The Cute French Horn Senior

An Orchestra Love Story

 

The next school day passed by quickly and Sungmin found himself once again in full orchestra rehearsal, this time frantically attempting to decipher the music to play his triangle part on time. After a rushed “music reading for dummies” session with Heechul two days before their first rehearsal, Sungmin had been hard-pressed to find more time to practice, resulting in today’s major headache of correctly playing the tricky syncopations in his music.

Cringing as he came in on the down beat instead of the offbeat for the 3rd time in a row, Sungmin was well aware of all the judgmental glances thrown his way as he meekly bowed his head behind his music.

He wasn’t used to doing so badly in something, but he really couldn’t help it. All the other students in the room had been musicians since middle school, some even elementary or kindergarten.

They could all afford private lessons and practiced every day without fail.

They had their supportive parents ready to throw money at anything their child needed as a musician.

He knew for a fact that Ryeowook had started on the flute at age 6, his tiny hands barely able to grasp the instrument properly as his parents watched on proudly during his first lesson. As a result, Sungmin had often felt so lonely back then in elementary, his best friend skipping out unwillingly on their play time together because of his parents' demands for him to practice. Their time together only diminished as Ryeowook added the piccolo to his repertoire; the cumulating stress of region competitions and solo contests had hung heavily on the shoulders of the preteen throughout their middle school years.

Of course, they had supported each other through it all, Sungmin cheering Ryeowook as he received high marks during district competitions, and Ryeowook bringing over snacks for Sungmin during his late night study sessions. But Sungmin never did really feel the same as his friends with all their expensive lessons and instruments. He knew it was simply useless jealousy, after all his friends never looked down on him for having less than they had, but unconsciously, he always knew even as a little child that he wasn’t as good as they were.

To himself, Sungmin was completely lacking.

Full orchestra brought back all those memories of inadequacies that he had tried to squash down over the years. It reminded Sungmin once again that he didn’t have the time and experiences everyone else here had, much less the resources.

He kept his issues to himself though, Heechul knowing nothing of these insecurities; otherwise the protective man would’ve never asked Sungmin to fill in as a triangle player in his orchestra. No, nobody else had to know how worthless he really was. Sungmin was well aware of the fact himself.

Furrowing his eyebrows as he mangled a particularly nasty section, Sungmin just wanted to give up. After all, he didn’t belong here with all the privileged kids. He was just like a boy trying on his father’s tuxedo jacket, looking every bit the silly and out of place child he was.

Seeing Ryeowook and the others look concernedly at him, Sungmin managed to give a weak smile in return, his face falling flat immediately after turning back to his music. Every minute of being in rehearsal was like a hit to his pride and self-worth. It made him feel like a nobody.

 


 

 

After 2 hours of intense rehearsing, Heechul decided a break was in order, the diva putting down his flamboyant baton and rubbing his hands together in a satisfied manner.

“Ok. That’s enough for the first half of rehearsal. Everyone take a 30 minute break alright? Be back on time!” Heechul announced as he closed his score, everyone giving a sigh of relief after finishing a particularly difficult portion of the concerto.

Sungmin sunk bank into his chair, his eyes closing as he rubbed his fingers over his forehead as he attempted to pacify the steadily increasing headache that had been bothering him all rehearsal. Curling up in a little ball on his chair, he rocked his body back and forth, trying to escape the feeling of nails being driven into his skull as tears threatened to trickle down his face.

He really hasn’t been getting enough sleep lately, dark purplish bags apparent under his eyes and his sallow skin unhealthily pale. His trips to the tapioca shop was the only time he let himself relax, otherwise, he would work himself to the bone to make sure everything was in order. There was always a never ending stream of things to do, and Sungmin had to do all of them perfectly. He doesn’t allow himself the liberty of making mistakes. Everything had to be in order.

 

“Hey are you ok?” a gentle voice interrupted Sungmin’s thoughts as a hesitant hand reached out to softly pat his hair.

Slowly lifting his head out from under his folded arms, Sungmin blinked as he readjusted himself to the bright fluorescent lighting of the room, trying to discern who had approached him just then.

To his surprise, it was Kibum who was talking to him, the older student eyeing his flushed face with slight concern as he looked over the boy’s tired countenance. Pressing a hand against Sungmin’s forehead, a frown appeared on the man’s face as he withdrew his hand, the blonde letting out a small whine as sudden pressure was applied to his sensitive forehead.

“You’re a bit feverish you know.” The senior informed him as he gave Sungmin a worried look.  

“Ah...” Giving the man a grateful smile, Sungmin replied “I’ll be fine with a little rest. Thank you though.”

“Are you sure?” the senior pressed, hesitating to let Sungmin just brush it off like that.

“Ah. Yes, I’ll be alright. You don’t have to worry.” Sungmin answered, confusion evident on his face as he pondered the cause of Kibum’s sudden display of concern towards him.

The senior French horn player was usually quite the solitary person, choosing to keep to himself and his close circle of friends rather than socialize While his handsome features and a winning smile won him hordes of admirers, the young man always chose to stay by himself, a book or his music always by him as he politely refused the confessions that were given to him.

He was well liked by teachers, his polite manners and hardworking attitude making him one of the top students in their class. Kibum was talented in music too, the senior ranking top 20 in the state all 4 years of high school. Heechul often depended on him to lead the brass section in sectionals and clinics, the young man always willing to help out with any problems people would have.

However, if Sungmin recalled properly, Kibum was friends with Kyuhyun. While the two were complete opposites in how they treated others, both of their quiet natures made them quite compatible as friends, never disturbing the other with useless chatter or gossip (Henry was there for that).

After Sungmin had just managed to irritate his best friend, why was Kibum suddenly being so kind to him? Was he just living up to his reputation as the gentle prince? Sungmin sighed. Kyuhyun and his friends were just too confusing.

 


 

 

Across the room, someone else was witnessing this touching little exchange with a scowl on his face, clearly not happy with the development. Kyuhyun didn’t even understand why he was reacting this way.

Why did his heart clench a little when he saw Kibum feel Sungmin’s forehead with a tender expression on his face? Why did he want to be the one patting Sungmin's hair comfortingly? And most importantly, why did he want Kibum away from Sungmin so urgently? 

Kibum was his best friend after all. He shouldn’t care about what Kibum wanted to do, much less if it had to do with that little demon rabbit. In his fury, Kyuhyun didn’t even realized his arms were crossed angrily across his chest as he paced back and forth between his stand and Henry’s seat, puzzling his dongsaeng as to why his hyung looked like he was about to murder a bunch of innocent children (not him please!).

That bunny rabbit couldn’t be affecting him this much. No no, he was simply concerned about his hyung. That’s right. He just didn’t want Kibum to endanger himself by hanging around with the wrong type of people.

“Aish. That’s it. Kibum shouldn’t corrupt himself with that bunny. I’m going to put an end to this now. “ Kyuhyun muttered as he stomped his way over to the percussion section.

 


 

 

“Well Sungmin, before I saw that you looked so sick, I was going to offer to help you out with some of the music.” Kibum said kindly as the two of them sat between the bass drum and the gong, a conversation naturally forming as Sungmin warmed up to the sweet French horn player.

“You looked so confused during rehearsal that I really wanted to maybe give you a few tutoring sessions over how to count rhythms.”

“Hyung, you don’t have to! Besides, my schedule is really full and I’m sure you’re preoccupied with college applications and such. The only time we would have would be during my lunch period and you have classes then.” Sungmin told Kibum regretfully.

To be honest, he really did need the help, his cousin being too busy with his job to give him much tutoring besides the initial instruction and all his other friends preoccupied with their own practice. However, with his schedule, the only time left he could give up would be lunch, and each grade level had a different lunch schedule, thus making tutoring with the senior all but impossible to work out.

“Maybe I could ask someone else to help you? I’m sure many people would love to help out someone as adorable as you.” Kibum offered with a smile as Sungmin blushed at the compliment, his already flushed face turning an even brighter red.

“I don’t want to trouble you hyung. I’m sure your friends have lots to do- eep!” Sungmin squeaked in surprise as he felt 2 arms wrap securely around his waist in a tight embrace.

He turned around in shock to see Kyuhyun with a smirk on his face, the cellist tucking his chin on Sungmin’s shoulders he hugged the furiously blushing blonde even closer. Sungmin could smell Kyuhyun's cologne on his shirt, a comforting mix of rosewood and rosin, the scent reminding him of the cello itself with its rich sonorous tone and deep melodies. Their close proximities reminded Sungmin once again of what had happened the last time they happened to be this close, and he bit his lips in embarrassment.

No, Cho Kyuhyun was definitely not good for his sanity. 

The poor French horn player looked at the two in confusion.

“Kyuhyun, have you two met?”

Giving his hyung an innocent smile, Kyuhyun laughed as he leaned close to Sungmin’s ear.

“Stay still my pet if you know what’s good for you.”

Turning back to Kibum, he gave the senior a wide grin as he ruffled the blonde’s hair.

“Hyung, don’t you worry about tutoring this bunny. I can help him every lunch period. We’ll have a great time won’t we Sungmin-ah?”

 


 

AN: SO EXHAUSTED FROM REHEARSAL T.T" so I'm not as satisfied with this update :/ 
but I promise to do better once I get my torrent of tests done with this week. Kimin section inspired by a super sweet compliment given to me by the adorable french horn player in my full orchestra, but don't worry, kyumin will be back full swing once their tutoring starts ;) oh what miseries min will be put through by evil kyu... kekekeke
anyways, can't believe I got so much support for my very FIRST fanfic <3 you guys make me feel so loved :) 

REVISION: If anyone is confused, Kibum is actually older than Kyuhyun and Sungmin in this fanfiction! He is a senior in high school while Min and Kyu are sophomores. Hope this clears up any misunderstandings :)