Chapter Twelve

Voice Of My Heart

CHAPTER TWELVE

It's too late...

 

It's too late…

 

It's too la--

 

"NO!" Myungsoo screamed, breathing heavily as sweat and tears trickled down his face. The words still rang in his ears from his nightmare, slowly echoing in his head. He ran a hand over his hair and tried to steady his breathing but failed. Tears continued streaming down his face as he pulled his covers up to his chin and lay down. Shutting his eyes, his grip on the edge of the covers tightened as drops of tears slipped from the corner of his eyes.

"Eunji… Eunji… Eunji…" he breathed out, somehow calming himself down. Myungsoo slowly opened his eyes, his breathing almost back to normal as he saw nothing but darkness surrounding him. He wiped the tears dampening his cheeks with the back of his hand and turned to his side.

He didn’t want to sleep.

He didn’t want to meet with that nightmare.

He didn’t want to hear those words that haunted him.

Ever.

His hands forming into fists, he argues whether or not to do what he wants. Completely loosing to the other side of him, he throws the blanket off of him and gets off his bed. Quickly glancing over to the digital clock, he realises it's almost 3 in the morning. He opens the door to his room and quietly walks through the long, carpeted hallway.

Reaching a door, he stops. Myungsoo reaches for the handle, only to stop himself knowing he had promised. Letting his hand limply fall to his sides, he takes a deep breath as he decides to lean against the door instead.

"This is fine, Myungsoo." he told himself, "Like this is fine." He sighed as he slides down the door to the floor, his knees automatically propping up. Just being near her was enough. Knowing she was just behind that door was enough. Feeling her presence right next to him was enough.

He needed to get over her. If he continued what he was doing, he knew it wouldn’t happen any soon. He closed his eyes, finding it real hard to breathe.

His whole body felt numb as the world around him started to get blurry. A sharp pain struck his head and he cried, wincing as it grew. Before he knew it, he out, his head slowly falling to his knees.

 

Eunji was sitting on her bed, earphones in and trying to get through one of her constant sleepless nights again.

Eunji's eyebrows furrowed as she took her earphones out of her ears. She swore she just heard a noise just outside her door but might've mistook it for her music. Deciding to ignore it, she placed one inside her ear only to end up stiff as she realised the noise really was coming from outside. She turned her head towards the door, quietly getting out of her bed as she looked around for any sort of weapon she could use.

Grabbing the lamp, she held it over her shoulder as she inched closer to the door.

No sound was heard but she knew something was still out there. When she reached the door, she took a deep breath before flinging it open.

About to throw the lamp, she stopped herself as she felt a weight on her feet. She gasped, realising it was Myungsoo's head on her feet. She carelessly put down the lamp as she kneeled down beside him, "Myungsoo. Yah, Kim Myungsoo!" She shook him, starting to panic when she didn’t get a reaction from him. She pulled him towards her, her breath quickening as her skin touched his. He was burning up, "Myungsoo! Seriously, don't joke around with me."

Still nothing.

Not knowing what else to do, she used all her strength to stand him up, letting him lean against her as she pulled her towards her bed. Gently plopping him down, she lay his legs up onto the mattress and pulled the covers over him. She cupped his forehead and gasped at the heat radiating from him. Rushing towards the bathroom, she came out with a bowl of water and a small towel.

Dipping the towel in the water, she squeezed the excess water out before pulling his hair back to dab his face. She continued to repeat the action and soon enough, his temperature went down. She neatly folded the towel and let it rest on his forehead, sighing as she took hold of his warm hand.

"Typical for you to cause trouble at a time like this," she whispered to him, her thumb rubbing across his knuckles, "You're lucky I was awake, pabo." Her eyes started drooping and she rested her chin on top of the hand she was holding, letting dreamland take over her.

 

 

 

Eunji yawned as light blinded her vision. She sat up and blinked, realising she wasn’t on a chair but on a soft, cosy mattress. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion but remembered the incident the night before, making her scramble out of bed.

"Myung?" she called out, hurriedly looking around the place, "Myungsoo?" The sound of a door closing caught her attention and she turned around, seeing Myungsoo with jeans, wet hair and a towel hung over his neck.

Nothing else.

Meaning no shirt.

Eunji silently gulped, fighting the heat creeping up to her face and casually looked away.

"Oh. You’re awake?" Myungsoo said, a slight sad tone in his voice. Eunji looked at him, noticing it, "Why do you sound so upset?" Myungsoo looked at her, a sheepish look on his face,  "Well, I was kinda hoping to make a dramatic exit and leave a note saying thank you like in those movies."

Eunji scowled at him, shaking her head but remembered his condition last night. Her voice instantly changed, "How are you feeling? You were completely knocked out yesterday."

She stepped closer towards him and placed her palm on his forehead, a relief sigh coming out of , "Your temperature's back to normal." Both her hands went to his shoulders as she turned his body slightly, "Does anything hurt? Headache? Stomach ache? Anything?"

Eunji was taken by surprise when Myungsoo gently gripped both her hands chuckling.

"I'm fine, Ji." he said, a grin on his face, "No need to get your motherly instincts out." Eunji made a face, "If you knew your condition yesterday you wouldn't be saying that." Myungsoo smiled, "Well, I'm better now." He gestured to himself, "As flawless as ever." Eunji rolled herr eyes but immediately regretted it once they landed on his forgotten upper body.

He smirked, "What? Like what you see?" Eunji felt heat creep up once again but she kept a poker face, "I swear that pimple looks green enough to be Shrek's head." She pointed to his chest and laughed once she saw his priceless reaction.

"Put on a shirt, Mr Flawless," Eunji rolled her eyes with a grin as she walked back towards her bed.

"I swear I wonder whether you ever got hormones," he mumbled, loud enough for Eunji to hear as he grabbed a shirt. He pulled the shirt down as his face popped out of the hole only to make contact with a flying pillow. "Shut up."

Myungsoo chuckled as he grabbed the pillow Eunji threw at him and put it back where it belonged. He sat down and Eunji's tone in her voice grew serious.

"But be honest, why were you outside my door last night?" she asked him. Myungsoo contemplated whether to tell her or not but just shrugged, "I couldn’t sleep last night and decided to go for a walk. I probably ended up sleeping on the way and I happened to do it just outside your room." Eunji did nothing but raise her eyebrows at her best friend, telling him she didn’t believe a word he had said.

Myungsoo raised his arms in surrender. "Fine. Fine. Fine. I was sleep walking." he said, nudging her slightly, "You know that’s one of my habits."

Eunji raised her eyebrow even higher, "Myung, you don’t sleep walk. I know that well enough." Myungsoo laughed sheepishly, "Oh. Really?" He looked away, pretending to think, "Then I wonder how I ended up here…" Eunji gave him a look, letting him know she wanted answers. Myungsoo sighed, knowing he cant get out of this.

"Truthfully," he started before slinging an arm around her, "I just missed my bestie." Eunji rolled her eyes, "Alright. Alright. That's probably the worst lie in history." Myungsoo slightly gaped at her, "What?! A person can't miss his best friend?!"

"Not when it's you Myung," she told him.

Myungsoo took his arm off her, "Are you telling me I'm uncaring?" Eunji had a playful look in her eye, "Maaayybbeee." Myungsoo caught it and pinned her down to the bed, tickling her sides, "TAKE IT BACK MISS JUNG." Eunji laughed hysterically, "IM SORRY! STOP IT! I TAKE IT BACK! I TAKE IT BACK!" Myungsoo stopped and Eunji looked at him, out of breath.

"Really?" he asked and Eunji nodded. He shrugged, "Too bad."

Eunji only had time to widen her eyes before Myungsoo continued to poke her sides. Eunji tried her best to get out of his grip when he suddenly froze, making her look at him in surprise. Myungsoo had his eyes widened and his breath hitched at his throat before he toppled over, falling straight to the floor. She sat up and her eyes widened as she realised what happened.

Eunji had hit the place where the sun didn’t shine.

He was bending over, his face scrunched up in pain as he winced. She just stared at him before bursting into laughter at the sight. He scowled at her through his pain and she only laughed harder at his reaction.

"Aw. Did Myungie junior get hurt?" Eunji cooed, pouting as she .

She threw her head back, clutching her stomach and laughed as Myungsoo could do nothing but glare at his best friend.

 

After almost an hour of playing around, Eunji got a call from Infinite, wanting her to join breakfast with them. Myungsoo pouted when he took out his phone after Eunji told him what the call was about, "Why didn’t they ask me too?" Eunji shrugged although knowing quite well why.

"I swear you're becoming a lot more closer to them then I am," he told her. Eunji laughed, "That's impossible. They probably thought you were asleep or something." Trying to drop the topic, Eunji stood up as she held out a hand for him, "You can still come. Let's go." Myungsoo took her hand and pulled himself up as they both headed out the door.

"Oh. What day is it today?" Myungsoo asked after a few minutes of silence as they walked. Eunji furrowed her eyebrows as she thought, "Uh. Wednesday I think." A smile appeared on Myungsoo faced as she nudged her, "You know what that means." Eunji blinked, "No. I actually don’t." Myungsoo's shoulders slumped as she scowled at her, "It's our Triple M!" Eunji raised an eyebrow before realising what he meant.

Triple M is another name for Monthly Midnight Madness which pretty much meant what its name says. Every third Wednesday of the month, the two would get together at midnight and well, get crazy.

Eunji had forgotten that they had events like that and a bittersweet smile lingered on her face for a bit. She took a deep breath and turned towards Myungsoo, "So, what are we doing this time?"

Myungsoo grinned, "Just meet me at the beach at 11:30. For once, I want this to be a surprise." Eunji squinted her eyes at him suspiciously, "What are you planning, Myung?" Myungsoo just shrugged with a cheeky smile, skipping ahead of her, "I dunno…" Eunji face palmed as she watched him skip away,

"You are so gay."