every Asian girl's signature move. 

"That's great! You know, I visited yesterday but you were asleep. I tried to sneak into your room and hide there so that when you wake up, the first person you see would be me. But stupid Park caught me in my act and locked me out of the house. You know what's worse than being caught and locked out?" I shook my head, the information slowly processing in my head. "Being kicked out of your best friend's house! And the reason was because I was a girl. I mean, it's not like I'm a lesbian or anything! And who was he talking to, huh? He's a freaking BOY for goodness gracious and I'm not allowed staying because I'm a girl? Park Chanyeol has gone too far."

That made no sense whatsoever. But I pretended I could understand how she was feeling at the moment. I was about to reply to Amber but was interrupted by a clearing of somebody's throat. I turned around and saw the person I least expected to visit.

Kris to the freaking Wu.

What was he doing here?! Oh... Right... His locker is only a few lockers away from my very own.

"What?" Amber hissed. Those two were never on good terms with each other. Every time they met, they would bicker and bicker all day long. I remember I think it was in sixth grade when we were hanging out, those two were yelling at each other, and our homeroom teacher instantly assumed they had a thing for each other. It was pretty priceless actually, even though I really liked Kris that time.

"Uh..." He was scratching the nape of his neck, something he does when he's nervous or hesitating in what to say next. "You dropped something."

Amber and I looked at the floor, wondering what that 'something' was. It was a piece of paper, not those normal white blank pieces of paper. On this blue square piece of paper had my name on it and a message written in cursive.

This letter is to be opened by Lynn Li only. I really hope you take the chance to read this letter from me to you.

I bent down and picked it up, mumbling a small thanks to Kris who have walked away and headed to his locker. Amber, being the nosey female friend I have (remember Soojin? We don't talk anymore and haven't spoken a word to each other since the incident. I don't think she's my friend anymore) decided to take the letter out of my hands. 

"Oh la la, Lynnie-boo, you have an admirer!" She teased. I want to hate her for teasing me but I can't. I love my friends too much to actually come to hate them. "What does it say? Can I open it? I want to read it!" 

Face against palm. "Amber, do you not see that this letter is to be opened by me only?" I yanked it out of her hand and leaned against my locker. I always come to school early, so there is a lot of time left until the first bell rings. 

I carefully opened the squared paper and read through the message. Each word was laced with sincerity. 

Hi, Lynn.

I know this might be a little corny, writing a letter to someone that you see on a daily basis. I don't think I have the courage to say these words to your face. I just want to let you know that I'll always be there for you. When you're feeling down, I'll gladly offer my shoulder for you to lean on. When you're crying, I'll be your personal handkerchief. I'll be sure to wipe away those tears of sadness from your beautiful dark brown eyes. I won't ever let a single tear escape from your sockets. I promise to make you smile, and when you do cry, it would be tears of joy. When you're angry, I'll be your personal punch bag. You can punch me, kick me, and hit me for as long as you want. I will always be there when you want to vent out your anger.

As I read each and every word on that piece of paper, I couldn't hide the urge to smile. Whoever this person is, I appreciate their kindness.

Your smile is the most precious thing I've ever seen. Please don't cry anymore. Please don't continue waiting for him anymore. Please move on. I'll always be waiting for you, Lynn. 

I really like you. I don't need an immediate answer from you, but I do hope you can consider me as a suitable boyfriend. I hope I am the one who can wash away all the pain that you've went through. I don't want to see you in a river of salty tears. I don't want to see you sad. I want to see you happy and smiling for me. I don't want to only be a rebound. Don't use me to get over him. It's going to hurt you even more. Please consider my words. 

When you finally like me for who I am, I would like to see that angelic smile on your face. And the reason behind that smile is because of me.

I like you, Lynn Li. And I wish you would like me back.

The letter ended with a final confession. What am I supposed to do? I don't even know who the sender of this letter is. I scanned the paper, both the front and the back. Flipping the letter over to check if there would be some sort of signature or hints as to who sent that letter, I found nothing. Disappointment washed over me. Whoever wrote this letter to me is really sweet and I would like to personally thank him for taking his time to write it by hand. 

Amber took the paper out of my hands and skimmed through the message. "Wow." I'm pretty sure that was the first thing that my mind thought. "That is... something. Man, who sent this?" 

"I don't know. I need to find out." 

"Wait... this person wrote this letter by hand, right?" I nodded. "Then maybe if we look at his handwriting, we could probably try to recognize who it might be."

Oh silly Amber, that probably won't work. The letter was written in cursive in black ink. Whoever wrote this is a genius. A majority of the students either write sloppily or they don't write at all. For those who do write down notes, I've seen some of their handwritings and none of them (they were mostly guys sitting beside or near me) wrote in cursive. 

"Amber, there's a dozen of guys in this school - freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior grades. How are you so sure we can do that?" I'm sorry, Amber. I just had to burst your bubble. Forgive me.

"That's so true. Never mind my idea. Do you know anyone that writes in cursive?" It took me a while to sort through who I know writes in cursive. So far, I know nobody. 

I shook my head.

"Darn it. This guy is good."


author's note; Let's play another guessing game (this one is a little bit obvious though)... WHO IS THIS ANONYMOUS SENDER!? Take your guesses down below! =)