Rolling like a Burrito

An Orchestra Love Story

 

If orchestra was a food chain, Cho Kyuhyun would definitely be at the top of it.

He was leagues above the crowd of violins milling around at the bottom, the slightly cuckoo viola section that would randomly burst out in laughter during the 100th measure of syncopated 8th notes they had to play, and even above director Chul (who of course had started plotting Kyuhyun's demise ever since).

To say he was a genius musician would be an understatement. Cho Kyuhyun outshone just about everyone else in the orchestra, with the exception of little Henry and Kibum the French horn player, his best and only friends. He was the youngest musician to win the Seoul young artist competition, the principal region cellist since 6th grade, and ever since last year, the first musician to rank #1 in the state their freshmen year.

Even without those accolades, Kyuhyun's quiet yet icy demeanor and handsome looks brought him much popularity despite his reluctance to interact outside his limited circle of friends.

While Henry's bouncy personality was almost the direct antithesis of Kyuhyun's, Kibum was just as quiet, albeit kinder and without Kyuhyun's snarky attitude. If the girls liked Kyuhyun for his ice prince image, then Kibum was the gentleman, his quiet smiles charming the hearts of all the girls in the school.

All of this Sungmin learned from Ryeowook as the two of them quickly walked to their lockers to get their backpacks after the end of rehearsal.

He was quite curious about the tardy student and mentally noted to observe this Cho Kyuhyun more during upcoming rehearsals. As they came back from their lockers that were inconveniently located in the Math hall all the way across the school building, Sungmin settled himself on the conductor’s podium, perching on a bass stool that gave him a view over everyone else (for once).  

Ryeowook, having to help Heechul transcribe a B flat clarinet part to A because he was a music theory student, had to stay another 30 minutes after rehearsal concluded at 5, and Sungmin stayed with him to keep him company.

He watched as the other musicians packed their instruments, all eager to get along with their lives whether it was to diligently finish homework (Kibum), go feed their pet fish (Donghae), or get their daily fix of shopping (Zhoumi).

The room cleared quickly and Sungmin found himself dozing off again. Stretching tiredly, he hopped off the stool and curled up on a cushy cello chair, not noticing the sheet music that he laid on.

Sophomore year had been exhausting for Sungmin, his many AP classes taking away much of his sleeping time that he enjoyed so much freshmen year. All of his time now went to maintaining his perfect GPA and rank; after all, he desperately needed a scholarship if he wanted to be able to go to college.

Finding this to be the perfect opportunity for a little nap, he quickly fell asleep, not noticing the curses that were emitted from the other end of the room.

 


 

“Crap. I lost my music. Henry, have you seen it?” Kyuhyun yelled angrily as he pulled at his hair in frustration.

After all the unnecessary attention on him at the start of rehearsal, he was already in an awful mood, not wanting to deal with the shameless ogling from his primitive classmates.

What he wouldn’t do just to have a little bit of peace and quiet in orchestra these days! And now losing his music. Was the world just against him today?

Letting lose a string of curse words, Kyuhyun frantically strode around the room, poking around the piles of stands and chairs left from the rampage to escape rehearsal. Sheet music were scattered all around the room, but none of it was his. Plopping down on a bass stool, he sighed in frustration.

“Nopes Kyu! Did you look around your own stand maybe?” Henry cheekily called out to Kyuhyun as he carefully put up his violin, covering it with the silk sheet and lovingly caressing the fingerboard.

Kyuhyun had always thought the boy was a bit loose in the head. He called his violin his baby, and was protective of it as if it was a real child.

However, Kyuhyun did really have to face palm at his own stupidity. Of course it would be there! Where else would his music be but his own chair? Quickly jogging over to the cello section, he reached out to grab his music before he realized that there was something on his chair.

Correction, it was a someone. Wrinkling his nose in confusion, he eyed the little blonde thing curled up on his chair and reached out a finger to poke his cheek.

Squirming around like a baby squirrel, the blonde boy pouted cutely and moved his head away from Kyuhyun’s finger, mumbling something along the lines of “Chullie. 5 more minutes!”

“Aish. You’re sleeping on my music you little overgrown rabbit. Now get up and move” Kyuhyun snarled, completely unaffected by the mass amount of aegyo in front of him.

Hearing the commotion, Henry scurried over and immediately cooed at the sleeping boy, completely spellbound by the cuteness being radiated by the napping beauty.

“Awwww. He’s so cute Kyu! Just look at him. Can we keep him please?” Henry squealed, jumping up and down as if he chipmunk high on Nutella.

Shaking his head at his friend’s stupidity, Kyuhyun simply ignored him and grasped the blonde by his sides, holding onto his shoulder and thighs as he contemplated the situation. Tapping his foot against the chair, Kyuhyun contemplated what to do for a minute before a evil smirk lit up on his face. 

“Yups, that isn’t too mean.” Kyuhyun concluded as he mentally congratulated himself for a well thought out solution to his dilemma.

“Yah. What are you doing Cho Kyuhyun!” Henry nagged as Kyuhyun leaned closer to the sleeping beauty, his body curved over the boy’s.

“Oh my god. Are you going to kiss him. But we don’t even know him. What are you doing? Kyu?!?!?”

Before Henry could speak another word, Kyuhyun pushed the boy cleanly off the chair, the child tumbling and rolling like a burrito before falling flat on his face with a loud groan.

Dusting off his hands, Kyuhyun picked up his music, and turned around, ready to finally leave the orchestra room. After all, he had already been delayed for quite a while because of this little nuisance.

As he reached the door, a sniffling sound reached his ear and he turned around, his curious gaze landing on the boy still on the ground, now with tears rolling down his chubby cheeks. Before the blonde could even say anything, Kyuhyun cut him off.

“Don’t expect me to say sorry. Next time, don’t put your dirty self on what is mine.”

 

 


 

AN: Hey everyone! Thanks for supporting this story :) After being in orchestra for... 5 years now? I felt totally inspired to mix my 2 favorite things, orchestra and super junior, together in a fic :D Can anyone guess what instrument I play? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km0fb9GJsYM <--- the piece the orchestra is playing in the story!