Friends

Soulmates From The Start

 

Serenity:

Today is the day Kevin and I were to pick up my best friend Henry and his wife, Anna.

Once Kevin and I got married Henry and his wife moved to Europe with her parents. They came to Korea to come visit and to see the birth of my baby.

Once Kevin and I get into the car he drives carefully making sure he doesn’t jostle me too much.

“How are you feeling honey?’ He asks.

I smile happily and rest my head on the door.

“I’m fine, a little nauseas but it will pass.”

Kevin chuckles and grabs my hand in his; the electricity seems to never leave us. It always feels like we’re holding hands for the first time.

“Don’t worry, as soon as Diana is born you’ll be good as new.”

I smile sheepishly as I nod my head and silently look out the window. The passing trees make my head feel worse so I close my eyes and concentrate on my breathing.

“Pull over,” I pant.

Kevin looks to me and then quickly realizes what I’m about to do. He puts on the idle lights and pulls over softly.

As soon as he does I open the door but before I could make it out I heave onto the gravel. I could feel Kevin’s hand on my back as he keeps my hair back and rubs my back in soothing circles.

“Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to have you come…” He says.

I shake my head and use a tissue to wipe my mouth.

“No, I need to be there to greet him.” I reply.

He nods in understanding and pulls away from the curb, driving even more carefully.

 

*

 

Once we make it to the airport we immediately see Henry and his wife.

I saunter towards them with the help of Kevin and gently wrap my arms around Henry and then his wife.

“Wow you’re so big!” Anna says, rubbing my belly.

“Sure are,” Henry eyes me warily.

Out of everyone, only he knows my death date. He promised me he wouldn’t tell anyone, not even Kevin. I’m grateful to him.

“Come on guys, we should get going, Serenity has been getting sick lately.” Kevin says holding onto my arm.

I could sense Henry’s worried eyes on the back of my head, he doesn’t agree with me keeping my date a secret. He cried and pleaded with me so much but I just could not have the heart or courage to tell Kevin.

It’s not that I’m trying to be selfish, I’m not… It’s just I’m too scared of what Kevin’s reaction will be that I fail to tell him anything that will make him want to take care of me more.

I just want Kevin to be happy for as long as possible, telling him I’m going to die will only make our time together be depressing and sad.

We follow him out to the car and just when we started packing their bags into the car, my water broke.