Discovery after discovery

Kosher

 The air flowed past him leaving his ears nothing to hear but the extreme streamlining around him. The vast expanse of the clouds kept going on and on but before too long he felt a heat come to his body. This didn’t make sense in his mind; they didn’t need warmth to live so why would he be experiencing such a sensation.


It made better sense as the clouds cleared into a large vast space full of trees and life. The landscape was so rich in bright vivid colour that it almost blinded Changmin the closer he got. However he couldn’t look away in case he ran into something upon landing.

 

He hit the ground with super speed, rolling through the grass before banging his head against something. Slightly dazed he glanced about where he was. When he stood the smell of smoke caught his attention. To his embarrassment he realised that he’d left a smouldering trail of his tumble.

 

The atmosphere seemed different from what he was used to at home. It wasn’t stale; there was the smell of life. The smell of animals and humans; there was the smell of blood. Glancing around there was no sign of Kyuhyun but he discovered what it was that he’d come into contact with, a park bench facing mountains.

 

The grass beneath his feet was a full green, the trees not wilted or barren. Even the sky was no that drizzly grey he’d been so used to seeing. How was such a world so full in colour? How monotonous had the world of the vampires been just looking at white, grey and any dark colours?


“Where are you?” He hissed, stalking down to the path. He opened his eyes wider to use long sighted vision. The scenes jumped closer through the grove of trees like the zoom on a digital camera. He kept on scanning the area with this until he stopped at the outside of a school. Kyuhyun was walking down the footpath to the entrance. Changmin started to run, increasing his speed in less than a minute.

 

By the time he arrived at the same spot Kyuhyun was gone. Now he was confused. “Where did he go?” For a while there was no noise but the occasional people passing by. Then it was broken by the sound of a bell. Changmin jumped, rumbling came from the building next to him and people started to gather from everywhere; to wait at the gate.

 

He ran to the nearest tree, hiding himself behind it. His teeth ached, the smell of the warm flesh and the blood pulsating through the people was bringing out the worst in him. Hunting vampires knew how to control the urges without visibly reacting, Changmin couldn’t.

 

Teeth aching, his insides churning, every inch of him craved the life support which was pumping through the circulatory system of every person. There was good reason why vampires only brought what would be enough. It was to prevent any unintended gluttony by those whose who came into more regular contact with the slaughtered prey; because they wouldn’t be able to stop themselves for indulging.


“God help me,” he hissed through gritted teeth. God, did he actually exist? They’d no faith, no way of knowing why they were created.


~~~

 

In a few minutes the urges started to decrease, Changmin sensed something. Peering around the tree he saw Kyuhyun. Closing his eyes he looked into them. In the darkness there was a faint silhouette of each person, everyone but Kyuhyun had a pale blue glow inside. Kyuhyun’s was a deep red, like blood. He opened them again breaking the vision.

 

The gate had been opened unlike previously and heaps of children all came out excitedly, their short legs in full bursts to their parents or guardians waiting for them. Kyuhyun had the bouquet in his hands, his face scanning around him.

 

Changmin watched him, wondering what had the attention of Kyuhyun at this time.

“Miyoung,” the voice was too high to be male. It was soft but not immature as such. Kyuhyun’s face changed, looking down a girl with pigtails hurried past him to the person waiting at the side patiently. Where had she come from? The girl in a white short sleeved blouse, butter yellow skirt and white sneakers with long chocolate hair tied up in a ponytail: the one who was calling out ‘Miyoung.’


From a distance he couldn’t distinguish much about her face so he zoomed in. Round faced, large eyes surely he was looking at a teenager aged human. She had the features of a youth. Her height however was different to what he imagined. Not every female human was short after all.

 

While he was thinking this over Kyuhyun moved. Changmin hadn’t expected it so the surprise nearly made him hit his head against the tree trunk. Kyuhyun walked up to the girl. They talked for a bit, Kyuhyun nodding from time to time with the occasional smile in the mix.

 

Changmin’s face fell. Kyuhyun was in violation of the vampire legislation. This stated that vampires were to forbidden to interact, converse, touch, or even be within one foot of a living human being.  If Kyuhyun was caught by a hunter vampire then he would be reprimanded or worse.

 

Not being able to watch anymore he stepped out. His nose caught whiff of something dead and he froze. Right in front of him was a dead sparrow, its eyes were gone and it’s with a large gash in it. There wouldn’t be much blood in it but the smell was driving Changmin insane.

 

When no one was looking he scooped up the dead creature and retreated behind the tree. His teeth extended in the anticipation, saliva starting to form on his tongue. Now he had to decide whether to give in or resist. They’d only eaten two days ago so a little nibble wouldn’t hurt.

 

However he changed his mind. If he consumed a little bit then it may drive him to hunt and try to kill something else. He was no hunter so chances of him succeeding without getting caught were low. Clenching an empty fist he flung the dead body at a nearby tree. It slumped down and lay there, rotting.

 

Kyuhyun handed the girl the flowers who was surprised at the gift from the way her eyes widened. Changmin couldn’t tell if she was thanking him or trying to decline. Kyuhyun managed to remain perfectly composed without any flickering in his expression.

 

The interaction came to an end as the girl took the hand of the child next to her and walked off, the two talking as they went.  Kyuhyun watched her go before smiling to himself. However his eyes ended up meeting with right Changmin’s. Before he went over to his friend he checked no one was watching so he could hurry at super speed.

 

“Changmin,” Kyuhyun seemed a bit confused but he smiled. Changmin’s face was grave.
“We need to talk and now!”

 



Busted or is he? I struggled to figure out how vampires operate (I mean do they need to breathe or is it just smell and well the other things?)