Chapter Five

Voice Of My Heart

CHAPTER FIVE

Eunji and Myungsoo ran inside the hospital, out of breath and their legs aching.

"What room number is Son Naeun in?" Myungsoo asked the nurse at the desk, panicking. The nurse didn’t seem to notice his anxiousness and took her time searching through the computer. Eunji frowned. "Quickly!" Eunji said rudely, impatient. The nurse jumped and nodded nervously at her tone, her eyes scanning the screen at triple the speed.

"S-she's in room 212 on the s-second floor." she stuttered, avoiding eye contact with Eunji. The pair immediately ran up the stairs, not bothering to wait for the elevator, and searched frantically for the room.

212.

They stopped in front of the door and Myungsoo carefully turned the handle, revealing the Naeun, peacefully asleep on the bed. The two of them slowly stepped in, trying not to make a sound, knowing she was quite the light sleeper. Sitting down next to her, Myungsoo pushed the chair forward, making a loud screeching noise, waking Naeun up.

"Oh." she said in a surprised tone, sitting up, "What are you guys doing here?" Eunji helped her lean back on the back rest, before ignoring her question, "I told you to go to your weekly check-ups, you didn’t listen, did you?" Naeun looked guiltily at her unni, "Mianhae. I just didn’t think I'd need them anymore."

Eunji sighed, "Naeun...Your heart has always been weak. Do you remember how much you had to go through the first time?"

"Ji, that's enough." Myungsoo told her. Eunji looked at him, "I just don’t want to she her in so much pain again! It's was not like her to be so weak and broken all the time!" Tears started to well up in Naeun's eyes at the memory and Myungsoo noticed before turning to face Eunji again, "Eunji, stop making her feel bad. She already feels sorry."

Eunji looked at Naeun, then back at Myungsoo, "This isn't something to forget about! It's a heart attack! She could have died! Fo-"

"Enough." Myungsoo said more firmly. Eunji exhaled, "I still cant believe you're acting like this even if there was a possibility she wasn’t here if it was serious!"

"She's still here! Cant you be happy that she is, and forget what might've happened?!" Myungsoo started to get angry. "But what if it did happen?! What if, just like that, she's gone from our lives! What if the last we had saw her, whas the last time we saw her breathing?! She cant take that risk!" Eunji fought back.

"She didn’t want this to happen to her! She was born with it! She has to be more careful than the both of us! It's not as easy at you think!" Myungsoo shouted.

"Exactly! It's not easy! So she has to make sure she does whatever she can to keep safe! But she didn’t, and look what happened! She almost di-"
 

"SHUTUP! JUST BECAUSE YOUR PARENTS DIED LIKE THAT, IT DOESN’T MEAN SHE WILL!"

 

Eunji froze, feeling numb at the sudden words. Pain spread through her like fire, as the wound that was healed years ago, fiercely got struck again. Everything around her slowed down, every sound getting blocked from her ears as she did her best to stay standing.

The memories she wanted to forget. The memories she didn’t want to reminisce. They all came back. Just because of those few words. What made it worse was that it was Myungsoo who said it. Myungsoo who had been there. Myungsoo who knew her inside and out. Myungsoo who was her first love. And Myungsoo…who had repeatedly broken her heart.

She swallowed, finally noticing her vision was covered by tears forming. Some of her senses getting clearer, she sees Myungsoo and Naeun, wide eyes, and mouths moving, as if trying to apologise. Not even bothering to wait for her hearing to come back, she blinked away the tears in her eyes and spoke, "Uh...I'll j-just get something to d-drink." She turned to the door, just making the shape out and headed towards it. A bit dizzy, she managed to open it but stopped a step out of the room. She turned her head a bit to the side and looked at Myungsoo and Naeun, "I-I wont be back f-for a while." She faked a smile and turned her head back quickly...

 

But not quick enough for Myungsoo and Naeun to miss the tear that quickly rolled down her cheek and onto the cold floor.

 

 

 

Eunji stood in front of the counter, staring at the various types of coffee but she wasn’t even reading them. The cashier in front of her looked annoyed at her as the costumers behind her started complaining and shouting at the immense amount of time she took for just choosing a type of coffee. She didn’t mind them though. In fact, she couldn’t even hear them. Every part of her was strongly concentrating on what Myungsoo had told her before. No matter how much she wanted to forget about it, her wound had opened up so quickly again, it was harder than she could imagine.

"Excuse me! If you're not going to order, then please move out of the way!"

She came back to Earth, to see a very angry man in front of her, his arms crossed and sharp eyes. Eunji bowed and gave her money, "Sorry. I'll take one espresso and two cappuccinos, please." She heard groans behind her and she turned around to see a very, VERY long line behind her, giving her the strongest glares she had ever seen.

Being Eunji, she glared right back and they seemed intimidated by it, since they immediately looked away, not wanting to make eye contact again.

"One espresso and two cappuccinos." a lady called out, sounding annoyed. She gave, more like shoved, the cardboard holder, the three cups of coffee inside. She rolled her eyes at Eunji and left as the latter glared holes into the back of her head.

Exhaling angrily, she headed back towards the hospital room, suddenly getting reminded of what happened. Taking a deep breath, she did her best to push the memory right at the back of her mind, where the forgotten things lay. Letting the most realistic smile come to her face, she kept walking, finally reaching it. Her hand softly touched the doorknob before she slowly and quietly twisted it, opening the door. She stopped right after she heard giggles inside.

Opening it slightly more, she catches the sight of Myungsoo and Naeun smiling and laughing together, as if nothing happened. Her heart broke yet once again. She looked down and, without a sound, took her espresso out from the holder and settled the other two down, just next to the doorway.

Cautiously looking up, she finds the two still laughing and talking, not even noticing her presence. She was supposed to be happy she didn’t get caught, so why did she still feel a lump forming in ?

She closed the door slowly, clutching her strong coffee on her left hand. Taking a deep breath, she decides it's best if she heads out.

 

 

 

"Ah~" she breathed out, feeling the wind smack her face lightly. Strolling around while sipping her coffee, she had to admit, it made her relaxed and little happier. The sun shining down as once in a while a cool breeze comes, a natural smile forming on her lips.

"Eunji."

She turned her head at the call of her name to see Myungsoo standing there, his coffee in his hand. Eunji looked expressionless to Myungsoo, but all the emotions came all at once, it was hard to express all. They looked at each other for a while before Myungsoo moved a step closer, guilt obvious in his eyes.

"Eunji…" he said once more, "Sorry for what I said. I really didn’t mean to."

Eunji swallowed, "No. It's okay. You were angry. It wasn’t your fault."

"No. It’s not okay. I hurt you and possibly brought back something you've always wanted to forget." Myungsoo stepped closer. Eunji looked at him, It's not like you haven't before….

"I'm sorry. I really am." Myungsoo apologised sincerely. Eunji faked a smile, "It’s fine. I've forgotten about it." She lied.

Realizing that Myungsoo was about to say something else, Eunji looked up at the sky, trying to change the subject.

"Anyway, you should get back to Nana. She needs your company right now." Eunji suggested casually.

Myungsoo seems like he was hesitating before he replied, "She said she just needed rest."

Eunji nodded before checking her wrist watch and looking up again, giving Myungsoo an apologetic look, "Hey. I gotta go. Sorry." She made an excuse, not really wanting to continue the conversation that could cause her a lot of pain. She turned around, wanting to get away as quick as possible, when her wrist got grabbed. She turned around and saw Myungsoo looking at her with an unfamiliar gaze that she had never seen before.

"W-what are you do-" "I love you." Myungsoo cut her off firmly. Eunji's eyes widened, "What?"

"I love you. I love you." Myungsoo repeated, saying it with affection, as he stepped closer to her, their bodies inches apart. Eunji froze, not knowing what to say.

Those words. Those three sincere words. Three words she had always wanted to hear come out from the person right in front of her. It all felt like a dream. A happy feeling filled her, until it got crashed down by a sudden nightmare.

Memories of Myungsoo and Naeun flashed before her eyes. Naeun was happy. Happy with Myungsoo by her side. She saw Naeun blushing, giggling, laughing and her eyes filled with nothing but love. And Eunji knew it was all natural for Naeun with Myungsoo by her side every single moment.

"I love you." she heard Myungsoo say, once again and her attention went back to him. He saw him close his eyes and move closer to her face. Eunji swallowed, causing her to drop her coffee, the contents spilling on the floor. Myungsoo's eyes diverted to the sound but looked back into Eunji's eyes and to her lips, moving closer again. Eunji's fists clenched and it took all her strength to step back from his embrace. Pain hit her twice as much from that one movement as she looked into Myungsoo's broken eyes. Taking another step back, she lost everything from the words she spoke,

"I don’t feel the same way…"

She immediately turned around and ran as fast as she could, tears dampening her cheeks as she left her one key to happiness behind.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Author's Notes: Chapter five up~ Thanks for subscribing and commenting! <3