I hate that saying

Zero-sum

I stood by the lockers glaring at the students walking past me. Sungmin’s plan was daring. I would have to be very precise when acting it out. The senator’s son was a mastermind and the plan showed how much work and thought Sungmin had placed in it.

“Are you ready?” Sungmin whispered from his locker beside me.

“Always, but you realize this won’t get us at the top that easily.” I replied.

“Do you always have to be in charge, live a little Kyu; no longer do you have to kiss babies for your father I promise.” Sungmin smiled before closing his locker and glancing up at the clock. The school had an assembly in a few minutes that was when I was to act.

“Don’t forget Kyu; never let your opponent get the better of you. Always think ahead of the other.” Sungmin explained before leaving me alone as he entered the assembly hall. I waited until I saw Heechul and the others walk past, before entering after them and claiming my seat behind them. I would stoop to Sungmin’s level and shunned like him, or, I would rise to the level of ruler and Heechul would be at the bottom.

“You won’t win,” Heechul, stated making me blink and glance up at the man.

“Why do you say that?” I asked keeping my voice and face calm. Heechul and his group mused at me as Ryeowook and Yesung flanked my sides.

“Sungmin will be doing this little seminar alone,” Ryeowook replied as he turned to the stage. I froze they knew the plan?

“Sungmin isn’t supposed to get the popularity you want, neither are you.” Heechul replied making sure no one heard him as I looked for a way to escape. I had lost, I let my opponent get the better of me, and this was the result. The room dimmed as the projector screen came down and began its reel. I closed my eyes praying that Sungmin would realize his plan had failed before beginning. I could hear Ryeowook apologizing silently beside me as Yesung kept me in place. Heechul really was someone I should not mess with. I should have known though, his father was in charge of the school. Suddenly murmurs began around me and I could hear Ryeowook gasping. I risked a glance up stifling a laugh when I noticed Heechul on the screen. It showed how he handled the school and his past actions.

“Turn it off, it’s all lies!” he screeched making me laugh and gain my getaway from the Yewook couple. As the classes talked about all they were seeing, I slipped into the room housing the projector and into Sungmin’s arms.

“Thanks for the distraction baby,” Sungmin smiled before kissing my lips and making my heart race. A kiss meant nothing I lived on that rule, and yet Sungmin, a boy I only knew through paper and the few times we talked made me feel like this. I did not want to break from his embrace, the safety I felt. I had not felt this since my mother died. Sungmin kept me held tightly against him as our kiss lengthened. I could vaguely make out Heechul’s yells for the movie to shut off as his past horrors of controlling the school played out for everyone to see.

“Welcome to my level, just call me, master Min.” Sungmin mused as I placed my head on his shoulder. We remained in silence as the teachers began to get involved in the yells.

“Tomorrow, expect to be out casted, from there, we can begin phase two.” Sungmin whispered his fingers gently combing through my messy hair. I nodded; maybe being an outcast would not be so bad at least I had Sungmin, right? The door opened making Sungmin toss me to the side as a teacher glanced inside the room.

“Sungmin, why are you in here?” the teacher asked eyeing me with confused eyes.

“Kyuhyun and I were just having a chat between lovers.” Sungmin replied coolly, his hand grabbing mine. I blinked, had he just called me his lover? My heart race picked up at the thought. When the teacher left, Sungmin released my hand.

“A kiss means nothing,” he whispered before leaving. I was beginning to hate that saying.