Blink

Kosher

Someone’s hands were at Changmin’s neck, applying intense force against it. Unable to see who it was he fought against their strength, both of them similar in that area.

 

Fortunately there was one thing that Changmin had an advantage in which was his height. Quickly he got to his feet, still trying to pull the hands off.
“Kyuhyun, help me!”

 

His friend had disappeared. Kyuhyun must have gone to see where Minyoung was. Changmin didn’t know whether to be relieved or frustrated with him. Either way his opponent was not going to relent that easily.

 

Much to Changmin’s dismay more vampires came in. He recognised their faces. They had been banned from their realm along with Kibum. Kyuhyun’s old friend must have gathered them for revenge or likewise.

 

“Kyuhyun,” he was starting to sound desperate. “Kyuhyun help me!”

 

But then there came the long and desired reply, “Changmin!”  Kyuhyun was fast. He was down the stairs in a second, grabbing the attacker and shoving him against a wall with enough force. They heard some bones break.

 

Changmin sank to the floor rubbing his neck. Kyuhyun crouched beside him. “How bad is it?”

“Not bad enough that if I walk my head will fall off.” At this lame joke Kyuhyun smirked, getting up and helping Changmin.


They were being surrounded by four other vampires. All were exiled members starting from the girl who looked to be no younger than a teenager on her death as well as several men that may have been in their mid-thirties when they died.

 

“What do we do?” Changmin was at a loss.


“Do not panic.” Kyuhyun calmly replied. “We’ll take them down and then get Minyoung, she is being held upstairs.”


The vampires pounced. Kyuhyun grabbed one and slammed a knee into his forehead shattering the skull at the point of entry. Changmin ducked as another tried to kick him in a clumsy manner.

When the vampire wasn’t looking Changmin kicked him behind the knees and he fell down, ending up under an opponent Kyuhyun had just knocked down. But Changmin wasn’t on full guard and ended up being pinned down.


Kyuhyun saw this and threw the girl he’d been wrestling with against the one that had Changmin. They fell back onto the floor, getting up with vehement glares.


Going to the door Kyuhyun pulled it off its hinges. With a solid movement he broke it on his knee. Grabbing the largest splinter from the break Kyuhyun it into one of the vampires in the heart. There was flailing and screeching as its body started to convulse wildly. Then it was still, eyes now black.

 

Changmin stared in horror as he stabbed the others, seeing them tremble like they were demon possessed just before they died. Kyuhyun turned his head up to Changmin.

“You haven’t seen this before have you?” Standing up he disregarded the splinter, holding his hand behind his back.

 

“So that’s how we die… We either die by sunlight, neck breaking or wood.”

He saw Kyuhyun’s face. Something made Changmin’s heart rate slow uneasily. Changmin slowly walked over, stepping over the bodies lying around them.

“Kyuhyun,” he stopped. “I know you; don’t tell me what you are thinking please.”


And then Kyuhyun made a brave smile. Changmin stared at him. “Changmin, you need to take Minyoung out of here and run as fast as you can.”


If Changmin had been human the shock of it would have made him sick. Instead he clutched at the fabric on his chest, his thin shirt somehow suffocating.

“No,” he refused. “No I won’t do that… Because that means I would…”

“—that’s right.” Kyuhyun’s sad grin only grew bigger. “You would leave me here.”


~~~

What was Kyuhyun thinking? Changmin could only wonder in devastation as he saw his friend make a choice by himself without input from him, his best friend.

Closing his mouth Changmin hid his clenched jaw. Eventually he had to speak. “Kyuhyun… You can’t. I won’t let you stay back! Tell me you’re reconsidering!”

“I’m sorry Changmin…” Kyuhyun’s voice was softer. “This is something I’ve thought about since we started fighting. More will come; you have never fought against anyone before.” Even if it was true Changmin still refused to believe it.

 

Kyuhyun came closer to Changmin. He put a hand on his friends’ shoulder while Changmin’s eyes followed it before going back to him.

“Changmin… I love Seohyun, I really do but there’s one thing I did not count on when I made that choice.”

 

Changmin pushed back the emotions that were rising up. Kyuhyun kept composure even though he seemed to be pushing them down himself.

“I didn’t expect her to feel for my friend… Who had put love at a distance from himself after bad experiences learned to feel it again thanks to her.”

Kyuhyun removed his hand. Lifting a head to his ear he listened in for something that was not that close.

“I think some more of his reinforcements will be coming soon. Quickly get her and leave.”

Changmin was torn. He knew Minyoung needed to be rescued but at the same time, he would lose someone else close to him.

“Kyuhyun,” his voice became taught. “Don’t do this…”

Before Changmin could continue Kyuhyun suddenly had him in a crushing hug. It was now past the point of return. Changmin returned it but had to close his eyes for a moment.

 

Kyuhyun released him before Changmin could let his heart burst. Patting him on the shoulder Changmin was pushed towards the stairs. “Go on, she’s waiting.”


Changmin’s steps faltered. Looking back at Kyuhyun he wanted to stop him. But then the sound of sobbing made his attention shift back at the stairs. Minyoung, she needed him. Turning his head Changmin slowly began his ascend up.

 

~~~

 

(Soundtrack)

There were not many rooms on the top floor. Glancing around at the closed doors he shut his eyes to look through to the other side. Inside there was nothing for the door closest to him. The one next to him was the same.


But the door at the far right, there was a blue aura on the floor. An aura about the same size as a little girl would be. Quickly Changmin ran over and grabbed the handle, “Minyoung its Changmin oppa!”

 

“Oppa,” her response sounded pitiful and tearful. “Oppa why am I here? What have I done wrong to be trapped inside?”

Changmin’s heart was going to rip apart if he wasn’t careful. Grabbing the door, he pulled hard. There was a snapping as the door’s hinges broke, splintering at the point of impact. It toppled onto the floor, just before Minyoung.


Her clothes were covered in dirt, a bruise on her arm and cheeks grubby except for where tears had fallen. She looked so thin as well. Minyoung lifted her head up to him painfully slow.
“O-oppa oppa is that…“

Changmin couldn’t bear it any longer. Going on his knees he scooped Minyoung in his arms. Cradling her close to him he let her cry.
“It’s alright Minyoung, oppa is here.” He her hair, biting his bottom lip.

 

After he had managed to stay calm Changmin carried her out of the room down the stairs. He heard crashes and bangs coming from the main area. Kyuhyun, he was in danger.


Hurrying to the bottom Changmin saw Kyuhyun punch a vampire in the face and break the jaw of another. For a moment he turned his head.
“Ah Changmin I told you not to wait. You’d better not anyway…”

“What are you saying?!” Changmin was practically yelling. “What are you planning to do now?!

“You’ll see,” Kyuhyun sounded disheartened but he still swiftly went behind the bar. Changmin started weaving around the bodies, using a hand to force Minyoung to look at his shirt. She’d seen enough horrors for her age.


At the doorway out Changmin stopped as a sound tickled his ears, the scratch of a match head against the box. Spinning around he witnessed Kyuhyun holding the small flame in his hand.

“NO KYUHYUN DON’T—“

Kyuhyun stared at the bodies. That was when the image got worse. Kyuhyun’s clothes were saturated with something. There came a groaning as some of the vampires started to wake from not being killed, slowly crawling from their spots towards their enemy. “I’m sorry Changmin.”


That was when Changmin made the hardest decision in all his time of being a vampire. Being careful to make sure he didn’t trip Changmin spun on his heels and ran as fast as he could.

 

He heard the flames rise up in a furious blaze. From what he felt was a safe distance he let his running slow and he looked back.
There was nothing but deep orange fire poking out of the windows and the open doorway.

 

Biting his lip Changmin made a funny noise as he fought against his grief. Minyoung moved a hand to his cheek.
“Oppa… Oppa are you sad?”

Biting the inside of his mouth he denied this. “No, come on let’s quickly go back.” Putting Minyoung on his shoulders Changmin started back, slower than he had intended to go.

 

~~~
 

The other vampires were gathered at the park. Minho and Siwon appeared as though they had been ruffled up a fair bit. Yunho and Taemin were similar while Donghae and Eunhyuk seemed to be not too bad.


Over the horizon Yunho spotted Changmin and then Minyoung. “He found her! He found Minyoung!” Excited they all gathered around the two. Yunho lifted Minyoung off her shoulders for Changmin.


“I can’t believe it.” Yunho was in disbelief. “How did you find her?” But Changmin said nothing. He had his mouth shut and his eyes shut. Unexpectedly he crouched down on the ground, a hand to cover his face.


Then Eunhyuk spoke, his voice careful for once. “Kyuhyun where’s Kyuhyun? “

They all began to search. Siwon raised his eyebrows. “That’s weird, wasn’t Kyuhyun with—“

“Oppa,” Minyoung broke through the atmosphere. She was beside Changmin, her hand soothing his cheek. She took it away for a second, it was wet. “Oppa, why are you crying?”

That was it. Changmin could not hold back. The sobs started through his shut jaw, shoulders shaking along with the rest of his tall frame. Unable to move from his position Minyoung stood beside him, her hand touching him lightly on the head, just enough so he would feel it.

The others stood around. After a moment Siwon turned to Yunho whose face was frozen.
“Yunho… Do you think…? Do you think he--“

Donghae was silenced by his friend’s crestfallen gaze. Blinking hard Yunho contained himself before he answered him.
“I extended my sights in the direction Changmin had come from… There was a fire. A fire large enough to kill a dozen of us… It was lit from inside.”



If you are crying then that is the aim, I’ll say no more and let you grieve.