The Anonymous Note Game

Sailor Girls

“Yo, yo! How is everyone?!” a member of Teen Top with soft brown hair and big lips shouted at the ecstatic audience. “Good?!”

One with a very pale shade of blonde hair continued, “We wanted to make this fansign a bit different today. Do you guys want to play the anonymous note game?!”

Tina started screaming uncontrollably and bouncing to and fro in her seat while Andreya just sat patiently with a calm smile on her face. As the staff began passing out assorted colors of papers, Teen Top explained the rules of the game.

Tina’s favorite began, “Write whatever you want–”

“Please don’t write anything too weird,” interrupted a cute boy with blue hair and a cheeky grin.

“Yeah, write anything normal, fold it up, shoot it up here, and we might read it aloud.”

“What should I write?!” Tina asked desperately as she shivered in excitement.

"Look! A black girl!" someone whispered not so discreetly.

“I don’t know… Ask anything… Ask them what their favorite plant is or something,” Andreya suggested sarcastically as she smirked. “The chances of them actually reading yours are pretty slim anyway.”

“That’s the point! If they do, it has to be special!” Tina slouched in her chair and puffed out an enormous sigh as she pondered over what to write. Suddenly, she discovered an excellent idea.

Andreya recognized her best friend’s demeanor and asked, “What’s with that face? You only look like that when you’re about to do something that I’ll regret later.”

“You’ll see.” Tina pulled up her knees and wrote something mischievous on her pink paper.

“Nobody cares who’s taller, guys,” the cute one told two other members who stood back-to-back comparing their height. “It’s time to read the notes! Okay, on three, everyone. One… two… three!”

For just a few seconds, the whole room was filled with a sea of colorful paper airplanes. The boys jumped up dramatically to catch some while they were airborne, thus making most of their whimsical fangirls giggle and scream.

“What color was yours?” Andreya asked.

Tina recalled her pink color, but she smiled innocently as she fibbed, “I don’t remember.”

“First note… Oh, it’s for me!” another blonde gasped excitedly. This blonde had a bright, almost yellow, shade of blonde. “‘Chunji-oppa. Your hair looks so soft. Maybe one day I can touch it. Can I?’ Sure! Just don’t mess it up, please.”

The one with big lips read his, “‘Where would you want to go for a vacation?’ Hmm. It depends on how long the vacation is. If it’s just for a day, I’d go to Lotte World or Everland. If it was an extensive vacation, I’d go to Hawaii because I hear it’s nice there.”

“This one’s pretty interesting,” a redhead announced as he held up a pink note to share it with the blonde next to him. “‘Hello, oppas! Could you have a contest for the fans? My best friend is a huge fan, and she dances really well, but she’s too shy to admit it. Is it possible she could show off her talent for you guys?’ What do you guys think? It’s doable, right?” The six boys just looked at each other for a few seconds until their manager whispered something to them away from the microphones.

“This has nothing to do with you right, Tina?” Andreya asked with a raised eyebrow.

“What? Me? No… Nuh-uh.”

The redhead continued, “Okay, so we don’t really have enough time for a contest. Sorry, angels! We could have one person come up here and dance, but since the note was anonymous–”

“Changjo, didn’t it have fine print? What did it say? Let me read it.” The boy took the note and read aloud, “‘P.S.: My best friend is black.’”

Immediately, Andreya face palmed as several fans turned and drilled their eyes deep into her flesh.

"The foreigner?!" several fans voiced simultaneously.

“A foreign fan?” Tina’s bias asked.

“Everyone help us look for a black girl!” the cute one shouted.

It didn’t take long for her to realize hiding was futile. She assumed that the fans around her immediate vicinity would deliberately be quiet and attempt to make it difficult for her to be discovered. Instead, they were causing a ridiculous commotion.

"Why does she get all of the attention?!"

"Why is she even here?!"

"If she touches my oppa, she will die!"

Not too long after, Andreya was in Teen Top’s direct line of vision.

“Come on up here, angel! Don’t be shy!” Chunji, the blonde with soft hair, cooed.

"What?! Chunji-oppa doesn't like black girls!" a fan remarked to herself in disbelief.

Andreya muttered to Tina before she left, “I swear, I’m going to get you for this later.”

When she got on stage and bowed, Chunji asked, “So, what’s your name?”

“I’m Andreya. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” she answered and bowed again.

“Andreya, you like to dance?” the other blonde responded.

Andreya lifted her eyebrows and looked at the floor and muttered, “Yes, but I didn’t expect to come up here.” Just then, she shot a deathly glare at Tina.

He laughed and comforted, “Don’t be mad at your friend. She was just trying to do you a favor… Do you want to dance? If you don’t, you don’t have to.”

Andreya thought of a rational reason to excuse herself without completely rejecting the offer. She didn’t want to encourage the false label of shyness that Tina put upon her, but she really didn’t feel like dancing in front of an already disgruntled crowd. There was only one song of theirs that she had completely memorized the choreography, but they might not have been able to play it because it wasn’t very popular. Then, she realized how perfect that would be as an excuse not to dance.

“I’m not that good at improvising dances,” she fibbed, “but there is one song of yours that I memorized.”

“Which one?” two of them asked at once.

“The intro song to your album It’s.”

“Oh, that’s one of my favorites, too. Do we even have that song, though?” Changjo, the redhead, questioned.

The cute one noticed the negative atmosphere of the crowd, so he attempted to lift the mood and squeaked, “It doesn’t matter; I can beat box it! Do you guys want to hear my skills?”

While he failed miserably, some of the others went and conversed with their manager. This took significantly longer than the first time. Right as Andreya was sure that she was off scot-free, she heard the pitter patter of running feet behind her.

“Andreya,” the boy with the big lips called, “we can play the song for you!”

“G-great…!” she stuttered in disappointment. “Am I going to dance alone, or... are you guys going to dance with me?”

“I didn’t know we were going to exercise today,” Tina’s bias muttered to himself, unheard by everyone else.

“This might be a little awkward because we’ve always practiced with only six people,” Chunji stated.

“Who’s part did you memorize? Niel’s, right, because he’s the one mainly in the front?” the first blonde asked.

“Yeah, I think so,” Andreya agreed.

Then Changjo instructed the boy with the big lips, Niel, “This time, just dance in the back, okay?”

“So, you’re telling me to just be an extra?” Niel questioned sarcastically.

“What are you trying to say?!” Changjo asked as he puffed out his chest at Niel. “I’m in the back for that song! Are you calling me an extra?! Huh?! Yeah! That’s what I thought!”

Niel tried to get sympathy from the audience as he asked, “You guys see what I have to go through? And I’m older than him!”

The blonde chuckled and directed, “Okay, guys… Let’s all get into position, please. Five… Six… Five, six, seven, eight! Hey boys and girls! Welcome to the world of T-E-E-N T-O-P!”

As the base-bumping music played, the seven people on stage danced together in perfect sync. Andreya’s movements were so on cue; it was as if she had practiced along with them several times before. She displayed no hint of shyness as she danced her solo parts with attitude. She even threw out a gesture toward the audience, identical to the gesture Niel throws right as he says ‘eojjeo gesseo’. During the shoulder-pumping part of the dance, she looked like she was having more fun than they were. As Changjo ended the dance with his dramatic jump, most of the fans actually cheered for Andreya, but a handful of boos were also present. Teen Top politely thanked her for dancing with them, and she humbly bowed again with a bright smile. As she walked back to her seat, a boy a couple of rows away caught her eye.


 

oppa, obba: a title females call not-too-much older males whom they respect or have a romantic interest in 

angel: a member of Teen Top's fanbase

eojjeo gesseo: a lyric to the intro song of Teen Top's album It's, i forgot the exact translation