Project #1

An Orchestra Love Story

 

After a short walk in the grey impersonal hallways of the law firm, Kyuhyun arrived at the Public Relations department, the office space business-like and dull like the rest of the building.

Standing directly in front of the entrance was Victoria and besides her a middle aged man whom Kyuhyun assumed to be their department head.

The young lady had already begun introducing herself to the man but paused as both of them acknowledged Kyuhyun’s arrival. Victoria shifted politely to the side, allowing their director to greet the young man with a firm handshake.

 

“Mr. Cho, welcome. I’m Song Seung-heon, the Public Relations department head.”

 

Giving the man a deep bow, Kyuhyun quickly returned the greeting, politely telling the elder that he hopes his work will prove satisfactory as he gave his superior a quick once over.

 

Mr. Song Seung-heon appeared to be in his late 30s, his face still retaining a youthful handsomeness beneath his mature image. He was dressed like the other employees Kyuhyun had seen so far, a classic black suit seeming to be the outfit of choice for everyone at Kim International.

The director was a bit shorter than Kyuhyun, but still taller than the average Asian man. He didn’t seem quite as cold as the man they had met earlier in the lobby who was in charge of all the interns.

Kyuhyun could only hope that his first impressions were correct.

 

Pleased with both of his charges courteous manners, Mr. Song ushered them inside the glass walled office, Kyuhyun and Victoria walking dutifully behind him.

The office space was high tech, every cubicle spacious and equipped with the latest technology.

They could see other employees that looked fresh out of college working there, fingers tapping furiously on the keyboards as they planned out event after event for the major international company.

 

“In this department, one must follow the current swing of society very closely to succeed. We deal with our company’s public image and are responsible for keeping it immaculate and high class. Professionalism is the trademark of Kim International and you are expected to uphold it.”

 

They passed by a young male employee sketching on a dry erase board, the outlines of an outdoors gala venue clearly defined by the man’s deft pen .

He was confidently explaining his planning to the others around him, all listening carefully and voicing their own opinions on specifics. It seemed to be a charity event for Kim Jaejoong’s upcoming election, the drawing filled with labels of the seating arrangements for the eminent faces of society.

 

“That is the beginning outlines of Mr. Kim’s event for promoting the value of education for the children of today. It will be held in 2 weeks in the National Rose Garden that was donated by the CEO himself. It’s a good opportunity to gain the votes of the nation’s parents.”

 

Stopping once they reached the last row of desks right next to the department head’s office, Mr. Song motioned for the two young teenagers to take a seat.

 

“Once you start working for this company, you are expected to help coordinate and plan publicity events like what you two have just seen. This year is a particularly busy year for us because of the upcoming elections. You must work hard to fulfill our CEO’s expectations.”

 

Both Kyuhyun and Victoria inclined their heads, acknowledging the elder’s words. 

 

Victoria turned to the boy besides her, giving him a slight smile before shifting back to face their superior.

 

“I’m sure we will do  our best sir. You can have full faith in us.”

 

Mr. Song returned a friendly smile.

 

“I’m glad to hear that.”

 

Clearing his throat, he reached around the new interns’ desk drawers and pulled out a manila folder, spreading out its contents on the glossy pale gold table.

 

“Your first project will be to design and coordinate a venue for Mr. Kim’s media question and answer session one month from now.

It’ll be one of the major stops on his campaign run so every aspect must be planned and organized to the smallest detail to ensure a smooth event.

 I need you two to find a proper venue to host the event in and also come up with the proper decorations for a professional yet elegant atmosphere. It will be a formal event so make sure the environment is designed as such.

You will have full control of our department budget for this but you will need to run your layout by me first before you proceed.”

 

Kyuhyun and Victoria sat side by side, arms resting on the desk as they absorbed Mr. Song’s every word and instruction.

The young man’s mind was racing, brain rapidly processing the task that was demanded of them. During normal everyday business interaction, the department he had been placed in had no real importance.

It was only during times when the press was involved was there an actual need for the PR sector of a company, this branch essentially powerless in the grand scheme of things.

At most they were used for organizing end of year functions and other glamorous but unnecessary events.

However, as Kyuhyun smiled wryly, this was not under normal circumstances. Kim Jaejoong had chosen to bring in the new interns at a time when publicity was the most important component of his company.

The young man knew he had his work cut out for him.

 

“Are there any questions?”

 

Victoria and Kyuhyun both gave each other a brief glance before nodding no, both smiling confidently and professionally at Mr. Song.

The department head stood up after reassuring both of them that he’d be available in his office if they needed any clarification on their upcoming project and left, leaving the two teenagers to set up their work space and start brainstorming for the assignment.

 

Both immediately set to work, organizing their stationary into the proper drawers and cubby holes, shifting loose papers into neat stacks.

They didn’t talk much for the first hour, only uttering a few polite excuse me’s as they shifted around their shared desk space.

Both Kyuhyun and Victoria were efficient and effective workers, their set up resulting in a completely neat and orderly working area in less than an hour.

Giving a sigh of satisfaction, Victoria sat down on the computer chair that was on her side of the desk and the sleek desk top, the machine whirling quietly as it .

Intertwining her fingers in a contemplative way, she rotated the chair so that she was facing the dark haired man besides her, crossing her legs politely as she opened to speak.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun, correct?”

 

“Yes. Victoria Song I presume?”

 

The young lady smiled demurely.

 

“Yes. I hope that we will work well together.”

 

She offered a pale slender hand to Kyuhyun, giving a firm handshake unusual of her frail feminine looks.

 

“So what are your ideas for this project Miss Song?”

 

The young teenager gave the other a wily smile.

 

“Please, call me Victoria.”

 

Kyuhyun responded in kind.

 

“Very well. Likewise if you please.”

 

“Well then Kyuhyun, I was considering perhaps a gala setting for the press conference. It will be formal enough with lots of space for the reporters and other media coverage that will be present.

We can also set up tables on the side for refreshments and the usual ball room can be converted into a stage-podium setting easily.

Costs will be minimal and many decorations will be available to us simply by renting the place. Of course we will have to put some personal company-related accents but those details can be easily taken care of.”

 

Kyuhyun tilted his head, thinking pensively for a moment.

 

He spoke slowly, running each word carefully in his mind before uttering them.

 

“I agree with your idea and indeed a gala setting would be best for this kind of event. We need a space that offers lots of room for the media and by renting a ballroom that would be easily achieved.”

 

Pausing slightly, Kyuhyun tapped a finger on the desk as his brain whirled in thought.

 

“I believe that there is one place in Seoul that will be perfect for our purpose. I had gone there many times with my parents for performances. Their gala ballroom will suit us very well. It’s located in the heart of the finance district I believe. The S-“

 

“The Starling.”

 

Intrigued, Kyuhyun looked up, meeting the round amused black eyes of the girl opposite of him.

 

“Exactly.”

 

Crossing his legs, the young cellist gave her an interested once over, head tilted in thought.

 

“Have we met before Victoria?”

 

Smiling, the young lady stood up before giving the surprised man an amused smirk.

 

“Well Mr. Principal Cellist, I will be your duet harpist for the upcoming Symphony solo recital.”

 

With an unreadable glint in her eye, she inclined her head to the seated boy besides her.

 

“Nice to meet you again and please take care of me, Kyuhyun.” 

 

 

 


AN: YAY for fast update! XD and this time I'm abandoning SAT studying to do this lololol. Hope everyone's having a great weekend <3 Hopefully I will update quickly again but I have APs next week and the following week too... sigh. I need school to end :'( But I have my music national honor society banquet to look forwards to except planning it as president of the society is exhausting x.x Thanks for everyone's comments and upvotes <3 muah!