I choose...You

Under Your Spotlight

2 years later,

 

You're spending the New Year on your own for the second time since you left home. You've sent messages to your parents wishing them a Happy New Year and also reminding them to not overwork and take care of their health but of course, there was no reply. Sometimes, thinking back at how long you've been training in the company, you can't help but feel ashamed and discouraged. Maybe Mother was right, maybe this wasn't meant to be. 

There were instances when the company had put you together with other trainees into a group to practice together, but they didn't last long. One by one, the trainees left, and only a handful who entered around the same time as you were remaining. Sure, they were equally as determined to debut just like you did, but the company claimed that both your dancing and singing styles were different to be put together to form a group which they thought would have the potential in the industry. It saddened you, you felt cheated many times, all the hours you've spent training with them went down the drain.

You sighed. All the trainees had returned to their family to spend the New Year, leaving you alone to celebrate on your own. Not like they mean it but, who wouldn't go back to their families, right ? Though they felt apologetic you often shrugged it off and told them that you were fine and there was nothing to worry about. 

There weren't any classes during the holidays since attendance would be minimal, thus the instructors had let us off. It was 10 at night, another 2 more hours before the countdown would begin. But it wouldn't affect you in any way, you thought. Having nothing to do, you just grabbed your towel and a bottle of water and made your way towards the practice room. You checked the board where all the bookings for the day were recorded. 

9am - 11am: f(x)

12pm - 1pm: Super Junior

That was it for the day. You weren't surprise cos you knew very well most of the people in the company had gone back to their family. You wrote your name in under the last time slot of the day and made your way into the room. 

An hour had passed and you were starting to get a little tired so you grabbed your stuff at sat in the corner of the practice room, gulping down your bottle of water. Your sweat dripped on the parquet flooring. You were panting from the continuous one hour of dancing. You were not only physically exhausted, but also mentally exhausted. How long would you have to go on practicing like this ? When would you ever have your chance to debut ? Are you game enough to continue hanging in there ? It was luck that helped you enter the company but since then, you had to depend on your hard work and effort. No one said the road was going to be easy, but no one said it was going to be this hard either. Despite the hours of practice you spend everyday dancing though lessons has ended, no one seemed to take notice of the improvements you made except for a few trainees in the same classes as you. All they did was to compliment the new moves you came up with and..that was it. Sometimes, you wished you could have the recognition for all the effort you've put in. Sigh, you couldn't help but let tears roll down your cheeks as you begin to sob.

 

You heard the door click open, disrupting the comfortable silence and your train of thoughts. You were sure it wasn't 12am yet.. You looked up and, is that..i-is that Lee Donghae ? ..I-it's him ! Omo, what do I do. My heart is pumping like mad crazy and I feel butterflies in my tummy. I feel even more nervous than when I had my attention. What was Asia's prince charming doing in the practice room at this hour ? You thought.

He seemed to have noticed your surprised expression and immediately bowed, "Anneonghasayo. Sorry to interrupt but I'm here to look for my bracelet which I think I left behind.. I hope you don't mind." You looked at his wrist. Ah, he meant the bracelet he never seem to have taken off before ? Rumour has it that it was a gift from his Mother, so he never took it off and regardless of the occasion. (Yes, you knew all these because you were and Elfish, stalking him on the internet like all his other fangirls. I mean, who wouldn't ?)

"Anneonghasayo !" You quickly wiped your tears, got up and bowed your 90 degree bow. He was your sunbae after all. After 2 years of Korean language lessons, you were now able to speak and understand Korean, although not as fluently as your English. "Mm, do you need help ?" Your voice was slightly shaky and your eyes were red from the crying earlier but you pulled yourself together eventually. You wouldn't want to make a fool out of yourself in front of him.

"Oh no it's okay," he let out a sheepish smile, looking into your eyes. He seemed to have noticed you were crying earlier and his tone sounded a tad bit more concerned. "Don't mind me, really, you can continue. I'm sorry to interrupt but this is..pretty important heh."

"I was taking a break so it's okay, I'll help you look for it," you smiled. All your nervousness seemed to have disappeared as his warm voice embraced you. It sounded so comforting and full of concern. If it weren't for you crying earlier which affected your mood, you would have been smiling by now.

He simply smiled and nodded his head as the both of you searched the room together. After a few minutes, it was then when you noticed something silver on top of the sink in the corner of the practice room. He must have left it there when he was washing up, you thought. Silly him. You walked towards the sink and picked it up. 

"Found it !" you announced with a smile and handed it over to him.

He let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you, thank you so much !" and quickly put it on in fear of losing it again.

You smiled. You've walked past him and s quite a number of times during your 2 years in SME but he always looked tired. It was your first time seeing him so close up in person and smiling so genuinely. It made your heart flutter for a bit. There was now an awkward silence in the room and you could feel yourself blushing as you looked down to avoid his eyes and rubbed your sneakers in the carpet. He broke the silence.

"So um, what are you doing here at this hour ? Aren't you going to celebrate the new year with the rest of your family ? I thought I was the only one here haha," he said.

"I um, don't have a family in Korea so..yeah." you managed to let out a smile. "How about you ?" 

"Ahh. My hometown's in Mokpo and it's really hard and inconvenient to get there because the transport there isn't so advanced yet and it takes a long time to get home. Besides, my Mother and brother came to visit me here in Seoul recently so it's fine," he smiled. 

It was then when you guys simply started chatting while seated on the floor. He asked about where you came from and more about you and got excited when he knew you were able to speak Chinese. He seemed different from the cold Donghae you always see at the lobby or around the office. He was actually warm and friendly, a total opposite from your first impression. He seemed to have figured you weren't so fluent in Korea so he'd start to laugh at your mistakes and correct you. He also made an effort so speak slower and used simpler terms. 

"So how long have you been training here already ? I don't see you around often," he said.

"Oh, 2 years. Well actually we do walk past each other quite often but I guess you didn't seem to take notice," you smiled and giggled slightly.

He let out an embarrassed smile. "Well, are you okay ? You um, you seemed to be...crying..when I entered just now. I'm sorry, heh."

"Yeah I'm fine, it's nothing, really," you smiled and reassured him. 

"I've been through what you are going through right now. It's hard but it'll pay off soon. At times when you feel like giving up, think of why you worked so hard in the first place. Remember that, sunbae's advice !!" he smiled. He looked adorable when he smiled, though without make up. 

You laughed and thanked him.

"Ahh, you haven't told me your name yet !" he pointed out.

Oh ya ! Silly you. You stretched out your hand to shake his to formally introduce yourself. "Ga Eun imnida," you smiled. You sounded awkward introducing yourself despite 2 years of using this Korean name.

"And how about your English name ?" he asked, laughing at the accent you had when you said your name.

You smiled an embarrassed smile. "I'm ____."

Time had flew past so quickly unknowingly and it was then when the both of you saw through the full glass windows that the fireworks had already started. 

"O-oh !" he exclaimed, surprised. "Oh c'mon let's go to the roof !" 

"E-eh ?" you needed a moment to digest. He simple laughed and grabbed your hand, making his way to the roof quickly. As you felt his hand hold yours, your heart skipped a beat before palpitating quickly. Inside you were spazzing but on the outside, you had to hold it in.

When you guys reached the roof, he was simply mermerised by the fireworks, totally forgetting about the fact that his hand was still holding onto yours. He let out several 'Oooh's and 'Ahhh's while you occasionally peeped at both of your hands while watching the fireworks. You felt your cheeks get hotter. 

Soon, the fireworks came to an end. He turned to you and smiled before realising that his hand was still clutching yours tightly. He quickly let go of it, embarrassed. "S-sorry about that," he apologised as he looked down to avoid your eyes. You, too, felt the awkward situation and shook your head, blushing as you looked down as well.

There was silence for a while, before he said, "Oh, Happy New Year ! I wish you good health and a sooner debut ! Hwaiting !" he smiled.

You laughed. "Happy New Year ! I wish you health in both mind and body and for Super Junior to be more successful and popular and win many more awards this year !" 

 

Donghae's POV

It was obvious in her reactions and her words that she was an E.L.F. too. But she wasn't like all those crazy fangirls out there who would start grabbing me or ask for pictures and autographs whenever they got the chance. She was..different. It was our first meeting. Though rather awkward at the start, but I'm starting to become more comfortable around her as an oppa. Y-yeah I juse said oppa :x She felt like my family, giving me warmth through the words she said. 

"It's getting late and you'll get sick if you continue to stay outside. Let's go back to the practice room to grab your stuff and get you back to your dorm to rest." I told her. She smiled a lot during the short time we spent together but deep inside, I could tell she had a very fragile heart. Despite her laughter, her eyes showed some sort of sadness. I wanted to comfort her, but I was afraid she would get the wrong idea. Wouldn't she think I'm creepy if I asked to much on our first meeting ?

We got her stuff from the practice room and I insisted on walking her to her dorm at the nearby SM Academy I used to stay in during my trainee days despite her saying she was fine going back alone.  It was late in the night and it was dangerous for a girl to walk back alone. 

"Thank you for walking me back, Donghae-sshi." she said shyly. She was so prone to blushing it started to amuse me quite a fair bit. 

"You're welcome," I smiled, "Take a shower and go to bed quickly, it's late."

"Araso. You too, sleep early ! Goodnight !" She waved. She resembled a child, so small in size, bright and cheerful. I found it hard to believe when she told me she was 20. Ahwell. 

I bid her goodbye and watched her make her way into the building before making my way out of the academy.

She felt so special, and I felt the urge to protect her. She had told me about her background earlier in the practice room and she sounded so fragile, trying to hold back her tears and talk at the same time.

So this is what others mean by 'Love at first sight' ?

 

 

 

 

A/N: Okay Donghae made his appearance ! Sorry for the delay. Thank you for reading ! Comments are much appreciated (: