If only I wasn't Super Junior's Lee Donghae

Under Your Spotlight

 

YOUR POV

I woke up the next day to the birds chirping and the sunlight shining right at me, shivering. My clothes wet, body drenched from head to toe, hugging my knees in the corner of the balcony. The balcony was still wet from the rain the previous night. Ah, I had fell asleep in the rain the night before, I realised. I felt weak, so weak I could barely stand. I crawled my way back into my bedroom, hitting random keys on my laptop which had been charging overnight on the floor to get it out of sleep mode. Half awake, I refreshed my email. It was a daily routine. As expected, my inbox was flooded with emails from Donghae. 

"___, why aren't you picking up my calls ? You're making me worry.."

"___-ah ! I couldn't get through your dorm phone. Is everything okay ? Did the power trip ? Do you want me to get manager hyung there ?"

"___, are you asleep yet ? I'm still waiting for your call..."

"G'morning hun. How are you feeling ? I have to go for schedule now but I'll try to be there when I'm done !"

I was starting to get a headache and I felt myself burning up. I crawled my way up the bed and plugged the telephone cable back in, dialing Donghae's number. The last thing I want would be him coming to my dorm to look for me. I didn't want him to see me in this state. I didn't want him to about my situation. I didn't want him to worry about me. 

"Yeobusayo ?" He answered.

"Yeobusayo ? Hae oppa..mianhe, I forgot to call..." I said weakly.

"___ ? ___ ! You made me so worried yesterday !! If manager hyung wasn't in the living room I would have made my own way to your dorm ! What's wrong with your dorm phone ?" He asked.

"A-ah..there was a thunderstorm and, probably a power trip. I don't know, I fell asleep by then..
 I lied.

"Oh, you okay ? You sound..ill.." He asked anxiously.

"I'm fine, just tired. I woke up to call you and..I'm gna go back to sleep now.." I said.

"Oh. Okay go back to sleep then ! Get your rest ! Keep in touch okay ? Take care hun !" He said.

"Ne oppa, take care," I replied and hung up. 

Guess that means he won't be coming. He wasn't allowed to leave his dorm anyway. I reached for the drawer under my bedside table and took out my thermometer. I was having a splitting headache and I could feel my temperature rising ------- I was right. 38.7 degrees. Great. I took a quick warm shower before making my way to the kitchen to grab a bun so that I could take my medicine before collapsing in bed again. I felt horrible. It has been about 2 days since I had cleaned the dorm but I couldn't be bothered anymore. I just wanted this pain to go away. 

--------------------------------------------

A few days later, it was ____'s birthday. The Super Junior members had booked a room in a more deserted pub so that there would be less crowd to celebrate her birthday. After all, they didn't want her to celebrate her 21st birthday in her dorm, or their's, if that made a difference. Besides, she was officially an adult now, which also meant that she was allowed to enter a pub and drink alchohol. Not that they were trying to be of bad influence, but it was a standard procedure for all the members who celebrated their 21st birthday. However, they were uninformed of ____'s health and so was their manager since he hadn't been in contact with her ever since their trip to Mr Lee's office. 

___ on the other hand, had decided to just agree and went along with it, so as to not disappoint them or make them worry about her if she were to reject them, though she wasn't really interested in celebrating her birthday taking into consideration all the recent incidents. She had yet to fully recover and was still suffering from slight fever and a runny nose. However, she shrugged it off and got herself dressed and prepared, waiting for their manager to pick her and send her to the said pub. They had decided to meet at 10pm at night. 

It was nearly time. ___ had put on a black off shoulder dress. Though she was confident that Donghae would have something to say about it, she was going to the pub for the first time after all. She dried her hair and stared in the mirror. Her face was pale. It was obvious that she had been sick. Her eyebags were showing and her eyes were swollen. She sighed. Guess she'd just have to use makeup. It was not long after she was done with her makeup when their manager came to pick her up.

 

DONGHAE'S POV

The members, ___'s fellow dancers and some of our labelmates whom ___ were closer to had arrived earlier at 9pm. After all, this was ___'s 21st birthday. She was officially an adult now. So we decided to set up the room and 'get high' before she came so we could set the mood for her immediately when she came. There was still quite a lot of time before she arrived on the agreed time. 

"How about playing truth or dare first !" Leeteuk suggested.

Everyone then excitedly agreed. First up was myself. I spun the empty wine bottle.

"TRUTH OR DARE !" Heechul exclaimed, already excited.

"I'm a man ! Make it a dare !" I said confidently.

"Okay well then Donghae, give Yoona a kiss on the lips," Heechul exclaimed, knowing very well that he would be giving me a hard time.

"W-what ?!" I asked in disbelief.

"You heard what he said !" Leeteuk chimed.

"But I haven't had my first kiss yet !!" I protested.

"Oh, right. Ok then give Yoona a kiss on her forehead and hold it there for 5 seconds with your eyes closed and your hand holding hers !" Heechul said.

I hesitated for long while. If I were to forfeit, it would mean downing a bottle of wine and I can't hold my liquor well. Plus, I didn't want to get drunk before ___ arrived. 

"Oh c'mon ! It's just a game !" Shindong exclaimed.

I shrugged. Guess I'll have to do it. I turned to Yoona who was then starting to feel slightly embarrassed as well. I've always treated her as my younger sister but now that we have to... Aish, I'll just get it done and over with ! I held her hand.

"Here goes !" I sighed loudly and placed my lips on her forehead with my eyes closed as the members started to countdown. 

It was then when the door opened and upon opening my eyes, I saw ___, looking right at me in shock. .

 

YOUR POV

There he was. Kissing Yoona on the forehead as sweetly as he ever did to me. That was my boyfriend, kissing another girl right in front of me. Upon hearing that the door had opened, he had broke the kiss, looking towards my direction. For a moment the room was silent as no one else knew how to react. I stared at him in utter disbelief. This wasn't it. What was he doing ? Cheating on me ? What were the rest of them doing ? Had they been lying along with him all this while ?! 

"Annyeonghasayo," I said, forcing a smile and looking away from him. "I'm sorry I'm..early." 

There was an awkward silence in the room before he spoke up. "___- I-..It's not what you think. We were-" He stuttered.

Enough. I didn't want to hear any of it. I wasn't in the best of mood to begin with. It was the kind of mood I had whenever it was that time of the month. I had left the house with a slight fever and headache to spend my first birthday with my boyfriend, which also happened to be my 21st birthday. But this wasn't what I wanted to see.

"I um, left something in manager oppa's car. I'll go get it." I interrupted him and left the room, closing the door behind me. Though it hurt, I ran in my heels, getting past the massive crowd and out of the pub. 

"___ ! Wait ! I can explain !" a voice shouted from behind me and he grabbed my wrist, stopping me in my tracks. "I can explain, it's not what you think, listen, please..!"

It just made my headache worst. "Explain what ? Explain why you told me to come at 10pm so you can entertain Yoona first ?" I said. Tears filled my eyes. I didn't care if I was going to get my make up smudge. I wasn't sad, I was just mad. 

"No, listen ! Please, just hear me out will you ?" Donghae begged. He rambled on but I couldn't hear a thing. The loud music from the pub, the sound of the traffic from the road plus our argument. It made me dizzy. I felt the things around me spinning and soon, they all faded out and all that was left was pitch black.

-------------------------------------------

Donghae panicked as he saw ___ faint right before his arms. By now, some of the members including Yoona were rushing out of the pub and upon seeing what was right in front of them, Siwon hurriedly fetched his car, sending Donghae and ___ to the nearest hospital. There it went, her first birthday party ruined. Things weren't supposed to turn out this way but what's done was done now. Donghae held onto ___'s hand all the way to the hospital. He could feel the heat coming from her body, which made him worried more.

"Nothing must happen to you, ___. Jebal." He said as he tightened his grip on her hands. 

 

DONGHAE'S POV

___'s condition was stabilised by now, though she was still weak and had to be put on drips. The doctor had mentioned that she had been running a high fever for a few days now without receiving proper treatment and consuming the right medicine. She had collapsed from fatigue. 

Heechul and Yoona walked towards me. 

"Donghae ah, I'm really sorry. I didn't know things would turn out this way.." Heechul apologised sincerely. It was rare that he would apologise but since this was really his fault, he had to. But I just accepted the apology. After all, what's the point of holding grudges when the damage has been done ?

"Donghae-sshi, I can explain to ___ when she wakes up. I'm sorry.." Yoona said regretfully. 

"It's okay, I'll explain it to her." I said. I then told the members to go back without me first, but Heechul and Leeteuk refused to leave and insisted that they would keep me company. 

I walked into her ward. She looked lifeless. Why didn't she tell me about this ? Was there something going on that she was hiding from me ? I sat on the chair next to her bed and held her hands. I brought her hands to my lips and kissed it. 

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. Please be okay.." I said. Speaking soon became difficult as I started to tear up, so I just sat there, rubbing her cold hands and looking at her. 

 

YOUR POV

I woke up. Where was I ? I looked around and saw Donghae sleeping with his head on my tummy, holding onto my hands tightly. Just then, Heechul entered the ward. 

"___ ! You're awake !" He said.

"Shhh.." I said and pointed to the sleeping Donghae. 

"Sorry," he whispered. "How are you feeling ?"

"Much better.." I replied with a weak smile. "How long has it been ?"

"You slept for about 5 hours. You fainted from fatigue at the pub and..we brought you here. The doctor said you were having a fever and weren't treated properly." he explained.

"Oh," was all I could say as I was reminded of the incident that happened at the pub. 

Heechul tried to explain, "___, things wasn't what you thought it was. We were ju-" he got cut off when Donghae slowly blinked his eyes open because of our conversation.

"___? You're awake ! How are you feeling..?" He asked, immediately sitting up.

"I'm fine.." I replied coldly.

The two of them then exchanged glances. "Look ___.." He started.

"I don't want to hear anything about what happened at the pub, Donghae." I said said.

 

DONGHAE'S POV

She was in a bad mood and she started rubbing her temples. I didn't want to agitate her further so I stopped talking, and Heechul left the room to give us some time alone.

After a while, I asked, "Why didn't you tell me you were sick..?" trying to change the subject.

"'Cos I could take care of myself," she said with a shrug, not even bothering to look at me. I guess you could call this our first big fight. I sighed.

"Well you obviously can't. You could've called me and I would have asked manager hyung to take me over or bring you some proper medicine.." I reasoned.

She kept quiet. "What happened ? Hmm ?" I asked. She was okay the last time I saw her. I was about to ask her again when I saw tears forming in her eyes. "___..?"

"I already told you I'm fine, now would you leave me alone !" she snapped.

"...I won't cos you're obviously not alright. What's wrong ?" I asked. She was hiding something from me. "Either you tell me now, or I find out myself. It's the same either way."

She teared and gradually started to sob. It broke my heart seeing her so upset and keeping everything to herself. I sat next to her on her bed. "Come here..." I said as I pulled her closer to me. She then leaned on me, burying her face in my chest and sobbed loudly.

"Oppaaaa," she cried. "I'm so stressed ! I'm so upset ! I can't debut in future. All I'm worth is being a back up dancer after 2 years of training. Why oppa ? Why ?! My parents were right, dancing wasn't my thing. I was wrong, I shouldn't have come here in the first place, all I did was bring disgrace to my family.."

"W-what do you mean ?" I asked, still unclear of the situation as I patted her on the back. She then explained to me everything that had happened, from the trip to the office till the time she made her way to the pub.

"I'm sorry I might hurt you but...I feel so stressed dating you, oppa," she poured everything that she kept in her heart out. "Everything I did, your fans scolded me. Everything I wore, your fans insulted me. Everywhere I go, they'd attacked me. It's hard oppa, it really is..." 

It made me tear. As much as she felt upset and stressed over our relationship, I was too. My fans had decreased greatly in number, my fans had told me how much they were disappointed in me, everything was just..not going as smoothly as it was before. But of course, I couldn't show ___ my weak side, so I kept it all inside. But little did I know, she was going through much more than I was. It made my heart ache, it really did. It wasn't her fault at all. It was just mine. 

"I'm sorry..I really am.." I said and let her cry out her troubles. "If only I wasn't Super Junior's Lee Donghae." 

"W-what are you talking about ?" she pulled away from me. "It's not your fault at all. It was mine. If only I had obediently applied for my university applications, if only I had stayed in Singapore, we wouldn't have met and you wouldn't be receiving criticisms and I'd just be a normal student like everyone else back there..I'm sorry."

I didn't know what to say. I was going to cry again, though I didn't want to. I pulled her in for a hug and she hugged me back, resting her head on my shoulder. We didn't speak, just comfortable silence between the both of us. However, what happened back in the pub was still bugging me and so I felt that there was still a need for me to explain myself.

"Just now back there, we were playing truth or dare and Heechul dared me to-" I explained, but got interrupted.

"It's okay, don't explain, I trust you oppa," she said, pulling away and looking into my eyes. "I just wasn't in the best of mood. I'm sorry I ruined your plans for tonight.."

"Silly girl, you don't have to apologise. It's all my fault, alright ?" I said. Just then, the digital clock on the bedside table beeped, signalling that it was midnight. "And happy birthday my baby. I promise that nothing like this would happen again. You've got to know that I'm here whenever you need me. I want to be your listening ear, a shoulder for you lean on, a boyfriend for you to depend on. I know that there would be many difficulties ahead of us but trust me, I love you and I promise to never leave you alone. You know that right ?"

She nodded, smiling between her tears. 

"You silly girl," I chuckled slightly and wiped away her tears. "Saranghae."

"I love you too, oppa." She said, looking into my eyes.

I leaned forward, placing one hand on the back of her neck and the other on her waist, gently pulling her closer to me for a kiss, her lips soft against mine.

 

 

 

A/N: Okay this took me quite long to update mainly because I don't know how to make characters argue :x I hope it's not too bad though, 'cos I know it isn't too good either. Well I tried my best ! So please tell me how was it ! Thanks for reading by the way and comments are much appreaciated :>