U

Kosher

“It’s been a while Changmin.” The vampire said, his lips. “Are you still close with Kyuhyun-ah?” The younger of the two bit his bottom lip, words full of vehemence.


“What do you think Kibum-ssi?!”

Kibum feigned surprise. “Hey what happened to hyung? I thought you would be happy to see me right?” He stepped closer towards Changmin who went the opposite direction.


“You aren’t supposed to be here! You were exiled to the realm of the Incubus!” However the other vampire was not scared by this statement.


“Those sadistic demons don’t care whether I come or go.” Kibum folded his arms without losing his sinister grin. “And why should they? I feed off their Succubus without a single care.”

Changmin’s insides squirmed. He wondered if it had to do with the excess alcohol in the woman’s blood for he didn’t normally feel queasy. Kibum suddenly remembered something. He glanced down zipped up the fly in his pants.

“Still, never thought I would see you in the human realm; have you come to get lucky?”

Changmin couldn’t put his finger on it; but something about Kibum was bothering him. Bothering him more than the fact that he was here, “Kibum-ssi… What about my three- my three old friends? “


“Yoochun’s gone,” Kibum said without a change in his voice. “In fact he was going to help me but changed his mind at the last minute.” He held up a hand, facing the palm inward. “Shame really, on the other hand seeing him scream for mercy really was exciting.”

Changmin’s eyes darkened. Kibum waited for him to speak and he did, not sparing him any polite words. “You’re sick!”

“Aren’t we all?” Kibum lowered his hand. “Blood- leeches in human bodies, maybe that’s a better name for us.”

“Leave here at once!” Changmin hissed, his eyes almost blazing. “Go back to your realm!” Kibum started to laugh. However soon after his eyes changed, without a glint or twinkle and the pupils changed to a dark red.  

“You think you can tell me what to do Changmin-ah?” He challenged him. “I came here for an agenda and I won’t be leaving until I find my answer.”

Changmin raised his eyebrows. “Which is what? “

“The shield,” Changmin stopped. Kibum’s answer wasn’t what he had anticipated. The vampire folded his arms. “Our kind cannot stay here for long before the rays of the sun seep into our skin, frying us inside out. The longest known time for residence has been about six months.”


Kibum glared at him. Despite being shorter he showed a great energy within his presence that magnified himself and his strong, bipolar persona.
“I’ve tried about every animal here on the planet, fairies, goblins, nymphs, angels if I can get my hands on them. But there is still one creature left on my check list. Would you like to see?”

Kibum took out a piece of paper. The edges were tattered and blood stained but the messy handwriting was still legible. Changmin leaned closer to have a read. It was almost in alphabetical order if Kibum had written ‘Nine Tailed Foxes’ and ‘Nymphs’ in different places.

 

The name that hadn’t been crossed out caught his attention, “Muses?”


Kibum winked, “that is correct. They are very hard to find as they are so secretive but according to my friend—“

“—Song Joongki,” Kibum’s expression grew worse and he swore. Changmin knew he hated being interrupted. “I already know. Just get over it!”

“They are immortal and known to be powerful. I believe that their blood is the breakthrough I’ve been searching for.”


After what had been a very intense encounter Changmin began to laugh. Kibum just watched puzzled while the other kept guffawing.

“You aren’t going to find any of them here!” Changmin stated when he had calmed down. “They have their own home in case you have forgotten.”

All of a sudden he almost fell forward. Kibum had grabbed the collar of his shirt. “Just because I haven’t found one yet doesn’t mean I won’t!” He let go. Changmin flew several metres in the air before landing on the road. The force of his landing sent waves through the ground, causing cracks in the tarmac. An oncoming car swerved to narrowly miss him, honking loudly as it drove away. A few people stopped to watch, somewhat shocked by the sight.


He quickly stood, causing confusion among those driving. Kibum walked to the pavement.
“Don’t get in my way. I’ll mind your business if you mind yours!” Within a blink he was gone.

~~~

As he went home with the sign post under his arm Changmin felt himself trembling. He had to warn Kyuhyun of Kibum. Because of that twisted vampire nobody would be safe.


“Huh,” he blinked dumbly. How did he end up at Joohyun’s home? There were no lights so maybe they weren’t back. It was very late in the evening after all. He turned to leave but then stopped as someone came to the door.

 “Changmin-sshi, what are you doing here?” Joohyun asked.


Turning slowly he faced her, putting the sign behind his back in an awkward movement. “I umm… Kyuhyun wouldn’t happen to be here right?”

“He went home a while ago, oh that reminds me.” She disappeared inside. A moment later she returned, carrying something on a plate. Changmin saw that it was a piece of cake covered in white icing. Part of a pink flower was on the slice, the flavour of the baked delicacy being sponge with some jam in the middle.


“Here,” she handed it to him. Changmin accepted it though was a little taken back. “We bought it—while you were gone.”

“Thank you,” he said. That was when he knew he would have to say it then and there. If he didn’t then he may as well forget it. “Joohyun…. About today,” he sighed, annoyed at himself for delaying what others managed to do in less time. Joohyun waited without wanting to push him.

“I owe you an apology. I’m sorry. You were right about me. Right about me being a cold person, I know I am. I wasn’t always like this. I was always honest even if it cost me those who I value the most.”


Changmin let out some air. “It’s hard for me to say this but I’ve come to realise there are four people I value more than anyone else. Typically I wouldn’t worry but I thought about it before. The two obvious ones are Kyuhyun and Yunho hyung.” He had to tug at his collar. Strangely he was becoming stuffy for a creature cold as death.  


“And the non-obvious ones would be Minyoung and you.”

 

He dropped his hand, blinking several times in a row. Joohyun appeared surprised as well. So they both stood there in silence.  Finally they came to grips with reality. Joohyun’s mouth moved, it wasn’t a smile but it was close to it. Her eyes started to shrink nearly into little smiles which were a better indicator of her mood.


“It’s ok Changmin-sshi I forgive you,” she told him. Her words got him gaping, surprised at her answer. When had someone forgiven him last?


He had to change the subject before he said something stupid. “Um oh I got you something. It isn’t wrapped though.” Changmin quickly revealed the sign.


“Ah Changmin-ssi, you didn’t have to—“

“—is there any room for it?” He quickly asked sounding apologetic. Joohyun looked around.


“Near the rosebush, can I see what it says?” Joohyun lifted it up and read it aloud. “Only when glass beads are strung together then it becomes a treasure. Do you know what this means?” She seemed so pleased that Changmin gestured for her to explain.


“No matter how good something is if it isn’t polished then you cannot see just how valuable it’s worth unless you put it into perspective.”


Though he didn’t really understand still he just nodded. “I see glad you liked it, I’d better leave then.”

Changmin would have left to go home if something hadn’t been tugging on his arm. Looking over his shoulder Joohyun’s hand was clenched to the fabric.
“D-do you want to have something to eat before you go? We went to a Jewish restaurant and plenty left over.”

Though the girl had not satisfied him Changmin shook his head. “No thanks, their food is somewhat strange.”

“Are you familiar with what Kosher is Changmin-sshi?” He never expected for Joohyun to start a new conversation.  “It’s a term for food that is customary for them to eat. It is food that is considered clean and suitable for consumption.”

 

It reminded him of humans that had never consumed alcohol, taken drugs or was vegetarian. Their blood was so rich that to find a person who hadn’t been contaminated by the temptations of the world had become a very rare yet lovely thing.


Changmin decided that he was best to go. “Thank you for the offer Joohyun however I think I’ll have to pass, you understand right?”

Though she was somewhat disappointed Joohyun didn’t express this with words. Looking at the sign post, she scanned the garden to where it could be planted. “Have a safe trip home.”


Changmin nodded and then left, not looking back even though Joohyun was watching him. He was beginning to scare himself. Her words had affected her more than they should have.


Hmm what do we have here? I messily included the title in the fic because otherwise some of you will think (eh what?) though I wonder how many of u expected him to be the vampire?