Crumble

Blood Affection

 

 


¦ crumble ¦

 

 

After a long way to Leeteuk’s café, filled with arguing about croissant and muffins, Taeyeon’s face was finally plastered with victory grin. Holding a bag of chocolate muffin and a cup of caramel latte, she stepped out of the café. Leeteuk on the other hand, was looking no less cheery. Experiencing Taeyeon’s side of childishness was definitely an encouragement for the day.

 

He led Taeyeon to the passanger’s seat and opened the door for her. Then he jogged back to the driver’s seat. The road to the campus was fifteen minutes or more. The drive was silent as Taeyeon devoured her muffin and Leeteuk with his thoughts. The earlier incident with Taeyeon’s grandmother was still bugging his mind. Leeteuk tried to decipher things but seemed to be finding no answer. Then after a few minutes, he finally gave up to his interest and decided to ask Taeyeon. “Taeyeon-ah,” he called.

 

Taeyeon hummed in response as she pinched the bread and popped it in .

 

“Were you aware of your grandmother’s knowledge about me and my family? And my race?” Leeteuk asked straightforwardly, eyes were still on the road.

 

After swallowing the sweet chunk, she began to speak. “No, I wasn’t. I was as surprised as you were, oppa.”

 

“I see,” Leeteuk mumbled.

 

Taeyeon was confused as well. But confusion wasn’t all she felt; the fact that her grandma was aware about vampire’s existence—furthermore, Leeteuk’s family—only meant that she had encountered one or worse, was acquainted with one. The thought worried her at some point. She feared that the very same thing that happened to her might happen to her grandma.

 

The rest of the journey was talk-less. Both people were lost in their own thoughts.

 

Soon they reached the parking lot at the university complex. Taeyeon had finished her take away breakfast but the coffee was still half full. Leeteuk pulled the hand brake and turned off the engine. Much to Taeyeon’s surprise, he got out off of the car and she watched him rounded the car to her side. He opened her door and offered his hand. “Let me walk you to class,” he said as he smiled.

 

“Ar—are you sure? You don’t need to, oppa…” Taeyeon stuttered.

 

“It’s alright.” He smiled again.

 

The university ground was filled with students pacing here and there, some trying to get to their classes while some were going to the nearest coffee shop for breakfast. Leeteuk circled one of his arms around Taeyeon’s small waist protectively, as if telling the whole campus that they were an item. Taeyeon didn’t mind though, it was definitely nice to have someone to walk with intimately to school.

 

Sometimes Taeyeon would feel envious seeing Lee Donghae and Im Yoona acting sweetly and smitten with each other. She kind of always imagined that it would feel nice. And now that she was actually experiencing it, it definitely felt nicer. But it was truthfully different with Sunny and Sungmin. She could tell that they were in love, madly.

 

She sighed and formed a contented smile on her face. She sipped her latte and savored the sweet and warm feeling down .

 

“What are you thinking?” Leeteuk said, tightening his arm and pulling her closer to his side.

 

Taeyeon was still smiling. “You’re the one with the special abilities why don’t you guess?” she .

 

As they entered the glass doors, students inside the building started glancing at them. Totally clueless about whom the man beside Taeyeon was. But the two love birds failed to notice those glances and continued to walk. “I’m not Heechul who can read minds. I can sense that you’re in a glee but I can’t read your thoughts.”

 

Taeyeon giggled and decided to ignore him, leaving him in his own inquisitiveness. The elevator door opened soon as Leeteuk pressed the call button. It was empty so they were the only two passengers inside. Taeyeon’s delight seemed to be overloading so she decided to share some to the guy next to her.

 

“Are you still curious about my thoughts?” she asked teasingly, earning a raised eyebrow from Leeteuk and a chuckle as he pressed the third floor button.

 

“Well, if you’re willing to tell then,” he responded.

 

The small girl turned to him fully and s her arms around his neck. Instinctively, Leeteuk wrapped his own around her waist and pulled her closer, noses almost touching. “I’m just happy that I can do this with you,” she said shyly.

 

“Do what?” Leeteuk grinned knowingly.

 

“This…” she tiptoed and pressed her lips to his. It definitely got much better than the last kiss in the foyer at the mansion. She felt Leeteuk chuckling which made his chest heaved lightly. After a brief moment she pulled away and Leeteuk planted a chaste kiss to her forehead.

 

The elevator dinged and the metallic door slid open at the third floor. A couple of students stood before the entrance, waiting for the lift. Surprised looks on both of the pupils’ faces. “Oh, hyung!”

 

“Oh, good morning oppa,” Yuri chirped, then she turned to Taeyeon with a disapproving look. “Taeyeon-ssi.”

 

Taeyeon nodded in response, finding it a bit daunting talking to her.

 

“Morning, Yuri, Kibum. Are you going downstairs?”

 

“Yes, we’re going to the administration office,” Kibum replied.

 

“Alright then.” Leeteuk led Taeyeon out of the elevator and switched places with Yuri and Kibum, which had already walked inside towards the lift. Just when the door began to close, Leeteuk turned around and stretched his arm to hold the door open. “Kibum-ah,” he said as he stepped a bit closer.

 

Kibum pressed the hold button, “Yes, hyung?”

 

“Is Heechul home yet? I still can’t get through to his cell.”

 

The younger man’s face changed into a worried expression with a slight frown. He then rubbed the back of his neck. “Heechul hyung hasn’t come home since the ball, hyung. At first I thought you told him to handle the dead bod—“ he stopped abruptly and eyed Taeyeon, hesitating to continue.

 

“I tried to call him but he wouldn’t answer. Siwon finally went there.” Leeteuk butted in, trying to avoid the awkwardness.

 

Kibum sigh. “Hyung,” he stepped forward closer to Leeteuk, lowering his voice so that only Leeteuk could hear. “I’m worried. He has been acting strange since he got back from China. Especially when things got bad with Sica—he was—different,” Kibum frowned.

 

“I know,” Leeteuk nodded in agreement. “I thought so too. He was hiding something from me.”

 

Kibum’s frown deepened. “That’s not likely him to you,” Kibum brushed his hands through his hair, slightly messing it up. “Maybe I’ll ask Sica to pinpoint his position.”

 

“I’m not so sure,” Leeteuk shook his head. “Last time she did, it went terrible. I’m not sure she would do it again—at least not for Heechul.” Kibum let out a loud sigh, worrying about his brother and running out of ideas to find him. Leeteuk patted his shoulder lightly, “Don’t worry, maybe he’s just running off somewhere. I’ll try his cell again and ask his agency,” he assured Kibum.

 

The younger merely nodded and stepped back inside the elevator, where Yuri was waiting—looking unpleasant. Leeteuk turned to Taeyeon and motioned her to her class. The thought of Heechul was still bothering him.

 

“What was that about?” Taeyeon asked softly.

 

Leeteuk glanced at her briefly, and then decided to tell her anyway. “Heechul hasn’t come home since the spring ball. Normally when he decides to have a run somewhere far for a few days, he would inform Kibum or Jessica, sometimes me. But he hasn’t contacted the three of us. And things between him and Jessica are not pretty right now. What class are you in?”

 

“Room 3-12. So he’s technically missing?”

 

“Technically, yes. But I think he’s okay, because Jessica would feel it if something bad was happening.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Taeng,” Leeteuk stopped as they reached Taeyeon’s class and spun her to face him. “I might not be able to pick you up after class because I have some things I need to take care of. Would that be okay?”

 

“Sure,” Taeyeon nodded dynamically. “It’s alright, I could just call my driver or ask Sunny for a ride. Although probably the first option’s the better, considering she’ll probably with Sungmin-ssi.”

 

Leeteuk hummed. “Alright, I’ll call you tonight then,” he leaned in and pressed his lips against hers briefly.

 

“Thank’s for the breakfast, oppa,” she waved.

 

 

 



 

 

Taeyeon really needed to remind her grandma not to cook her breakfast anymore. Although she didn’t really get to taste any this morning, Leeteuk had been persistent on getting her some pastry to digest. If only Tiffany hadn’t been so kind enough to shake her lightly, the professor might have expelled her from the class. Fortunately, the caffeine she had earlier helped a bit. After freshening herself in the restroom, she could focus on the lecture again.

 

As she strolled down the hall, a certain blonde girl had her attention. Skipping happily, she approached that friend of hers with the brightest beam on her face. Sunny whipped her head just in time and saw her, smiling instantly while still struggling with her papers.

 

“You look… sunny today?” Sunny teased playfully, smiling at the cheery Taeyeon. “Having a good day I suppose?”

 

“Well, despite almost snoring in the middle of a lecture, yes so far it’s been a good day,” Taeyeon said. The smile on her face was blinding. “What about you?” she asked as they started walking together.

 

“Just the usual,” Sunny replied nonchalantly. “So… did you kiss and make up with Leeteuk oppa?”

 

“Yah!” red hues formed on Taeyeon’s cheek and heat crept up her face. She hit her friend’s arm playfully but it went a little stronger than she intended, earning a yelp from the newly vampire. “I did not kiss and make up!”

 

“Well you did make up last night and you kissed earlier didn’t you?”

 

Taeyeon’s face was definitely red by now. “How did you know?”

 

Sunny fidgeted with her papers, trying to keep them neat in her arms. “Yuri was all over it. She and Kibum oppa were talking about you two when I met them at the office.”

 

“I don’t think she’s keen on me. Did she have any history with Jungsoo oppa?” The thought of Leeteuk with another girl was disturbing. Leeteuk had told her that he had never had a date ever since she moved to Australia, and of course she believed him. But however, she needed to know, just in case.

 

“Don’t worry, she wasn’t that fond of me as well the first time Sungmin oppa turned me. Yoona said that’s typical Yuri. She doesn’t quite like it when her kind is socializing with mortals. I guess she still sees me as one.”

 

Taeyeon hummed in understanding. She then let out a chuckle. “You sound like you’re speaking with a vampire not a human,” she said in a low voice.

 

“Oh,” Sunny frowned. She gave an apologetic smile as she touched Taeyeon’s arm, giving a friendly gesture. “I’m sorry, Taeng, I just… I feel comfortable around you. And since you’re aware of us and everything, it just feels right to be open with you.”

 

“It’s alright. I’m still adjusting though, Jungsoo oppa and I are still progressing with things.”

 

Sunny hummed and nodded.

 

The cafeteria was crowded with students as usual. Soon as they arrived, they queued at the pasta stand and decided to have fettuccini for lunch. The line wasn’t that long and they got their order in no time. After they finished paying and picked up their food, they walked to their usual table.

 

Sunny led them but she wasn’t directing to their usual table. Instead, they headed towards the familiar corner, the corner where Taeyeon never thought she would ever get a seat at. Suddenly she felt nervous as the people at the table glanced at her and Sunny, though the later seemed to be far more relaxed than Taeyeon.

 

“Umm, Sun? We…”

 

Sunny turned to her, “Leeteuk oppa wanted me to make sure that you get along with the others,” she smiled.

 

“The others?”

 

“Yes, the others.” When she noticed Taeyeon’s uneasy face, she smiled wider and gave her some reassurance. “Don’t worry, Taeyeon. They might seem intimidating but they’re actually nice once you get to know them.”

 

Taeyeon hadn’t noticed that after Sunny finished her last word, they had reached the table. All the vampires were looking at her. Some were smiling but a few was frowning, obviously Yuri was one of the later. She hesitated a while before finally settling herself at the wide rounded table. She never realized before that the table could actually fit for more than ten people.

 

Yoona, who was seated next to Sunny, gave a warm hug to her immediately while giving a cheery greeting. But something was off, it seemed like she was forcing it. And there seemed to be an inevitable tension at the table. All of them silently eating their own lunches, occasionally talking to one another but with barely whispered volume.

 

Jessica and Yoona sat opposite to each other, barely lifting their heads. Just then Taeyeon realized that Donghae was absence. There was definitely something between the three of them; Taeyeon assumed it had to do with the ball, recalling how close Donghae was with Jessica during their dance. But she shrugged it off, simply did not want to meddle with something that was not hers to concern.

 

Tiffany was the first to break the heavy atmosphere. With a bright smile on her face, she made the first conversation. “So, Taeyeonnie, did you have a little sleep last night? Professor Yoo almost caught you had I not woken you up,” she flashed her eye smile.

 

It was a friendly tease, not a mockery, so Taeyeon felt a little bit comfortable with the topic. “Umm, no, not really actually. Breakfast always makes me sleepy in the morning. I usually never have one but today I do,” she returned Tiffany’s smile, recalling how Leeteuk insisted her with the muffin.

 

“Oh, did you eat something heavy?” Yoona chirped, sounded like she was interested.

 

Taeyeon shook her head, “No. I just had a piece of muffin, but I guess the impact is no less greater than anything heavier,” she chuckled.

 

After a nod from both Yoona and Tiffany, the table fell silent again. Taeyeon glanced at Sunny, the later was munching her lunch unhurriedly, seemingly not wanting to acknowledge the ineptness at the table. She looked to Kyuhyun and Seohyun, who apparently were having their own conversation in whispers; Taeyeon wasn’t sure if anyone else beside her noticed they were interacting. Kibum, Sooyoung and the rest were either poking their food or fiddling their gadgets.

 

The table was much different than the one Taeyeon used to observe from afar. The people sitting on this table used to be cheery and talkative, though in a certain manner. But this time it was uncomfortably quiet. Taeyeon began to wonder if it was her presence that changed the whole atmosphere. When she was about to ask Sunny, Yuri beat her to it.

 

“Sunny, I heard you are life mate now with Sungmin oppa?” Yuri’s voice was far from nice as cynicism and satire was palpable.

 

Instantly, Sunny’s hand reached up and held a certain place at her left neck, drawing Taeyeon’s eyes to it. A hint of rosy tint started marking both her cheeks. Then suddenly all eyes were on her, some were demonstrating amusement and some were simply surprised. “I… I… yeah… Yes I am…”

 

“That’s so great, unnie!” Yoona chirped as she stretched her hand and reached for Sunny’s before squeezing it.

 

When Sunny’s hand left her neck, Taeyeon noticed the five stripes tattoo on the side of her neck had faded a lot into something that looked like a mere blemish, though it was still vibrant enough for someone who looked at it thoroughly. Taeyeon remembered what Leeteuk had told her the other night at the rooftop. It was such a rare occurrence to have a life mate for vampires, that explained the amused faces in front of her.

 

“How do you feel about it?” Yoona asked, clearly trying to forge a happy face despite the discomfort she showed definitely.

 

“Umm, I feel good about it, I guess. My bond with Sungmin oppa is much stronger than usual,” Sunny beamed.

 

“Well, I think it’s not that fascinating, stuck with one person your whole life kind of thing, especially with someone who is not pure-blooded,” Yuri commented, eyes piercing intently to Sunny’s. The whole tension now shifted to the two girls sitting each side of Taeyeon.

 

“Yuri, that’s not a nice thing to say. Sunny is part of us now, it doesn’t matter if she’s once a mortal or not,” Sooyoung scolded.

 

“Then what about Taeyeon here? I’m not pretty sure Teuk oppa will change her at all,” Yuri’s gaze turned to the said girl. “I’m just saying, those guys really need to get a grip on their selves. We’re still having difficulties finding our long lost relatives and handling the newbies, we don’t need some random mortals to add to the task list…”

 

“That’s enough, Yuri.” Kibum barked from across the table, causing Taeyeon to almost jump from the sudden response. He’s voice was deep and commanding and Yuri stopped talking in an instant. Although his face was calm, his eyes were something Taeyeon wasn’t sure she wanted them to be directed to her.

 

Yuri and Kibum exchanged glares for a few moments. Kibum’s stare grew intense every seconds passed but Yuri never faltered. Finally, after what seemed like minutes with even higher tension and deafening stillness, Yuri dropped her fork to the plate rather harshly and gathered her things before leaving the table. Kibum scoffed and sighed loudly before finally deciding to leave the table and went after her.

 

Soon as the two were out of sight, everybody went to their dishes and continued as if nothing happened—including Sunny. Taeyon started to wonder if this was a vampire thing—neglecting the obvious anxiety and argument that happened and went normal instantly.

 

Tiffany sensed Taeyeon’s uneasiness and made an effort about it. “Don’t mind about that, Taeyeon-ah, Yuri’s not that fond of mor—humans. She’ll come around,” she smiled. “Of course you’re welcome here, Teuk oppa’s a really good man and we’re glad that you two found each other again.”

 

Taeyeon felt embarrassed instantaneously. Surely Jungsoo needed to discuss about her having back her memory—least of all, her knowledge of vampire’s existence—but she didn’t know if he had told them about their past and current relationship. Either way, it was still reserved and she didn’t feel comfortable about these people knowing it.

 

She managed to give back a smile and nodded once. Somehow after hearing Tiffany’s encouragement, the atmosphere felt lighter. Sooyoung had joined Kyuhyun and Seohyun’s conversation, Sunny and Tiffany were eating their meals. The lack of conviviality between Jessica and Yoona was still sorely noticeable. But other than those, it was so much better than having Yuri admonished by Kibum.

 

“Oh, Seohyun-ah,” Tiffany called between munches. “Is the luncheon this week still on? I need to adjust with my father’s weekend plans.”

 

Seohyun lifted her head and flashed a smile, willing to show a happy face. “Yes, of course, unnie. It’s on this Saturday. I’ve contacted the oppas and they said they’ll be there, so I hope you all will come too.” Then she turned to Taeyeon, “And Taeyeon unnie, Teuk oppa has made sure I invited you—well, of course I’d invite you anyway—so I hope you’ll be present too.”

 

Taeyeon was a bit taken aback at first, but nodded eventually with a smile. She leaned to Sunny, “Will you be there?” she asked.

 

“Of course,” the blonde girl whispered back.

 

Somehow a wave of relief showered Taeyeon’s conscience. Surely having a lunch with a bunch of vampires would be unsettling for her. Despite Sunny’s transformation into one of them, at least Sunny was once a human, thus she would definitely understand what Taeyeon might feel and she would be a perfect comfort for her.

 

 

 



 

 

 

Once Leeteuk parked his Audi on the gravel in front of the front door, he jumped out of his vehicle and stormed inside in a vampire pace. After seeing his father’s car on the driveway, he knew right away where the older man would be. The library was not that far, but Leeteuk hadn’t had the patience to walk normally, for he had some really important matter to discuss. Anger was rising inside him and he could feel the vampire inside him was almost getting the better of his other self. Nevertheless, he would not let himself jump to any irresolute conclusion and act hasty.

 

He opened the door to the library rather harshly and stomped his way towards the man in the wheelchair at the far end of the room. He slammed the door close and locked it, making sure that nobody could disturb his long discussion with his father.

 

Jaesun lifted his head from the papers he was reading and was a little surprised seeing his son all raged and fury. “Why hello, son. You’re back so early?”

 

The tone of his father’s made Leeteuk boiled even more. Not wanting to bear the small talk, he cut to the chase. “You just had to do it, didn’t you? I never believed it when you said you wanted me to be happy, but I never expected you to be this persistent either, Father.”

 

“What are you talking about, son? Of course I want you to be happy. Now if you just tell me what it is that’s making you enraged…”

 

“You told her. You led Taeyeon’s grandmother to believe about vampires so that she would keep her granddaughter away from me. And of course, you told her about me,” Leeteuk growled. Every fiber in his body and every vampire blood in him were aching to hit something. “How did you do it, Father? Did you tell Kyuhyun to hypnotize her and plant stories about me? Because if you did, you’re not so much of a smart man they claimed, you know I can always counter-hex the jinx.”

 

“Mind your mouth, Park Jungsoo!” Jaesun raised his voice that it echoed the entire room as he slammed his fist on the wooden surface. If his legs were still practical, he would definitely made his way towards his son and land a suitable hit on his face. “I never told any of your dongsaengs to do such dirty job for me.”

 

Leeteuk’s eyes never left his father’s; they were intense, and they started changing colors. He did all his might not to turn into the beast inside him, for he definitely did not want to attack the man in front of him. The table that was the only barrier was surely nothing once Leeteuk jumped to his father, but attacking a disabled man was not in his good nature. Parent was just a status that would never stop Leeteuk from doing what he wished he could.

 

Nothing, not even his dear parents would be able to stop him from keeping his relationship with Taeyeon. Not after all these agonizing years.

 

After the long deep silence, Jaesun finally opened his mouth. “Kim Soojin is one of us. That’s how she knows about you. She’s Heechul and Kibum’s great aunt. Her son, Taeyeon’s father was Daesun’s cousin. If you don’t believe me, you can always ask Heechul for his family tree.”

 

Leeteuk shook his head, “Heechul’s father doesn’t have a direct cousin…”

 

“Yes, he has,” Jaesun cut him. “Your lack of knowledge about my generation is understandable, Jungsoo, since it’s never any of your concern.”

 

If only Leeteuk was a human, his face was probably as pale as he was as a vampire. His throat suddenly felt dry as he tried to register all the information his father had given him. As much as he wanted to believe that Taeyeon’s grandmother was jinxed, he knew his father was not telling him hoax. He would feel it the minute his father tried to trick him.

 

If Soojin, Taeyeon’s grandmother was one of them—a vampire, that only meant that Taeyeon was too. But not if she married a mortal and decided to have a human child and never turned him. Leeteuk was never aware of Heechul’s bloodline, let alone realized that Taeyeon’s father and Heechul’s father was a direct cousin.

 

All feelings inside of him were, for once, hoping that his father was lying to him. But as he stared deeply into those calm and still dark brown eyes, he was convinced even more that Jaesun was telling the truth. Even his father’s eyes hadn’t turned into crimson as his eyes had; that only meant that he wasn’t struggling to speak the words.

 

“How?” Leeteuk managed to get the words out of his throat.

 

Jaesun finally lowered his gaze, only to close the documents he had been reading before finally meeting his son’s eyes again. “ ’How’ was a ridiculous question coming from you, my dear son,” he said impassively. He rolled away from the desk and went to one of the shelves in the room. “Soojin was turned and she ascended in her teen age just like us, that’s how.”

 

Leeteuk stood still as he waited for the next explanation, watching his father scanning for a certain book. Part of himself was still hoping what he had heard was wrong.

 

“As you know, we have a certain rule in our race, where one must be wedded with our own and have children to be turned soon. Taeyeon’s father fell in love with a mortal and decided to be married with her, with that he made quite a controversy of himself. This was the first time in over fifty years.” Jaesun finally found the book he was looking for and pulled it out of the shelf. He then threw the thick bundle of manuscript onto the desk, which landed perfectly in front of Leeteuk. “Open it, section forty-four about Bonding.”

 

Leeteuk did as he told and easily found the page he was looking for.

 

“Paragraph six. Read it,” Jaesun commanded as he poured himself a glass of whiskey.

 

Leeteuk took a deep breath to brace whatever piece of facts he was about to find. “A vampire which later bound to a mortal has the privilege of choosing their progenie's existence between vampire race and human race. May the choice for their progeny to be other than vampirism, substantial consequent shall arise based on the blood state which then disregarded…” Leeteuk trailed the last words. He looked to his father for any enlightenment.

 

“Chunho never turned his wife, and soon he decided not to turn his daughter either. For sixteen years they lived a mortal life, until you did that careless thing in front of that girl and exposed your true identity to her.” Jaesun sipped his drink and went back behind his desk. “Substantial consequent shall arise based on the blood state which then disregarded due to the decision of betrayal,” Jaesun quoted. ”Kim Taeyeon was cursed the moment her father, Chunho, decided to let her live as a mortal.”

 

“What kind of curse?”

 

Jaesun shrugged. “Nobody knows what kind but the elders. Now if you could come to the council and ask without getting yourself abolished for bringing Taeyeon back to our world, be my guest.” Jaesun’s face turned softer, “The only reason they haven’t touched you yet is because I promised them to fix this, and it’s only a matter of time before they do something about this on their own accord.”

 

“I don’t care about the elders. They can come to me if they want and I will still stand my decision and protect her.”

 

“She is not worth it, son…”

 

“She is worth every damn of my life!” Leeteuk shouted with all the audacity in him and slammed the manuscript to the table. The fragile hard cover made a loud thud against the mahogany surface.

 

Jaesun watched his son’s ragged breathing and crimson eyes as hatred and vehemence took over. He put down his glass on the table and gathered his pale hands on his lap. The temperature in the room had arisen and the two vampires were holding themselves not to break a bout. “I’ll tell you what I know, son. The kind of curse Taeyeon is bearing is the kind that will bring our kind to disparity once she entered our lives. That is why Soojin was putting a protection on her so that no vampire, particularly you, would be able to identify her.

 

“But apparently you are stronger and more hard-headed than she realized. Taeyeon brings harm to us whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not. If you’re looking for somebody to blame, blame his father for his impulsive act—which apparently you are now doing the exact same.”

 

The younger had long shifted his gaze to the ancient manuscript before him, trying to digest every piece of words his father had been altering. He wished what his father had been saying was all nonsense, that he could turn all his cards and backfire at him. But he couldn’t. He knew better as a leader that all this happenings were real, and that there was nothing anybody could do to change the rule, or simply put the curse off.

 

Leeteuk scrubbed his temples with his thumb and forefinger, feeling the sudden headache of the revelations. He could sense his father’s victory in this, and he was sure his father was a step ahead from expunging Taeyeon’s memory again, or worse, expunging her permanently.

 

“I warned you, Jungsoo, she is not good for you. Not good for our race. And as one of the leaders, you know better than to be selfish and risk your own kind.”

 

Leeteuk wished his father was wrong. Leeteuk wished he could be selfish in this. But he couldn’t, simply because he wouldn’t. He could hear his world tumbling down apart. It was a hard and cruel decision between his own kind, and the love of his life. An idea came into his mind, but he mentally scoffed himself for even thinking about it.

 

And as if Jaesun knew what he was thinking, he spoke again, “You and me both know there’s only one thing that would spare us both half the misery here.”

 

The blonde head shook briskly. “I’m not turning her, Father, if that’s what you meant. Her father had his own reason for not turning her and I aim to respect that. Besides, I don’t want her to be the kind of monster we are.”

 

Jaesun snorted. “Respect that? You do realize that what Chunho did only brought nothing but matters to us right now, son? How can you even think about respect to this subject?” he scolded him with an enraged expression on his face. “My generation was, and still is, held responsible for this, and now yours too. Turning her might not change the curse she brings but at least you’ll be safe from the ire of the elders.”

 

“I said no, Father.”

 

“If you will not turn her, then someone will. And I will make sure of it.”

 

“You will not do such thing.”

 

“I am your father, Jungsoo, and you ought to comply with me.”

 

“You are my father, but you can’t force my life. It is my prerogative to let the elders come to me and I will face them. I don’t need you to patronize me, I’m a grown man.” Leeteuk leaned closer and propped his body with his hands on the table as he spoke in a lower tone. “You know what I’m capable of, Father. And I will not hesitate to revolt if ever something happened to Taeyeon.”

 

Jaesun scowled. “Since when did you become so conceited, Jungsoo?”

 

Leeteuk pulled himself away from his father, taken aback by his father’s question—or rather reprimand. He hadn’t noticed that he had been full of himself—something he never intended to become.

 

“Haven’t you ever noticed? It’s not only you in the elders’ minds to bash, but Taeyeon is also of their top concerns. Especially with the curse she is to us. They will do whatever they can to prevent her from being near us.”

 

Leeteuk straightened himself and gathered all his composure back. “I will protect her, Father. I’m going to.” He turned around and began walking out of the library, not wanting to hear another word from his father about this matter.

 

 

 

 

to be continued~

 

 

 

a/n:

hi, sorry for the late update...

but here you go ^^

thanks for reading...