Biting my Lips

Kosher

“You are falling for Joohyun?” Changmin blinked, nearly losing his balance. Yunho was standing on a few steps below, grinning like a proud brother.


At first Changmin stared in alarm. But then he ended up scowling. “Hyung it’s rude to eavesdrop on others!”

“I couldn’t help it, I was on my way to see Kangta hyung and I noticed you there; talking to yourself.”

“I was…” He gave up. Yunho came up a few steps. “Damn, I didn’t mean for it to happen.” Seeing his friend distressed Yunho put a hand on Changmin’s shoulder.

“I won’t say anything to Kyuhyun, I promise. That’s something the two of you should work out alone.”


“There’s nothing to work out.” Changmin answered and was then troubled by the fact his own answer made him upset. “Kyuhyun has his eyes set on her. I was only meant to meet her once, no more.”

Yunho nodded, patting Changmin where his hand was. “These things happen on their own accord whether we like it or not. But they can be for a reason bigger than we may have even imagined. I guess I like to believe that fate is real.”

Changmin didn’t share the same thoughts as Yunho. Now that he thought about it the fact they had some common ground could be no coincidence.  He then remembered what had been his main focus. “Hyung the council… They wouldn’t help me.”

Yunho tilted his head in confusion, his lips pursing. “Help you with what?”

“Kyuhyun, Joohyun and Minyoung… They are in danger.” Changmin looked at him. “He followed Joohyun and Minyoung to their home. I don’t know why. Kyuhyun and I both saw it.”

Yunho’s face darkened. He clenched a fist. “That trickster… He’s up to something though I’m not sure--” He stopped, a thought crossing his mind at the crucial moment.
“Changmin, do you remember me telling you about what had happened a while ago with some vampires going into forbidden realms to try and find something?”

Changmin nodded. “You mean those creatures losing their own because of some kind of testing?”


“Yes Kibum is behind it I’m sure now.” Yunho said and Changmin swore, startling him. “But I’m pretty sure all the creatures have been checked…”

Changmin’s face became frozen. The piece of paper with the blood stains and the list of creatures crossed his mind. The same list that had every single name crossed out but one.

“Hyung, at the meeting you went to. Was there a representative for the muses?”

His friend stopped to rehash his memory. “Hmm yes there was. She was called Taeyeon.” Yunho looked at him. “But why do you ask?”

“I think… Oh Lord no.” Changmin moved past Yunho to hurry down the stairs. He heard more footsteps as Yunho rush after him.

“You think what Changmin-ah?”

“I think Kibum must believe that Joohyun is a muse or maybe Minyoung is. He wants their blood so he’ll know if they can drink it as a means to shield against the sun.”

“That’s crazy! Joohyun and Minyoung are humans I’m sure of it.”

Changmin halted at the bottom of the case. Yunho almost bumped into him. “But I’m not.” He swung around to face him.

“My ability is to discern who is what by looking at their spirits right?” Yunho nodded. “Well, I haven’t done that with Joohyun yet. I just instantly assumed she was human and didn’t think over it further.”

“So you think if you look into her aura… It won’t be blue?”

When he’d put it like that Changmin wondered if he really was thinking it over. “I’m not sure… I can’t put my finger on it yet hyung. Joohyun never seems to sleep. And when she sings there’s this strange sensation, like you’re overcome by a power or something—“

“—probably the power of love.” Yunho laughed off Changmin’s unamused frown. “Ok I’m sorry. I want to help you Changmin-ah but right now I’m no use until I come out of my meeting with Kangta hyung.”

Changmin’s face lightened. “Do you really mean--?”

“—I have some friends who are hunters. I’ll have a word with them and see if they’ll help. They’ll be more than willing to I’m sure.”

“Thank you hyung, I really mean it.” Changmin insisted at the end. They parted ways and Changmin prepared to depart. He gave no warning to the vampires chilling in the courtyard. They looked as if they’d burst blood vessels from the surprise when he shot up into the sky.


~~~


It was night time when Changmin came back. He was grateful that the sun was gone. Until sunrise at least he had the privilege of walking around without being sizzled.


Taking out his phone quickly Changmin dialled Kyuhyun’s number. It rang for a while without a response. He then began to worry that his friend had already been taken captive or worse.


When Kyuhyun finally did answer he let out a groan. “Kyuhyun-ah you have to listen—“

“—Changmin, why are you still here?!”


“I have to warn you Kyuhyun do you remember--?”

“—Not now, I’m keeping an eye on Joohyun’s house. So far Kibum hasn’t shown his face again.”

“Thank God.” Changmin murmured to himself. “Kyuhyun this is important. Kibum-sshi is looking for a cure to protect him from the sun. Based on the list he had, he’d been to nearly every possible realm and tried all creatures but one… Those are the muses.”

There was a pause as Kyuhyun was silent. Changmin was about to speak again before his friend spoke up. “There are no muses here.”


“I thought so too… Until recently that is.”

“What does that—“


The line dropped dead. Kyuhyun’s voice did not answer. Changmin re-dialled the number.
“Kyuhyun what’s wrong?” Kyuhyun didn’t pick up. Putting the phone away Changmin ran to Joohyun’s home.

 

He saw Kyuhyun on same the hill from before. Slowing down to a walk Changmin came next to him without surprising his friend. “What’s going on? What happened?”

“False alarm,” the way Kyuhyun stated. “You were meant to go back.”

“I did but I came back. Kyuhyun, you cannot protect her alone. I may not be able to fight but I will not let them get close to her.”

Kyuhyun stopped. Within him something snapped. He sharply turned his head to face Changmin. “Why do you say you’ll protect her with me when you say you aren’t friends?! What game are you playing Changmin?!”

Kyuhyun was in no mood to be kept waiting. Changmin realised he had no choice but to confess. “Because…Kyuhyun I think I—“

 

The front door opened. The two looked in closer. Joohyun stepped outside, holding the edges of a rug. Lifting her arms she flapped it in the air, releasing all the un-seen dust trapped in the fibres, her hair moving slightly along.


At this Kyuhyun sighed in relief. “We can talk more about that later. We should go and see to it that she really is ok.”

Changmin nodded in agreement. That was the first thing they agreed on since their dispute. They both jumped into the air, landing further down her street to avoid causing a scene.  


~~~


They saw nothing unusual as they sprinted to the home. Neither of them noticed the guy who had bent over, dropping some of the groceries from a bag. They bumped into him, falling back slightly.

Kyuhyun quickly got up to help him. “Terribly sorry, neither of us were paying attention were we Changmin?”

“It’s alright.” The man assured them, standing up. He had a rather young yet handsome face and was rather lean. “I wasn’t being very careful so I was at fault too.”

The two parties bowed to the other before parting. The man passed through walking with a whistle until he said something in a low voice. “I wouldn’t worry about a commoner when there’s a vampire in your house.”


Kyuhyun and Changmin froze. They stared at each other. Both of them turned to look behind but he was gone. Suddenly a horrified scream tore through the silence. Kyuhyun and Changmin ran as fast as they could.


They reached Joohyun’s home. The glass on the sliding door shattered. Kneeling in front of it Joohyun sat there with her hands in her lap. Kyuhyun went to be by her side.

“Joohyun-ah, are you ok?”

Changmin followed after him, treading on the broken parts scattered outside. Kyuhyun put an arm around Joohyun as she trembled. “M-M-Minyoung…”

“What about Minyoung?” Kyuhyun asked pushing strands of hair away from her face. Changmin watched, a bitter taste coming into mouth as Kyuhyun comforted Joohyun. Looking down at her hands he almost missed it; the single sheet of paper she was clutching.


“What is that?” Changmin stepped closer. Joohyun held it out to him. He accepted it and read the scruffy handwriting. The red ink smelt like blood. No it was blood!


“We have your child. Come to this place by eleven pm tomorrow night and we’ll return her in exchange for two litres of your blood. If you fail to comply or tell even one soul then we’ll be having her as an appetiser. This is sick.” Changmin flung the ransom note down in disgust.

 

“Minyoung, my Minyoung.” Joohyun burst into tears, sobs that shook her body. Kyuhyun pushed her head to lean against his shoulder. He gently her hair.


“We’ll find her, don’t worry.” He soothed. Taking his attention away from Joohyun he looked to his Changmin who had the same expression as he did. One of anger and determination. “We must find those bastards. We must find them and make them pay!”


 

So did you like the double update? Things are picking up and it’s going to be exciting updates from now on (if they haven’t been already) haha