Still

Kosher

Nobody had to ask what had happened to Kyuhyun. They did what they thought was best and gave Changmin needed time alone. Yunho stayed close by him, making sure he was taking it slowly as he could.

At first Minyoung didn’t want to leave her funny oppa and clung to Changmin’s arm. The mention of food and ‘all you can eat’ by Siwon got her attention swayed slightly so he had to keep to his word.


While they were gone the others sat down. The impact of Kyuhyun’s demise was starting to set in.
“What now?” Minho asked, doing very little to comfort Eunhyuk or Donghae who had started to tear up. Yunho patted Changmin on the back before turning to Minho.


“Minyoung should be reunited with Seohyun. She’s probably worried about her.” The others agreed.


“I’ll do it.” Yunho stared at Changmin who heaved a sigh before wiping his eyes. “There are some other things that I need to say as well.”

“Guys we have company.” Siwon was back, carrying Minyoung on his shoulders. From the distance they saw them. Three of them, familiar especially the one in the middle dressed in the simple white buttoned up shirt.


They all stood to pay respect to him. “Leader… What are you doing here?” Yunho began astonished.


Kangta ignored him, his focus was the vampire still seated. “For such a situation as this I could not just sit back any further.” Turning to the other two that had come with him he spoke with his voice lowered. “Send everyone else home. Leave the human, Yunho and Changmin only.”


They nodded and then began their task. Siwon and Minho started to fight back. “W-why are you doing this?!”

“Don’t try to argue back Yunho.” Kangta’s stern tone silenced him. “I will be dealing with you three personally.”

Minyoung hurried over to Changmin who scooped her up. She let him sit in her lap for Kangta’s reprimand. The others were out of earshot and sight. Their leaders’ gaze was aimed at them showing no signs of grace or mercy.
“This is a real predicament you’ve managed to place us in.”

“Forget about us!” Yunho started. “Kibum is on the loose out there if he isn’t caught then—“

“—He’s being pursued as we speak.” Kangta placed a hand in his pocket. “He’ll be taken back to our realm where we will bring forth a more fitting punishment for his crimes; decapitation in the courtyard along with any of his remaining allies.”

Minyoung looked at Changmin. “Oppa what does d-de-cap-it thingy mean?”

“You are to return to our realm immediately.  Ignore the human child; she will have to find her own way.” Changmin’s grip on Minyoung tightened while she lifted his arm to hide her face.

Yunho stared at his leader. “How can we? She’s to be returned to her unnie before we can leave—“

“—you are you to follow my orders!”

“NO!”

Yunho and Kangta both stood with fiery gazes. Changmin cleared his throat. He then put Minyoung down. “Hyung,” he said and Yunho looked down at him. “He’s right. Hurry back and I’ll be there soon. If I have to take further penalties for delaying then fine.”

Although Yunho looked as though he was about to start arguing with Changmin he closed his mouth and forced a nod. Patting Changmin on the head he dislodged some of the hair in a playful action before he made his leave.

 

~~~

With just the three of them the atmosphere was tense. Kangta pulled Changmin up by the shoulder.
“Disciplinary action will be taken by the council upon your return. You have two hours to clean things up and return to the head room where we’ll discuss a verdict.”

Changmin agreed knowing that it was about as generous as their leader would get. With this Kangta turned and left unaware Minyoung was waving to him.
“He’s scary,” she whispered to Changmin who smirked. But then his face fell when he realised what was to come. Would he be able to see them after the council had reached a conclusion?

Better yet would the door to the muses’ realm still be open? There was no other way to know. Picking up Minyoung he placed her on his back and went down the grass to the bottom.

 

Surprisingly the hole was still there. Checking Minyoung again he started to walk in. It felt weird coming in again, two of the muses who were sitting on white stones both came over to him.
“It is you.” He recognised the shorter of the two. “Send for Seohyun.” The other left and Changmin lowered Minyoung.


“You’re pretty.” Minyoung’s eyes were drawn to the dress. Soon they were accompanied by several others.

“Changmin,” he stood up when he heard his name. Seohyun was walking towards them. Minyoung noticed her and then went over in a rush, “unnie!”  The two embraced both shedding tears. Changmin watched afraid to start crying again.

The two sisters still stayed close as Seohyun went to Changmin and flung her arms around him. Holding her tightly he caught a whiff of her scent similar to newly bloomed flowers. He could forget about the last twenty four hours now and focus on the one thing that mattered most. Eventually the company they had started to move away giving the three of them time to be alone.

~~~


“I’ve been so worried.” Seohyun said pulling back to study his face. “But what is wrong? Why do you look so sad?” Using her as a means of support he put both his hands on her shoulders.

“Kibum has been captured so you don’t have to fear anymore.”


“But isn’t that a good thing oppa?”

“Kyuhyun…” Changmin struggled to say it. “Kyuhyun used himself to save Minyoung and me.”

Now Seohyun understood. Changmin started to crumble and she used her hands to guide his head to her shoulder. He clasped onto her, his strength starting to fail in his moment of emotional weakness. the nape of his neck Seohyun breathed out softly as her eyes began to brim.


After the feeling passed Changmin moved away, holding onto Seohyun’s hand. “I have to go back… The council are going to release their verdict.” He stopped.


Seohyun nodded. “I see… Will you be able to come back?”

He’d been dreading to hear that the most. Looking away for a moment he spoke with his voice quieter than normal. “I don’t know.” He forced himself to give Seohyun and Minyoung full eye contact. “But I’ll find a way to come to you. Even if it is years from now.”

It took a lot of his energy to drag himself away from her and Minyoung. He knew they would be safe with Kibum taken care of but there was still the unease of the council’s verdict. What they decided would make or break the bonds he shared with them. And possibly bring the cost of Kyuhyun’s sacrifice amounting to nothing.

~~~


“So have we reached a verdict?” Kangta said with his grating voice. Heechul nodded, standing up with a piece of paper in his hands. He gleefully smirked at Changmin who did not respond back.
“Yes the decision is that Changmin is to remain bound here in our realm for forty years, stripped of his council title and duties with only one day of freedom.”

Kangta agreed with a curt nod. “Very well, this sounds more than reasonable.” He looked around at the remaining council members. “We’ll search for a replacement immediately. Someone who does not have such strong ambitions, Changmin you are dismissed.”

Changmin made himself bow to those that he used to call friends before he left the room. It was a harsh punishment but he couldn’t oppose it. The council were not in a position to bargain or to negotiate.

But now he wondered how he would see Seohyun again. She would be waiting for him, forty years was a long time for humans so when would he see Minyoung? How old would she be?


“There you are.” He lifted his head to Yunho standing at the doorway. “Can I come in?”

“Sure,” Changmin agreed. Since he’d come back two weeks ago the room had felt empty with just him in there. Yunho sat on Kyuhyun’s old bed, facing his younger friend. The two didn’t speak for a moment until Yunho did with caution.


“I heard about your punishment. I’m sorry Changmin.”

Changmin shook his head. “Nothing can be done…” He sighed as he added. “I won’t even be able to go to Kyuhyun’s memorial service.”


“That is a shame. But maybe that isn’t the main concern.” Yunho thought aloud. “Do you know…? How you will see her again?”

Changmin’s silence indicated that he hadn’t. He leaned back against the wall with a slight bump to his head. Yunho turned his hands over for a look. “I get one day off every 365 day period.” Changmin started to say. “When that day comes I’ll go to her. I’ll go to her then and the year after and the year after that.”

Yunho opened his mouth but then shut it. Changmin could see he was confused. “I know it’s not going to be enough for me. But it will do until the forty years are over.”

“What will you do then?”

Changmin changed positions, his expression becoming serious. “After those forty years I will leave. And she will come with me where we can live freely without threat or danger.” He narrowed his eyes slightly at Yunho as he added. “And no one will be able to stop us.”



Last chapter will come next week so stay tuned.