Brand New World

Under Your Spotlight

You were at the airport, waiting for the gates to open for the 6am plane to Korea.

You've packed your luggage and ensured that you have brought all the cash you could possibly bring without getting into further trouble with your parents. You dumped in as many clothes and necessities as you possibly could into the two largest luggage you had. Besides, you weren't very experienced when it came to packing, especially when you were sort of running away from home. For the first time. Your decision to buy a ticket to Korea was of course, not on impulse. Your passion and interest for dance has caused you to monitor different dance groups, idols and stars from different parts of the world and to your knowledge, there were currently a handful of rising stars in Korea, mainly because they had more entertainment companies, and much bigger ones too. You couldn't be sure if you would be able to get in, but you knew you had to try. You're all on your own now, with no one to help you and be by your side. "You've gotta be independent, you know," you mentally warned yourself. 

"Passengers boarding T370 to Korea, please proceed to your boarding gate now." 

You sighed. This is it. The turnover of your life. You couldn't help but let tears escape your eyes and roll down your cheeks. After all, like Mom had said, you would 'never step into this home again'. But this was the decision you made. You put on your haversack, and walked towards the gate. You looked back, looking through the glass panels just one more time, before turning your back against it and walked into the plane. 

Upon boarding the plane, you pulled out travel brochures and catalogues from your previous trip to Korea with your family during a vacation. You were fortunate to have actually kept things like these. You had already picked out dormitories and student hostels that were cheap and convenient to locate. Luckily for you, you'd managed to pick up the habit of saving your leftover allowance weekly, which actually adds up to a lot of money of which you could make use of now. It was not long before your eyelids started to feel heavy. It has been a long day and you haven't had any sleep. It was going to be a loooong ride ahead.

---

'Welcome to Incheon International Airport' It was going to be difficult once you made your way out of the airport as this would probably be the last place you see with English directions to guide you on your way. You Dad was an American while your Mom was a Chinese so you didn't really have the chance to learn Korean anyway. Nevertheless, you managed to get on a cab and gave the address of the hostel you chose earlier on.

You reached there in a few hours and got showed to your room. It wasn't too pricey, considering how crammed the room was. But what could you expect ? Not the standard of the luxury condo you stayed in back in Singapore. You dumped your haversack in a corner together with the rest of your luggage before throwing yourself on the bed. 

It's the start, of something new.