A Simple Question

Sailor Girls

 

"Hello! Welcome! How may I--"

"Stop girl in th--"

"I'm so sorry about that," Andreya apologized as she pressed a button through her pants' pocket to silence the ringtone. With an embarrassed smile, she continued, "How may I take your order, sir?"

"Yes, I'd like a large decaf coffee and a medium half-and-half to go please," the man answered.

"After pressing a few buttons, Andreya informed, "That'll be three dollars and fifty-eight cents." When he offered her his card, she asked, "Will that be debit or credit?"

"Uh, debit," he answered in a slightly rushed and annoyed tone. When the transaction was complete, he took his card and receipt and sat down at a nearby table. As she she started brewing his coffee, Andreya noticed a woman across the shop eyeing him. Instead of having a few moments to herself to watch the future couple's interactions, Andreya was interrupted, once again, by her phone.

Andreya's coworker, Jinhi, chuckled and teased, "Is that your boothang texting you?"

Andreya blinked hard as she rolled her eyes and muttered, "No, this one's worse." Within seconds, she contemplated the weight of Jinhi's words. Dramatically, she gestured as she began, "Hold. Who said he was my boothang, and who said you're allowed to use my words?"

Ignoring Andreya's question, Jinhi giggled to herself and asked her own, "So who's texting you then?"

Once again, Andreya blinked hard with disgust, and eventually answered, "I don't even know. All these creeps keep texting me, but I don't know how my number gets around."  Tilting her phone, she offered, "Here, look at th--"

"Hugglepoo?!" 

"And the winks! Do you see the winks?!"

Ding.

Andreya redirected her focus on attending to her customer and suddenly remembered the woman sitting in the back. "Here you are, sir. Oh, and sir," she called when he walked off, catching him off guard. When he approached, she handed him a packaged treat, pointed with her eyes, and whispered, "You should give this cookie to that lady over by the window. She's been looking at you the whole time."

Conspicuously, he whirled his head around to see who Andreya was referring to. When his eyes met an attractive, sophisticated woman who appeared to be around his age, for half a second, his eyes shot open in surprise, and for the next half, he spun around in nervousness. After a moment to collect himself, he smiled lightly and nodded at Andreya as he took her suggestion. Andreya felt proud of her accomplishment, so she fixed herself a fruit smoothie, and prepared to go next door for an early lunch. 

On the way over, Andreya'a phone played Teen Top's Clap again.

 

From: Unknown

I hope you fall into a gutter and swim

with the rest of your sewer rat clan.

Stop texting them.

 

Andreya was completely taken aback. Who on earth could that have been texting her like that? Who were they even talking about? 'Them'?

"Hey, Andreya!" Hyerim greeted her regular customer.

"Hey," she answered weakly, slowly taking her focus away from the text.

"How's Tina? I haven't seen or heard from her in a while."

"What do you mean? Shes fine, but she hasn't come to work?" Andreya accidentally pounded her smoothie on the counter because was thoroughly concerned.

"She's missed a couple days of work now, and didn't call beforehand or pick up the phone when the manager called. She didn't quit or anything, but it sure seems like she wants to get fired."

"Wow," Andreya muttered to herself as she palmed her forehead, completely unaware. "I guess I'll have to talk to her about that... Well, for now, I'd like some food."

Already typing in the order, Hyerim asked, "Your usual?"

Before Andreya could confirm, a voice behind her ordered, "Two of whatever she's having please."

"Who--" Upon seeing Chanji, Andreya pinched the bridge of her nose instinctively. She caught herself reacting negatively, and tried to correct it by pretending to be happier.

Chanji didn't even notice her previous behavior, so he continued about his merry way and paid for their sandwiches. When Yuri got their food from the refrigerator, he brightly took the food and directed Andreya to a booth in the back corner.

Andreya was not in the mood to deal with Chanji, but she didn't want to hurt his feelings. Instead of saying anything for fear she might offend him, she just ate her food quietly. Creepily, he ate without any words as well. Andreya didn't want conversation in the first place, so she didn't feel awkward. But Chanji's silence worried her.

The two had finished eating without exchanging any words. Andreya looked up at Chanji for a brief second, and he only smiled politely at her. Andreya piled his and her trash onto her tray, stacked his tray underneath hers, was about to get up to throw everything away, but Chanji grabbed her wrist to stop her.
 
"Andreya," he called, at first looking down toward the table, then slowly meeting her gaze. "Please. I... I'd like to say something."
 
"Yes?" Andreya was nervous because his sudden seriousness caught her off guard.
 
"I know we just met. I know you barely know anything about you. Heck, I barely know anything about you either..."
 
Andreya thought she knew where this was going, but Chanji's loud sigh as he searched for the words to use, and the fact that his hand was still on her wrist, only validated her assumption.
 
He continued, "I'm not quite sure how you feel about me, but I know how I feel about you. I like you. Just thinking of you brightens up my day... I was wondering if... I was wondering if you would like to be my girlfriend?"
 
He said it, Andreya thought to herself. Andreya gulped trying to think of a way to lightly reject him. Just when she had concluded that there was no soft way to tell him no, her phone rang to alert her of a new text message.
 
When her face suddenly became tense and her eyes became locked to the screen, Chanji slowly called, "Andreya?"
 
"I-I think I need to go to the hopspital," Andreya announced, although sounding very unsure of herself.
 
Chanji chuckled nervously, "Andreya, it's just a simple question."
 
"No, I mean I literally have to go to the hospital. My friend's mom is in the hospital, and I need to show support," she clarified, still seemingly indecisive, gathered her things belongings, and picked up their trash.
 
"Right now?" Chanji questioned in disbelief.
 
"Yes! She's in the hospital right now," Andreya emphasized as she headed out the door.
 
Chanji had walked a distance away from his car when he had seen Andreya, so he asked, "Is it okay if I ride with you?"
 
"Sure." Andreya didn't care one way or the other. She just wanted to gather some facts. She fibbed about the text being about her friend's mom. The text was from the annoying flirt from earlier and he referred to Minsoo's mom. She didn't know anyone named Minsoo but the fact that the mystery texter felt the need to share the information of Minsoo's mother's condition, as well as what hospital she is staying at, Andreya felt obliged to accept the invitation. Besides, she wanted to know who had been texting her.
 
Within minutes after Andreya had began driving, her phone played Big Bang's Fantastic Baby in the back seat.
 
"Could you get that and just put it on speaker?" she directed Chanji.
 
As soon as he got the phone, and Andreya answered, words came flooding from the other end of the line.
 
"Andreya where are you?! Your lunch is supposed to be over by now! Like seven thousand people came in after you left and I'm the only one working! There's all these moms with their kids, and the kids are screaming and spilling stuff everywhere! You have to come back now! I don't know how much more of this I can take!" Jinhi screamed desperately.
 
"Jinhi, I'm so sorry, but an emergency came up. I'm on my way to see a friend's mom in the hospital. Do you want me to call Yuri or something to--"
 

"Oh! I'm sorry I didn't know you were actually busy. I'll call her myself, and I hope your friend's mom is okay, but I have to go now because a customer is waiting to order, so bye!"