Angry Birds: Please Proceed With Caution

An Orchestra Love Story

 

“Hyung! It’ll be quick, just come! They have StarCraft and Wi-Fi in there. I just need my tapioca fix for the day. Don’t be a spoil sport!”  Henry whined as he dragged Kyuhyun to the counter of the café.

Being the energetic little freshmen he was, the boy needed lots of sugar every day and drank tapioca as if it was water (he liked to think that he was Popeye and tapioca was his spinach). Therefore, this bubble tea shop was the answer to his sugar depravation and not liking to be alone, Henry had dragged an unwilling Kyuhyun along with him.

“Aish. Why don’t you bother Kibum! Where is he anyways?” Kyuhyun sighed as he tried to shake Henry off his arm.

He should be used to this, in all honesty though. After all, this was not the first time he had been dragged along on Henry’s little adventures, a grimace unconsciously appearing on his face as he thought about the last one.

No, thanks to innocent little Henry, he could never see the mall the same again after the younger dragged him on a mission to see just exactly what secret some “Victoria” noona was hiding. Apparently Heechul had told him it was a great idea, and that it would greatly increase his understanding of the world. Kyuhyun scoffed. Some people just wanted to watch the world burn.

“Bummie hyung is home studying! His class is doing a dramatic recitation of Romeo and Juliet so he’s preparing to memorize a scene. Now hyung, come with me. I have no one else to bother!” Henry happily told Kyuhyun as he eagerly told the cashier his order.

Kyuhyun had long given up trying to get out of Henry’s grasp; the boy was stuck to him like a koala to a eucalyptus tree, and he might as well get something to drink while he’s here.

Shaking his head as he reached for his wallet, he bought himself an Americano and paid for Henry’s bubble tea as well. Henry beamed as the waiter handed him his drink with extra bubbles (he liked chewing on them) and quickly pulled Kyuhyun to a seat by a computer.

“Now hyung, you can have your StarCraft time while I have enjoy my drink.” Henry cheerfully informed Kyuhyun as if he was the parent granting their child some special privilege.

Rolling his eyes, Kyuhyun took a sip of his Americano and logged onto the computer, quickly opening up the game interface that was his life’s 2nd greatest joy, the first obviously being his precious cello. While he had interest in very few things, those that Kyuhyun did like, he was very good at. People who knew him well, like Henry, often questioned how he got so good at cello when he seems to spend half his time plotting strategies on video games. Well, the answer was simple. Cho Kyuhyun was good at everything (or so he liked to think).  

Soon the sound of rapid mouse clicking and keyboard tapping could be heard as the man sat hunched over behind the screen, completely absorbed in the game as he shot down his enemy aliens on the screen. He was so distracted by the game that he didn’t notice a certain stealthy blonde creep up behind his computer, eyes focused on the power cord with a devilish look.

The man waited silently until Kyuhyun’s face lit up with a grin that signaled certain victory, and then pulled the cord with a determined yank. The computer screen immediately turned black, all traces of Kyuhyun’s near victory erased from gaming history forever.

“What! You’ve got to be kidding me. The computer breaks now? “ Kyuhyun raged as he slammed his hands on the keyboard.

This couldn’t be happening! His gaming prowess lost, lost forever due to some stupid computer failure? Kyuhyun pulled his hair in frustration, a stream of curse words nearly escaping his mouth before he reminded himself that he was in a public place. It was all Henry’s fault for taking him to this shady bubble tea shop where they couldn’t even provide working computers.

With a dark aura surrounding him, the wolf turned to the innocent little chipmunk, ready to let out all his rage on his little baby dongsaeng. Henry though, was expecting it. He had survived through many of Kyuhyun’s moods and now shrugged them off with all the nonchalance in the world.

“Yah. Hyung, chill. You’re acting like a 5 year old right now.” Henry mumbled at him through a mouth full of tapioca pearls, his eyes not leaving his IPod as he furiously played Angry Birds.

“Man some of those red ones really looked like Siwon hyung…” he noted with amusement as he successfully passed the jungle level, ignoring the suffering Kyuhyun with ease. He would be exhausted if he had to comfort Kyuhyun every time happened.

After, his hyung was a big boy right? He could take care of himself.

With this comforting thought, Henry happily went back to his world of catapulting birds, letting Kyuhyun pout unflatteringly at the computer by himself.  

 


 

Underneath the table, Sungmin was giggling silently like a mad rabbit to himself, his hand clasped tightly over his mouth to keep his presence unknown to the seething man above him.

He didn’t expect his little ploy to be achieved so easily. That idiot Cho had been so into his game that a tap dancing panda probably wouldn’t even get him to look up from his screen!

Giddy with his triumph in spoiling the cellist’s game, Sungmin resembled a little kid that had just been rewarded with candy, a wide toothy smile across his face and eyes glittering with satisfaction.  Laying the computer plug next to the outlet, he soundlessly crawled away from the table, poking his head out once the coast was all clear.

Latching onto his friend Donghae who had passed by after buying a strawberry sundae for his Hyukkie, Sungmin crouched behind him, using the oblivious boy as a human shield as they moved away from the crime scene. Sighing in relief as he thought he had gotten away cleanly, Sungmin squealed as he felt a hand grab onto the back of his collar, pulling him away from the equally surprised Donghae.

“Min? What are you doing? Why were you hiding behind m- oh..Kyuhyun?” Donghae gulped nervously as he eyed his friend being held like misbehaving child, Sungmin’s collar tightly gripped in Kyuhyun’s hands.

“Why don’t you ask your little friend that huh? Ask him what he was doing under my table when my computer just oh so mysteriously happened to black out.” Kyuhyun replied as he narrowed his eyes at the now nervous Sungmin.

The blonde bit his lips anxiously, it didn’t look like he could get out of this one easily now. Palms sweaty, he tried to push Kyuhyun away from him, achieving nothing from his actions except an even tighter grip on his shirt and an additional hand gripping his wrist.

He yelped as he was harshly spun around, his front now facing Kyuhyun as he eyed the man’s woolen coat nervously. Both his wrists were locked in the grip of the taller student, his back to the café wall. In all aspects, Sungmin was stuck.

“So, what do you have to say for yourself,” Kyuhyun drawled, an impish smirk gracing his lips. “Sungmin?”

He avoided Kyuhyun’s eyes as he stared at the man’s black Converses, thinking of a good excuse to get himself out of his mess. Any thought of yelling at the man for disturbing his peace was out the window; all Sungmin wanted now was to get out of this embarrassing situation and not be manhandled like a rag doll the way he was being treated right now.

Alas, his wish was not to be granted. Leaning down so that their faces were at the same height, Kyuhyun looked every bit the devil in disguise as he gleefully smirked at the tense boy pinned between his arms.

“Not so cocky now are you? Was that little stunt supposed to be revenge for what happened in the orchestra room? Guess you really haven’t been in the orchestra circle long enough. No one messes with me and gets away with it.”

At this, Sungmin snapped. Oh, he didn’t care if he’d get in trouble for this. He had to teach this brat a lesson. Kneeing Kyuhyun hard in the stomach, he wrested his hands out of Kyuhyun’s grasp and slapped him hard across the face, a bright pink handprint visible on the other’s face. Eyeing the shocked man with disdain, Sungmin wiped his hands on his jeans and spat angrily at the surprised figure.

“Last time I checked, talent wasn’t an excuse to do whatever you want Mr. Cho. Others in orchestra might think you’re so great but your attitude ruins any bit of character that’s even remotely likeable about you.”

“So this is a feisty rabbit,” Kyuhyun noted as he watched Sungmin turn around. Rubbing his injured stomach with a dry laugh, he stretched his arms.

“Well, you’re not getting away that easily after insulting me like that you insolent bunny.”

Grabbing Sungmin by the collar once more, Kyuhyun was ready to exploit his height advantage to the fullest degree, his inner mind cackling as he thought of all the ways he could frighten this insignificant boy into submission.  

However, fate was really not with both of them that day.

Henry, having finally beaten the whole game of Angry Birds while in the bathroom, was jumping up and down in joy, ecstatically spazzing at his own success. His Kyuhyun hyung would be so proud of him, finishing a game like that after trying so hard for 3 years. Granted, it wasn’t as hard as Angry Birds space where he had to factor in gravity (oh the mental exercise!), but even shooting those darn little pigs on Earth was really hard! Henry almost squealed out loud in delight as he thought about all the ways he could reward himself for completing such a difficult task.

Flailing his arms around, he failed to notice that his hyung was standing right in front of the restroom entrance wall before he kicked the door wide open and plowed forwards headfirst, mowing down Kyuhyun like a dinosaur crushing a flower.  

Before Kyuhyun’s mind could even mentally process what exactly had just happened, he found himself parallel to the floor, his body on top of Sungmin’s as a pair of wide eyes stared back at his in panic, their lips pressed firmly together.

Kyuhyun panicked.

“Was my first kiss really with that rabbit faced brat?”

Similar thoughts ran across Sungmin’s mind as he stared up at Kyuhyun, still in shock as he tried to process what had just happened.

“Did I really lose my first kiss to that arrogant rude cellist?”

 


 

Scratching head in confusion, Henry turned his head like a puzzled squirrel as he finally slowed down from his mad dash out of the men’s room.

“Where did my hyung go?”

 


AN: Haha Kyumin finally interacts more! Things will be back to an orchestra setting next chapter, just in time for my own full orchestra rehearsal hahaha. 
On a happy note, thanks to randomized seating I'm right in front of a super adorable french horn player <3 See you guys next time!