xiv.

Half & Half

 

xiv.

►Play


 

 was running... Merely running without an exact certain destination in mind. All I wanted to do was too see my parent's smiling faces and run unto their wide open arms for a hug. For all I know, there was no such thing. The person who held my hands oh so tightly at that time was right. There was no such thing as "Alive" for my parents and all I have left was him. Them. But I couldn't accept them in an instant, wouldn't I?

 


 

 Hyoyi fell down to her knees, her trembling and now weak knees kissed the cold, hard ground. It was in pain, it was numb so much because of running. Her eyes were sore and red; they were watery as the tears from her tear ducts fell down to her once wet cheeks, blurring her vision of the wonderful scene in front of her. Ah, the Han River was a memory bank for her. Her bare and shaking hands touched the ground and she finally let the tears fall down the asphalt pavement. It was like she was watering a non-existent plant with her salty tears. She sniffed, sobbed and hiccupped. Everyone around her gave of a stare, but none attempted to help her nor get nearer to the poor girl. Her clothes were dirtied and messy, she was a panting mess. All I ever wanted was to be happy.

 

 Hyoyi bit her lip to calm her tears, but what it did was make her lips get even redder. Her lips were bleeding due to too much pressure of biting it. You told me you won't leave me. She lifted her chin and walked a few more steps near the river. By the time she was and inch away from the railing, she sat down and put her hands on her thighs as she lowered her head, covering her crying state. She then took a long sniff before looking up and forced a smile, "Happy Birthday, Umma..." Even when she tried to use a smile to cover up, the tears still wouldn't stop and it kept on falling, "I-I'm sorry I couldn't be with you... And I'm sorry, I forgot to buy you a present every year. And I'm sorry I'm always late, and I'm sorry I..." She stuttered and gulped the lump that formed in . It was hard to swallow that she nearly choked. "...I told you I would give you your present. I told you, but I failed. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I didn't give it to you in time." 

 

 "I'm sorry I can't be with you... But don't worry." She flaily stood up and neared the railings. She held the cold, off-white railings and tip-toed a bit to have a view of the crystal clear water. Hyoyi then lifted her leg a bit, her eyes were grey and emotionless as her mind went blank. I'm going to be joining you now...

 

 "Oi! What are you doing?! Do you want to die?" A familiar voice was heard a couple meters away from her. She turned her head around with her leg still hanging in the air, it was Woohyun. He was panting heavily with a weirded expression on him. He then ran towards Hyoyi and yanked her out of her current position, making her let go of the railing, "Are you stupid? What were you doing?! The heck is going on with you..." He scanned every bit of Hyoyi's features with those worried eyes of his - They were oh so beautiful to look at. "Why worry...?" Hyoyi sniffed, "I won't be a burden to you anyway if you didn't stop me." Hyoyi bit her lip once more. Woohyun took a handkerchief and wiped her bleeding lips whilst he frowned, "Aish. Don't say those things... You're not a burden." 

 

 After wiping off the blood, he patted her head and smiled. It was like an angel fell from Heaven at that time when Hyoyi needed it the most. His voice, his face... It was like of an angel's. She couldn't deny, his aura was spreading wider and wider. "You'll never be one. If you were, we couldn't have accepted you in the first place." He chuckled. Then it came to Hyoyi, she took a minute to think about what to say as she spaced out. Well, it looked like she was spacing out. "Then why..." She mumbled to herself, Woohyun heared her faint voice, "Hmm?"

 

 "Then why did you accept me?"

 

 "As I said earlier, you're not a burden. That's why we accepted you."

 

 "...That's it?"

 

 Woohyun chuckled once more, his angelic voice tingled around Hyoyi's ear drums. It made her heart flutter and make her mind go all fuzzy and light, "Pabo! Of course not..." He ruffled her hair until it was a bird's nest, "We took you in because you were all alone." It's because of pity? Hyoyi pouted. Woohyun noticed this, "And it's not because of pity. Since your parents died, there's no one to take care of you... We're your neighbors, and we would like to take full responsibility. Besides, my umma wanted a daughter in the first place, of course she'll be glad to have you~" He grinned. "...And I was feeling all lonely since my appa left. All I have is you to play with." He leaned closer to Hyoyi, they were an inch apart as he rubbed his nose against hers. That dang Nam Woohyun was taking advantage of the situation to be greasy again. Hyoyi tinted as she backed her head out a bit. She then covered her reddening nose with her hand. "You're my sister now. You're part of the family~"

 

 "But I'm an orphan." Hyoyi pointed out. Woohyun shook his head, "No. You're my sister and you're mine." He pouted as she grabbed Hyoyi near him for a hug. She was shocked at the sudden action. Woohyun's head was resting on her head while her head was on his chest. She could feel his heart thumping so fast; Hyoyi then blushed as Woohyun held her even closer. She never felt this warm after her parents died on the car crash. I didn't know... That when you have a "family", even though we're not related by blood, it's still so warm. Hyoyi answered by hugging Woohyun back. He then smiled at the thought that Hyoyi finally accepted the truth. Though I really do want to be with you so bad, I want to experience something new... But it still won't be the same. Hyoyi looked up at the heavens. It was such a wonderful sight to behold... Her eyes glistened and were watery again, "Yah~ Don't cry again." Woohyun commanded as Hyoyi wiped her tears away and made a genuine smile, "No... I'm just happy." After a few minutes, they prayed for Hyoyi's parents and offered some things.

 

 Umma, thank you for sending me an angel who would take care of my childishness, for someone to listen, to understand... And I'll be sure to join you one day... I'll try to cherish this family for a while longer.

 


 

 Hyoyi froze on her spot as she lowered her head, "I do remember... Why wouldn't I?" Hyoyi snorted. It was supposed to sound sarcastic, but I guess she failed at that. Woohyun sighed as he touched Hyoyi's cheek and ran his thumb across her soft skin, it made Hyoyi flinch, "I'm glad." He held Hyoyi's burning cheek. While at the background, there was a really frustrated Kim Myungsoo glaring at the two's lovey-dovey moments. Are they that close to the point they would have skinship in public...? Makes me puke. He rolled his eyes and neared the two. He then coughed to ruin the moment and it made Woohyun and Hyoyi's heads to turn around, "Uhm, excuse me? I'm still here?" Myungsoo waved a hand at the two. 

 

 Hyoyi raised an eyebrow, "And so? Why are you still here?" She had this unimpressed look on her face while Myungsoo face-palmed and liked his lips to calm down. Did she hate me now because I ruined their moment? "Of course I'd be here, or else you'd die." Myungsoo mumbled. "It's not my fault I'm chained with a person like you." Hyoyi backfired, "Well I'm sorry "I'm the person who would carelessly run in front of a speeding truck" kind of guy." Myungsoo rolled his eyes and put his hands on his waist. Woohyun watched the two argue over some things he couldn't relate to and chuckled, "Well, well~ What do we have here? A lover's quarrel?" Woohyun giggled. The question made the two's heads turn around and argue even more.

 

 "Us?" As if they're read each other's minds, they both pointed at themselves and said in sync. "Oh no, no. That would never happen." Hyoyi and Myungsoo both looked at each other once more, "Stop copying me!!!" They both shouted at each other and looked back at Woohyun, "See? Who would fall for this kind of guy/girl?!" They asked in harmony. 

 

 Woohyun laughed and separated the two; he found the two arguing simply adorable and cute, "Oh really?" He asked in a what was supposed to be in a sarcastic tone and raised an eyebrow. "Oh, and by the way, hyung... You two know each other?" Myungsoo took glances at Hyoyi and Woohyun, "You didn't know?" Woohyun looked at Hyoyi in the eye, like he was using telepathy, "She didn't tell you?" Myungsoo shook his head while Hyoyi shrugged a shoulder, "Aish. You guys, really... I'm her brother~" Woohyun wrapped an arm around Hyoyi and grinned, while Hyoyi struggled so much to get that one arm out of her. "...What?" Myungsoo's mouth gaped open and his eyes got bigger, "But... Aren't you a "Jung" and not a "Nam"?" Myungsoo asked Hyoyi.

 

 "Yeah... "Jung" is my real surname since birth." She informed, "But since she's part of our family now, she's now a "Nam". Am I right, dongsaeng?" Woohyun shook Hyoyi, while she only managed to say a shaky "Yes". "I'm an orphan. And I'm not part of their family." Hyoyi said bluntly, "That's why I've decided to keep on using "Jung"." She added. Myungsoo nodded in realization. Ah... He stared at Hyoyi, his eyes softened at the sight of her. So she was an orphan... I didn't know. "Yah!" Woohyun flicked Hyoyi's forehead, "I told you to not call yourself that! And here I thought you finally accepted me as your brother..." Woohyun pouted and complained. "Well sorry for that." Hyoyi answered back.

 

 "Speaking of you two love birds, are you really not in any relationship?" The two shook their heads, saying the truth. Well, they were in a "complicated relationship". But Woohyun wouldn't probably believe it even if they try explaining it to him for 365 days. "You don't even love each other?" Woohyun teased, "Shut up!" That one sentence hit a nerve to Hyoyi. Myungsoo watched how the two were so close with each other. Their little reunion was proof that, even though they weren't related by blood, they could still form tight bonds with each other. Myungsoo sighed. He was kind of jealous with his hyung. He was one big step ahead from knowing Hyoyi... But I'm glad you're happy. Myungsoo gazed at Hyoyi who was laughing so brightly along with Woohyun. That smile, I'll do anything to see it again... It makes me want to protect you even more.

 

 "Well then, this if for you to know, Myungsoo."

 

 Myungsoo raised an eyebrow at Woohyun.

 

 "I love my sister. A lot. Remember that."

 

 "You mean as your sister." Hyoyi corrected.

 

 "Of course.. .Maybe?" Woohyun smiled. Myungsoo felt that that one sentence was meant for him and only him. It was like a warning, a threat in his opinion. That wasn't a smile, but a smirk.

 

 Well, he still couldn't care less. He was losing from the start since Woohyun entered the scene, anyway.

 


 

Finally~ An update. Lol, I hope you peeps didn't think that I was dead. :3 Anyways, I hope you like this short and crappy chapter. The original one was long, when I was about to post it, everything went "poof" and I have to rewrite the entire chapter again. It's not the same anymore... *cries* And I'm kind of busy, since I still have to update my other stories and I have summer classes. :/ I might update tomorrow again, I kind of miss updating this one. :D Oh yeah~! Welcome all new subbers! I hope you like my story and support me lots~ *throws greasy hearts*

This was featured in Exotic Grounds, by the way. Visit their shop! It's awesome like hell~ If it wasn't for you guys and all your support and love for this story, that probably woulsn't happen! :D I also do apologize for the short chapter.

-  greasyinspirit