Confession

Kosher

Kyuhyun didn’t say a word when they had arrived outside Joohyun’s home. The fact his friend had not been honest with him was starting to gnaw away inside.


Changmin couldn’t bear the silence any longer. “Kyuhyun, I’m sorry.”

His friend appeared to not believe that. “How do I know? You’re happy to hide something that affects Joohyun’s safety from me so what else are you not telling me?!”


Changmin let out a groan. “Ok; stop with the love of your life mumbo jumbo.”

“What are you implying Changmin?!”

“Does she even like you?! Has she told you how she feels? How about when are you going to fess up lover boy?!”

Kyuhyun grabbed Changmin’s shirt holding his face close to Changmin’s. “Don’t push me. I’m this close to ripping out your heart!”

“Hey look!” Changmin pointed to the house. A figure walked around to the front gate. He was hidden by hedging from those inside the building but the pair could see him. Joohyun and Minyoung seemed to be happily doing their own thing, unaware of the potential danger.

With his eyes fixed solely on the threat Kyuhyun began down the slope they were on. “Wait Kyuhyun.” Changmin hissed. “He could be prepared for an ambush. Wait and see what he does.”

However Kibum proved to be harmless. He went through the gate, to the door but walked back swiftly. Without a sound he departed in a flash, not seen.


From the back Kyuhyun appeared to relax. But the moment he rotated to face Changmin it was another story.
“Do you realise… That because of you they are in mortal danger?!”


Usually he could handle Kyuhyun’s temper. But for once Changmin was at a loss. His lifted his head to the sky, the anger still apparent in his frown.

“It seems that I cannot trust you with her safety. You go back home. I’ll take care of things.”

“Go home?!” Changmin exclaimed in disbelief. “Why go home now?! You can’t go up against Kibum and his partner alone and expect to win!”

His light brown haired friend paused, thinking it over. “You’re right. I will be defeated quickly. But better that I die than see them dangle her lifeless head in victory.” At this Changmin’s heart sank. There was nothing he could say to convince Kyuhyun otherwise.


It was clear. His friend could no longer see reason. Without being aware of her power over him, Joohyun had him wrapped around her finger.

 

There was no way he could release Kyuhyun without it affecting Joohyun.


~~~


Changmin went back to the apartment. For a while he just stood there, not moving, unable to think of how he could fix things. He’d lost the respect of his best friend, something that was going to be difficult to earn again.


That was when it hit him. Kyuhyun was right. If he fought against Kibum and that Joongki fellow alone then he would be out numbered. His only hope would be if he got back up from their realm.


Changmin left the apartment and sprinted to where he had to take off. After a quick mental preparation he ran fast, bent his knees and leapt high into the air.

He flew far and broke the barrier, entering with a crash. Unfortunately he had misjudged the landing so as a result he crashed into one of the stone walls.

The commotion caused vampires to speed there. Two helped Changmin stand, his head slightly spinning from the impact.

“Changmin, Changmin can you hear us?!”

“Where is leader?” Changmin asked as he tried to stand. “It’s urgent that I speak with him.”

“He’s in a meeting…“ But Changmin was already running to the main tower. Going up the stairs he made it to the main conference room pushing the doors open to an astonished council.


Kangta raised his eyebrows in surprise. He looked dignified in his red wine suit and the black shirt.
“Changmin-ah we didn’t expect to see you here.”

“It’s an emergency.” Changmin exclaimed. “Kyuhyun’s going to be killed and I—“

“—Whoa slow down.” Kangta interrupted. “Calm down and tell us what is going on.”

Pausing to let himself calm Changmin spoke. “Kibum who was exiled and his friend Song Joongki are going to attack our friends Seo Joohyun and her dongsaeng Minyoung—“

“—I’m sorry but who?!” Heechul stated clearly annoyed from the interruption.

“S-she’s a human. Seo Joohyun and Minyoung are humans.”


There was chatter amongst the members. Heechul glared at him. “You’re associating with humans?!”

“That’s disgusting!” One of the members, a young female called Sulli added. “We eat humans not friend them!”

Kangta raised a hand. Everyone fell silent. “Alright let’s not jump to silly conclusions. We’ll test his words.” He turned his head to the vampire seated next to him.

He had only been turned recently but because of his unique gifting’s Kangta placed him in a high position. He was uniquely tall with his long legs, long nose and face.


“Zhoumi-ah, can you do a reading of him?” With a nod the vampire pushed away the coppery red hair away from the left side of his face to reveal a white eye, opposite to the brown one.

Changmin felt his body being tickled by its stare while Kangta spoke to him.
 
“Tell me Changmin. You are aware that it’s against the rules to associate with humans. Are you saying that you know this Joohyun personally?”

With some hesitation Changmin nodded.

“Ok then tell me this.” Kangta leaned forward in his seat. “Do not worry. You will not be accused or looked down upon if you answer honestly.”

He hadn’t asked the question yet Changmin was beginning to feel tense where he stood, unable to move. Swallowing whatever saliva he had Changmin agreed. “Please ask Leader.”

“This Joohyun; do you care for her?”

The vampires shifted in their chairs curiously waiting for him. He looked into the eye. Its white emptiness like a bottomless pit was causing him to quiver. For Zhoumi could look into all vampires and see their true intentions. It was a dangerous power if misused. For no one could lie and get away with it.


Changmin had no choice. Lifting his head he looked straight at Kangta who was keen for the answer. “Yes, I do care for her.”

Mumbles and muttering came. Everyone wanted to discuss their revolt at this, Kangta silenced them again. “I see, thank you for that Changmin.” He looked to Zhoumi. “What did you see?”

The vampire let the hair fall again. “Everything he said was true.”

“Very well, thank you Zhoumi, now Changmin…” At the mention of his name Changmin tensed up again, his joints becoming stiff. “While it is somewhat touching to see that you have become kinder do you expect me to help Kyuhyun?”

Changmin agreed. “Yes he’s out numbered and I don’t know how powerful Kibum is or his friend--”

“--I’m afraid you’re mistaken if you think I will lift a hand.”  

 

The impact of his words hit Changmin like the penetrating of a wooden stake. “We are not guard dogs for any human whatever reason. They are our source of food, without them we will perish. Kyuhyun has sealed his own fate by letting himself become close with one.”

 

“No leader, please, please try to understand. “ Changmin tried to protest but was unfortunately silenced by Kangta’s raised hand.


“Your time away from here has dimmed your mind. You’ve forgotten our principles and practices. I must warn you. If you do not think carefully you’ll die along with Kyuhyun. It’s a shame it had to be this way. Your intelligence was missed in the council.”
 

Being rejected by the hands that he had served for so long really tore at Changmin’s insides. Kangta resumed the discussion, leaving Changmin to see himself out.

But after the shock of rejection there came an anger which started rapidly growing. Heechul raised his voice to speak. Not able to take it anymore Changmin strode up and slammed a fist into the table’s face. The furniture trembled, stone crumbling as he took some of the edge off.

“This is treachery! If it had been a squad of fighter vampires then we would have sent in backup moments ago. But no because it’s just one vampire who prefers a different kind of company you turned your backs on him! HOW CAN YOU JUST ABANDON HIM AND NOT FEEL GUILTY!?”

He spun on his heels and stormed away. Heechul rose from his seat. “What are you going to do?!” He called after him. “Do you think you can help him?!”

Changmin stopped before he quickly turned back to speak. “Not him; her!” He opened the doors and slammed them behind him.

 

~~~


Racing down the stairs Changmin got so far before needing to pause. Since he’d left the meeting room thoughts had been racing around his mind causing confusion and the inability to focus on his footing.


“Are you saying that you know this Joohyun personally?”

“I am not close with Joohyun however she seems like a nice human.”

“It’s hard for me to say this but I’ve come to realise there are four people I value more than anything in the world… The non-obvious ones would be Minyoung and you.”


Those lines didn’t bother him the most. No the recent ones, the ones uttered just a moment ago were the ones affecting him.


“This Joohyun; do you care for her?”

And then there were his words. Words he hadn’t expected to say.

Yes, I do care for her.”

 

Changmin shut his eyes. From his oxygen-less lungs he let out a heavy sigh.


“God, this isn’t what I wanted.” He opened his eyes. “While I dismissed the idea of it she had already accepted me as one of her friends. How could one claim to know so much yet see little? How could one just jump from innocent thoughts of friendship towards something so direct and intimate?”

He looked upcast to the ceiling above. The stone carved creatures looking down on him as if they were alive with their strong stares. “Kyuhyun I’m so glad that you aren’t here right now. Because I don’t know how to tell you this…”

In all of the places that a realisation could have come, Changmin had chosen this empty place. “Kyuhyun… I’m falling for Joohyun.”


Cue the wolf whistles. LOL I know some of u were waiting and wondering when it would happen. Btw this is chap 1 of a double update so enjoy.