One Shot

Cinderella's Fake Prince Charming.

                “Would you relax? It’s just my parents.” Jinho mumbled from his seat on the kitchen counter.

                Seonhee let out a humorless laugh as she furiously wiped the counter until it practically sparkled. “Relax? How am I supposed to relax when your parents are coming over?” She froze with a sudden gasp of horror. “What if they don’t like me? What if I cook something terrible and they hate me?” She whipped around to look at Jinho. “How can you be so calm?”

                Jinho shrugged. “I don’t care if they like you or not. Once they get over the fact that I’m not marrying what’s-her-face, you’re gone and we all move on.”

                Seonhee paused to stare at him.

                “What?” he demanded.

                “I’m totally judging you right now, just so you know.” She turned back to cleaning off the counters, and then moved on to gather ingredients for dinner. Jinho hopped off the counter, snatched the knife out of her hand and began to cut up the vegetables and had just pulled out.

                “I can do it.” He snapped, waving her away. “Go make yourself useful with something else.”

                She scoffed and turned to start seasoning the meat. “What time are your parents coming?”

                “About an hour.”

                She dropped the knife she was about to use to cut the meat and glared at him. “Excuse me?”

                “You heard me.” He replied, not looking up from his process of cutting up the carrots.

                “This isn’t going to get done in less than an hour.” She said, gesturing to the array of ingredients that lay out on the freshly cleaned counter.

                “Keep cooking when they come, then they’ll see how much of a hardworker you are.” Jinho said, sneaking a piece of carrot and eating it.

                Seonhee narrowed her eyes at him. “Are you being sarcastic or nice?” then she paused with a thoughtful look on her face. “I’m going with sarcastic, considering you’re not bursting into flames or whatever you do when you try to say something nice.”

                Jinho stared at her with narrowed eyes. “Did you just compare me to a vampire?”

                “Vampires kill their victims before they their blood. You on the other hand…” she let her voice trail off as she smirked at him and turned back to her cooking.                

                Jinho scoffed in disbelief at her comeback but had nothing else so say, as he had been caught off guard by her. Where had that naïve girl gone and who was this sassy chick that had taken her place?

                Apparently, Seonhee wasn’t just sweet.