Chapter Seven

Love and Learn

The walk to Jinki’s apartment was quiet for the most part. They walked side by side, the dim lights lighting up part of the footpath in front. The quiet mood setting in, till Jinki broke the silence, “You know I could ask Key if you can stay for a while longer at our apartment.”

“Why?” Joon was skeptical as to why this boy was so persistent to help him out; there was nothing he could gain. Infact he would be on the losing end, so why was he prepared to help him.

“I don’t know, don’t you need a place to stay.”

“I didn’t say that that.”

“Well you avoided the question, so I guessed the answer was that you didn’t.”

 

“Hmm.” Joon sighed, and then testily replied “Well it’s not like you’d believe I lived in a mansion outside the city.”

“If you said you did, I’d just have to believe you.” Jinki said smilingly softly at the dim walkway ahead. Joon eyes widened at the younger’s word. He had yet to earn his trust so why would he give it to Joon so willingly.

 

“You’re naïve.” Joon finally replied. Jinki’s eyes crinkled into crescents as he chuckled it off.

“Maybe.”

 

Joon looked at Jinki as he silently smiled to himself while walking probably in thought, “You go to University right?”

“hmm?” Jinki was surprised that Joon started a conversation, but quickly recovered “Yeah, I’m doing a science and law degree.”

“That must be a lot of hardwork.” It was hard for Joon to believe that he was actually enthusiastic about studies.

“Yeah it is,” Jinki’s smile wavered for a moment, “I don’t know people say I should drop a major and just focus on one.”

“Yeah you should.”

“Hey!” Jinki scolded playfully, “don’t you start too, it’s hard to choose which path I want to take.”

“Shouldn’t you have decided that in high school?” Joon felt a bit hypocritical.

 “Probably,” Jinki smiled.

 

 

Finally they reached the door to Jinki’s apartment building. He tumbled his hand in his pocket looking for keys.

Joon had started to walk off even before Jinki unlocked the door.

 

“Wait,” Jinki called out and jogged slightly to catch up with him.

 

Joon slowed down but didn’t stop walking, “Please come in.” Jinki softly begged, “I have so many roommate favors to cash in, I’m sure he’ll let you stay.”

“Nah, I don’t think I should.”

“If you really don’t want to,” Jinki sighed, “You don’t have to.”

 

Joon internally scoffed, of course Jinki didn’t really want him there. But when Joon stopped to glance at Jinki he seemed genuinely dejected.

“Oh, what the hell.” He sighed, “it’s not like I have anywhere better to go.”

Jinki spoke softly as a smile played on his lips, “Ok then.”

 

They walked up to Jinki’s floor as Jinki walked ahead and Joon walked a couple steps down.

 

As he opened the door the lights in the living room and kitchen were bright for this time of night. The sounds of Key on the talking could be heard. Jinki ushered Joon in and went towards the kitchen. Joon hovered in the living room, taking in the familiar sight.

 

“Hey Key,” Joon heard Jinki greet his roommate. “Are you done on the phone?”

“Yeah, my stupid boss just gave my a heap of extra work, it’s like he can’t do anything for himself” Key replied putting the phone on the phone stand, “Did you just get in?” Key looked at Jinki before gasping at the bruise on his nose and cheek.

“What the hell happened? Are you alright?” he rushed to Jinki and placed his thumb on his chin moving his head side to side as he inspected his face.

“I was punched.”

“At work?” Key inquired worriedly.

Jinki chuckled at his friend’s worry. “Kind of, Key I’m alright.”

“You’re not,” Key scolded, “Your face is blue.”

“Well I got into an altercation with a customer,” Key softly gasped,  “There’s nothing to worry about though, I was saved.”

“That’s good,” Key sighed, “Seriously Jinki, you have to be more careful.”

 

“You know, Joon’s the one that helped me out.” Jinki thought it was enough avoiding asking and putting Joon in a good light had the possibility of softening Key’s reaction to the request that was about to come.

“Joon?” Key questioned, “the injured guy? He was probably involved somehow.” By his scoff, it was obvious Key’s mind hadn’t changed on Joon’s character.

“Key! He’s not a bad guy” Jinki defended but it was uncanny how scarily accurate Key could be.

Key scoffed, “he probably isn’t a good guy either.” That sounded eerily similar to what Joon had said previously before leaving.

 

Jinki’s cause was not being helped by Key’s opinion of Joon and paused how was he supposed to tell Key that he invited him back. “Umm… so well, I was wondering if he could stay here… temporarily at least.”

“What?” Key raised his voice, “Jinki, I know your not an idiot but are you out of your mind?”

“He didn’t do anything while he was here and it wasn’t a huge inconvenience to you was it?”

“No… but seriously Jinki, he’s probably dangerous.” Key countered, “Do you not realize the two times you’ve met, one of you was injured.”

 

“Please Key,” Jinki didn’t want to resort to begging especially to the younger, but there wasn’t much to do, “I’ll owe you for life or something.”

“Urgh, Jinki,” Key groaned, “I felt like we had this conversation the first time you brought him here.”

“And last time you agreed,” Jinki smiled sheepishly, hoping it would happen again.

 

“Whatever, I’ll think about it” Key sighed in exasperation “At least you asked me first unlike last time.”

Jinki’s eyes went wide, he didn’t ask before. “Naturally, I would have asked you earlier. But…”

“No,” Key exclaimed in realisation, “You already brought him here!”

“Yes.” he admitted. He avoided looking at Key who was more annoyed than ever.

“Is he a stray dog to you?” Key scolded, “You can’t just bring him off the streets and expect to house and feed him.”

Jinki was quiet, Key was mildly correct but still he thought he should protest, but Key spoke again.

“People have thrown him out for a reason, he has no place for a reason.” Key continued not pausing for breath until he got his rant out, “do you really want him to stay here till you can find out that reason.”

“I don’t know,” Jinki finally got out, “but what if it was you alone out there, no matter what reason you have. Wouldn’t you want me or anyone to show you a bit of kindness?”

“It’s not a bit of kindness you’re showing him,” Key voice calmly reiterated, “A bit of kindness, would be giving him some food, maybe pointing him the direction of the nearest job hunting place, not giving him our home.”

Jinki looked hurt by Key’s words, Key face softened, “But I guess you’re better than that.”

“huh?”

“He can stay,” he finally accepted, Jinki’s eyes looked up with admiration. Key couldn’t help but wonder if he was making a mistake, but Jinki was too generous and definitely way too stubborn to convince otherwise.

 

 

 

Joon was paiently waiting albeit he was thoroughly prepared to leave by hearing their conversation. He was thankful for Jinki’s kind words but Key had been spot on, he felt like a stray dog, a mutt freeloading of Jinki’s kindness. Jinki seemed innocently naïve and oblivious and to anyone it would seem as Joon was taking advantage of that.

 

Jinki came out of the kitchen first. “You can stay” he said with enthusiasm, flashing a mega watt smile, that Joon had seen a few times but every time it somehow lightened his heart. Key followed behind, he faked a smile and grudgingly greeted Joon, “welcome to our home.” The cynicism evident in his voice but none the less Joon was surprised at how the conversation had turned out. This wasn’t what he expected but he smiled softly at both of them, “thanks.”

 

 

Jinki was in the shower and Joon was slightly uncomfortable to stay in the living room where Key was watching some late night drama. Joon could sense it was a ploy to make him leave the couch anyway.

 

“umm…” Jinki interrupted from the doorway at Joon from the doorway in a tshirt and mickey mouse pyjama bottoms. “So Key’s banned you from the couch, he doesn’t want you to sink it in.”

Joon figured but still couldn’t help at chuckle at that. “but at least he’s allowed me to stay.”

Jinki soft smile appeared at Joon’s laughter. “Since I begged you to stay, you can take the bed.”

“Where will you sleep?” Joon questioned suspiciously.

He gestured to the floor, “I’ll probably go buy some Korean style floor mats to sleep on from tomorrow, but for today a sheet and pillows will do.”

Joon’s guilt crept in, “Nah I’ll sleep on the floor, I’m used to it.”

“Yeah,” Jinki answered, “ but I wouldn’t feel right making you sleep there.”

“Well,” Joon spoke neutrally, “it’s either I sleep on the floor or I’ll just find somewhere else to stay, because I’m sure as hell not going to push you out of your bed.”

“You’re the guest,” Jinki protested, “You should be comfortable.”

“I would be more comfortable if you slept in your own bed.”

“But…”

“I’m the stray dog remember,” he interrupted the oncoming protest, “They are supposed to get the floor.”

 

A/N: I personally didn't like this chapter, it was all dialogue, but I couldn't think of any other way to write what I wanted to write, so this it maybe some of like it anyway. Anyway I'm sorry they are making no romantic headway, I have to work that slowly in, probably something in the next chapter. And guys I made a trailer for this story!!! Yes I'm not a great movie editor and it was my first shot, but check it out and tell me what you think about that and this chapter. (it's in the foreword)