The Dance

Blood Affection

 

 


¦ the dance pt. 1 ¦

 

Taeyeon looked at herself at the mirror for who knew how many times. She had always been such a pretty girl, but nobody could ever understand Taeyeon’s lack of self-confidence. She wore a very simple pale pink cutout dress that revealed the beautiful skin of her chest. The skirt flowed down to her ankles and let her silver strapped heels to peep out. Her hair was tied back in a low tail.

 

She huffed in dubiety for the last time while looking at her reflection before finally deciding on getting her nose on the ball. She grabbed her clutch and walked in timid pace downstairs. Once she reached the family room she was greeted by her grandmother who was sitting in front of the inanimate fire place on the couch reading some novel with her half-moon shaped reading glasses hanging on her nose.

 

Soojin noticed the timorous steps she knew belonged to her granddaughter and shifted her attention to the source. “Are you going somewhere, darling?” she asked quite surprised. “You look lovely,” she added.

 

“Thank you grandma,” Taeyeon smiled shyly. “I’m going to the ball at the opera house.”

 

Soojin looked impassive. She closed her book and took off her reading glasses; the gestures that made Taeyeon squirmed in her spot and squeezed her clutch nervously. “The spring ball?” Soojin asked. Taeyeon nodded, and Soojin’s expression was somewhat unnerving. “Why didn’t you tell me you were going?”

 

Taeyeon sighed. She recalled how persuasive Sunny was being to her for the last twelve hours. She was actually anticipating the ball very much, but not until her brief meeting with Leeteuk; she wasn’t so sure anymore because she wasn’t ready to see him again after the prior day. Nevertheless, Sunny was persistent and didn’t want to take no for answer. Taeyeon just needed to deal with this one night and just hoped she wouldn’t have to encounter him.

 

“I… wasn’t going to go. But Sunny insisted me to accompany her,” Taeyeon explained.

 

“Is Jungsoo going to be there?” Soojin asked hastily.

 

Taeyeon was a bit taken aback with the question. Her grandma’s tone sounded a bit accusing and prompting. The look on the older lady was impassive yet intimidating all at once. Taeyeon found it odd seeing her grandma spoke about Jungsoo that way, for as long as she knew her grandma had always been fond of the man. “I… don’t know. Probably.”

 

Soojin put down the book on the table and spun her figure so that she faced her granddaughter wholly. “I’m not going to lie to you, Taeyeonnie, but I don’t feel like permitting you go to the ball. I know Tiffany Hwang and her family and I don’t like them.”

 

As far as Taeyeon remembered, she had never told her grandmother anything about the ball, let alone telling her who hosted it. But she shrugged the thought away and concentrated more on the reasons why Soojin didn’t like her going to the event.

 

Soojin sighed and stared back at Taeyeon’s jumbled gaze. “Just becareful, okay, darling? Do not get too friendly with someone you just met.” Soojin held her breath as if she hadn’t finished her cautionary. “And don’t get too cordial with Jungsoo.” And with that Soojin stormed out of the room leaving Taeyeon dazed.

 

---00---

 

Taeyeon fidgeted her fingers and a strange tingling sensation crawled all the way from her stomach through her chest; she couldn’t stop shifting in her seat. Taeyeon had never been to anything like this. She pulled out her mirrored compact and checked on her make-up once again. Taeyeon had a beautiful creamy face, with only thin powder, smoky shadows and adequate eye liner, and a little bit of lipstick, she looked incredibly stunning.

 

She brushed her hands through her dress for the thousandth times, trying to get rid of any wrinkles detectable—although there were actually none. Taeyeon was nervous. Not only was she nervous about dancing, but also about the fact that Jungsoo would probably present.

 

The limo slowed down in front of a palatial building; a long line of other limousines and sports cars extended just before her own car. The opera house was majestic; the Italian design of the construction astonished Taeyeon’s liking, probably there were about three stories including the rooftop. Gigantic windows with rectangular shape on the second floor were framed with two potent pillars each. The double red carpet looked tiny compared to the broad stairs; especially since it was sprawled at the center of it.

 

She peeked outside and witnessed Seoul elites dressed in their fineries and jewelries. Some of them Taeyeon did not know of but some of them she recognized as her schoolmates; some of them were probably much older than she was, perhaps late twenties or early thirties.  All of them walked down the red carpet gracefully and stopped once or twice for a brief photo shoot.

 

Just then Taeyeon noticed almost a dozen men holding their cameras and tried to capture every elite that walked up the stairs. She did not know if they were paparazzi or not, but they definitely made her nervous.

 

When the limo stopped right in front of the start of the red carpet, a man in uniform opened the car for her and offered his hand. She took it tentatively and stepped her foot out of the car. She walked up the stairs carefully and decided not to stop for even the briefest photo shoot. Taeyeon clasped her clutch tightly in front of her belly and passed by the pillars to the sophisticated door.

 

As she walked in her heels, the marbled floor made a soft thump; the appendage at the lower back of her dress swept the floor lazily. The foyer was empty but there were a couple of people chatting casually at the side of the hallway. Taeyeon kept walking and when her eyes met Lee Donghae’s, she instinctively gave a polite and warm smile. Donghae raised the wine glass on his hand and gave a salute and a smile too.

 

Taeyeon reached the end of the foyer and was greeted by the bellhop. He asked for her invitation, which then she gave immediately and was soon ushered towards the ballroom. Soon they arrived in front of a black modern two-door, and the bellhop gave a last appreciative bow before opening the door.

 

She entered the door and was greeted by a warm ample great hall. The interior and décor matched perfectly with the outer design of the opera house; the Italian style which Taeyeon had slowly grown fond of. The room was divided into two vividly separable section; the dining area with lots of rounded tables surrounded by immoderate chairs, and the wooden dance floor. Three colossal crystal chandeliers hung above the ceiling and gave a romantic sensation.

 

The podium was probably what caught Taeyeon’s eyes the most. The stage was illuminated by sophisticated neon lights that hung unsystematically at the back ground. The band and the orchestra were collaborating and were already playing some slow song that Taeyeon did not recognize, though it was lovely.

 

Everything was simply opulent.

 

---00---

 

Leeteuk grabbed his second glass of champagne from the passing by chambermaid and returned his attention to Heechul and Jay who began laughing at their mischievous deeds during college. Although Leeteuk never took part in any of them, he was always there to witness first hand, and they were always entertaining.

 

“Alright, alright,” Jay said as he fought to sojourn his laughter. “Here’s a toast—“ he raised his flute followed by Leeteuk and Heechul who looked at him with a gauging face. “—to our good old times, Despite Teukie here that had always been a loyal audience. Although… I do remember that one time when you planned the whole thing…” Jay raised his eyebrows meaningfully.

 

Heechul exploded in laughter while trying not to spill his liquor. “Yah…! I remember that one. You were one bad Teuk-ah!” he laughed again.

 

The blonde guy just smiled in response, obviously wasn’t really proud of what he had done. “Cheers!” he exclaimed with a nonchalant voice. The three guys clinked their flutes together and sipped the golden liquid.

 

Jay and Heechul continued their chat and Leeteuk decided to just enjoy the music that the band played at the moment. The hall was crowded but the event hadn’t started yet. Various people were the guest but most of them were people that he knew; his former college mates, his colleagues, Tiffany’s relatives, the Kims, the Lees, the Chois, and many more. He could see that Tiffany had kept the ball private because the guests were mostly within his circle of acquaintance too.

 

He looked to his surrounding, until from the corner of his eyes he caught someone descending the stairs. He watched as the lady in the pink carefully strolled down step by step. Taeyeon was flawless. The cutout on her chest gave a light view of her dainty skin and Leeteuk just couldn’t stop staring. It was as if the room was empty and everything went silent, as if she was the only person there.

 

Taeyeon landed on the carpeted floor full of poise; she was charming. She caught sight of whom Leeteuk presumed was her schoolmate—since he knew Taeyeon didn’t have that much of friends in Seoul—and she smiled before exchanging air kisses on both cheeks.

 

A small sheepish smile crept up Leeteuk’s mouth, and it didn’t go unnoticed by his best friend who apparently just finished his tête-à-tête with Jay. Heechul moved beside his friend and immediately realized whom Leeteuk had been staring at.

 

“Starstruck now, are we?” Heechul said sarcastically but playfully while looking at Taeyeon—whom was still talking with her girlfriend.

 

Leeteuk took a sip at his champagne. He just couldn’t take his eyes off of her. Everyone else in the room seemed incompatible.

 

“Why don’t you go and greet her?” Heechul suggested.

 

Leeteuk took another sip from his flute. He wasn’t sure if Taeyeon was going to be glad to see him, considering that she had claimed that it was best for the both of them not to be involved with each other. The look on Leeteuk’s face was between upset and hopeful; upset because he knew Taeyeon wouldn’t want to see him, but hopeful that he might have a chance to change her mind.

 

---00---

 

Taeyeon felt a bit left out. She didn’t know most of the people in the room, and she had just talked to one of her classmate, Park Hyomin, whom she wasn’t really sure if she knew her that well. She searched the entire hall for someone that she knew she could have a conversation to, but silently hoped she wouldn’t have to see Jungsoo.

 

The people looked like fishes in the net, there must’ve been almost seventy people at the hall. The ball room was spacious, but somehow the crowd seemed a little too overwhelming. Or maybe that was just what Taeyeon felt. It had been ten minutes since Hyomin left her and she still couldn’t find anyone she could intrude.

 

She stood by the bar as she searched the crowd again. Lee Donghae had already entered the room and was now flirting with his girlfriend. She watched as Im Yoona giggled on every word that Donghae whispered to her. She shifted her attention to the other side of the room and found Cho Kyuhyun and Kim Kibum staring at something—or rather someone. She trailed their gazes and found only one woman that they could possibly be staring at—Seohyun.

 

Seohyun was wearing a white strapless devoré silk dress that lingered beautifully from the top of her s to her toes. Taeyeon remembered Sunny telling something about Seohyun having a crush on Kyuhyun. But why was Kyuhyun the one that ogled at her and not the other way round?

 

The wooden dance floor was full of the guests but they weren’t dancing—merely conversing one with another—and the tables were mostly empty. Taeyeon had decided to just sit at one of the bar stools and faced the crowd. Really, she never thought that her beloved Seoul had this kind of society, and she never thought she’d be in this kind of event.

 

She searched around again, but this time she didn’t hope anymore, merely just wondering when they will start the occasion. She glanced once to her right, and what she saw made her heart leapt. Jungsoo accidentally caught her gaze and somehow—although Taeyeon wished she could—she couldn’t glance away. Jungsoo was casually having a conversation with a black haired man whom Taeyeon now remembered as Heechul. Jungsoo smiled his dimple at her. He had the sweetest smile a man could ever. He raised his flute and saluted her like Donghae did earlier, only this time she blushed hard and was forced to turn away.

 

Taeyeon felt heat crept up her cheeks—perhaps by this moment she wouldn’t need shadings anymore. What she hoped wouldn’t happen, it happened eventually. Honestly speaking, for the fifteen minutes since she entered the hall, she felt relieved knowing that maybe there was a possibility that Jungsoo wouldn’t attend the ball. But that possibility betrayed her.

 

She turned to the bar and ordered for a sparkling water. She needed something—non alcohol—to cool down the heat in her cheeks. And just when she took her first sip, the band stopped and the lights were dimmed. The hall was almost dark except for the stage; the neon lights were acting as the spot lights.

 

The emcee walked across the stage from the side of the stage. He wore a fitting suit and a blue bow tie, his shoes were no less shinier than the male guests’. He tapped the microphone a couple times, and when he was satisfied, he began to speak.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 10th Annual Spring Charity Ball,” he smiled. A faint and modest applause was heard all over the hall. Taeyeon noticed everybody’s attention was fixed onto the stage. But she couldn’t help but eminently feel a pair of eyes was watching her from afar. She knew whose eyes they were, and that made her uneasy. She shifted restlessly on the stool; she couldn’t even concentrate on what the emcee was saying. Refusing to look back to those piercing eyes, she decided to get up and walked towards the now quiet crowd.

 

“…Please welcome, the host of this year’s Spring Ball, Hwang Tiffany-ssi.” The emcee gestured towards his side before giving his own applause, followed by the crowd. Tiffany emerged from the side of the podium and walked gracefully with her never somber smile. It was as if the whole room was amost blinded by her eye smile.

 

Her red silk dress wavered gracefully behind her legs as she walked over. She smiled once at the emcee and unremittingly towards her guests. She cleared . “Good evening everyone, and welcome. I am so honored to have had the privilege of hosting this season’s ball. As we all acknowledge that spring means formal and charity. For this year’s charity, we will be auctioning every dance you will have and every song you will request. And of course—“ Tiffany smiled sweetly. “All profit will go to Blood Affection Foundation…”

 

How apt, Taeyeon thought. If only those people knew she was a vampire…

 

Tiffany finished her opening speech in no time and returned the event back to the hands of the emcee. The prim looking master of ceremony suggested that the dinner will be served in five minutes and that the guests may all proceed to their respective tables.

 

Soon over twenty chambermaids started ushering the clueless guests one by one to their respective chairs. Taeyeon decided to search for her own chair. Thankfully her table wasn’t that far from the spot where she stood before and soon she was already seated.

 

She was seated at the same table with Park Gyuri, Jung Yunho, and Jung Jessica. There were still two empty seats next to hers. How happy she was upon seeing the names on the card—Lee Sunny and Lee Sungmin. She really thought she would never get to see her friend and that she would be a loner all night.

 

“Taeng!”

 

Taeyeon looked back and was greeted with Sunny’s beaming face next to Sungmin’s smiling one. She got up and hugged her friend tightly, expressing her gratitude for her arrival. Sungmin gave a brief cheek to cheek kiss and said his hello.

 

“You’re here…” Sunny trailed in a somewhat surprised tone.

 

“Yeah,” Taeyeon smiled. “How can I not be here when you practically threatened me?”

 

The three of them laughed and went to their seats before finally enjoying the served dinner.

 

---00---

 

The dinner was marvelous; it was a three course meal and was utterly delicious. During the dinner, several charity staffs started collecting lists of songs that later they would form into somewhat a playlist, along with their cheques. How surprised Taeyeon was upon realizing the amount of money these elites were willing to donate.

 

Sungmin wrote 1 mill Won cheque (approximately 900USD) over one song he chose, and another 1 mill won over Sunny’s choice. She peeked over at Jessica and saw she wrote 1,5 mill Won cheque (approximately 1000USD) over one song she picked. Holy crap. Taeyeon had to fake a smile and said that she would pick a song later when the staff came to her.

 

How was she going to pay one million Won for one song? It wasn’t like she was buying something luxurious. She was not that rich. Sunny was not that rich either but Sungmin was an over-generous boyfriend.

 

But since it was a charity, she realized she needed to at least donate some of her fortune. She secretly wrote down 100.000 for one random song and agreed to transfer the money later.

 

---00---

 

After dinner the songs that the guests had requested as well as donated started playing, soon couples started filling the wooden dance floor. Various genres were played, but most of them were slow tempo. The elites danced graciously and paid every attention on their steps.

 

It had only been a few minutes since dinner was finished but Heechul was already tipsy. He had had a couple rounds of drinks with Jay and his other former college mates. It was really fun, but one thing was distracting him; the fact that Jessica wasn’t by his side since the beginning of the night.

 

Heechul gulped his last slide of brandy and tried to savor the burning sensation in his throat. He stood by the bar and requested the bartender for another round. His head started feeling heavy but he didn’t care. It hurt him knowing that Jessica would always run away whenever he tried to talk to her.

 

“Isn’t this a little too early?” a soft cynical voice was heard from Heechul’s side. The one voice that would make his day and the last voice he wished he would ever hear—thanks to the sarcasm.

 

“What do you want, Yuri?” Heechul said impassively as he took the drink he ordered.

 

“Jeez, I thought chivalry never died.” There that was the sarcasm again.

 

“Not with you. No. Chivalry had died the day you were born.”

 

Yuri raised her eyebrows in amusement. She ordered some martini while Heechul continued to observe Jessica. Yuri sat on the bar stool right next to where Heechul was standing. Obviously he wasn’t pleasant with the other being seated there, yet he could not and would not tear his gaze away and go.

 

Yuri glanced at Heechul who was sipping his liquor from the crystal and continued glaring. She smirked. “I heard you broke up with her.”

 

Heechul stayed still. “No, I did not. And neither did she.”

 

“Well, rumors spread fast and wolves on campus are ready to pounce at her.”

 

The black haired man flinched. He did not wish to continue having this conversation with Yuri, simply because she wasn’t the right person to have this kind of talk to. Although, Yuri seemed to enjoy the conversation. After receiving her drink, Yuri spun the stool and faced towards Heechul’s gaze.

 

“Ah, look at that. Reminiscing the old past aren’t they?” Yuri said with another cynicism.

 

Jessica was conversing with Donghae, and from Heechul’s perception, they seemed a little bit too intimate. Donghae was holding the small of her back with his hand and talked sweetly to her ear, which made all the blood in Heechul’s head boil. They had some history. And Donghae would be the last person on earth Heechul would trust Jessica to be with.

 

When Donghae started rubbing Jessica’s upper arm affectionately, Heechul’s grip on the crystal tensed as if he would smash the glass and his jaw tightened. He made a low growl in his throat unknowingly. Yuri, who noticed all this, just smirked to herself and gulped her drink. How she loved drama like this. It’s a triangular love—or perhaps a rectangular, considering Yoona.

 

“From what I’ve seen, you haven’t done enough effort to win her back, oppa. You surely don’t want her to come back to Donghae oppa’s embrace now do you?”

 

Heechul was holding everything inside him not to jump at Donghae or at Yuri. The sight itself was quite tantalizing, he didn’t need any more provocative discussion on what he had done to make up with Jessica. Heechul glanced at Yuri, and he observed her from head to toe like a scanning machine; she was wearing so little—he just noticed. “Aren’t you a little undressed?” his gaze was judging.

 

Yuri was wearing black embellished crepe backless dress. The bodice was golden material and it only covered the front part of her upper part of body, the rim practically showed a little part of her s and stomach. She felt confident in it. And in reality she did nailed in that dress; no one could pull it off like Yuri, y and charming at the same time.

 

“And you’re liking it, aren’t you?” she then jumped off the stool and left.

 

Heechul didn’t care, so he went back to where Jessica was. She was still conversing with Donghae, and it seemed that he went a little bit too close this time. Heechul clenched his fist on his side and the liquid in his crystal began to waver.

 

He wasn’t sure of what he should do to make Jessica forgive him. He absolutely could not tell the truth, he could not tell her why he was with that e that night. He could not tell her anything without jeopardizing her own safety. But seeing her drifting away slowly fed him a bigger insecurity.

 

 

 


to be continued~

 

 

 

 

a/n:

sorry for the late update ^^

i decided to split this chapter because apparently it's a little bit too long...