My L. Joe and My Boys

Sailor Girls

“Niel, are you even listening to me?!”

“Uh-huh,” Niel responded to the irritated blonde, not removing his earphones.

“Okay, good, because we need to deci–”

Niel interrupted, “Listen, boy. My first love story.”

Chunji immediately recognized the song his dongsaeng was singing and decided to jump in. “Ooh whoa oh. Ooh whoa oh. Yeah.”

“My L. Joe,” Niel sang as he placed his hand on the blonde L. Joe’s shoulder.

“Haah,” Chunji sang the backup vocals.

“And my boys.”

“Haah.”

“My sunshine.”

“Uh, uh, let’s go!”

L. Joe snapped, “Would you guys quit making a scene before someone recognizes us..?”

“Calm down… It’s going to take a while for the rest of the guys to get here, anyway. You might as well have fun with us,” Chunji cooed as he patted the open space on the floor next to him.

L. Joe caved in and mumbled, “I just don’t feel like getting chased down by some crazy fans today. I wouldn’t mind seeing that girl Andreya, though. She seemed pretty chill compared to all the other fans we’ve met.”

“Pffft,” Chunji scoffed. “You know she must have practiced that. All that devoted time and effort she must have put forth makes her just as weird as the other fans. All girls are all the same, but if I had to choose, I’d choose her friend. She was ten times prettier.”

“She was really pretty,” Niel agreed.

“Haven’t you guys heard of inner beauty?” L. Joe scolded.

“Yes, but you don’t always see that up front when you meet people,” Chunji answered.

“That’s why you get to know them better,” L. Joe shot back.

“There’s no reason to get to know every last female on the earth if they’re not even pretty.”

“You don’t think Andreya’s pretty?” L. Joe seemed very defensive.

Chunji immediately responded, “I didn’t say that at all. I think she’s… I just think her friend was prettier.”

“Gee, gee, gee, gee. You guys argue a lot,” Niel blurted as he got up from off the floor.

Getting up and following Niel, L. Joe agreed, “Niel’s right… Let’s walk around for a bit.”

Within thirty seconds of walking, Chunji blurted, “Guys, I’m hungry.”

“Fool, you just ate,” L. Joe barked thoroughly annoyed.

Chunji ignored L. Joe’s body language and handed him some coins. “Here, go buy me a candy bar,” he instructed as he pointed to the nearest vending machine.

Soon after L. Joe left, Niel shoved Chunji’s body into the direction of a random store. He whispered loudly in excitement, “Hyung, look! It’s the girls from yesterday!”

 “Would you look at that.” Chunji smirked.

“That one’s dress is really pretty,” Niel commented as he pointed.

“She’s obviously wearing it for a reason because she didn’t even wear a dress to the fan sign,” Chunji informed.

L. Joe interrupted the conversation, offered the candy bar to Chunji, and asked who they were talking about.

Chunji smirked, ignored L. Joe’s gesture, pointed, and announced, “The pretty girl from yesterday.”

“Do you even remember her name?” he challenged and relaxed his arm.

The girl crazed blonde chuckled and answered, “Yes, I actually do. It was Miss Beautiful.”

“You’re an idiot. I’m not even interested in her, yet I remember her name.”

“What is it?” Chunji asked. When L. Joe ignored him, he turned his eyes to Niel. Niel only shrugged because he didn’t know it either. “I could just ask her myself.”

“Are you an idiot?!” L. Joe practically screamed as he began undoing the wrapper. Chunji chuckled lightly, so he tried to explain the situation to his dense minded friend. “She’d be too excited, and then she’d make a scene–”

Chunji began confidently walking away and responded, “I can easily ask her to calm down.”

“Chunji-hyung,” Niel called. “Today was supposed to be a guys-only day. Besides, what if L. Joe-hyung is right? You said it yourself, ‘They’re all the same.’”

He came back and patted his dongsaeng on the head and calmly stated, “That’s what I’m counting on. If she’s just like all the rest, I can just ask her to do something, and she’ll be too star struck to do otherwise. Watch and learn, buddy.”

“I’m staying here,” L. Joe announced with his mouth full of chocolate, nougat, and nuts. “If you get chased down, you’ll have to run all by yourself.”

Niel hesitated pondering as to whether or not he wanted to stay, but Chunji had already walked off. As soon as Chunji walked into the store, he spotted Andreya first. She appeared to have met his gaze, but he assumed she didn’t because she didn’t react. Seconds later, Tina appeared from behind a clothing rack, shrieked, and dropped the blouse she had in her hand.


dongsaeng: a title people call younger peers

hyung, hyeong: a title males call older males