In Our Time

Kosher

Knocking on the door Yunho paused. He hadn’t been home in a while so how his friend would react could prove interesting. The council had given him extra work as a consequence of his affiliation with Kyuhyun and Changmin’s problem.
When he heard his friend’s voice call ‘it’s open,’ he relaxed. Letting himself in he saw his friend bent over his suitcase, looking through his collection of books.

“Changmin you’re doing well.” Yunho commented. “I’m happy to see. What are you doing?”

Turning around Changmin faced him, clutching a book in his hand. “Hyung, today’s that day so I’m getting prepared.” And Yunho understood immediately. He started grinning along with Changmin who did as well.


“Ah so it’s been one year.” Yunho began nodding. “You plan to see her?”


“Indeed,” he flicked through the book and then set it aside from the others. “Oh yeah there’s something else.” Going to his drawers he took out a pen. Yunho watched curiously as Changmin started going through the book and then underlining in the black ink.

“W-what are you doing?”

Changmin’s smile brought merry suspicion. “Something I know Kyuhyun would have done… But in my special way.” After he’d done that book he took out another, and then another. He did this until he had underlined something in over thirty books. Satisfied with his work he placed them back in the suitcase memorising the order.

“I’d better go hyung. I have to make use of this one day of freedom I have a year. See you later.” They both left his room and went down to the courtyard where Changmin prepared to go.


“So you’ll be back here by a day?”

Changmin agreed. “That’s right. I’ll be home by tomorrow exactly.” The two bid each other goodbye. Yunho watched with a smile as his younger friend braced himself and soared away.

 

~~~


Upon landing Changmin searched for the nearest clock or time device and noted when exactly he’d arrived. It was nine am in the morning so he had until then to be here, and be with those he cared about most.

Walking to her house felt peculiar. He hesitated at her gate, peering inside to see if anything had changed during the time he’d been away. So far so good, she still had the sign posts in the garden including the one he’d given her.


Going up to the door he knocked. No answer. Peering through the glass he scanned with his extended vision. Had he gotten it wrong? There was no one inside!


Turning around he walked back to the front glancing at both ends. He had no idea where she would even be right now.
“Are you looking for Joohyun?” The voice caught him by surprise. At the left there was an ahjumma with a head scarf leaning on her face. “She’s gone into the city, said something about getting flowers.”

Changmin thanked her before he left. Urgency was picked up in his pace. He had to hurry if he was going to have plenty of time with her. Running towards where the bus stop was he waited for the next one. He remembered how to make his pockets appear with money so he wouldn’t be broke.

 

As soon as he arrived in the city his eyes were scanning about in desperate pursuit of her. There were so many shops and stores, not all of them floristries. The area was about the same as he’d seen it when he came with Seohyun, Kyuhyun and Minyoung the first time. The bittersweet memory hurt.


Speaking of similar he almost didn’t notice the music store. Hadn’t he gone inside before? The closer he got the more he remembered. Standing just inside away from the doorway he peered around at the guitars and pianos.

“Hi can I help—“

The speaker cut off. Changmin saw him and couldn’t believe it either. The guy had lost some weight, gotten a haircut and gained some muscle. Changmin had forgotten his name.

“It’s been a while,” he said after the two had politely greeted each other. “You’re looking good.” Changmin quickly complimented.

“Thank you,” the guy replied. “I think I remember your face. You’re friends with Joohyun right? Not Kyuhyun but…”

“Changmin,” Changmin finished. “You’re Yonghwa right?” Yonghwa nodded before speaking again.


“So, how are you? I haven’t seen you since Joohyun’s birthday. What’s happening in your life?”

“Not a lot,” Changmin didn’t want to participate in small talk. On the other hand it would bring vital clues to where Seohyun would be. “I got into a bit of trouble so I’m using my day off to come and visit.”

“Oh that stinks,” Yonghwa said in sympathy. “So have you been in touch with Joohyun since that day?”

Changmin shook his head. “I haven’t been able to, it’s my fault…” After closing his mouth for a moment of reflection he continued. “Have you seen her? I heard she was around here getting flowers.”

 

“She is,” Yonghwa confirmed. “You missed her about ten minutes ago. I directed her to the florist my girlfriend works at.”

“You have a girlfriend?”

Yonghwa took his phone out. “Shinhye’s her name,” he pressed the screen. “This is her.” Changmin examined the picture. She seemed nice enough. “I met her through Joohyun.”


Changmin nodded. “So can you tell me where that is?” Yonghwa led him outside the store. He pointed towards another street.

“It’s that way. It’s the only floristry on that street so you can’t miss it.” He patted Changmin on the back before he went back in.
“All the best by the way,” he added. “Joohyun didn’t say anything but… Someone or something is on her mind.”

 

As the door closed Changmin was off again, running with the book in his hand. Like Yonghwa had guided him the floristry was right in front of him. A girl stood outside talking with a man beside a bucket full of roses. Coming closer Changmin’s heart sank. It wasn’t her. It was Yonghwa’s girl instead.


He had to interrupt. “Um excuse me.” She glanced at him and then the man before telling the man to come inside where she would wrap them up.

“I’ll be a couple of minutes alright?” Changmin waited as the girl attended to her first customer. After he had left out the shop she followed.  

“Hello what can I do for you?”

“Have you seen Joohyun come in here?” Changmin asked. “I’m looking for her.”


Shinhye rolled up her sleeves. “She left just before you came.” The way she examined him up and down made him uneasy. “Are you her boyfriend? Yonghwa said she might like someone but I wasn’t sure of anyone besides that guy Kyuhyun I met…”

“—I’m not Kyuhyun.” Changmin felt horrible immediately afterwards. “I’m his friend Changmin… Or was his friend that is.” Shinhye didn’t ask about this much to his relief.

“She should be heading home, I hope you find her.” Changmin thanked her before he left again, backtracking to where the bus stop was. The bus had arrived and people were queuing to get on. In the line waiting to get on was her. The woman he wanted to see.


“SEOHYUN,” his voice carried above the crowd but she didn’t seem to hear. He tried again; she was close to stepping in the bus, “SEOHYUN!” Time stopped. In a few seconds he would know. She was about to enter but hesitated and moved away. Finally she turned in his direction


They saw each other. Changmin felt his dead heart slow. Seohyun was in utter shock. The two walked towards each other, ignoring the crowd. They both met just past the bus stop. Clutching the flowers in her hand she looked at him.

“C-Changmin, I-I thought…” She stopped, a lump in . “… I thought I would never see you again.” Changmin put a hand on her cheek, wiping the tear that had fallen.


“I’m sorry Seohyun.” His voice was soft. “I don’t have a lot of time; I’ll explain everything to you when we get home alright?” Nodding Seohyun reached up and touched his hand. “Yes that’s fine oppa.”


~~~

 

The two sat on Seohyun’s couch Changmin’s arm draped around her shoulders. The book he had sat on the table in front.
 

“So you can’t leave except for once a year for forty years?” She asked with Changmin nodding. She breathed out but couldn’t conceal the sigh. “I thought… I thought you’d left for good after Kyuhyun oppa had—“
She stopped, not wanting to bring it up again.


“I’m sorry I couldn’t contact you. I wrote you a letter and tried to get Yunho hyung to deliver it but he was intercepted by our council who burned it.”


“It can’t be helped can it?”

Changmin drew back a little as the smell of her blood made her almost irresistible to him. Now he was beginning to understand the torment Kyuhyun must have felt. Clearing his throat he forced himself to look in front. “That book over there,” he began causing her to glance in the same direction. “I’ll bring you a new one every year I come.”


“Ok thank you,” Seohyun said leaning against him. She breathed out her eyelids starting to flutter. “I’m glad you’re here. Minyoung was so happy to see you.”

“Me too,” Changmin sat waiting for Seohyun to speak. Turning his head he noticed that she’d fallen asleep. Smiling he pushed the hair off her face, He stayed next to her, his happiness infinite.

 

Soon it was the next day and Minyoung bounded downstairs. “Funny oppa, unnie what’s for breakfast?” Changmin carefully shook Seohyun. She opened her eyes.


“Oh did I nod off?”

Smiling at Seohyun Changmin helped her stand. “She would like breakfast.” He came after Seohyun and watched her prepare breakfast for her and Minyoung. The three all sat, laughing and talking. Changmin wished he could slow the time. In another year Minyoung will have grown and something else will have changed.


They both saw Minyoung off before Seohyun went to say goodbye to Changmin, walking to the park hand in hand.
“So I’ll see you in a year’s time?” Seohyun asked. Changmin looked at her, crestfallen as well.

“In forty years I will be free. I’ll come every year I promise it won’t be like last time.” Seohyun made a funny half smile which fell quickly. They came close to the place of take-off on the hill.  

“Oppa,” Seohyun began. “Promise me that you won’t forget me. A year is long, so don’t forget that I am here and—“
Changmin silenced her. Turning himself to Seohyun he quickly lowered his face down, placing his mouth against hers. Seohyun was stunned but she closed her eyes. He pulled away before it got deeper.

“It will be for longer the next time I come.” He began, their faces still close.

“Every year I will come with a book, leave with a kiss and a promise. Every year of a human life and for an eternity I will not forget the one I love. Trust me Seohyun.”

She looked into his eyes. For a vampire who didn’t have a soul she felt that he had one; one that only saw her right in this moment. Her face brightened and Changmin allowed himself to kiss her again.

 

~~~


Forty years later

 

Changmin adjusted his tie using the mirror in his room. It was one of the very few times he had worn a suit. He wasn’t sure when he had worn it last but it still stayed ironed and clean.


Yunho whistled when he made his appearance at the courtyard. He was with Siwon, Donghae and Minho who had come to see him off that time. “So today’s the day? That must be why you decided to come at night instead of daytime.”


“Indeed,” Changmin said his face bright with excitement. He looked at Siwon. “Hyung did you do what I asked?”
 

He nodded. “Yes he delivered the message to her.” Siwon said. They all gathered around to hug and wish him luck.
 

“Well,” Yunho cleared his voice before saying. “Good luck, I’m so proud.” He almost looked as though he would choke up. Changmin hugged him again before bracing himself. Counting down he bent his legs and jumped, leaving his realm behind.


He landed on earth safely. Sitting on the bench was a black haired vampire dressed in a long white shirt and black jeans. He stood up when he saw.
“Do you have it?” Changmin asked. Taemin reached in his pocket and took out the small, black box. He opened it to make sure it wasn’t empty and thanked Taemin before slipping it into a pocket.


“Good luck,” Taemin added while Changmin left. He walked to the house, the buildings all changing from renovations or rebuilding. Seohyun’s home still stayed the same but it had one less person inside. Minyoung had gotten married twenty years ago and was living in another town with her husband and three kids. Changmin wasn’t able to attend the wedding but Seohyun had shown him photographs.

 

Sure enough there she was, standing outside her house, a piece of paper loosely in her hand. She saw him and smiled. Forty years had not tarnished her immortal beauty like a valuable antique but she had gotten a fringe and her hair was up to her shoulders.


“Oppa,” they hugged upon meeting. Drawing apart Seohyun handed to him the last book. The one he’d lent to her last year.

“Did you enjoy it?” Changmin asked before. Seohyun agreed as she showed the piece of paper. “So you should have a message; from all the  books and just one word from each. Can you read it to me?”

 

“Seohyun, I love you I always will forever and ever.” She started to gush. “I want to ask you one question now.” Seohyun paused. Changmin let her continue. Sooner or later it would register.  
“If I ask you, will you take my hand and come away with me? Will you marry--“

Stopping she froze. Changmin was already on one knee, box open with the diamond and amethyst ring and a smile almost covering his whole face.

“Do I have to finish the sentence?” He teased. She shook her head realisation flooding her.

“No I understand oppa…” She smiled through her blurred eyes. “And yes; I will.” Changmin stood and placed the ring on her finger. They met half way, wrapping around each other. It couldn’t have been more wonderful and Changmin had even more great news for her.


And that could wait.


 

Waaaaaa it’s over oh my gosh it’s actually over. I thank all of you whether you’re a reader, silent reader or subscriber for taking the time to read this. Thanks for being a supporter of Changseo and for bearing with it being a vampire fic despite all the technical faults I may have included at times.