Donghae, smile again.

Under Your Spotlight

"THANK YOU E.L.F. !!!" Kyuhyun thanked the fans, beaming. 

The crowd cheered and just when Leeteuk was about to announce that they were unfortunately going to sing their last song, the members then noticed that the fans still had something else prepared for them, and stood still eyeing their actions, curious. It started with the right side of the stadium, which mostly consisted of Donghae's fans. They raised the white coloured banners they were holding, whereby when pieced together by each and everyone of them, formed Donghae's name in Korean characters. Then it continued with the middle of the stadium, who did the same, with their banners forming the word "Smile" and finally, the left side of the stadium, forming the word "Again". It was then when they all shouted:

DONGHAE, SMILE AGAIN, WE WILL SUPPORT YOU ALWAYS !

The audiences on the top floor then rolled out a banner, showing that perfect angelic face of his.

The members were stunned for a moment, before they all turned their eyes to look at Donghae, who was equally shocked by what was happening in front of him then. His eyes wide opened, and his mouth agape, as he read the words again and again, not believing what he just heard and saw. Then, the fans continued:

DONGHAE CHUKAHAE, TAKE CARE OF OUR GA EUN WELL !

He couldn't help start to get teary. The members were amazed by what the fans had prepared for Donghae, and immediately cheered, some showing envy, while others went over to Donghae and started to hug him. They were in fact, really worried about his well-being. They knew how happy he would be whenever he was with ___. But without her, when he was to meet his fans, he was often so scared and nervous, and as much as they wanted to help him gain back his confidence, they didn't know how to. They hadn't forced him to speak into the mic to the fans though as they were well aware what his tears were capable of, so they just decided to let him gradually get used to it again. Perhaps time will help to heal him. 

The stadium was now filled with cheers and screams from the fans as they saw that Donghae was starting to cry. He bowed, hiding his face from the crowd, his tears falling endlessly. It took him some time before he managed to get himself together, and thank the fans in between his sobs. "T-..thank you, so..s-so so much..". And with that, the fans cheered, calling ___'s name, trying to get her own stage.

___ was well aware of the situation, and was in an equally shocked state as she saw everything that was going on through the monitor. She was totally unaware of this fan project that was prepared for Donghae and herself. She smiled at the monitor, shedding tears of joy as her unnies all went over to give her a hug and congratulated her. 

"Ga Eun ! Why don't you go on stage ?" Their manager told her as he made his way to the dressing room, giving her an encouraging smile.

"It's okay.. I'll watch from here," she replied, wiping away her tears.

"OH c'mon !! Get out there ! Donghae's waiting for you !!" Her unnie pressed.

Meanwhile, Donghae was looking towards the backstage entrance, unsure if he should call her out. The members then nudged him and pushed him towards the direction of the stage, urging him to bring her out.

"Ga Eun ah !" He called out, his voice cracking slightly from the crying.

___ was then pushed out on stage by the other dancers and managers and very soon, she was standing on stage, looking at the members who were currently at the centre part of the humongous stage. Donghae smiled at her, holding out his hand for her. With slow and cautious steps, ___ made her way towards where he was. Initially, she was worried and was unsure if she was doing the right thing. But as the fans cheered her on, she smiled, tears falling as well, and went over to hold his hand, making the crowd scream even louder. The two of them were however, careful not to make much contact apart from the holding of hands and simply smiled at each other, before Donghae used his thumb to wipe her tears gently.

A staff then passed a mic to a group of girls in the audiences who seemed to be the organisers for the fan project. They said, "Donghae oppa, ___ unnie, we're sorry we hurled hurtful remarks at you at the beginning. We're sorry we brought so much misery and sadness to the both of you. But now we understand that if this is the girl you love and cherish, then we should support you. Our fishy has found his mermaid, and being E.L.F., we will definitely be right behind and support the both of you till the very end. Congratulations on finding your beautiful love ! Do take care of our unnie when she returns back to Korea and bring her back to visit us often, don't forget us !" 

And with that, the fans cheered once again. And the both of them bowed, their tears continuing to fall. Then, Donghae spoke up with much difficulty between his sobs, having Henry right beside him to do the translation. "Thank you for all your support. I'm sorry to have hid this from all of you, but I still thank you for your understanding. It took me a lot of courage to let my feelings be known to her and now that I've got hold of her, I assure you that I'll take extremely good care of her when she returns to Korea and hold onto her tightly. I will do my all to give her as much happiness as I can. Thank you my E.L.F.s !!" 

Leeteuk then handed the mic over to ___, urging her to make a speech as well. "Thank you so much ! I am sorry to have brought Singapore fans a bad name but I will really, really, take good care of Donghae and cherish this amazing guy. Until the day I leave this world, I promise that I will give nothing less than my best to ensure him happiness and health !" She said after calming down.

Then, she turned towards the direction of her parents. Looking at them meaningfully, she said, "Mom, Dad, I love you, and thank you for supporting me."

The couple then bowed, and the members joined in the audience to give them a well deserved applause. 

"KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS !" The crowd started to chant after awhile. 

___ blushed, panicking at the same time and the both of them started to stand a certain distance away from each other. ___ then bowed once again, letting out a shy smile before attempting to make her way back to stage. But under the loud cheers of the crowd and all the pushing and pulling from the members, Donghae was forced to stop ___, holding her hand to keep her and planted a short but sweet kiss on her lips before he whispered, "I'll see you backstage then." 

The crowd roared with excitement as ___ scurried backstage. Then, it was finally time to move on and sing their last song. With the enthusiasm heightened, the last song was sung with much heart felt sincerity, and Donghae was once again his playful self, picking up soft toys from the stage which the fans had thrown and placing them all over his body. After that, though reluctant, the members said their goodbyes and bowed one last time before disappearing backstage, not ever forgetting the memorable night they spent. 

Upon entering backstage, Donghae immediately rushed towards ___ and picked her up by her waist, swinging her around in circles and kissing her on the cheek.

"Ya, this wasn't how you behaved out there just now," Kyuhyun teased, earning a smack on the head. 

"Congratulations, the both of you !!" Leeteuk said and with that, the members gathered for a group hug. 

The members then dispersed to get changed and wash their make up before coming together again to have their dinner. They were scheduled to take a midnight flight, so they still had some time left. The members had gathered around the table, while ___ and Donghae went to get the food from the pantry that had been prepared earlier for them by the staff. Just then, along the corridor, the both of them bumped into ___'s parents.

"O-oh..hello Mom, Dad." ___ greeted, slightly nervous because of the unexpected meeting. Donghae followed her example too, immediately bowing and greeting them in polite Korean.

Her parents looked at her for a moment, before they finally pulled her in for a warm embrace. They were not only proud of her to have performed on such a huge stage with an amazing group, but also the fact that she was now the pride of their country. Adding on, they were also happy for her concerning the fact that her relationship with ____ had finally been approved by the fans. Well, at least the ones in her country. Her father pulled away shortly, remembering that she was with Donghae, and gave him a smile, shaking his hand and formally introducing himself. Their last meeting had not been pleasant, so both parties had treated this as a new beginning.

"I missed you.." ___ sobbed.

"Us too," her Mother said, tears b her eyes. "But we're proud of you, really.. Sorry we've been too harsh on you and treated you coldly, it's all our fault you have to go through so much on your own. We're really sorry, honey."

___ couldn't help but smile. "..It's okay, I rebelled against you in the first place.. I..I promise I'll go on to study law."

"It's okay, you..don't have to," her Mother said, feeling slightly ashamed of herself. "Go after your dreams, decide your own future. Regardless of which path you take, we're ready to support you.."

"But I promised, Mom," ___ stated as a matter of fact, giving her a reassuring smile.

"W-whatever it is, we're not forcing you anymore so, if you don't want to, you don't have to. Alright ?" Her father assured her.

Donghae had left them to do some catching up and went to take the food for their members while ___ continued to chat with her parents in a separate room. 

"So does he treat you nicely ?" her Mother asked after they had chatted for quite some time about their respective lives without one another.

"Of course he does, Mom. He's even better than Dad !" ___ said, sticking out her tongue.

"I knew it. Boyfriends are always better than a daughter's father," he joked.

Just then, Donghae walked into the room, handing them some packed food. 

"Stay with us," ___ said, holding onto his hand before he could leave. She giggled, "Mother was just asking about you."

"Did you say anything bad about me ?" he asked, nervous. He was pretty nervous, especially in front ___'s parents. From their earlier meeting, he still had a slight impression of them as strict and scary parents.

"Wellllllllllll..." ___ replied, observing his expression and laughing. "Of course not !" It made him heave a sigh of relief.

The four of them then continued talking, Donghae either using Chinese or having ___ to translate for him most of the time before it was time for them to leave for the airport.

"The two of you take care then, call us whenever you're in need of help.." her father said.

Donghae had managed to click very well with her parents despite their language barrier. After getting to know them better, her parents were not as scary as what they initially seemed to be. 

___ then gave her parents a hug, "You guys take care as well ~ "

They also exchanged warm smiles with Donghae and her father gave him a pat on his back before reluctantly making their way to the exit. They were unable to send them off to the airport as their manager had predicted that there will be plenty of fans and they would have to use the VIP passage way to enter the customs. Thus, having her parents accompany them to the airport would regrettably be of great inconvenience.

___ stood at the exit, watching her parents drive off onto the road, until their car disappeared into the night. 

"Are you okay ?" Donghae asked, hugging her from behind and resting his head on her shoulder.

"Mmhmm, just missing them already.." she whispered, placing her hands on top of his.

"I understand, I'll bring you back to visit in future," he said, kissing on on the cheek as a promise.

"Really..?" she asked and turned around to face him.

Donghae nodded, and pulled her into his arms, resting her head on his chest as the two stood there for a moment in comfortable silence.

 

It wasn't long before they made their way to the airport and boarded the plane. ___ stared out into the night sky through the window with Donghae sitting beside her, who fiddling with the seat belt. She currently had a lot on mind --- How much she had started to miss her parents after their short and unexpected reunion, how much she didn't want to leave her home so soon, how she hadn't told Donghae about her promise to her parents to study law. Even though they said they were fine with her not doing it, she wanted to keep her word. A promise was a promise, and now that her parents had started to supported her, she felt guilty for putting their efforts on her to waste. It was only now that she understood why they had been so against her dancing. Dancing didn't have anything to do with studies which they had invested a lot to ensure that she aced every single examination she sat for. Since they were supporting her now, she felt the need to study law, just so that she could perhaps help them in the future whenever they may be in need of help in the office, as she currently did not have any thoughts on being a lawyer.

"What are you thinking about ?" Donghae said and intwined his fingers with hers, looking at her with his warm chocolate eyes after he had gotten comfortable in his seat.

"..nothing much," ___ said, forcing a smile.

"Tell me about it," he said, and inched closer to her. He knew her inside out, and from the looks of it he could tell that she was feeling troubled. 

"Just..a little reluctant to leave," she replied, trying not to reveal herself.

"That I know.. What else ?" Donghae asked.

She hesitated for a bit, but seeing the way Donghae was looking at her, eyes full of concern. She decided to just let him know about it. After all, it was only a matter of time before she had to. Now that he was giving her an opportunity for her to say it comfortable, she might as well make full use of it.

"I um..I think I'll have to stop dancing for a while and, enroll in a university. I kinda promised my parents that I would if they turned up for the concert.." she admitted, avoiding eye contact with Donghae and looking down, afraid of his reaction.

"...what ?" He asked, surprised.

This had come unexpected.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Okay here's another update. I am fully aware that Kyuhyun's birthday was not celebrated in Singapore's SS3, in case there's a confusion hehehe ! Anyway, hope you guys are enjoying the story so far ! Tell me what you think of the progress so far, please do comment ):