A Love Like Coffee

An Orchestra Love Story

 

“And then, he didn’t even say sorry!” Sungmin indignantly told his friends as they sat around a circular booth in their favorite bubble tea shop. “He called me dirty! What kind of person does that right after they shove an innocent person off a chair?”

“Awwn Minnie. You’ll get used to it. That’s just how Cho Kyuhyun is. If he’s not even polite to your cousin who’s the director, there’s no way he’ll be nice to us lowly musicians. He’s always been like this.” Ryeowook comforted him with a dry chuckle as he patted the frowning blonde’s hair.

“But it’s just so unfair! Who does he think he is? I don’t care if he’s won every single award in the state. He’s still a jerk!” Sungmin bit his straw angrily as he chewed the little tapioca pearls.

It was a habit of his to visit this bubble tea shop after school. While his friends liked it for the games and free Wi-Fi it provided, Sungmin simply went there for the delicious milk tea with extra bubbles, hold the ice. Contentedly sipping his drink, Sungmin closed his eyes and allowed himself to relax before he started his pile of homework currently sitting beside him on the table.

His teachers were really evil this year, piling on the workload, and now with the extra 2 hours used on orchestra rehearsals, Sungmin really didn’t know how he would get everything done. His friends knew he was serious about his studies, and took great care not to disturb him when he was working.

He really thanked them for that, especially their kind gestures when they think he had been overworked. Recalling the time they went out for a karaoke session to stress relieve after finals ended, Sungmin smiled happily at the fond memory.

He really did have great friends. Who was Cho Kyuhyun to be ruining his day?

Not looking forwards to another all-nighter though, he ran his fingers through his messy hair and pulled out his World History textbook, flipping to the section on Russian Tsars.

“Aish. How will this even help me in life?” Sungmin mumbled, his pencil flying across the page as he quickly jotted down notes on the rise of Russia.

The textbook was thick and monotonous, with small text that strained his eyes and diagrams that gave him headaches like no other. However, he couldn’t afford to slack off the way Donghae and Eunhyuk were right now, playing with some Nemo pillow the store manager had placed on the sofa (he squealed though, Eunhae was just so adorable).

No, Sungmin was determined to do well in life to repay his cousin for taking him in without question when he was born. It was all thanks to Heechul that he wasn’t given to an orphanage. He couldn’t be more of a burden to his cousin. No, Sungmin had to do well.

The blonde man soon fell into the rhythm of tedious note taking as his friends worked and played besides him, their laughter and the sounds of the shop blending into a quiet buzz in Sungmin’s ear as his hands started to cramp. Taking a small break from Catherine the Great and her problems with rebelling nobles, he stretched and noticed a bright red blush creeping up on Ryeowook’s flushed cheeks as he drank his coffee, an embarrassed yet happy expression on his face.  

Leaning a little closer, the blonde smiled sneakily as he eyed the item Ryeowook was now twirling between his fingers.  

 


 

“Here sir! Your latte with a shot of vanilla.” The dark haired man bowed as he handed Ryeowook the drink.

Inhaling the fragrant smell of coffee, Ryeowook beamed as he took the cup from the waiter, their fingers briefly brushing as the beverage was passed. While Sungmin was all for the sugar overload of bubble tea, he preferred something a little bit richer, the warm comforting essence of coffee perfect for him on the cold January afternoon.

If someone asked him what makes him happy in life, Ryeowook would tell them a perfectly made cup of coffee, something he has yet to taste.

Glancing back at the waiter, Ryeowook replied with a quick ‘thank you’ as he reached to tip the sugar packets into his coffee. Noticing that the container at their table was out of stirring rods, he quickly reached out an arm to stop the man from leaving. Reading the nametag clipped on his black collared shirt, Ryeowook sweetly called out to the surprised man.

“Yesung. Can you bring me a stirring rod please?”  

With a slight blush on his cheeks, the waiter mumbled an affirmative and quickly retrieved the item requested and handed it over, his eyes on his shoes the entire time. Ryeowook found this to be quite adorable and unconsciously smiled as Yesung retreated back to the coffee machine where he had been diligently cranking out orders. Clearly this was the man’s first day at work.

Casually flipping through his Pre-Calculus textbook as he stirred his latte, Ryeowook took a sip of the drink, warming his hands on the ceramic mug. Eyes widening in surprised, he paused before taking another drink, and another. Lips curling up in a grin, Ryeowook stared at the cup as if he had hit the jackpot.

After years of coming to this shop, this drink was perfect. To Ryeowook, it was pure love in a cup. Shaking himself out of his revelry, he turned to look at Yesung, now busily making more coffee behind the counter.

“What magic is he working back there…?” he wondered aloud as he eyed the man dreamily. Goodness, he could marry him just for the coffee...

Catching Ryeowook’s stare, Yesung blushed even more, quickly ducking his face behind the machine as he busily concocted all sorts of lattes and macchiatos for the onslaught of customers. Before Ryeowook could turn away though, Yesung quickly popped his head back out, holding another stirring rod and motioning for Ryeowook to look at the one he had given him to use.

Raising his eyebrows in curiosity, Ryeowook picked up the discarded piece of wood and flipped it over, gasping as he saw a tiny string of words hastily scribbled on the stick.

In rushed cursive handwriting, the sentence “You have a beautiful smile” was printed on the stirring rod, a smiley face bashfully drawn at the end.

To those passing by, Ryeowook’s face now resembled a ripe tomato, a shy grin stretching across his face and his hands happily curled around the coffee mug. He’s never had someone express interest in him before, much less in such a sweet way.

“Bonus points for the amazing coffee he can make.” Ryeowook thought as he finished his coffee, his day made by this simple yet amazing encounter with the new waiter.

Ryeowook’s little happy bubble was soon interrupted though by Sungmin’s loud snickering though. Not even trying to hide his glee, Sungmin poked Ryeowook’s cheek, his trouble with Kyuhyun all forgotten as he teased his friend about his new crush.

“Yah. Wook, what was all that huh?” Sungmin giggled as he stuck his tongue out at his blushing best friend. “I saw you two make those googly eyes at each other. Tell me, are you going to be off the market soon?”  

“No-no. It’s nothing like that Minnie! Oh for Shisus’s sake don’t wag your eyebrows at me. You don’t know how creepy you look right now” Ryeowook stuttered as he tried to ignore his friend’s relentless teasing.

Before Sungmin could mess with Ryeowook even more though, 2 newcomers entered the store, the younger literally dragging the taller into the store as he pleaded for his hyung to stop resisting. The ruckus they were making was enough to make the entire store stop and stare at them, wondering how such a small boy could make so much noise.

Sungmin turned around to yell at the source of the clamor, hating any sort of disturbance in the shop. This comforting little neighborhood café was his quiet place. A place to enjoy himself and get some work done. It was definitely not a place where some rowdy kid could come stomping in and ruin his peace.

Before he could open his mouth to reprimand the intruders though, his jaw dropped in surprise as he realized just exactly who had invaded his quiet little bubble, now for the 2nd time in one day. No, this person deserved so much more than a sharp reproach from him. A simple ‘shut up’ was way too kind.

Shaking his fist angrily at the still oblivious duo, Sungmin gritted his teeth and muttered darkly.

“Cho Kyuhyun. You’re going to get it this time.”

 


 

AN: Yay for the Yewook in this chapter :) Kyumin though, they'll take a while to warm up to each other. Don't worry, it will happen! 
And now for the reveal. I actually play violin :P Those habits of Henry's I mentioned? Yups, they're mine kekeke. (If only I was as talented as he was though *cry*) 
As always, thanks for reading, subscribing, and commenting <3